Cover Image: Magic: The Life of Earvin “Magic” Johnson

Magic: The Life of Earvin “Magic” Johnson

FIVE STARS! Magic: The Life of Earvin “Magic” Johnson by Roland Lazenby is a captivating and comprehensive biography that delves into the extraordinary journey of one of basketball's most iconic figures. Lazenby skillfully wove together the highs, lows, and controversies that defined Johnson's life both on and off the court.

Readers will love how vividly Lazenby portrays Magic Johnson's ascent from a young basketball prodigy to a global superstar. His infectious smile, dazzling no-look passes, and charismatic playing style transformed the NBA and elevated it to unprecedented heights. I also enjoy how the book takes readers behind the scenes of the Los Angeles Lakers during their legendary “Showtime” era. Magic's leadership, combined with his flair for entertainment, turned the Lakers into a basketball dynasty.

I love how Lazenby didn’t shy away from a tough topic. In 1991, Magic shocked the world by revealing his HIV-positive status. Lazenby explores this pivotal moment, shedding light on the impact it had on public awareness and Magic's own resilience. Lazenby takes readers beyond basketball, and into Magic's entrepreneurial journey that is equally compelling. From retirement to a triumphant return, he leveraged his legendary willpower to achieve new heights in business.

Lazenby's meticulous research and extensive interviews with coaches, teammates, opponents, and Magic himself create a rich story. The biography transcends individual achievement, offering insights into America's cultural shifts over three centuries. And you know I’m here for that kind of content!

I consider Magic: The Life of Earvin “Magic” Johnson is a must-read for sports enthusiasts, history buffs, and anyone curious about the man behind the legend. Lazenby's balanced portrayal captures Magic's brilliance, flaws, and enduring impact. Whether you're a basketball fan or not, this biography will leave you inspired and reflective.

This isn't just about basketball. This is a generational saga that mirrors the complexities of America. Dive into this remarkable biography and discover the magic that transcends the court.

Thank you to NetGalley and Celadon Books for a temporary e-ARC in exchange for my honest review.

This book is long. There was almost too much of a story before Magic's career and it took a while for me to get into it. I had to skip through a few chapters because I was more interested in reading about his career and success in business.

I am big Los angles lakers fans so when I got opportunity to read Magic the life of Earvin Magic Johnson I was so excited to read the book about greatest point guard, and I really like the book talking about his history is like his basketball career routine is done after basketball that he owns the part of the Dodgers and the football team to it all the stuff that he went through with having HIV, I thought this book was so good!!! If you a basketball fan you needs to read this book about one of the greatest Laker player to ever play the game of basketball.

“To see that kind of showboating basketball leaves the impression that it is all easy and natural, all God’s perfect gift. All …fun.”

But in the pages of this book there are plenty of stories, plenty of details that were not fun for the people involved yet will be extremely entertaining for readers.

Here’s a book that really surprised me with how interesting it was. I enjoy collegiate and pro sports, but fiction (from historical to YA) is my go-to genre. However, this author’s style of writing turned 704 (e-book) pages into a fast-paced tale of athletic skill, pride, jealousy, competition, love, and self-destructive excess. Going into this book, I was actually concerned that I’d have to say hey, you chose the wrong person for an ARC. But my preconceived idea was the only thing that was wrong, This was a 5 star read. Why? The author never spent too long on anyone one day or month or year or scandal, but just kept up a fast pace, unfolding astounding research in a conversational tone, uncovering all sorts of facts that truly propelled me through the pages.

No, the behavior of the real people mentioned in this book is not all admirable; I knew that much going in. However, this is so much more than the story of just one famous athlete. It’s an entire era of excess with some incredible inside information about the world of sports in general. Thank you NetGalley and Celadon Books for this experience!!

This is a really great and in depth biography that covers the fascinating life of Magic Johnson. Roland Lazenby, the author known for his fantastic biographies on Kobe Bryant and Michael Jordan, once again delivers an outstanding read. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and highly recommend it to anyone interested in basketball. Lazenby again stands out as the preeminent biographer of basketball's most legendary players.