Cover Image: Midnight Showing

Midnight Showing

Megan Shepherd has done it again! I read "Malice House" as an ARC reviewer as well and loved it. This second installment did not disappoint!

This picks up just a few months after the events of Malice House. I loved MH and was very excited for the second in the series. Malice House has an edge over this one for me, but this is still a great installment in this series. Like Malice House, this book is dark with magic, is fast paced, and builds wonderfully. The family curse and its origins make for a great story and, as a scary movie buff, I really loved the film aspect of this one. The end is slightly cliff hanger-ish and I’m hoping for a third.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for a digital copy and a chance to read this early. All opinions are my own.

This book just wasn’t great for me 🤷‍♀️

I have to say I really enjoyed this eARC. Thank you NetGalley.

I didn't realize at first that this would be a second in series, and since I'm always afraid of missing out on clues, I decided to read the first book in series before I started. I am glad I did, as this book is not a stand alone. Whether that is on purpose or not, I do suggest anyone read the first book Malice House before starting Midnight Showing.

This book takes on a bit more horror / crime whereas book one felt more dark fantasy, dark magic, and curses. I loved the premise behind book 1, but I have to say I love the turn book 2 takes more. I enjoyed learning about horror movies, and the suspense of running from the encyclopedia salesman. I didn't quite love the romance parts, but it wasn't very distracting. I did skim the sex scenes though, as I don't feel like reading sex in my horror books. Not sure why, just wasn't interested here. lol. Normally, I don't care.

overall, I enjoyed this story, the writing, and the characters. I would recommend to fans of dark fantasy, haunted films, horror movies, curses, and urban legends.

Thank you to the author Megan Shepherd, publishers Hyperion Avenue, and NetGalley for an advance digital copy of MIDNIGHT SHOWING. All views are mine.

Three (or more) things I loved:

1. The backstory of the fictional film, The Hundredth Stair, is impeccably done. Love the meta touches, like comparing it the the ultra famous film, The Ring. Especially love that Shepherd points out how meta this film is, itself, with the TV snow bleeding into reality. Good stuff!

2. I love the first person narrator's random references to some detective coming after her. The author handles restricting information really well here and it builds great tension, suspense, and conflict.

Three (or less) things I didn't love:

This section isn't only for criticisms. It's merely for items that I felt something for other than "love" or some interpretation thereof.

1. I really loved the film stuff, The metafiction. It borders on brilliant and I was excited to see where it was going. I even liked the film doctor murdering people in real life. But the "people of ink" thing, and the cursed people and monsters? The plot is just going in too many different directions. This new material distracts from everything Sheperd set up in the first half of the book.

2. The concept has merit, but it is so, so hard to follow. I mean, this plot is all over the place.

3. I get the feeling I would have understood and enjoyed the book better if I had read the first in the series, but I'm not even sure. Either way, this book should make more sense on its own.

Rating: 📽🎬🎞 meta layers
Recommend? Yes
Finished: Sep 27 '23
Format: Digital arc, Kindle
Read this book if you like:
👻 horror stories
🪢 metafiction
🎥 books about films

After reading Malice House I was super excited to get back into this world, there were so many possiblities. Unfortunately, I was slightly dissapointed by this. Every time the characters were faced with a problem that felt impossible, it seemed like the outs were too simple and they got out of everything very easily. It was really interesting to learn more about the curse and how it works and diving deeper into that was my favorite part of this book. Most of my complaints early on were later explained or changed and that's really what saved this book for me. I do think that if I had known it was going to be more about the fantasy elements of the first book I would have enjoyed it more, but obviously that is a problem with my reading style of choosing to know the bare minimum before starting books. This does feel like it was set up for a third book and I would still absolutely pick it up with more enjoyment than this, but otherwise this felt like a very satisying ending for a duology.

A great installment to the series. The book will take hold of you and not let go until the last word.
Many thanks to Hyperion Avenue and to Netgalley for providing me with a galley in exchange for my honest opinion.

This was slow to start for me but once the pace picked up, I was really enthralled. Shepherd does a great job of building mystery and intrigue. This was a compelling, albeit stressful read!

A fun premise with a supernatural twist - the darkness of this story kept me reading to see what would happen next! Well worth your time.

I read the first story in this series, "Malice House" and it was amazing! This is the sequel and it picks up right where the last one left off. This is NOT a standalone novel, you must read the Malice House to learn the story and the characters and what brought them to this point in time. Also, many of the characters overlap from the first story, so just for better understanding, I'd recommend reading the first one first.
That said- this one was not as good as the first, but still worth the time. I really hope there is a third in development. I feel as if there was a cliffhanger of sorts towards the end that makes me want to know what else -- or WHO ELSE (because monsters)- could be coming....

Thank you to #Netgalley & the publishers for the ARC of this one in exchange for my honest review!

"Midnight Showing" is the 2nd book of Megan Shepherd's "Malice Compendium" series. The first was "Malice House" which I read and enjoyed so much!! I was thrilled to be approved to get an early access ticket to the new one! This book picks up where that one left off, and the main character is looking for answers about the family curse. Being on the road, her and her sister are being followed by one of the creatures from the previous book. If the sisters don't find answers quick, everyone is going to die. The closer they come, the more scary for them it gets!

While there are new characters introduced here, this book is highly attached to the previous book and there are a lot of overlapping characters, so I would not read this as a standalone. Make sure you read Malice House before venturing into this one (you won't regret it, I guarantee you!) The characters we meet are great additives and the new monsters- scary!

I don't always find Horror in my list of 'must read' books, but this is a series I loved and I am really looking forward to there possibly being a book 3!!!

Huge thanks to #Netgalley & the publishers for me advanced reader's copy in exchange for my honest review!

Yet again, I’m not sure about these books, this being another Malice house book, I just wasn’t intrigued by either, it honestly gave me like goosebump book vibes. It wasn’t a horrible read but it didn’t capture my attention that much either.

Thanks for the ARC, NetGalley! This book had me on the edge of my seat. I love the concept of a horror series - it's unique and unexpected and really has me wanting more! I always look forward to books from Megan Shepherd because I know they will be good. I thought that this book continued well from the first book, Malice House, and carried the characters well. It really hits the ground running at the middle of the book!

This frightening story continues to make you grab the sides of your chair as you read. The follow-up to Shepherd’s eerie story, Malice House is filled with even more extraordinary monsters and bogeymen

Okay, what’s the deal? This sequel has so few ratings and I DON’T UNDERSTAND WHY. This series has the coolest concept for a horror series, and the writing is excellent. The fact that people are sleeping on these books is killing me. Seriously, this series would work so well as a TV show! A bloodline with powers to bring fictional characters to life, two badass FMCs, a monster-turned-hero (…maybe?) as the love interest, and plenty of dark themes and descriptions to keep horror fans happy — what more could a person want??? Midnight Showing managed to shift the focus from scary short stories to horror movies in a way that kept me hooked, and introduced some fun new villains while bringing back the big baddie from the first book. Plus, we’re introduced to a new character that will take the series in a new direction I’m so excited for! I hope beyond hope that the author keeps this series going because I may be addicted.

I also want to say that one of my pet peeves in books is when there’s a book within the book that’s supposed to be critically acclaimed/amazing quality, but the way it’s actually written is kinda shitty and you’re left wondering who the hell the critics are in the fictional world who thought that piece of trash was any good,,,, but Megan Shepherd pleasantly surprised me with her ability to write another story in another voice so seamlessly and expertly. Brownie points for pulling that feat off!!

Always love me some Megan Shepherd books! Will always look for her books to purchase and usually try to buy ahead of time because I'm that much of a fan.

Midnight Showing continues Haven’s journey from Malic House as the second book in the Malice Compendium series. I absolutely loved Malice House and looked forward to reading the next book. I thoroughly enjoyed Midnight Showing and how it incorporated horror movies into the mix. It is important to note that in order to understand this book, you must first read Malice House.

I really liked this book! Perfect for the creepy vibes. Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for access to this book.

This one picks up right where Malice House left off. It started out a bit slow and I was on the fence, but once the events really started to take off at the halfway point I was hooked. I absolutely love Haven and Rafe, and I loved seeing their relationship develop. I also loved that we finally get to meet Rob and get to know his character better. Haven and her sister’s relationship takes some new and interesting turns in this story and I enjoyed those dynamics as well. The screenplay excerpts at the beginning of each chapter were a fun way to get to know the story worlds better. They related to the overall narrative in interesting ways and it was a great way to break up the story. No spoilers, but there are some other characters that come back in this one as well. The stakes are higher than ever, with all the action-packed horrors that unfold. The world-building expands as Haven and her sister learn more about their heritage and their family’s curse. The vintage, Hollywood, noir settings are a really fun experience. From the way it ends, I’m hoping and expecting there to be a third book in this series and I will definitely be reading it. This was a creepy, exciting ride and I highly recommend this series! It’s the perfect blend of horror, mystery, thriller, and even a bit of fantasy.

In the sequel to Malice House, Haven is grappling with living among the creations from Bedtime Stories for Monsters. She and Kylie traveled to Portugal to hopefully get answers about the family curse. Once back in the states, their quest turns into a murder mystery.

Uncle Arnold is out there. He can compel someone to do anything at all with just a whisper and he wants revenge.

The whole concept of the Malic House story is really cool. It's a mix of horror and fantasy set in "the real world", and I think it works. One of the elements I loved through out the first book was the excerpts from Bedtime Stores at the beginning of each chapter. Book two continues that theme with movie scripts.