Cover Image: Never Whistle at Night

Never Whistle at Night

This anthology was such a beautiful representation of indigenous dark fantasy. Some of these stories horrified me, some made me cry, but all of them impacted me. Also the forward by Stephen Graham Jones really set the tone for all of book. I adored this and would highly recommend.

What an amazing compilation of stories! Equal parts terrifying, meaningful, and well written. I spaced these out to keep from creeping myself out too much and it was so wonderful to have a couple unique stories to read every day. I loved working through these over the fall but they are also perfect for long winter nights. The collections start strong and continue that way with so many regional and traditional stories told through a modern lens. I particularly enjoyed the story by Dani Trujillo. Highly recommended. I will be going back to this collection over the years and gifting it to my horror loving friends.

Great collection of short fiction spanning a broad variety of content. Some stories felt scarier, while others were more unnerving, while others were just plain upsetting. There's a delicate balance here between stories solidly rooted in reality, those that feel more fantastical, and those that hover in that hazy place between the two. I really enjoyed how many different nations from across North America are represented in these stories, giving readers exposure to a wide variety of source material. Anthologies can be tricky to rate because readers are bound to enjoy some stories more than others, but this collection is definitely one I wouldn't hesitate to recommend.

Special thanks to NetGalley and Penguin Random House for an ARC in exchange for review.

This cover is stunning but the book was just ok. I did not like the plot or the pacing like I thought I would. The writing was ok so give this a try but it wasn’t for me.

Never Whistle at Night is a spine-tingling collection of original horror stories rooted in Indigenous folklore. The central theme warns against whistling after dark, lest you summon vengeful spirits. Tales range from ghosts seeking justice to creatures enacting bloody revenge.

While compelling concepts anchor each piece, the execution is sometimes messy, with unfulfilling endings that undercut the fright factor. As an anthology, the stories work together to create an eerie atmosphere. But as stand-alone reads, some lack adequate structure or satisfaction.

For fans of Indigenous horror looking for a chilling reminder that malevolent forces lurk in the darkness, this collection mostly delivers. Just don't expect every twist or turn to land. Those hungry for retribution will find it here, but others may be left whistling for more cohesive thrills.

Thank you to NetGalley and Vintage Anchor for the ARC.

I have to ask myself why I keep reading collection of short stories when most of time, I don’t tend to like collections of short stories. So, with that as a warning, here I go with the review. I requested this ARC purely off the title. I get yelled at by my brother for whistling at night, so I wanted lots of creepy stories and maybe some whistling. I enjoyed many of these, but the range of stories included the horrific as well as genre horror. I consider horrific stories about abuse of children especially, and these are true historical atrocities but throw me when I am expecting monsters, especially considering the cute, colorful cover. Finally, the order of stories and the one that ended would not have been my first choice. I would have ended with Darcie Little Badger’s, as also one of my favorites. All in all, I think some different editorial choices could have been made, but there were lots of fun stories, and I really liked the introduction.

A gripping, scary, and fascinating anthology of short stories. I enjoyed reading this as a way to hear more from authors I already knew and to learn about authors I hadn’t read before. I’ll try not to get nightmares!

I loved this! Anthologies are one of my favorite genres because they so often let the author just go wild. These were all amazing!

While I expected more horror in this collection, I realize the term “dark fiction” is broad. What this collection does best is bring together a fantastic group of indigenous writers to highlight stories and perspectives we don’t often see. I loved every page.

I was given an ARC of this title in exchange for an honest review.

NEVER WHISTLE AT NIGHT clearly has a gorgeous, appealing cover, and the stories live up to the art in terms of variety and life. I enjoyed seeing how each author approached the horror genre and wove in themes about indigenous culture or their personal lived experience.

If you like short story anthologies, indigenous fiction, horror and realistic stories that make you think, that could definitely happen, add this book to your tbr. It’s also a great choice for Native American heritage month in November.

I’m always excited to read stories from diverse background, specially when I can learn of different cultures and where some stories and superstitions come from.

I’ve enjoyed reading the Indigenous stories in this book, and how the authors used mostly contemporary settings but working in old stories and myths. Full of monsters I’d never heard of.

Some stories have you jumping through emotions, some are more paranormal heavy, and others are creepy in the sense that the events could happen, some stories are even gruesome and unsettling. One element that’s frequently used is centering the colonizer as the source or cause of the evil. For me those are the scariest of all, the ones where the monsters are entirely human. The best scary stories are the ones that have some truth in them.

My favorites were:

🐍 Eulogy for a Brother, Resurrected by Carson Faust
🐍 Night Moves by Andrea L. Rogers
🐍 The Scientist’s Horror Story by Darcie Little Badger
🐍 Collections by Amber Blaeser-Wardzala

My only complaint was the lack of TWs, maybe mine didn’t have them yet since it was an arc, and I really hope the final version included them because I think there were several stories had me pause and take a break.

I think this anthology has a little bit of everything for everyone. The stories are short enough you can read them a bit at a time, savoring the mystery and spookyness of each one.

This was such a fun collection of short stories ranging from creepy to down-right disgusting!

I started this anthology as an e-book and then decided to finish via audiobook on a roadtrip and it was such a great reading experience. The narrators were all incredible and I loved getting to hear a little bit about each author after their story.

My favorites were: White Hills by Rebecca Roanhorse, Navajos Don't Wear Elk Teeth by Conley Lyons, Quantum by Nick Medina, Tick Talk by Cherie Dimaline, Snakes Are Born in the Dark by D. H. Trujillo, Behind Colin's Eyes by Shane Hawk, Sunday's by David Heska Wanbli Weiden, Limbs by Waubgeshig Rice.

This was an amazing collection of stories. Normally when I read horror books or short stories they're never really that scary to me. But this collection had me actively getting creeped out by certain stories. I loved every minute of reading this and I will be adding it to my own personal collection.

I was very excited to read this one, it is packed with some of my favorite indigenous authors. I didn't really get into it to start, so I am thinking I may have to revisit this one later -- it just wasn't for me for now.

This collection was such a treat. I not only got to read authors I already know and love (an amazing introduction by the author of My Heart is a Chainsaw, Stephen Graham Jones, and a fun werewolf story by author of Man Made Monsters, Andrea L. Rodgers) but also got introductions to a huge roster of new-to-me writers that I'm just dying to get to know better.

For folks who want a really meaty dark fiction collection to sink their teeth into, Never Whistle At Night is perfect. There are 26 stories, running the gamut from the extremely dark and extremely real ("Sundays" by David Heska Wanbli Weiden) to the darkly fantastical yet no less real ("Eulogy for a Brother, Resurrected" by Carson Faust).

All of the stories were fantastic (see my personal ratings below, under the spoiler tag), but my personal stand out favorites were "Navajos Don't Wear Elk Teeth" by Conley Lyons, "Heart-Shaped Clock" by Kelli Jo Ford, "Sundays" by David Heska Wanbli Weiden, and "Collections" by Amber Blaeser-Wardzala.

"Kushtuka" - ⭐⭐⭐⭐
"Capgras" - ⭐⭐⭐⭐
"The Scientist's Horror Story" - ⭐⭐⭐⭐
"Collections" - ⭐⭐⭐⭐
"Limbs" - ⭐⭐⭐

Thank you to the wonderful people behind Never Whistle at Night for providing a digital ARC via Netgalley!

From the publisher:
Many Indigenous people believe that one should never whistle at night. This belief takes many forms: for instance, Native Hawaiians believe it summons the Hukai’po, the spirits of ancient warriors, and Native Mexicans say it calls Lechuza, a witch that can transform into an owl. But what all these legends hold in common is the certainty that whistling at night can cause evil spirits to appear—and even follow you home.

These wholly original and shiver-inducing tales introduce readers to ghosts, curses, hauntings, monstrous creatures, complex family legacies, desperate deeds, and chilling acts of revenge. Introduced and contextualized by bestselling author Stephen Graham Jones, these stories are a celebration of Indigenous peoples’ survival and imagination, and a glorious reveling in all the things an ill-advised whistle might summon.

Never Whistle at Night was published September 19th, 2023 by Vintage.

My Thoughts: This is a perfect read for this time of year and for anytime you want to spook yourself. Even the introduction has it's creepy moments.

Some of the stories are really scary. Others are gross in their horror. The first story in the book is one of my favorites, Kushtuka by Mathilda Zeller. I caught myself holding my breath in places in the story. I was worried for the protagonist.

This is an anthology of dark fiction. Some of it is supernatural horror. Some of it is the horror of the things people do to each other. But, all of it is well written.

I gave this book 5 out of 5 stars. I would recommend it to fans of dark fiction. It's well worth a read.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley. This did not affect my review.

Fantastic read for spooky season. Indigenous American writers are a blind spot of mind, so to be able to get an introduction to a bunch of them while reading creepy as hell stories that is a double win in my book. Definitely pick this up if you get the chance - great anthology and great range.

I had slowly worked my way through each of the stories in this anthology and definitely loved!! I recently read Sisters of the Lost Nation by Nick Medina and wanted more stories that reflected voices from indigenous peoples. Please make sure you check this one out. I bought a physical copy at my local bookstore!

TW: abuse, neglect, blood and gore, and alcoholism,

Never whistle at night is a great dark short story anthology to read during the autumn and winter months. excellent Indigenous representation throughout the stories and different narratives. Many of the stories are focused on modern people and the horrors of real life.

Never Whistle at Night is a collection of dark short stories from Indigenous authors. I thought this would be a good book to get me in the mood for spooky season!

It definitely did! I really appreciated the author representation from many different locations and cultures. There are a lot of different narrative styles represented. Many stories focused on modern people and the horrors of real life than supernatural, which wasn't the vibe I expected, but still enjoyed them. This is truly a dark fiction anthology and not necessarily supernatural horror, which is more of what I expected just from looking at the cover. You definitely have to be in the mood for a book like this so I recommend being in a place to read about the darker parts of humans in addition to monsters.

Overall, I enjoyed this book and recommend it if you're looking for something spooky to read! 4 stars. Thank you to NetGalley and Penguin Random House for the electronic advanced reader's copy of this book, my thoughts are my own!

CW: Domestic violence, torture, sexual assault/coercion, animal death, blood, injury, general violence,