Cover Image: Never Whistle at Night

Never Whistle at Night

Attention Dark Fiction fans: if you only read one anthology all year, it should be this one; an amazing collection!!

Never Whistle at Night is exactly what the subtitle says, an Indigenous Dark Fiction Anthology. From the moment I heard about this release, I was stoked for it. The synopsis sold me. I was also so excited to see the incredible group of authors contributing and that there would be an introduction by one of my all-time faves, Stephen Graham Jones!

I love all things Dark Fiction. It's definitely my comfort zone and I truly enjoy exploring Dark Fiction inspired by cultures other than my own. I just love learning about the different dark lore/stories that various cultures around the world tell, or incorporate into their broader fictional narrative.

I am no writer, so I'm probably failing miserably in explaining what I mean, but hopefully you get the gist of why I was so excited for this particular anthology.

After the introduction from Stephen Graham Jones, the deep storytelling vibes are set and it's time to dive in. I was immediately impressed with the variety and depth of the stories included. I had chills by the time I had finished the first story, always a good sign.

Anthologies and short-story collections are always a little hard to rate highly, as it's very rare to vibe with all the stories included in a 5-star way. You'll always have some you enjoy a lot and maybe a few that aren't to your taste. While I would say that is also true here, overall, for me, this was definitely a 5-star reading experience. Even though not all the stories were tailored to my particular tastes, I could still appreciate just how well they were written, and how each author truly brought their heart and their A-game to this collection.

If you are curious, some of the stand-outs for me in this collection were: White Hills by Rebecca Roanhorse, Quantum by Nick Medina, Snakes are Born in the Dark by D.H. Trujillo, Scariest. Story. Ever. by Richard Van Camp, The Prepper by Morgan Talty, Sundays by David Heska Wanbli Weiden and Collections by Amber Blaeser-Wardzala.

My favorite story of the collection was actually written by one of the editors, Shane Hawk. The story is titled Behind Colin's Eyes and follows a boy and his Dad embarking on what should be a regular day of hunting, but ends up being anything but that. This one creeped me the heck out. It gave me chills and the whole thing is seared in my brain now. I won't unsee this. Great work!

Overall, there is so much to love about this collection. There's definitely something for everyone in here. As mentioned before, the stories cover a wide-range of topics and you can tell that these authors took a lot of care with the stories they were sharing.

Never Whistle at Night is a must read for anyone who enjoys Dark Fiction. Available now!!!

This book was very beautifully written and I enjoyed every moment of it. The cover art on this was absolutely stunning as well. We need more indigenous voices and this one delivered.

โœจNever Whistle at Night by Shane Hawk and Theodore Van Alst Jrโœจ

Genre: Horror/Anthology
Pages: 416

๐Ÿ“š Many Indigenous people believe that one should never whistle at night. This belief takes many forms: for instance, Native Hawaiians believe it summons the Hukaiโ€™po, the spirits of ancient warriors, and Native Mexicans say it calls Lechuza, a witch that can transform into an owl. But what all these legends hold in common is the certainty that whistling at night can cause evil spirits to appearโ€”and even follow you home.

These wholly original and shiver-inducing tales introduce readers to ghosts, curses, hauntings, monstrous creatures, complex family legacies, desperate deeds, and chilling acts of revenge. Introduced and contextualized by bestselling author Stephen Graham Jones, these stories are a celebration of Indigenous peoplesโ€™ survival and imagination, and a glorious reveling in all the things an ill-advised whistle might summon.

๐Ÿ“This is a collection of dark fiction/horror short stories. There are 26 stories, each with a different writing style and horror style.

I noticed a lot of the stories focused on the theme of spirits/possession, which was terrifying. Other stories incorporated specific animals and commentary on Indian blood/indigenous lineage.

My favorite short stories were:
Kushtuka by Mathilda Zeller
Quantum by Nick Medina
Snakes are Born in the Dark by D.H. Trujillo
Behind Colinโ€™s Eyes by Shane Hawk
Night Moves by Andrea Rogers
Collections by Amber Blaeser-Wardzala

Follow @literaturewithalatte for more book reviews!

Iโ€™m pretty picky when it comes to anthologies, I find they tend to be more miss than hit for me, so now I pretty much avoid them.
But when I saw this book, and that Stephen Graham Jones did the introduction, I knew I had to make an exception!

And oh my gracious, Iโ€™m so incredibly glad I did!
Iโ€™ve been attempting to read more diversely, experiencing stories from different lives and cultures of my own. It seems so obvious, but growing up I assumed that the โ€œAmerican wayโ€ of telling a story was how a story was told. It never occurred to me that even the structure of a story can change from culture to culture. But as Iโ€™ve been expanding my reading, Iโ€™m more and more amazed at how many different ways there are to tell a story.

If youโ€™re interested, the content list is:

Foreword by Stephen Graham Jones

Behind Colin's Eyes- Shane Hawk
Heart-Shaped Clock- Kelli Jo Ford
Scariest. Story. Ever.- Richard Van Camp
Human Eaters- Royce K. Young Wolf
The Longest Street in the World- Theodore C. Van Alst Jr.
Dead Owls- Mona Susan Power
Capgras- Tommy Orange
The Scientist's Horror Story- Darcie Little Badger
Collections- Amber Blaeser-Wardzala
Limbs- Waubgeshig Rice

Make sure you take the time and read the introduction by Stephen Graham Jones! I know my enjoyment of the stories was heightened by his contextualization.
If I was really really pressed to pick a favorite, I would probably go with either Kushtuka or Night Moves. Something about those two stories just really caught me.

โญโญโญโญโญ/5 Stars
TW: Literally all of them. I'm not kidding. Seriously every trigger warning I was aware of and some I wasn't.

Thank you to NetGalley, Penguin Random House and all of the authors for this arc.

Unfortunately, I did not finish this anthology though I wish I could have. There weren't any trigger warnings and some of the stories I found very disturbing and upsetting (more than usual horror based on their topics) and I couldn't continue.

Thank you net gallery for the advanced copy of this book. This is an anthology of horror stories from an indigenous American perspective. Some stories were creepy, some scary, all entertaining.

Looking for something new to read during this spooky season? Look no further, I just finished reading the perfect book for this time of year, "Never Whistle at Night: An Indigenous Dark Fiction Anthology".
Edited by Shane Hawk and Theodore C. Van Alst Jr. Never Whistle gives us a collection of over 25 short stories that range from haunting tales of things that go bump in the night to some horrors of real life.
I really enjoyed being introduced to some new (to me) writers, and also the short bios that followed each story so I could check out other works from these talented minds, that I hope become household names. Sadly I only knew of two in this collection previously, Tommy Orange and Darcie Little Badger. Pay attention publishers, give us more!
These stories felt fresh to me and kept me turning page after page, and many managed to do this while walking along the edge of legends and folklore and making it new.

Why are more people not talking about this anthology?

Every story hit and hit hard, forever leaving an imprint on me. In the introduction, Stephen Gram Jones said โ€œSo, for these next pages, let these writers take you by the hand, lead you into the darkness at the heart of โ€“ let me put some quotation marks around it โ€“ โ€œAmericaโ€โ€™. This is exactly what happened, these authors took me to places that gave me chills, took my breath away, sparked my anger, left me weeping, and punched in the gut. To say the least, it was an emotionally taxing read that broached very heavy topics. The writing was so phenomenal and impactful that how I see the world has forever changed.

Like all anthologies there were stories that I enjoyed more than others, so for a full review, check out my GoodReads. The below stories were my favorite, and lead me to seek out other books and/or stories by these authors. Many of these stand-out stories forced me to shelf my book for the night so I could decompress.

๐–ฒ๐—‡๐–บ๐—„๐–พ๐—Œ ๐– ๐—‹๐–พ ๐–ก๐—ˆ๐—‹๐—‡ ๐—‚๐—‡ ๐—๐—๐–พ ๐–ฃ๐–บ๐—‹๐—„ - ๐–ฃ๐–ง ๐–ณ๐—‹๐—Ž๐—ƒ๐—‚๐—…๐—…๐—ˆ, this story took a deliciously unexpected turn for me and I was here for it.

๐–ญ๐—‚๐—€๐—๐— ๐—‚๐—‡ ๐—๐—๐–พ ๐–ข๐—๐—‹๐—’๐—Œ๐–บ๐—…๐—‚๐—Œ - ๐–ณ๐—‚๐–ฟ๐–ฟ๐–บ๐—‡๐—’ ๐–ฌ๐—ˆ๐—‹๐—‹๐—‚๐—Œ, eerie and claustrophobic with a tone that blanketed me in sadness.

๐–ค๐—Ž๐—…๐—ˆ๐—€๐—’ ๐–ฟ๐—ˆ๐—‹ ๐–บ ๐–ก๐—‹๐—ˆ๐—๐—๐–พ๐—‹, ๐–ฑ๐–พ๐—Œ๐—Ž๐—‹๐—‹๐–พ๐–ผ๐—๐–พ๐–ฝ - ๐–ข๐–บ๐—‹๐—Œ๐—ˆ๐—‡ ๐–ฅ๐–บ๐—Ž๐—Œ๐—, a beautiful exploration of grief and lore.

C๐–บ๐—‰๐—€๐—‹๐–บ๐—Œ - ๐–ณ๐—ˆ๐—†๐—†๐—’ ๐–ฎ๐—‹๐–บ๐—‡๐—€๐–พ, a fucking fever dream that left me just as disoriented as narrator.

๐–ข๐—ˆ๐—…๐—…๐–พ๐–ผ๐—๐—‚๐—ˆ๐—‡๐—Œ - ๐– ๐—†๐–ป๐–พ๐—‹ ๐–ก๐—…๐–บ๐–พ๐—Œ๐–พ๐—‹-๐–ถ๐–บ๐—‹๐–ฝ๐—“๐–บ๐—…๐–บ, Jordan Peele and Amber need to get together and make this a movie.

๐–ช๐—Ž๐—Œ๐—๐—๐—Ž๐—„๐–บ - ๐–ฌ๐–บ๐—๐—๐—‚๐—…๐–ฝ๐–บ ๐–น๐–พ๐—…๐—…๐–พ๐—‹, left chills running down my spine, but Kushtuka was not who I feared.

๐–ถ๐—๐—‚๐—๐–พ ๐–ง๐—‚๐—…๐—…๐—Œ - ๐–ฑ๐–พ๐–ป๐–พ๐–ผ๐–ผ๐–บ ๐–ฑ๐—ˆ๐–บ๐—‡๐—๐—ˆ๐—‹๐—Œ๐–พ, I made an audible and angry gasp when Marissa learned the price of having it all.

I highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys dark fiction, short stories, and reflective literature that explores the paranormal, revenge, complex family dynamics, and monsters both human and otherwise.

This book is full of triggers including but not limited to abuse, neglect, blood and gore, and alcoholism, so consider this your content warning.

This was a fabulous collection of short stories, perfect for October. I got to read work for some new to me authors that I can't wait to read more from, including Mathilda Zeller, Conley Jones, Shane Hawk, and Royce Young Wolf. Plus, stories from authors I really like: Rebecca Roanhorse, Cherie Dimaline, Kellie Jo Ford, Tommy Orange, and Darcie Little Badger.

I've just started this book, but I got an arc from NetGalley and I am so excited to read it.

Edit: I'm finished! This was so good, each story was so interesting and sucked me in immediately. Honestly, some of these stories are going to stick with me for a long time. The tick story in particular (you'll see what I mean when you read it).

Can't wait for this book to be released because I will be needing a physical copy of it. The cover is so beautiful.

Iโ€™m still processing the stories in this book, they each have a unique voice with plenty to say and I loved every second of it. Like with all short story collections some were much better than others but there are stories here that will appeal to absolutely everyone..

I particularly loved the writing style and atmosphere in Limbs by Waubgeshig Rice

If you havenโ€™t read indigenous stories, do yourself a favor and pick this up.

Thank you to the publisher for the chance to read this fantastic collection.

This collection of stories is INCREDIBLE. It's a perfect blend of creepy and thought provoking. A must read for any horror lover!

Never Whistle at Night is such an excellent anthology. Each author has such a distinct voice and style. There is the perfect balance of classic horror (the monsters that go bump in the night) with the horror indigenous people face of living in a country that is so hostile to them despite it being their ancestral land. This book is really a must read for everyone especially if you enjoy horror/dark fiction.

Multi-author anthology? Check! Gorgeous, colorful, eye-catching cover? Check!

I LOVED this book mainly for the ambiguous endings that made me stop and sit and go "Huh." I know that won't be for everyone, but I am OBSESSED with books that MAKE ME SIT AND THINK! ALL of these stories are good but I do have favorites.

The cover, which I already mentioned being gorgeous. is a bit "misleading" that like Sayaka Murata's "Earthlings." The cover screams FUN, but some of these stories are VERY VERY VERY VERY DARK and really "GO THERE" so just a heads up!

I have zero complaints about this at all and would love another installment. I had heard of some of the authors previously and was introduced to new ones as well. Am buying this in hard copy for my own personal home library and will absolutely be recommending this to all of my horror-loving friends and family!

4.75/5 stars!

Thank you to Penguin Randomhouse Canada for a finished copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I can't recommend this anthology enough if you are looking for a collection of horrifying tales this spooky season. It features 26 short stories by prominent indigenous authors that are all different but equally chilling.

I loved the variety in this anthology. Some of the stories are suspenseful, some psychological, while others feature monsters or body horrors that made me very squeamish (in a good way).

My favourite stories in this anthology include Kushtuka, Tick Talk, Snakes are Born in the Dark, Heart-shaped Clock, Sundays, Dead Owls, Collections, and Limbs.

One thing I love about anthologies is finding new authors to read! I have read novels by a handful of authors in this collection, but I wrote down so many to check out, and I'm very excited about that.

I read this book every evening, just reading one story a night before bed. It's a fairly long read, but reading it this way made it read quickly, maybe even too quickly. I'm sad it's over!

It's an excellent collection with a fantastic cover. It's worth a spot on your shelves!

Horror short stories can be a hit or miss for me, but this one was a much better collection of short stories compared to others I have read. I really enjoyed the unsettling and supernatural vibes from different stories.

Some stories were less enjoyable than others, but overall a great collection!

Thanks NetGalley for the ARC!

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for a free ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Like almost all anthologies, this was a mixed bag. I LOVED certain stories (Quantum & Heart-Shaped Clock were especially great, IMO), but others (such as Tick Talk - I usually like Cherie Dimaline, but this was too much even for me) fell short of what I wanted. This is definitely a dark anthology, tackling both real-life and supernatural horrors. All in all, an enjoyable read.

Judge this book by its cover!
I had high hopes for this one. The gorgeous cover art hooked me immediately, and I couldn't wait to dive in. It was everything I had wished!
I read this over a period of about a month, and I am glad I did because it really allowed each story to settle in my mind. Some still linger weeks later. I particularly loved White Hills by Rebecca Roanhorse and The Prepper by Morgan Talty, though I am likely biased as I went into the book as a big fan of both writers.
I loved how there was such a wide range of dark themes explored throughout the stories, not just paranormal horror but human evil and its real life horrors/atrocities. Though if you're a classic horror fan there is still plenty for you hereโ€”elements like body horror, bizarre and supernatural themes, hauntings, curses, monsters, etc.
All in all, loved it. I would be stoked to read a follow up to this series! Perhaps works on a different theme.

This book is a wild ride that will scare the wits out of you! Broken in many short stories, each focuses on its own brand of horror and covers so many subjects including monsters, supernatural beings, human monsters, human nature, cultural monsters, and colonialization. Truly, a fascinating and needed collection or strange and horrific tales.

Interesting, creepy tales with a native perspective. As with all collections, some stories are better than others. Some go in very unexpected directions. Overall, it's a worthwhile read.