Cover Image: Everyone Who Can Forgive Me Is Dead

Everyone Who Can Forgive Me Is Dead

This book had me anxious the entire time. I didn't love the reasoning behind some of the the side characters motivations and plans. I did really enjoy the journey

It took me a little bit to get used to the writing style and become invested in the story. But once that happened, I flew through this story and couldn't put it down!

There is a lot of suspense surrounding what happened on Scarlet Christmas. The author did a great job of slowly revealing information over time, which kept me turning the pages. I kept trying to predict where the ending was headed, but was unsuccessful!

I enjoyed all the moving parts in this story; the mystery itself, along with Charlie's job at C, and her engagement to the golden child of the publishing industry.

EVERYONE WHO CAN FORGIVE ME IS DEAD was very reminiscent of THE LUCKIEST GIRL ALIVE by Jessica Knoll. I was impressed by this debut and look forward to reading more by Jenny Hollander!

Would recommend for fans ofโ€ฆ
๐Ÿฅ€ In My Dreams I Hold A Knife
๐Ÿฅ€ Luckiest Girl Alive
๐Ÿฅ€ Final Girls

On paper, Everyone Who Can Forgive Me Is Dead was the perfect book for me. A journalist protagonist, aspects of a campus thriller, and crime thatโ€™s coming back to haunt the survivors. There were definitely some things I enjoyed โ€“ namely all of the journalism details โ€“ but this book was overwhelmingly mediocre.

The first half was an amazing five-star read โ€“ it was tense and sinister with strong characterization. But about halfway through things took a turn. There were twists that didnโ€™t have the intended shock value and when the big reveal happened, I found myself feeling like โ€œOh, thatโ€™s it?โ€ There wasnโ€™t anything wrong with the ending, but it was a major let down compared to the rest of the book.

I think most of the problems can be attributed to trying to do too much in just 300 pages. Many characters are introduced, but between all of the flashbacks and present action, the only one you get a deep back story on is the protagonist, Charlie. This made it really difficult to believe in the relationships between characters, which were a big element of the mystery.

I think fans of slightly more character-driven mysteries may enjoy this, as the prose itself is fantastic and Hollander does a great job with Charlieโ€™s character. But, I canโ€™t say this is one Iโ€™ll spend too much time thinking about.

Everyone Who Can Forgive Me Is Dead is out now. Thanks to Macmillan and NetGalley for the eARC in exchange for an honest review.

Iโ€™m 90% sure I didnโ€™t read a synopsis for Everyone Who Can Forgive Me is Dead and instead went solely off the title. Which for the most part served me well.

It has a few of the things we all love: dual timelines, college setting, an MC you canโ€™t trust that wasnโ€™t done in your typical fashion. There were a lot of twists to this I never saw coming. While they were surprising they didnโ€™t feel as if they came out of left field.

One aspect that at first I didnโ€™t get while reading it was how Charlie went from 0 to 60 pretty quickly. But after finishing and thinking about the book, I get it. As much as someone whose never been in that situation can.

As a former journalism student, I really loved the college aspect we got. Even if most was centered around the friend group. Seeing how their lives ended up and the analysis of how Scarlett Christmas was portrayed in the media was as fascinating as it was disappointing when you realize it still happens to this day.

This was a great read on audio and Iโ€™d definitely check out more books by this author!

โ€œ๐ˆ๐Ÿ ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎโ€™๐ซ๐ž ๐ง๐จ๐ญ ๐ญ๐ž๐ฅ๐ฅ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐ฌ๐ญ๐จ๐ซ๐ฒ ๐ข๐ง ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ๐ซ ๐ฐ๐š๐ฒ, ๐ฐ๐ข๐ญ๐ก ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ๐ซ ๐Ÿ๐š๐œ๐ญ๐ฌ, ๐ฌ๐จ๐ฆ๐ž๐›๐จ๐๐ฒ ๐ž๐ฅ๐ฌ๐ž ๐ฐ๐ข๐ฅ๐ฅ ๐ญ๐ž๐ฅ๐ฅ ๐ข๐ญ ๐ข๐ง ๐ญ๐ก๐ž๐ข๐ซ ๐ฐ๐š๐ฒ.โ€

I love a book where n an event in the past reverberates into the present, and this debut from Jenny Hollander has that in spades.

I was enthralled with the set-up to this story: Charlie, haunted by the โ€œScarlet Christmasโ€ of her days at college, tries to prevent a former classmate from making movie based on that fateful night. I found Charlie to be quite an interesting narrator: ambitious and conniving, juxtaposed with her debilitating anxiety and dissociation. Her sessions at therapy were a smart narrative technique to revisit the past timeline and give relevance to those sessions to the storyline. Thereโ€™s a tense atmosphere of claustrophobia, as the media and the publicโ€™s interest push into Charlieโ€™s life and dig into the past. Hollander also had some great reveals, that I actually realized were clever misdirection. I did struggle with Charlieโ€™s relationship with Tripp (she barely tolerates him - why were they even together?) and I felt while the ending wrapped mostly everything up well, it also kind-of petered out? I think I wanted a bit more of a bang.

Everyone Who Can Forgive Me Is Dead is a story of survival, guilt, trust, unsaid truths, and trauma processing. Less of a suspense novel, but rather more of a tense and poignant exploration of trauma, Iโ€™ll definitely be on the lookout for Hollanderโ€™s next book. Thank you to Minotaur and NetGalley for the ARC!

So many influencers were touting this one over the last few months that I was really looking forward to reading it. Although I liked the premise, it didn't quite live up to the hype in my opinion. I found myself skipping around a bit and wanting more. I also didn't connect with Charlie, which made it hard for me to love this book. I also personally think it would connect better with readers if the school was real, like NYU, with local color that people recognize. I went to school in NY and didn't get the feeling that these people were in the city at all. Overall, 3.5 stars.

(2.5 stars rounded up to 3)

I think this book was very confusing! There are dual timelines, then and now, but quite disorganized in way that doesn't add to the plot; in addition, the characters are underdeveloped, often times their actions just seems forced.

I do love dark academia and a thriller set on a college campus; unfortunately, this one fell short for me. I still don't understand some events of Scarlet Christmas, especially what happened to Dee.

I feel that while mental illness does play a huge role in this book, it is portrayed in a very negative manner without much mention of how it should be handled or treated.

Overall, a strange read for me!

I had high hopes going into Everyone Who Can Forgive Me is Dead. I think the premise was good but I felt like it fell flat. It really was a slow burn and not a lot of excitement that all wrapped up nice in the end. Even the twist to me wasn't much of a twist.

Thank you to St. Martin's Press, Minotaur Books for an ARC of Everyone Who Can Forgive Me is Dead by Jenny Hollander for an honest review.

I thoroughly enjoyed this one! I got fully immersed in the world the author created, almost immediately.

First Iโ€™d like to thank NetGalley and Minotaur Books for the opportunity to read this arc with the promise of a review.

Ultimately this one was not for me. The story had such promise but I sadly had to DNF this one as it was just not grabbing my attention.

I love that this was a debut novel!
It gave me the it girl vibes as I read it.
I really enjoyed the then vs now dual timeline, and a main character questioning their past and what happened is always a good read for me.
this was a slow burn mystery as Charlie attempted to remember things from her past on a night that haunted her and her friends.

Thank you NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for an ARC to read and review.

This was a slow read for me. The premise sounded so promising, but the execution left a bit to be desired for me. Charlie was not endearing to me and her relationship with Tripp felt strange...the alternating timelines felt like I was going back and forth between two books. The "before" felt very YA. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind YA, this just read strange to me. Overall I give this 2.5 stars, rounded up because it sounded so promising.

Thriller of the year! This one got me all the way to the end! I cant wait to recommend this to everyone that I know.

Charlie has PTSD from a night in graduate school that is known as "Scarlet Christmas" which left multiple of her friends injured and dead. With all the stress she can't remember everything that happened that night. Now imagine the 10 year memorial of Scarlet Christmas is coming up and someone is making a movie about the whole thing. And you can't let that happen. What would you do?

This book was an interesting read but it was pretty slow at parts, There were parts where I wanted more but it picked up in the second half and I wasn't able to put it down. It was engaging but not enough to want to drop everything and read the first half or so. Solid 3 stars for me, because the second half really made up for the beginning.

I was excited about the premise of this book but it unfortunately fell a bit flat for me and I felt the timeline and storytelling was a bit of a mess

I dnf'd this book at 20%. At 20 percent, all we know in the book is that a few people died and the story everyone knows isn't the truth or something. I'm frustrated because at this point, I would like to at least know some of the story about what happened that day or what people thought happened. Instead, all we see is a girl having a breakdown and trying to stop a movie. I don't even like any of the characters.

Everyone Who Can Forgive Me Is Dead by Jenny Hollander

Published: February 6, 2024
Minotaur Books
Genre: Psychological Thriller
Pages: 294
KKECReads Rating: 4/5
I received a copy of this book for free, and I leave my review voluntarily.

The method this story was told was engaging and entertaining. This is a book you sit down and finish. There is no stopping once you start.

The characters were well done. I enjoyed the alternating timelines. I do wish the big reveal was given more time and space.

The plot was well-developed until the end. I wish the ending were fleshed out a bit more. It did take a long time to get the build-up and reach the big moment.

I found this an easy read, and I like Jennyโ€™s writing style. She tells a story in such a compelling way. The way things unfolded kept my attention.

I may reread this in a few months to see if things settle differently. I wanted to love this story, but the ending fell a bit flat for me. The build-up was fantastic, and the storytelling was top-notch.

In "Everyone Who Can Forgive Me Is Dead," Jenny Hollander crafts a tale of suspense that begins with a bang but fizzles out partway through. The story centers on Charlie Colbert, a woman who is still troubled by the events of "Scarlet Christmas," a fatal incident from her past. Hollander compiles a narrative that keeps readers guessing but ultimately falls short of its potential.

Right from the start, the book grabs readers with its interesting premise. As Charlie navigates the aftermath of "Scarlet Christmas," readers are drawn into her world of secrets. However, despite its promising start, the plot loses steam midway through. While the ending offers a sense of redemption, it fails to recapture the book's initial intrigue.

Each character is interesting in their own right, but none are particularly likable. While this adds depth to the story, it leaves readers searching for someone to root for. Overall, "Everyone Who Can Forgive Me Is Dead" is a good read, but falls short in the end. Hollander's storytelling keeps readers engaged, but the uneven pacing prevents the book from being great.

Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for an advanced readers copy in exchange for an honest and thoughtful review.

I wanted to like this book, but I really had a hard time getting into it. The beginning dragged, and kept trying to increase expense, but instead just took too long to get to anything important. I did not finish as a result.

3.5 stars, rounded up.

This book was very messy throughout the beginning and middle. It was also deceiving throughout most of it as well which made me annoyed. I really can't stand untrustworthy narrators and that's exactly what you have here. I don't even understand why the fmc acted the way that she did and the story she told the reader. It did nothing for the tale and made the book very confusing for me. I get that was supposed to be a twist, but I hated it.

Outside of that, I did enjoy this story because you're constantly wondering what actually happened. There's a campus murder and our fmc lied to the cops saying she saw everything and told people who the perps were, but deep down she wonders if maybe she was the perp. It was a tad unrealistic, but still interesting to see how it unfolded.