Cover Image: HOLUS BOLUS

HOLUS BOLUS

I love this addition to the series. The little bit of weirdness definitely paid off. The main character wakes up next to a dead body and has no memory, however, it looks like he’s the killer. Dun dun dun!

This was a fun read if you don’t mind body horror.

Such a wierd and interesting world to dive into. The narration was done beautifully, and really brought the characters to life. Thank you for the opportunity to read!

This is yet another unique and brilliantly written novel from William Pauley III. The fantastic Connor Brannigan returns as the narrator. While it is the sixth book in the Bedlam Bible series, the main character, along with a few other characters, are from another book, The Doom Magnetic Trilogy.

The story opens with a bang, throwing you headfirst into the nightmarish reality of the protagonist. Waking up next to a dead body with no memory is a terrifying proposition, but add a dash of amnesia that wipes the slate clean every night, and you have a recipe for heart-pounding suspense. Is he really the killer? Was it someone else? How did he come to be in this situation? And what the hell is Holus Bolus, and what will happen when the counter gets to zero?

The supporting cast is quirky and enjoyably weird, and the last portion of the book twists and turns in a way that I never saw coming.

As with all of Pauley's books, this one is a must read for fans of the weird and those who can handle descriptive violence and gore.

A really good starting place if you're unsure about this series.

The audiobook has a really great narrator, I really enjoyed how every character had their own voice and the manner in which they spoke. Kept me hooked the whole time. I can admit, however, the book itself lost me at the 22% mark and didn't really get me again until closer to the 50% mark. It could have to do with me accidentally reading it out of order. Now after I finished reading it, I really want to go back through and read it in it's intended order.

I really enjoyed the writing style, how the whole time you're discovering things alongside the main character. Including who he is in general. I thought that was very clever and a breath of fresh air than any other book I have read.

All in all, I thought the book was very fun and unique. I had a lot of fun reading it and would recommend this to anyone who wants a book unlike anything I've seen before. And this author has a whole series I can assume is very similar in tone as this one!

Overall this was not a bad read. It did take some time for me to get into. I appreciate the chance to listen to this

This was an interesting read!

I’m thankful NetGalley let me read this, I typically don’t read science fiction but I got pulled into this world that made me think about my sanity. You can feel the connection the characters have with one another so it makes this an easy read while all the twists and turns keep you guessing

got this book as an are audiobook copy and at first I thought it was a bit weird but the narrator had a good voice that wasn't irritating and the plot was written in such a way that it created a lot of wif questions for the reader right away.
what is Holus Bolus? William write the narrative in first person PoV and immediately informs us that he is an UNRELIABLE narrator because he has woke up in a room with a dead body, he has amnesia (50 first dates style) and he has writing tattooed on
both arms. One of which states "you have done a bad thing". Our narrator takes it upon himself to find out what happened in that room and who was at fault, and the go to the authorities with this information. He even is willing to turn himself in if he's the murderer. But he has a few problematic
issues that limit his potential ability to solve the murder: 1. There is a voice in his head (which isn't his) talking to him
and telling him what he should/shouldn't do.
-he thinks he's either already or going insane 2. He can't go to sleep or his memory will be erased entirely-
he has approximately 48 hours 3. He doesn't know anything or anyone and has to figure out first who he is and how he's connected to the brutally
mutilated dead body.
- morality
-good vs bad
- secrets
- on sious selves
- good people and bad deeds
-redemption
-morality
-forgiveness
-social judgement
Questions of identity?
Questions about difference between who you are (good or bad) and things you have done.

I generally have a lot of fun reading Willaim Pauley III's works, and that held true for Holus Bolus. The narration was so good I can't imagine reading a physical copy - something I can't say often.

Unfortunately, that's where my praise stops. I was invested until the halfway mark. As soon as the game show began, my interest dwindled. The massive plot holes scattered throughout the first half became more obvious and, as a reader, I was left with a lot of questions. I also expected, given how descriptive the book was, to connect with the characters more.

Personal rating is a 3.5 or 3.75, not quite a four but I'm rounding up here.
Listened to the audiobook on NetGalley.

Well well, this was a wild weird ride. Dunno what to think about it. I do like the conversations about right and wrong and the grey in-between along with some of the other "bigger" conversations the book was having.

It did a good job of making everything feel a little crazy and it kept me interested in figuring out what the hell was going on. It was weird and probably wont be for everyone but the more I think about it, the more I think I liked it.

This was a weird and trippy read. I was confused but also intrigued throughout to see where things would lead. I did enjoy the audiobook narration, however, I don’t think I fully grasped what was happening. This book wasn’t for me but others might enjoy it more! Thanks NetGalley for the arc!

This fell so flat for me unfortunately, I had access to the audiobook version of Holus Bolus and maybe I just didn't connect with the narrator but I could not keep my focus on this book at all. It has a very interesting concept and I think it's worth a try for someone who may be intrigued, but I cannot in good faith say that I would recommend it.

William Pauley III has done it again, bringing us back into the insane landscape that is the Eighth Block Tower. This was longer than previous instalments, but remained fast-paced and thrilling, constantly keeping you on your toes and desperate to read more. Whilst not my favourite story within the Bedlam Bible, it was imaginative, creepy, and horror at its finest. Connor Brannigan’s narration and his undeniable talent made it all the more enjoyable.

Thank you to Doom Fiction and NetGalley for providing me with an AUDIO Arc. All opinions are my own.

Another Bedlam Bible and it was good too.

Audiobook is just perfect, narration of Connor Brannigan spot on as always. I hope he does lot many narrations in the future apart from Bedlam Bible too. His voice sounds so good to stop listening to his audiobook.

A man wakes up with no memory whatsoever, and a dead body nearby and a voice talking to him in his head. And that's where starts the journey of Holus Bolus. Although 6th book of this 8th apartment stories, you can read it as stand-alone.

Thank you Netgalley and Doom fiction audio for the Audiobook Arc in exchange of an honest review.

First, I will start on a positive note- the narrator was very easy on the ears and did a great job of changing his voices for different characters. I think I would have had a harder time finishing this book if it wasn’t being narrated. I was excited by the description/cover of this book and that’s why I requested it. I am all for weird and twisty sci-fi novels - if done right. For me, this was all over the place. I didn’t feel connected to the characters, so the game show bit didn’t land how it should have. I didn’t really care what happened to anyone, which is never good. The game show plot was in fact unique and I liked the idea of the religious cult overtones, but it didn’t feel fully realized. I don’t know if it needed to be longer for me to be more committed to it or if it just was never going to work for me. This book is part of a series, so I thought that maybe that was my mistake by reading this as a stand alone, but after further research they appear to be separate stories with intertwined themes. Overall, a unique storyline with great narration, but subpar execution.

I love a little bit of weird and this addition to the series paid off! The protagonist wakes up next to a dead body, he has no memory but it looks like he’s the killer!

The residents of this domicile should have picked another place to live. There’s a game where one wrong move & you could be dead.

Read this for fun & if you don’t mind body horror. Good narration.

Holus Bolus by William Pauley III is my favorite book in the Bedlam Bible series... well, I think I say that after I read each book in the series. Seems I love them all! The characters are freaking brilliant! Brilliant! Comical and delightfully strange, Holus Bolus is both brilliantly written and organically crafted. The narrator does impeccable character work and the cover is one of my favorites.

I received a review copy of this book from the author/publisher through NetGalley for my honest review. The opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.

Was intrigued from the get go and listened to the audiobook in two sittings because I wanted to know what happened. I didn't realise until after that this was part 6 of a series, I'm definitely going to seek out the rest of the stories. It was a fun and interesting read. The audiobook narrator also did an amazing job with giving the characters distinct voices, it was very engaging and enjoyable. Had a similar vibe to Chuck Palahniuk and the movie Memento.

Received this from Net Galley in exchange for my honest review.

Out of this series, this one is my favorite. I it was definitely crazy and kooky but I kind of love that about it. The story was easier to follow after reading a few of the other books and understanding the unreliability of the setting. It's a new age horror story with a bit of suspense too.

Thank you to Netgalley for providing me with an audiobook. This book was a really good experience. I’m usually not into these kinds of books that feel like a fever dream, hence the 3 stars.

William Pauley has written down such a solid piece of work here. I am just awed by how incredibly deep this story is. The eighth block tower is written more like a character than a place. The world building is in the tower itself. The tower is a creature and it drives other creatures to madness, pursuits, murders, irrationality and even spirituality.
The story starts off with our main character waking up amnesiac. Not remembering the reason for tattoos on his arms or the corpse lying in his room, or the book in the dissolved flesh of the corpse, be runs out of the apartment and is taken hostage by a group of people whose mentor's was the corpse in the man's room. So basically, this book follows these people trying to find who killed their mentor, sensei. This sensei was a spiritual person and was trying some real big stuff with his disciples.
The thing with this eighth block tower is that it is crazy It is paranormal. It's an animal and it's horrifying. There are these rivers or streams of immaterial substance that binds the residents to the an unseen core of the tower. It is a living creature and people are irrevocably bound to it and and it insidiously draws them in. It binds them in a sweet bewitchment where their soul is emptied and mind is switched off. Sensei wanted to break free of this curse, to stop slumbering to the radiating hummings of the tower, to wake up and overcome the power of this tower. And he makes a huge plan. The ending turned out to be a lot like the Jigsaw film and it was cool ngl.

The concept of this tower having a giant brain is so awfully cool and deliciously disturbing to me. So the thing with this this book is that William Pauley doesn't treat it like a spooky children's story. It has those Stephen King vibes creeping onto it where there is a depth to things, a message, an emotional nuance. The tower is the fear of residents, they live to it, they die to it and it's an evil entity for me, people can't live outside of it even if they do find out a way to get out.

The story was over all well written with a little blandness at times but managed well still. Just like the other stories the ending was everything here. The eeriness brought to the highest crescendo at times, with a transcendental tint at others. I especially found the concept of The Beyond very intriguing.

So here's the thing, William Pauley KNOWS how to bind the reader by putting in his story the most bizarre things and then making it more impactful by keeping some things unexplained. Things like the voice in the head, the purple television, the bedlam bible stuff. While I do agree that things can become more interesting and concrete if there is given more time to world building and overall descriptions aside from the characters and actions, I also think it comes with its own uniqueness of flavors. At least it's true for me.

Having mentioned everything, I also want to talk about his gore scenes. I have always found body horror fun to read. And yes I do admonish myself for my sadistic wants but that's just how it is, I love gore and this book satisfies much of my fantasies. Not that I enjoy the painful moments but I like to be haunted by a book.

So yeah, an amazing ride, always recommended. Perfect fast read for spook lovers.