Cover Image: Most Ardently: A Pride & Prejudice Remix

Most Ardently: A Pride & Prejudice Remix

Like I said before, dark academia-inspired fantasy books aren't for me. I just don't vibe with it as much. I pretty much get annoyed with it, which isn't good for anyone. I did enjoy reading this one because it has a bit of pride and prejudice. It was the dark academic vibes that weren't vibrating with me. If you enjoy reading about pride and prejudice retellings with bits of dark academia vibes, then you will enjoy this one.

It took a little while for me to get steam in the book, but by about halfway through I was hooked. Which honestly I think is what happened the first time I read Pride and Prejudice. Anyway, I loved the characters they felt fresh and relatable. I may even like the storyline better than the original, especially the inclusion of Molly Houses.

But what I found most important about this book was the little things. Looking back at all of the quotes I highlighted, there was a common theme among most of them. Correct identity. He even says it at one point. (first favorite quote) It was the way Oliver describes desperately needing to be himself. It helped me better understand, just a little, what my friend from high school may have been experiencing. When a family member mentioned to me that their child had come to them about being trans, I had just finished this book and bought a copy for her. (We're still waiting for them to come to family themself.) While I recognize the importance of this book in the trans community, especially for trans teens, I hope parents and friends will take the time to read it, because it really helped my level of understanding and I think it could help others too.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the author via Netgalley & Feiwel & Friends in exchange for an honest review

While I liked this book as a historical romance, I'm not sure I loved it as a Pride and Prejudice retelling. I think the thing that makes something a good Pride and Prejudice retelling is the complicated family dynamics and how all of the sisters have personalities and things going on with themselves. Also, Pride and Prejudice is at it's core an enemies to lovers story, and this just wasn't that. I think @Grapiedeltaco on TikTok has a much better explanation of why this wasn't my favorite adaptation of the source material, that I could never put into words. But again, I did like this as a queer historical romance. It definitely made me cry when Oliver came out to his dad, and I really did appreciate the author's note at both the beginning and end of this book.

Note that this was actually a 3.25 star rating.

Creating a retelling of such a beloved work as Pride & Prejudice isn’t an easy undertaking but in this case, it was done beautifully! I absolutely loved the way that Novoa blended the details we know from P&P with new character identities, like Elizabeth being a trans-man named Oliver. The struggle with his identity in the P&P world feels real and painful but also creates a new level to the relationships with Darcy and also the Bennet family that is so heartwarming. And I know I’m probably going to be in the minority, but I loved the ending (I won’t say more and spoil it). I highly recommend!

A very faithful adaptation of Pride and Prejudice and my first encounter with the remix series. I loved how faithful this book remained to the original source material but I also LOVED the changes that were made in order to make the story make more sense and for it to feel a little less "of its time". For instance, Wickham doesn't end up running away with the youngest Bennet sister and he is instead revealed to be a huge transphobe, really appreciated this turn of events.

Overall, I think it a wonderful adaptation of the original source material, that has been updated to fit a modern audience and put a trans man in the spotlight of the story. The representation was very well done and I enjoyed the authors take on what it might have been like for someone who identified as transgender to live in this time period.

Thank you to Netgalley for this arch!

Rating: 3.75 stars

This story was adorable and had me giggling a bit during large chunks of the reading journey. It was very different than other stories where you really get to know characters and you really see the romance heating up, but that isn't a bad thing at all. It was fun to read, it got me out of a massive reading slump i'd been stuck in. An LGBTQ+ retelling of one of my favorite books is exactly what I needed in 2024!

This was unbelievably cute and had me kicking my feet giggling. It definitely doesn't have the depth of characterization and build up for the romance that you would usually need. It definitely relies heavily on the established atmosphere and story people already know Pride and Prejudice to have. If that wasn't there this would have fallen flat. That being said I find this kind of queer retelling absolutely adorable. I love how Oliver was twisted into the story in a really effective way.

This book was a lot of fun. It felt true to the original characters and plot while also being cohesive and entertaining in its own right. For fans of the other Classic Remixes, as well as queer historical romance books like those by Cat Sebastian, KJ Charles, Lex Croucher, or Emma R Alban.

A very unique variation. First, I appreciate the author's candor. Appreciated that the story has enough of the original and the sequence of events to enable me to follow. Initially got lost because of the switching of names/gender and then the pronouns, throwing me off. Wasn't sure if Lizzy was presenting as Elizabeth or Oliver. As I continue to read, I got used to such. I wasn't sure how this story will go especially how it will end. Amazed by the author's creativeness. Also thankful for sharing such disheartening situations. Towards the end, there was heartwarming moments. I particularly love when Mrs Bennet said something and hugged Oliver. Such a unique, heart-touching story and enlightening one for me.

This remixed classics series is one of my favorite series! This book provides such a warmth and it just left me so happy. Despite the shorter length, the story is fufilling, Oliver and Darcy are an amazing couple.

I love this series of Remixed classics, and while this was maybe a little unrealistic in its optimism, I don't care because I absolutely loved it. I love P&P, and this is a really great adaptation.

This fell under the "didn't love, didn't dislike" category for me. There wasn't a lot behind it, but there really doesn't have to be to enjoy a book. I liked the characters but wish some of the side characters were fleshed out a bit more. Based on the general gist of the plot, I'm now more interested in Pride and Prejudice than I was before. The messaging was great and the ending was satisfying, wouldn't active recommend but would support an existing recommendation for sure.

Ok, I'm going to first level set this review in two ways so you know about the book for two key things I did not know going in and would have helped me like it more quickly: 1) this is YA. I don't normally read YA and I wasn't expecting YA and was really really confused when Oliver kept referring to everyone as "boys" and "girls" and I was like, but Darcy is a grown man? No, he's not, these are all teens and this is YA. 2) This is an absolutely zero spice book. We get a kiss. That's it. And THAT IS OK, especially with it being YA, I just hadn't known. Ok, all set? Let's get to it.

This is a Pride & Prejudice retelling (you know I love those!) where the second eldest Bennett child is a trans boy named Oliver, who is known to the outside world and most of his family as girl named Elizabeth. I loved the use of P&P and the way it hit the notes you'd want - Jane is a loving sister to her closest in age sibling and knows Oliver as himself and supports him wholeheartedly, Mrs. Bennett is still trying to get all her children married (wrongfully thinking they are all girls), Wickham is still evil, Charlotte still enters a marriage of convenience with Oliver's cousin (with very interesting reasoning!), and Mr. Darcy (here just Darcy) is a bit stuck up but ever so tender.

I loved the twist on the story, giving us more than cis hetero love, and the way Oliver found his way to living authentically as himself. It was really lovely (if YA and without spice).

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for a copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.

instagram.com/encyclopedia_britanika

Lovely twist on Pride & Prejudice. It kept close to the original in plot, with some adjustments I felt worked well. There were also many of the most well known lines reused and it was so well done. The ending made me so happy and even though I knew where it was going, it was the journey of Oliver Bennett to get there more than the romance really.

I'd been anticipating this book for ages and was blown away by how much better it was than I even could have expected!! I think it's very safe to say that I'm a huge fan of Gabe's work and, as a Pride & Prejudice lover, nearly cried at how incredible the characters, story, and respresentation all came across. Definitely a favorite read of the year already!

Pride and Prejudice is one of the most popular romances of all time and I have adored it ever since I first read it many years ago. In Most Ardently, Gabe Cole Novoa remixes the classic story with our main character being Oliver Bennet, a young transman, who feels trapped in his society's expectations for women of the time. He was born Elizabeth Bennet and at this point in his life, he is ready to start openly living his true identity as a man.

Many of the original story's main beats play out throughout the plot but with deviations. I love the relationship between Darcy and Oliver. It was great to watch them fall in love during the story and I just could not get enough of them together. The characters are similar to their classic counterparts but a bit younger. Also, I love Oliver's dad just as much as I always loved Elizabeth's father. It was a joy reading the scenes with him. Oliver is a powerful character who you cannot help but love from the very beginning of the story.

I highly recommend picking up the audiobook for this wonderful book. The narrator does an incredible job narrating Oliver's story. I will be buying a copy for my collection and know I will be rereading this very soon.

A Pride and Prejudice retelling in which the Bennet’s second child is Oliver, a transman, who has confided his true identity to a few close friends and family members. Oliver slips away to Charlotte’s to change clothes and spend time as himself in public. It’s on one of these outings that he meets Darcy and Bingley, who he’d also met the night before at the Meryton Ball but in the guise of Elizabeth. What a fantastic setup. What a charming, lovely idea.
Throughout the story, there’s a smart and comfortable balance between recognizable beats from the original, and license taken to meet the demands of this particular remix. For those who love the original (and those who live and breathe the 2005 film), you’ll be pleased and settled into the world you love and expect and simultaneously thrilled at the new notes. I also found that my knowledge of the underlying narrative was a comfort of sorts as the characters faced such difficulties just existing in the world around them.
Overall, I found this exceedingly charming and healing to see queer characters in a story I’ve loved for decades. I have a few small critiques, but nothing that affected the joy this book brought me. I like how the author maintained a certain wickedness from Wickham, but I was a little ruffled by Collins’ closeness to him. I have no love for Collins but I suppose I’ve always seen him as a blowhard who was ultimately harmless and this put a darker stain on his character. I don’t object to that on its own, but it left me worried for Charlotte, and I didn’t love that. It left me with questions for her that I wouldn’t have had otherwise. There was also a touch of unrealistic dialogue, but nothing egregious.
Mr. Bennet 4ever.

Thank you so much, NetGalley and Macmillan Children's Publishing Group, Feiwel & Friendss for the chance to read this book in exchange of an honest review.

In the 1800's society, Oliver Bennet feels trapped by its expectations and by dresses and corsets. In a society inherently cishet and heteronormative, he feels trapped and alone and everyone thinks he's a girl named Elizabeth. He's expect to mingle, to become a wife, but he can't accept this fate. The only way he feels himself is sneaking out his family's home and dressing like a gentleman and so he becomes acquainted with Darcy, a sulky gentleman, who was rude to "Elizabeth". But getting to know him reveals to Oliver Darcy is a sweet and intelligent boy and so attractive. While he starts to hope for a live where he can be himself and love who he wants, his mother and suitors are becoming more and more pressing, pushing him towards two choices: accept his lie and live as a girl or risk everything to be himself.

I absolutely loved reading this Remixed Classics, by authors from marginalized background and I found this one so unique, fresh and creative. I loved Pride and Prejudice and this retelling is perfect! I loved how Elizabeth was fierce and "rebel" in her own way in the book and how here, with a trans character the whole heteronormative and cishet society is shown in its true colors.
Oliver is fierce and brilliant and, of course, he struggles within this society and yearns for freedom and I think it's gorgeous who he is himself with Darcy and how their relationship deepens.
It's a story of longing and freedom and defyinf society's expectations and it was sweet and beautiful, so so recommended!

I will literally read anything Pride and Prejudice related, so when I heard about this queer version, I definitely wanted to check it out. In this version, our Bennet love interest is a trans person going by Oliver. When he meets Darcy, there is instant chemistry but even more barriers than if he were just a girl.

We get all the usual beats of the P&P story with Jane and Bingley, the dances, Jane’s sickness etc. But Charlotte is also queer and helping Oliver cope and adapt. Darcy is still swoon-worthy and difficult. Wickham is even more of a villain than ever. Mr Bennet is even more of a gem than ever.

The new scenes were all great, I especially loved the bookshop scene and Darcy going to Molly Houses to read! I didn’t know about Molly Houses in history so I was glad to learn that.

Thanks to Fiewel and Friends for gifted access via Netgalley. All opinions above are my own.

LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS WAS SUCH A CUTE AND FUN STORY AND I CANT WAIT TO READ MORE FROM THIS AUTHOR THANK YOU SO MUCH TO NET GALLEY FOR THE ARC I REALLY ENJOYED THIS