This was a fresh take on the "fall into another world"-trope as that bit had already happened to the main characters grandmother. I think I'd categorise this as a nice little summer read. If this trope is something you enjoy I would definitely give it a read. I also liked that we got the backstory simultaneously as the main story. That was done well.

We follow fourteen year old Eva as she visits her grandmother for the first time in another country. Eva quickly finds out that there is something strange going on. Her grandmother has once been the queen of a fantasy kingdom.

A solid little fantasy read. Enjoyable

For anyone who's ever read and loved the Chronicles of Narnia but was less than enthusiastic about its conclusion (and the treatment of Susan!) in the Last Battle, this is the book for you.

Young Eva is crossing the Atlantic ocean to England to meet her maternal grandmother for the first time. Her father is in the final stages of his quest to untangle the academic mysteries of the deceased Professor Kinchurch (which will enable him to secure a proper academic job) so her family is being houses and her mother takes her to England to be out of the way. Her mother and grandmother have a fraught relationship, but as Eva comes to know her grandmother and the other residents of the local village - including gardener Stokes and his grandson Frankie - she begins to realize that her favorite fairy tale author - A.H.W. Clifton - was not making up stories about the magical land of Ternival. Clifton was writing true stories and the people in them included not just Professor Kinchurch but Eva and Frankie's relatives as well.

As Eva (with Frankie's help) begin to unravel their own mysteries, they are confronted with a legacy of loss and heartache and what happens to those left behind when others travel to a magical, far-away realm. As in real life, there are no tidy happily ever afters, but rather messiness and story threads that continue after the author writes "the end."

The writing style was really smooth and so easy to read! I flew through the book!
I could really connect with the main character so that’s definitely a plus point!
The book wasn’t too long and I really liked the plot!

While I appreciate the opportunity to read this, unfortunately this is a DNF for me. I made it about halfway but the pacing is too slow for me to continue.

I really liked this story and its beautiful homage to books like Narnia and A Green and Ancient Light. However, like Narnia, I could have done with a little less of the religious overtones. This is just personal preference, as I did enjoy the classical representation of the relationship between religion, myth, and lore, but this agnostic Jew didn't quite realize how much faith and christianity were going to play a role in this story. The pacing also takes some getting used to, and I wish the slower motion could have been on account of more description instead of less action.

4/5

I loved this book! The character sand setting just made this plot so magical. Following Eva through her journey of discovering her families' secrets were very entertaining to read. The mystery behind the world that she didn't know could exist was great. My only thing about the book was that I felt at times the paciing was rather slow, especially towards the end but all in all I would recommend this book to people who love fantasy and mysteries.

An interesting and magical world perfect for young readers. The narrative goes pretty compelling and fast, giving Us a clear understading of its universe. Altough I wasn't the target auudience for the book, I had an enjoyable moment between the pages.
Thank You, netgalley for the ARC granted!