Cover Image: Roy Is Not a Dog

Roy Is Not a Dog

Weasel has questions about his new neighbor and a few ideas as to who or rather what he could be. Roy is Not a Dog is a fun and funny look at what happens when you ask questions and go a little further than people's opinion. This lovable story was a delight to read and a good lesson in getting to know your neighbors.

Roy is Not a Dog is a fun, lighthearted kids book that is sure to delight any budding Sherlock Holmes! An adorable tale about the fun detective adventures of a ragtag group of animals.

I received an arc of this title from NetGalley for an honest review. A great mystery for kids to help solve in the neighborhood.

This one is quirky but very cute and has great illustrations. Throughout the book they believe that Roy is a dog but can't prove it, until the end. I liked the characters, the bit of mystery, and especially the illustrations. Plot wise it left me wanting more.

This book clearing wasn't for us. It wasn't fun to read out loud and there were words, phrases, and concepts that seemed beyond most children. We thought Pam Pam seemed mean and petty to her "friend" Weasel. Instead of being encouraging or helpful, her questions seemed condescending and portrayed a mistrust.

My kids and I loved this story. It was light hearted and led us on the journey of figuring out just what kind of town Roy lives in. The pictures were fun to look at and the dialogue made all three of us laugh. I would recommend this book to my library, schools, and possibly keep it on my own bookshelf.

Not everything is as it seems in this little town. Sometimes it takes the help of a friend and using clues around you to figure it all out.

Roy Is Not a Dog was a fun romp through a little town of the expected. My 4 year old and I used the clues in the pictures of the book to make some deductions.

We liked the story and illustrations. I also really enjoyed the nod to Sherlock Holmes.

The illustrations are beautiful, it looks like everything’s cut out of paper and gives a good children’s book feel. The premise is silly and it’s a fun read with a good moral. As someone who works with kids, this would make a great story time book in a classroom setting.

This is a pretty cute book with amazing illustrations. My kids enjoyed it and loved looking for different things in the pictures. The only thing I disliked is having to explain taxes to my very inquisitive kids.

Thank you to the author, publisher and Netgalley for the opportunity to review this book. I received the eARC for free and am leaving my reviewing voluntarily.

I loved the message and the artwork done in this book. The “who done it” was so creative and clever. I loved reading this! The message is telling for children and people of all ages!

Roy Is Not a Dog by Esmé Shapiro is a delightful romp through the world of Lilypod Lane, featuring a young boy named Weasel and his determined investigation into the true identity of his neighbor Roy. This book was thoroughly enjoyable from start to finish. Young readers will love following along as Weasel tries anything and everything to prove that Roy is in fact a dog. The illustrations were the icing on the cake, making this a book that I would highly recommend.

A very cute children’s story about a boy, weasel, who knows everything about everyone on Lilypod lane except the house on the end. He has a suspicion that it may be a dog, but his friend, Pam Pam, who reminds me of Hermione in Harry Potter, tells Weasel, who is a bit like Ron in Harry Potter, that he is wrong and hasn’t convinced her. In the end, Weasel tries to find out who lives at the end of the street, by playing dog tricks. He finds out, but he also see the secrets all the other neighbors have. The story is well written, with beautiful artwork. There are a few great big words that can be used to determine their meaning and many questions can be asked during the story, thereby making inferences of the text itself.
Thank you #netgalley for an ARC to this adorable story. I would definitely read it to my students

This is a cute detective story about a dog. This would be a cute read aloud or bedtime story with your child.

Very cute book about finding out about others and accepting them for who they are. I would recommend for all ages.

Thanks to Netgalley and Tundra Books for this dog-themed mystery picture book!

When a young child begins to suspect that his neighbor is in fact a dog, his friend is suspicious - humans can do some of the things he’s suggesting are doggy, after all! He digs deeper for clues and finds that things are not as obvious as he always thought they were. This was funny and cute! My 7-year old enjoyed hearing it.

This was a cute story, but I’m not sure how frequently a child would want to revisit this story. Additionally, though the illustrations were beautiful, the overall book felt dark, so it was difficult to imagine it being read aloud at school or libraries.

An absolutely ridiculous tale of a boy turned detective. It's quirky, it's funny, and I love it. Bright and colorful illustrations make this ridiculous tale all the better. "I am three dogs in a trench coat and I am proud!" may just be my favorite line from a book ever.

I loved this book. The story was cute and engaging. The illustrations were adorable

I loved the characters and was laughing out loud as I learned more about Roy and who/what he was. Esp when Weasel’s friend brought her cat around.

This book was awesome.

Roy is Not a Dog is a clever twist on the unreliable narrator storyline. Weasel is convinced that his neighbour is a dog, but his friend Pam Pam doesn't agree. After some skillful spying and a chance encounter with a cat, the mystery is solved. The text skillfully unravels the mystery through clever discussion, supported by illustrations with carefully placed clues. The pacing is excellent and the page turns are used effectively. The final spread is an excellent ending with more surprises in the illustrations.

This book would be a fun read for parents and their children, and would be examined over and over by children looking for more clues. It would also be a good addition to a classroom or school library for teachers to use with students to spark persuasive writing.

I'm indifferent to this book. I loved the illustrations. The story not so much. I think it could have been cute but it wasn't enough to make me want to continue reading. I found myself more interested in the drawings. A dog living in a house and a few reasons why it might be a dog. Not so much about investigation or problem solving the mystery maybe.