Cover Image: Roy Is Not a Dog

Roy Is Not a Dog

This. Is. Adorable. The illustrations are so clever - one of those books where you look for little hints and jokes on every page. It’s about a little boy named Weasel who wants to be a detective, and he’s convinced his neighbor Roy is actually a dog. He brings all the evidence to his friend Pam Pam, and she keeps shooting him down. But Weasel doesn’t give up! This would make a great read aloud for older elementary kiddos - they’d have fun guessing and looking at all of the pictures. It actually would have been excellent for my lesson on picture book mysteries from back in the day.

Either way, this one is great fun, and I can’t wait to add it to our collection, and hopefully take it along on a school visit or two!

Roy is Not a Dog is a very cute book for young ones. My daughter enjoyed the pictures and storyline.

I was thrilled to receive an ARC of this because I really enjoyed Alma and the Beast by Esme Shapiro. This was another super-sweet story with such fun and evocative illustrations and has cemented Esme as one of my favourite children's authors. It is on the wordier side with a decent amount of text on each page so it might be better for slightly older readers, but is so fun and humorous that I think a wide-range of kids will enjoy it. Fun details in the illustrations make this a great one to read over and over.

This was a cute book! My child loved the mystery as we read the story. As big fans of dogs it was a huge hit in our house!

As the paperboy Weasel rides his bike down Lilypod Lane, he enjoys discovering what goes on inside the houses of his customers. He is sure that Roy is a dog what with the bone shaped fence posts the bone mailbox and the shape of his snout. His friend doesn't believe it. Weasel sets out to prove her wrong and discovers that you can't believe everything you see.
A great storytime read for littles the illustrations are phenomenal and give a lot of items to search for when reading the book. @esmeshapiro @itsdanielkaufman @penguinrandomhouse #tundrabooks #netgalley #netgalleyreads #arcreadersofinstagram #arcreads
#readinggoals2023📚 #readingforfun #bookstagrammer #bookstagram

Another completely enchanting book by Esme Shapiro! Glorious details abound (the desert landscaping, the individual houses with personalized decor) in this mysterious little tale about seeing beyond expectations. Weasel is the paperboy for Lilypod Lane where everything seems to always be the same. Except for the peculiar little house at the end of the road that is, which Weasel begins to suspect is owned by a dog. He tries to convince his practical friend Pam Pam of his theory but she has numerous doubts. The two begin an investigation which concludes with a delightful surprise. This book is going to have numerous fans and I can't wait to share the hardcover version with some first graders. Thanks to Penguin Random House and NetGalley for the opportunity to view an advance digital copy of this work.

Roy Is Not A Dog is a surprising picture book that deserves close and possibly multiple looks. Despite noticing many fun ideas in my first reading, I liked it far more upon rereading. The illustrations are remarkably detailed. The background behind the houses on Lilypod Lane is teeming with exquisite flora. Every page of the book is brimming with riveting visuals. There are clues to be found in the pictures if one peers closely. Lilypod Lane is indeed a curious neighborhood. Esmé Shapiro and Daniel Newell Kaufman have written a book that will delight young minds and show that first impressions can be erroneous. It is a story of acceptance but also of pursuing one's curiosity.
Thank you to NetGalley and Tundra Books for the ARC of this book.

Roy is Not a Dog drew me in with it's beautifully illustrated cover and took me off guard with how funny the story is! I was chuckling to myself the whole time and then really laughed out loud when Weasel and Pam Pam discover Roy's secret. This is a very charming story that could lead to a discussion about the danger of making assumptions. The illustrations are beautifully painted and there are so many details to look at in the spreads. The text is on the longer side for a picturebook and has a lot of word play so I would recommend for older preschoolers and up. I definitely want to get this title for our library collection!

I just reviewed Roy Is Not a Dog by Esmé Shapiro; Daniel Newell Kaufman. #NetGalley

this book was so cute both the premise and the pictures and my daughter and I really enjoyed reading it together.
it was the perfect length, and Roy the dog was so cute and lovable.

I really enjoyed this picture book. It shares the tender story of a boy who thinks he has his neighborhood figured out, until he notices a new neighbor. He can't quite figure them our but he is determined to do so. It is the perfect example of how being curious about seeing someone different can spark different reactions but in the end we must all be mindful, understanding and just ok with the fact that being different is ok. We are all here to navigate as humans. The Illustrations are amazing! A beautiful book.

"Withoutadoubtably" one of the best children's books ever written! The illustrations are captivating for both kids and adults, I wanted to linger on each page to fully drink them in, but also wanted to hurry to find out the mystery of Roy. Weasel and Pam Pam make an excellent team. I'm hoping to see more of them in the future!

Roy Is Not a Dog just may be one of my new favorite children's books. I cannot wait to get a physical copy. The illustrations are beautiful and vibrant and fun. The story was captivating and entertaining.
I love that this book can be read to children of all ages. Babies/ toddlers will enjoy the illustrations, while the story will captivate older kids. The story is unique and nothing I have read in a children's book before. I loved the deeper message this book brought on. I could go on and on, but this book is definitely one to add to your children's library.

Roy is Not A Dog. Or is he? I mean, have you ever seen an egg-frying pup? A cute book with a sweet message of acceptance. Can’t wait to add this to my grandmuffin’s little library. Thank you to NetGalley for allowing me to read and review an advanced copy of this sweet book.

What a sweet picture book! I can imagine reading this to a group of kids and having them get so excited at the "reveal". The story starts with Weasel (yep, that's the child's name) and the things he sees while on his newspaper route. The illustrations are adorable and the hints of Roy are sure to make kids giggle. The revelation of three dogs in a trenchcoat is expected but delightful.

This was a very cute kids book with themes of acceptance and community. The story was well written and engaging and the illustrations were excellent.

I would recommend this to my friends with kids.

I received an advanced copy of this book from NetGalley and the publisher. All opinions are my own.

This was such a fun story! The illustrations were fantastic, and the story was charming and humorous. It would be perfect to read aloud to older kid and is sure to get lots of laughs. Weasel has a curious mind and thinks that living in a town where everybody knows everybody, that he knows all there is to know about some of his neighbor. But there is one neighbor, Roy, with some tendencies that lead to questioning, such as chasing bones, eating raw meat, and chasing cats.
The twist at the end was fun!

This might be one of my favorite children’s books that I have ever read, and let me tell you, I’ve read a lot of them. I think I find this book so charming because there’s nothing else like it. It’s completely unique and that’s rare to find in a children’s book. I’ll admit, I’m a bit of a sucker for any book that involves a dog, but the story behind this one is just darling. I think children of all ages will enjoy this book- while toddlers may be too young to understand the words, they’ll enjoy the whimsical illustrations and the abridged story that can be told. I love the way the author wrote this- it’s clever and quirky and so fun to read. Each word seems like it was perfectly chosen to make this the delightful read the author intended. And don’t even get me started on the ending! I adored the last page… I was surprised by the ending and how perfectly it tied everything together. This book has, perhaps, the cutest (and most important) message a children’s book can have… the message that there is always more to learn about the people around us. We think we know someone, but we really don’t… there is always more to discover and understand. I will 100% be pre-ordering this book and giving it to all of my friends as gifts. In true Oprah style I’ll be throwing these books at everyone, “You get a book, you get a book, you get a book!” I truly loved it that much.

*Thank you so much to the authors and netgalley for allowing me to read and review such a darling book.*

Such a fantastically written and illustrated picture book! Is Roy really a dog? How much do you actually know about your neighbors? A delightful and comedic picture book that encourages authenticity, community, and understanding.

This was absolutely delightful. The illustrations is charming. It was captivating from start to finish. My children and I highly recommend this lovely read. It's one we'll return to again and again. Many thanks to the author, publisher, and NetGalley for the advanced copy of the book.

Weasel is stumped at the identity of his mysterious neighbor Roy. He has long flappy ears like a dog, he eats raw steak like a dog, but Pam Pam says lots of people do that too. This book was so fun and had such fun little puns and tricky words to give hints and clues about Roy throughout! The illustrations were whimsical and matched perfectly to the story. Definitely a fun read aloud for the family!