Cover Image: Last Night

Last Night

This is my first Luanne Rice book, and I was pleasantly surprised! I could not put this book down. Filled with great character development, and a variety of characters, Luanne gives each their own unique attributes. Fast paced, and filled with classic red-herrings, this book kept me guessing until close to the end. I can not wait to try another Luanne Rice mystery.

I want to thank Netgalley & Thomas & Mercer for an ARC of this book.

Running from a contentious divorce, Maddie Morrison has taken refuge in the legendary Ocean House on the Rhode Island shore. Thinking her life is about to change for the better, Maddie takes her young daughter, CeCe out in a blizzard to meet someone along the shore. It was supposed to be a quick trip, but neither of them return. Enroute to spend Christmas with her sister and niece, Maddie’s sister Hadley arrives at Ocean House and knows immediately that there’s something dreadfully wrong. Where are Maddie and CeCe? Setting out to find them, Hadley discovers Maddie, dead in the snow, but CeCe is nowhere to be found. Detective Conor Reid is also at Ocean House on a romantic getaway, but soon he is completely embroiled in the case. When a boat ends up in trouble, his coastguard brother, Tom, is looking into it, but are the two cases connected? With a plethora of suspects, Rice keeps us on our toes and guessing until the end. Thank you to Thomas and Mercer and NetGalley for an ARC of this book.

Maddie Morrison has fled to Ocean House with her daughter CeCe after a very antagonistic divorce. When her sister Hadley shows up and can't find her niece or her sister she decides to look around. The staff saw her leave Sith her daughter a bit before the blizzard started but no one saw them return. The police are called in and soon find her body, she had been shot but her daughter is no where to be found. With a raging blizzard going on the police along ith Maddie's sister begin to look into the murder. They also need to figure out what happened to CeCe as well, is she alive or was.her body hidden.somewhere else? Follow along and see what clues they come across and if they will lead to a killer in the end.

Last Night was a perfect winter read: A fierce blizzard is burying the eastern seaboard, but on the icy Rhode Island shore renowned artist Maddie Morrison finds warm sanctuary from a contentious divorce at the legendary Ocean House. Hours later, her body is found buried under a blanket of snow and her little daughter, CeCe, has disappeared without a trace.

I have been reading Luanne Rice for as long as I can remember, and she has never written a book I haven’t enjoyed. As someone who HAS read so many of her books, I often find myself being able to guess what’s going to happen and some things may feel predictable or overlapping from her other stories, but between this book and her other newer book Last Day I can definitely see her branching out and brining in different struggles, characters and story lines and I am loving that journey both for her and her readers.

I really enjoyed the mystery of this read and can’t wait to continue to see what Rice does as her writing journey away from typical love stories with smaller tragedies to straight up murder. I’m also always a sucker for her setting since she often writes about where I grew up in CT and she’s not far off with the Rhode Island setting of this book. As I’ve gotten older and become more diverse in my reading, I still can’t give up anything Rice writes. Her books are in my soul, so while I wouldn’t give this read a full 5 star, I confidently give it a 4 and will be recommending to my friends and reading communities.

This was an OK book. I figured out the killer pretty early on, but I missed the co- conspirators and the why. It was an enjoyable read. There’s obviously some history with the characters, but I didn’t feel like I had missed out because I didn’t know the previous books. A solid three stars.

*I received this book as an Advanced Reader's Copy (ARC) through NetGalley. I received this copy free in exchange for my honest review.*

EXCERPT: The path to the beach was deep with snow. It covered the thickets on both sides, creating rounded shapes that looked like sea animals, like the white beluga whales at the aquarium. It softened everything and turned the world cold. The shape in the middle of the path was buried, and no matter how she tried to dig the snow away, the snow just kept falling and falling, so the face wasn't a face anymore; it was just a lump.

ABOUT 'LAST NIGHT': A fierce blizzard is burying the eastern seaboard, but on the icy Rhode Island shore renowned artist Maddie Morrison finds warm sanctuary from a contentious divorce at the legendary Ocean House. Hours later, her body is found buried under a blanket of snow and her little daughter, CeCe, has disappeared without a trace.

For Detective Conor Reid; his brother, Tom, a coast guard commander; and Maddie’s grieving sister, Hadley, the posh hotel becomes ground zero for an investigation. Trapped by the blizzard, they must hunker down and determine who in the young mother’s life could have possibly wanted her dead. There are stories of a twisted romantic past. Of old jealousies and resentments that still cut to the bone. And a history of greed, rage, and revenge that created the perfect storm for murder. A storm that has just begun.

MY THOUGHTS: Last Night is a family/domestic drama that should be suspenseful, but it failed miserably in this respect for me. I felt like I was being told a story, whereas I like to feel like I am experiencing the events.

This is a story of the violent death of a mother; of a loving sister and aunt; a treasured child; a marriage (or two) gone wrong; secrets, old grudges, greed, betrayal and revenge. It has all the ingredients of a great read. Instead, I found it to be average. Not bad, but not great either. It should have been suspenseful and thrilling; it was neither. There was not one moment when I caught my breath in anticipation or dread. There were, however, a few eyerolls and the occasionally muttered 'Really?' However, at no point did I consider abandoning this read - I did want to know who had killed Maddie and why.

The characters were mostly likeable (with the notable exception of Bernard), until they weren't. Although there is quite a large cast of characters, it never got confusing and for this I must commend the author. Each character had a distinct identity and role to play. The one character I did feel empathy for, surprisingly was Ronnie. He was a young lad who just wanted to please his father, to make him proud, but who ruined his own life trying to do this.

There was a LOT of dialogue in this book, and I mean a LOT. It's hard to create atmosphere with so much dialogue and atmosphere was sadly lacking here.

Unfortunately, a distinctly average read.

⭐⭐.5

#LastNight #NetGalley

THE AUTHOR: Luanne Rice is the New York Times bestselling author of thirty-seven novels and lives on the Connecticut shoreline.

DISCLOSURE: Thank you to Thomas & Mercer via NetGalley for providing a digital ARC of Last Night by Luanne Rice for review. All opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own personal opinions.

Hadley is meeting her world-renowned artist sister at her new place for Christmas. She can't wait to see her sister and niece. Maddie is going through a painful divorce from her actor husband.

But they won't be celebrating. Hadley finds Maddies body and Cece, her niece missing. But right after she finds Maddie, Hadley meets Detective Connor Reid and his girlfriend Kate. Connor has experience with solving murders and Kate understands what Hadley is going through, having lost her own sister.

We get multiple POVs, including Cece's, whos only a little girl and desperately wanting her mother.

There's lots of possible suspects. I did not figure it out. Maddie had a few secrets that Hadley didn't know about, and not everyone around them are what they seem.

I was slightly confused about the motive. I didn't totally understand the explanation.

It's been a very, very long time since I've read a Luanne Rice story and this was a great one to jump back into her stories. I loved the locale, familiar with many of the places described within the pages (and hoping to visit those I'm not familiar with). I thought I had it all figured out...I mean there were plenty of suspects in my mind. I was wrong...mostly. I enjoyed how it was all tied together. I need to go back and read Kate and Conor's story someday.

A must read! This story kept you turning the page for more. The twist at the end was unexpected. The main characters were believable and you could emphasize with them. Very enjoyable story.

Maddie is an artist who has made a name for herself. Very rich but in the middle of an acrimonious divorce, battling with a husband who is obsessed and consumed by jealousy over her professional success and even by family ties. Meeting her sister Hadley over the Christmas holidays was supposed to be a joyous reunion but it turned out horribly wrong when Maddie’s body was found with point blank gun shot injuries and more crucial Cee Cee her little daughter missing.

What follows is a story of a teenage boy being set up by his father, to prove his family loyalty by murdering a woman, the deep rooted envy that immense wealth brings and how society gets divided when its greed and jealousy combines. How money sometimes brings so much sadness to some. A complicated story with many suspects which clouded the direction of the investigation till it was sorted out.

Good story.

I’m never disappointed when I read a Luanne Rice book! Last Night is a thriller that kept me guessing the whole way through. There was art, murder and a kidnapping and it was virtually impossible for me to figure out who exactly was to blame. There were so many possible culprits. But thanks to Conor, an out of jurisdiction police officer, along with his girlfriend Kate, an art gallery owner and specialist, together they never gave up until they solved the case and brought peace back into the lives of Hadley and her niece CeCe. This was a really great read, it kept me turning the pages and at times had me feeling on edge. I’d like to thank Thomas & Mercer and NetGalley for the arc. It was a great murder mystery that had me puzzled and I’d recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good mystery/thriller. I’m giving it a 5 star rating!

Renowned artist Maddie Morrison is staying with her young daughter CeCe at the legendary Ocean House in Rhode Island when a fierce blizzard rips through, burying the town in snow and ice. Maddie leaves the hotel to meet someone during the storm. and hours later she is found buried under a blanket of snow, and CeCe is nowhere to be found. The hotel becomes ground zero for Detective Conor Reid; his brother, Tom, a coast guard commander; and Maddie’s grieving sister, Hadley as they work with local police in a race against time to find Maddie's killer, and hopefully find CeCe while she is still alive.

I normally enjoy this author's books, but this one.... not so much. It wasn't bad - just not my favorite. None of the characters were especially likeable (even CeCe or her aunt Hadley), and all of the characters seemed to be lacking in depth. None of them were relatable either, so there really wasn't a character I was rooting for. There were plenty I was rooting against though! Overall, this gets a solid three out of five.

Last Night by Luanne Rice is an engrossing story. The book is set on the Rhode Island coast during December. Famous artist Maddie Morrison and her daughter, CeCe, live in the Ocean House hotel. One night during a blizzard, Maddie takes CeCe out to the beach to meet someone. She hides CeCe in a break in a hedge for protection from the storm and also from the person Maddie is meeting. The person who shows up isn’t the one Maddie is expecting. CeCe hears a loud noise and finds her mother dead in a snowbank. CeCe is kidnapped by the shooter. The storyline centers finding CeCe and figuring out why Maddie was killed. Does it have to do with her art or possibly her contentious divorce. The area has lobster fishermen who maybe aren’t just fishermen. The end connects all the moving parts. Last Night is a gripping story that made we want to stay up way too late reading.

I was so happy to have found a new thriller-wrute, Luanne Rice, back in 2020 with Last Day and then The Shadow Box kept me hooked. Safe to say I've been waiting 3 years to read more of her work and her newest novel, Last Night, did not disappoint!

I didn't realize when I started this book that it was the second book about detective Conor Reid and his girlfriend Kate. At the beginning of the book he's debating how to propose on the beach during a snowstorm and it's not until later that parts of their history are revealed as a way to help comfort Hadley, the grieving sister in this book. I didn't feel like anything was missing though by jumping right into the second book. The chapters alternate perspectives between characters, even CeCe the missing child, as clues start to add up. It was a good mystery and I loved the setting of a Rhode Island beach hotel during a blizzard which added more difficulty and suspense to the case.
I voluntarily read and reviewed an advance copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

What started as a slow winter mystery became a gripping whodunnit I could not put down. Once I reached around 40% through, I craved any pocket of time to dive into this story.

CeCe, a six-year-old girl, and her mother, Maddie, head to Rhode Island for Christmas and for a fresh start. What began as a sweet start to a new life suddenly morphed into a tragedy full of questions.

I liked how the narration allowed for insight into CeCe's experience, and I think her character was well-written for the most part. I also liked the relationship between CeCe and her aunt.

I did not like that the story was lackluster for the first 40%. This did not deter me from continuing, thankfully, because it was around 45% that I was hooked. Read this if you like:
- found family
- mystery and suspense with minimal gore
- children in books
- hotel atmosphere

Overall, I am glad I read this book and was satisfied with the ending. Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for my eARC! Check out Last Night available Feb. 1st!

This is an edge of your seat thriller of a book!
It kept my attention from page one to the very end.
It’s a good mystery that will certainly keep you guessing. Lots of surprises along the way.

Last Night is the newest book by Luanne Rice. This book does not appear to be part of a series. However, many of the characters in this one were also in The Shadow Box. I was able to have read that one which made me jump at the chance to read this one.

A blizzard is hitting the Ocean House in Rhode Island. Maddie Morrison and her daughter CeCe head outside to meet someone. She asks her daughter to hide nearby while she talks to them. CeCe hears voices but she isn't sure who they are. Later, Maddie's body is found buried under snow and her daughter, CeCe, is missing.

Detective Conor Reid is at Ocean House for a special evening with his girlfriend Kate. But they quickly get involved in the murder of Maddie and her missing daughter.

This was a fantastic story. It is riveting and mesmerizing. This one much like The Shadow Box are puzzles where the pieces are there for you, and you have to put them together. You can't glance over the pages because you will miss important details. It is an easy and enjoyable story to read.

This was a fantastic thriller. I liked the plot and the characters were a lot of fun. Very much recommend this book.

A woman gets murdered and her daughter gets kidnapped. The race is on to find Cece and to figure out who killed Maddy and why.

Action started right at the beginning of the book. This book had lots of interwoven character relationships, where everyone has a secret and only tells half truths. This book kept me guessing until the end.

Some characters disappointed me as I read and others surprised me. I haven't read a Luanne Rice novel in years, but now I remember why I loved her writing so much. This book is a definite recommend to those who love a gripping mystery / suspense story with a murder and a kidnapping, a dash of romance and family dynamics, and without gore and spice.

Thank you to Netgalley, Luanne Rice, and the publishers for this free ebook. This review is 100% my own and honest opinion.