Cover Image: Shine

Shine

A children’s story about a moth who is afraid of the dark and has to learn to be courageous enough to be it’s authentic self, this was one that just kind of missed the mark for me. Though I do understand that this is a picture book for young kids, it felt like the story was missing parts, and thus did not flow easily. The illustrations for me seemed really dark; yes, this is a book about the dark, but I think something could have been achieved so it didn’t look a bit muddied. This may be something that is great for kids, but it just missed it’s mark for me.

I received an arc of this title from NetGalley for an honest review. A young both is afraid of the dark but loves watching the stars. Can he get over his fear so he can enjoy the night sky?

This is a sweet book about being helpful and friendly. The story is super cute and I love the main character and how the moth tells the story.
The pictures were a little tricky to see on my device so I had to really study what was in them to aid in understanding.
I can’t wait to hold this book in my hands and share with my students.
Thank you so much for allowing me to read this advanced copy

A beautiful picture book about a moth and friends, who are afraid of the dark, but find light as they face their fears. The illustrations are amazing, and the big stand out of this book. There is so much to see and discover in each picture. It's a feast for your eyes and imagination. This story also has a lovely message about getting out of your comfort zone and discovering new things as moth faces down their fears and realizing that they are stronger than they thought. A wonderful story for the whole family.

Shine by Bruno Valasse is a cute story that is in need of more sparkle! ✨

Blurb: A little moth hides from the dark, and doesn’t want to leave his bright and cozy home. But here’s a secret: he loves watching the stars. They only come out at night, though . . . when it’s dark outside. One night, the stars give the moth the courage to go outside into the night. There, he makes friends with other creatures who are also afraid of the dark, and they play and sparkle under the stars. But will a dangerous encounter with a group of hungry frogs drive the moth back inside? Or will it encourage him to create his own light in the darkness?

🌟🌟🌟.5

This is the first children’s book I am reading/reviewing on my account and it was super adorable!!! The illustrations were beautiful and the plot was good. However, the story needed to be more cohesive and concise. I felt like children would not really understand what is occurring and may get confused about the characters! All in all, a nice read for your little ones (if you have them)! 😊

Thank you to @netgalley for the opportunity to read/review this ARC! 🤩📚❤️

#shine #brunovalasse #review #bookrecommendation #bookobsessed #instabook #booklovers #instabooks #fiction #readingtime #currentlyreading #readmorebooks #author #amreading #novel #ilovebooks #booksofig #romance #bookishlove #authorsofinstagram #readersofig #igbooks #writersofinstagram #literature #bookaesthetic #love #booklife

This is a surprising little book. Form the reduced but contrasting palette, which makes the illustrations striking and memorable, to how the topic of being afraid of the night presented as an allegory to other fears, even grown-ups fears, this is a book I would think about often.

A little boy, a moth-boy, is afraid of the dark. Nothing is as dark as a moonless night, so the night, and all the unknowns it contains are at the center of the boy’s fears. But does he have a reason to be afraid? Well, yes. Bad things happen in the darkness. Our friends go lost.

But in facing our fears, and losses, that’s where we find our strength. That’s where we get to shine.

Author and illustrator Bruno Valasse does a great job at recapturing those early fears to create a story that shows children how not to be afraid.

A lovely book with a deep heart and warm soul. I can see this one quickly become a favorite among my nephews and nieces, particularly as every illustration offers so many details to explore, tons of meaning in each of them

While the story is mostly well-trod territory, the striking use of color and shadow really makes this book special. Additionally, I appreciate that the main character was not the only one who benefited from showing their true self. Instead, everyone benefited.

The art work in Shine, written and illustrated by Bruno Valasse, is stunning. It is worth buying for the artwork alone. My favorite illustration features a moth, the main character "blending in" by perching on the beak of an owl. The moth's wing has an "eye" marking that covers the owl's actual eye. But no matter how much I enjoyed the illustrations I found the story a bit strange and confusing. My advice is to skip the story and just enjoy the pictures.

thank you netgalley for the ARC!

oh my god you guys, this picture book is just toooooooo cute. the art is INCREDIBLE — seriously, the use of color is just absolutely exceptional, and the art style (like the designs of the little moth people) is precious. I could look at this forever.

the story is very short and sweet, a great read for parents with very little kids. the message is one of empowerment and overcoming your fears, so it's a great choice for shy kids who need a reminder that <i>everyone</i> shines.

an easy five stars from me especially for the art style, which is just stunning. seriously. I want framed prints of this little moth guy. SO CUTE

Absolutely stunning artwork in this book, however the story was not quite up to the same level. I found myself a bit confused in some parts, so am not sure how well the narrative will translate for our younger readers.

Stunningly illustrated children’s book about fears and coming together.

I really enjoyed the artwork throughout this book. It did a great job at capturing the twinkle and shine of the stars. Overall, I felt this book was a bit lacking in the length of the story - I think it would have benefited from a bit more plot or reflection. However, it was a beautiful quick read about overcoming fear with other by your side to experience the beauty you’d otherwise miss out on

Thanks NetGalley and Tundra Books for the ARC of this book

I got this at Netgalley in exchange for an honest review!

This was a pretty cute picture-book! I loved the flow of the text and how it was kind of lyrical! The artstyle is insanely pretty and I love the colour choices. I also really enjoyed the combination of curiosity, fear, biology (in the form of bugs with wings that look like predator eyes) and a happy ending. Do recommend!

A beautiful picture book about friendship and overcoming fears. I really liked the illustrations and the choice of color palette - it's different and beautiful.
Special thanks to Netgalley, the publisher and the author for giving the opportunity to read this advance copy.

This book!! Yes shine everywhere. We are all not meant to Be the same. Hearts and happy thoughts to showcasing that in a simple way.

This was not my favorite, unfortunately. The art style wasn't quite my taste - the color palette is striking but quite muted. My son did not seem very interested in it either. The message was very cute, but there were a few drawings that were a little scary for a very young toddler ( I thought anyway - my son was not bothered haha)

What a sweet picture book about friendship, community, and overcoming your fears. The tone and feel of the artwork in this book made it especially stunning! However, I'd recommend a paper copy, as the digital version didn't always render correctly on my e-reader or iPad.

__
Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with an e-arc of this title. This review contains my honest thoughts.

Shine by Bruno Valasse offers a beautiful metaphor for finding community and overcoming adversity to achieve your goals, making it the perfect teaching tool for children. This is the sort of book that I want children in my community reading in order to build empathy. The book almost had me crying (in a good way) and I cannot recommend it enough.

Thanks to Netgalley and Tundra books for letting me read this book early!

This is a super sweet picture book about fears, and friendship. I really loved the art and the colour palette and can’t wait to see it in person.

A pretty short story about conquering your fears and letting your true self shine. The illustrations truly carry this story and I honestly wouldn't have minded this being a book without words.

This is a cute short story about a moth who ventures out! I loved the artwork and the message. Thank you to Penguin Random House Canada for this read!