Cover Image: Don't Ask, Don't Follow

Don't Ask, Don't Follow

Murder, dark family secrets, and the unwavering bond of sisterhood—regardless of the cost

Beth Ralston, a paralegal in Portland, Oregon, would rather be racking up billable hours than mingling at an office party—especially when her sister Lindsay, aka her plus one, is a no-show.

After making her obligatory rounds, Beth returns to her office to find that her boss, who she’d talked with moments before, has been murdered. She sees a woman fleeing the scene. Wait—was that Lindsay? Unable to catch up to her in time, Beth waits for the police to arrive and notices that Lindsay has left her phone behind with an unsent text message to Beth displayed on the screen: “Don’t ask. Don’t follow.”

I really enjoyed chasing down this mystery with the main character. It’s about a woman who sees her sister running away from a place where a body is found. Her sister won’t answer her calls and no one knows where she is. She sets out to find her.

This book immediately graps your attention as there are intrigues everywhere: boss dead, sister on the run... It's up to journalist Lindsay to figure it all out. I read a lot of thrillers so unfortunately I solved the mysteries (in several ways, including the correct one) before the book was over. Am not a big fan of ""detective-type books" and this book too was mostly the lead (Lindsay) figuring out why someone would do something. The book is not badly written though, but its hard to find something truly fascinating and interesting when one read so many thrillers.

This was certainly an exciting, gripping thriller that I couldn't wait to find out more.
I was immediately pulled into the story of Beth and the whirlwind mystery and drama that unfolded around her.
More and more questions opened up the more she tried to get answers.
My brain kept churning with the possible explanations and answers, but I didn't come close to many of them.
I don't want to include spoilers, but I thought it was really well done with how it brought up many concerns and the importance of perspective in whether people are "good" or "bad," who is right and who is wrong, as well as the many dangers of secrets.
I think the thing that I liked the most was that there wasn't a clear "villain" until the end and all the secrets were revealed and questions answered. Each person Beth encountered seemed on one hand to be sketchy and another to be a victim. That is impressive writing to keep pulling my strings with important "red herrings," though they all play a vital role, that distracts from the actual person 'whodunnit.'
The author did an exceptional job at storytelling.
The revealed relations added a tragically somber tone to the book, but I also appreciated that it wasn't saturated with a squeaky clean, "everything is sunshine and roses" ending.
I received an advanced copy of this and am so glad I did. This is my first time reading the author's work and will gladly read more.
Don't Ask, Don't Follow will also make it to my "Read Again" shelf. I will happily revisit this story just like rewatching a favorite movie.
I highly recommend this for any lover of good thrilling stories, intriguing plot lines, and a good family/political deception.

This book is well written, has excellent characters and an OK plot, but it's too slow for my liking.

A break neck speed had me flipping through the pages as I wanted to know the outcome. It's incredible how quickly I became invested.

Wow! A great thriller that I couldn't put down! Excellent story with decent writing. Definitely check it out.

The story was pretty interesting, the writing wasn't as good as the story, not terrible but overly long in parts and flat in others. A paralegal, who grew up in a rich family and works for the family firm, looking for her missing sister and trying to figure out the connection to her boss who was murdered. Social issues were explored some, but could have used more depth 3.5

How far would you go to find your sister? Beth is determined to locate her sister after she slips away from a murder and puts her phone into Beth's purse. The message is Don't Ask, Don't Follow. But of course she follows. What an amazing story. Who can she trust to help her? My heart was in my throat for much of the book. I thought for sure she would be killed. So many great twists and turns. Loved it!

This mystery brings us in the world of Beth Ralston, a paralegal in Portland, Oregon; she is one that prefers working rather than partying with office colleagues anytime. But she is forced to assist and after making an appearance Beth returns to her office to find that her boss who had left the party moments before murdered...waiting for the police she noticed her sister Lindsay phone’s was left behind with a text message displayed...Don’t ask. Don’t follow....What was Lindsay, an investigative journalist doing in her boss office. What happened here? Beth is set to find out the answers.

In a few words, my thoughts:

Murder, dark family secrets, and the bond of sisterhood

When it is well done the first person narrative brings you in the characters’ mind and slowly you will be following them through their heartaches and joys. This mystery starts out with a bang but slows down a bit as it went along, although it did not deter me from enjoying the story at its maximum. We have a few twists and turns keep the suspense going and push the drama forward and with its many great layers to follow, it is imperative to stay with it. I particularly loved how Beth retraced Lindsay’s steps into the adoption scheme. Trying to guess the outcome is almost impossible and what a surprise the author spring on us at the end. I made so many hypothesizes of course all of them wrong.

“Don’t Ask, Don’t Follow”, has a unique theme with legal intricacies woven throughout and provides us with an engaging “who-done- it” plot played out by strong characters.

This is a pulse-pounding read I enjoy quite a bit.

This was such a good thriller! I was immediately hooked from the beginning, and kept in suspense the whole time. I love when I feel unable to put a book down, or I keep thinking about it throughout my day and this book did just that for me. I found it to be very entertaining. 4 stars from me!

Ooh, this is good.

Beth is a paralegal at her father’s lawfirm and would rather be working than socializing. But, when she leaves the company party to work, she stops to see her boss. Craig. And he’s dead! And OMG who is that running down the hallway? It looks like Lindsay, her sister. Beth chases Lindsay but loses her in the parking garage.

The police are called, and Beth is questioned. Beth finds Lindsay’s cell phone in her bag with the unsent text message: Don’t ask. Don’t follow.

The beginning was a little slow, but then about half way it picks up and won’t let go. I loved this! I can’t wait to read other titles from this author.

Thank you to Net Galley for a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest opinion.

Let's talk covers!!! This is one of the reasons i requested this book!

Any book that is a cat and mouse theme i will read! The suspense and all the little clues that you read and follow during the story is awesome while you try to figure out what is going on. Once i thought i had it figured out nope i had to guess again. It was a slower start when you first read the book but omg to ride it turns into is amazing.

ADD THIS TO YOUR TBR!!!! It is worth it.

Thanks NetGalley for letting me read and review.

What a game of cat and mouse this turned into. Leaving bread crumbs for you to follow. And when you think you have it figured out…guess again! This one was a little slower to start but when it picked up, what a ride it turned out to be. Add this to your TBR pile!

In Don’t Ask, Don’t Follow we meet Beth, who works at her fathers law firm. There is a murder and Beth’s sister is seen leaving the scene and becomes a prime suspect. The only problem is that no one knows where she is!

Told in the first person, Beth goes on a hunt to find her sister and figure out what it was that she was working on that may have got her into trouble. This was a fast paced read, moved quickly, never felt slow. Some of Beth’s decisions are unlikely, the story line is a little over the top and was mostly predictable early on however, the fast pace and writing style made up for that.

I had never read anything by Mary Kelikoa before, but I am going to try another one of her novels as I did enjoy the pacing of this one!

Thank-you to Oceanview Publishing and NetGalley for the eARC!

Review: I went into this book completely blind, and was automatically hooked in. It starts off strong with a lot of action right at the beginning. The story is told through the perspective of Beth, who is looking for her missing sister. That turns into a twisty web of lies, secrets, and deceit. Lindsey disappears mysteriously in the first chapter and it’s a race for Beth to find her.

The writing was really good and really helped me stay immersed in the story. Each chapter unveiled another layer of the mystery. I really loved the two main characters Beth and Lindsey. There was great character development and they felt so real. This character development is what kept me hooked. It was interesting following the mystery of what happened to Lindsay and all the clues she left behind for Beth to discover.

There is a specific mystery tied to Lindsey involving adoption agencies that I found fascinating. I really was interested in where that was going. Some thriller fans might find that this is too much of a slow burn and is missing really big twists, but for me it was great. There was enough action and intrigued that kept me hooked the entire time. I needed to know how to ended!

This book comes out June 4, 2024! Thank you Oceanview Publishing and NetGalley for an advanced reader copy in exchange for an honest review.

Beth Ralston, a paralegal, has found her boss dead in his office on the night of an office party. Her older sister Lindsay is missing and she suspects she may be involved. Beth is determined to find out the truth behind her boss death and sister’s disappearance.

#DontaskDont follow was a suspenseful read. It is set in 1 POV filled with many family secrets and drama.

I enjoyed the read some pages are a little slow and mundane

#netgalley

Don't Ask Don't Follow is a story of two sisters. One who is determined to find the truth and one who needs the truth in order to be set free and understand who they are. The main character Beth is sent on a whirlwind hunt for her sister and her boss' murder, even though she is ill-equipped to handle the mess she has been thrown into in the pursuit of answers she never knew she wanted.
I did enjoy this book although there were many liberties taken with regards to making the plot work. The writing was good but the plot was slightly unbelievable at times that it was really dependant on the reader not to allow the immersion and interest in the story to be broken. What really kept me interested in the book was the characters of Beth and Lindsay. The writing really helped me care about them. I think the overall theme and plot was interesting. Some things were a little too obvious so there was no really big shockers for me. I think I would have really liked to see the story told from the Detective's POV, instead of Beth's but that is just me.
Overall I liked Don't Ask Don't Follow. I would recommend this to others to read looking for an interesting thriller/mystery.

Don’t Ask, Don’t Follow
By: Mary Keliikoa
4 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Beth and Lindsay Ralston are sisters. Beth is a paralegal and discovers her boss dead in his office while a party is at the law firm. Lindsay is an investigative journalist and Beth sees her fleeing the scene.

Growing up they had shared the saying Don’t Ask, Don’t Follow as Lindsay would sneak out and Beth kept her secrets.

Lindsay comes up missing and Beth finds Lindsay’s cell phone in her purse with a message displaying g their secret message. No one else knows their code!!!!

This novel is full of family secrets, murder and corruption. Will Beth find Lindsay? Who killed her boss?

This was my first novel by this author and I will be looking for more. Thank you Thriller Book Lovers Promotions and Mary Keliikoa for this advanced copy. This novel is a MUST read and available June 4, 2024.

#dontaskdontfollow, #marykellikoa, #thrillerbookloverpromotions, #oceanviewpublishing, #suspense, #thriller, #booksconnectus, #bookstagram, #bookreview, #stamperlady50

Mary Keliikoa did it again. Thank you netgalley and publishers for this arc in exchange for my honest opinion and review.

Beth is a paralegal working at her father's lawfirm. Trying to make her way through life without his help. At the Christmas party, she finds her boss murdered in his office and her whole life as she knows it is changed forever.

I just really enjoy Keliikoa's writing and story telling. There is good character development, great plot, and realistic twists throughout. Looking forward to her next installment.