Cover Image: To Cage a God

To Cage a God

Really enjoyed this book. A page turner - dragons, complex family dynamics, queer characters and complex relationships. What’s not to like? Magic and mayhem - looking forward to a sequel! Thank you to #netgalley and the publisher for an advance copy.

I wasn't able to enjoy this book as I found it very generic and unoriginal in its plotting, perhaps it'll fare better with a younger audience and people not that familiar with the history this draws inspiration from.

The caging a god concept is very cool and this author can certainly write—but combined with so much complex political intrigue, I felt there was too much going on to follow comfortably.

If you're looking for your next book hangover, look no further! Because Elizabeth May seriously brings it in To Cage a God. I can't say too much but gahhh this book is everything! I could NOT put it down once I started it! Mark your calendars because you are not going to want to miss this!

Who stayed up until 2am reading, got up at 8am for work, and proceeded to read during every break? This girl! To Cage a God by Elizabeth May was absolutely amazing and I can’t wait for everyone else to get to experience it in February! Fans of Fourth Wing (as it has been all the rage recently) will definitely enjoy it and I plan to sell it to every romantasy fan that comes into the store!

To Cage a God has five POV characters (iirc) and usually I end up with a favorite, begrudgingly reading the other POVs, but I truly loved every single character in this book!

We get not one, but TWO romances in this book, and Elizabeth May delivers beautifully! Sera left her lover Vitaly four years prior when she fled with her sister Galina. Sera and Vitaly work so well together and it’s hilarious that Vitaly’s love language is essentially murder. Galina infiltrates the palace to take the empire down from within, and in the process falls for the reclusive Princess Vasilisa. (Yes, we get a sapphic romance too!) I loved the disability rep from Vasilisa and watching them fall for each other made me swoon.

Elizabeth May does a great job of mixing the sweet and spicy without losing any plot or worldbuilding. The plot is tight and fast paced while the world is expansive and deep. The world may be Russian inspired, but expect more revolution than Anastasia vibes (which I loved)! This new take on dragons, gods, and magic was exciting and had me entranced until the final page! I will be eagerly awaiting book two in the duology!