Cover Image: Avocado Magic

Avocado Magic

This was a lovely book about being a child [and learning to enjoy being a child], patience, and how we grow [using an avocado from a beloved avocado tree that they sit under for parties and the such] and all the beauty we see along the way. It is a lovely story between a father and a daughter and then the daughter and her child when the daughter has grown. Filled with absolutely gorgeous illustrations and an author's note at the end on how to sprout an avocado seed to grow your own tree, this is a lovely book that littles will go back to again and again. Very well done.

I was asked to read/review this book by the publisher, NorthSouth Book, INC and I thank them and the author, Taltal Levi for providing the book in exchange for an honest review.

Ellie loves to celebrate her birthday under an avocado tree. Shortly after Ellie’s birthday, she voiced her frustration, she expected to have grown. She was a year older, so she should be taller.

The picture book introduced the magic of growing plants and family encouraging her to have patience, the magic does not show immediately. The book intrudes nurturing by having Ellie showing care to her plant and she showed wonderment when the avocado started to grow.

Thank you Taltal Levi, NorthSouth publishing, and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this charming book.

Truly a delight! This would be such a lovely giftable book. The colors, the flow of the words - just beautiful. Keep up the magical work (no pun intended).

Touching, sweet, lovely, and treasured are all words I'd use to describe Avocado Magic. When little Ellie wants to rush growing up, her father lovingly teaches her that not all things in life are fast. She must have patience and enjoy growing up, and treasure those in her life.

This story is very touching and my personal favorite is the intergenerational love between Ellie, her father, and Ellie's child later on. It's a perfect way to gently remind children to slow down and appreciate their childhood and it is very well done.

Perfect story time read and great for rich discussions on growing up!

Thank you to NetGalley and Northsouth for providing me with this ARC. All opinions are my own.

My thanks for the ARC goes to NetGalley and NorthSouth Books. I'm voluntarily leaving a review.

What a warm and delightful story about growing up!

I love the color palatte in the illustrations—they're vibrant and fresh like new growth. This is a tender story that adults are going to love too.

I highly recommend this book.

Happy reading!

Such cute illustrations and quite a nice story. The steps to grow an avocado is nicely written for kids. Thank you the author, the publisher, and Netgalley for sending me this e-ARC.

Thank you to the author, NorthSouth Books and NetGalley, for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

This beautifully illustrated children's book tackles the issue of patience and realizing that growth happens slowly, and even when we don't see it, using the image of an avocado seed that grows and flourishes. We ended up planting our own avocado seed, following the helpful instructions at the back of the book, and the kids I read this book with have referred back to the lessons imparted several times already. Highly recommend.

If you’ve ever tried to sprout your own avocado you’ll relate to Ellie and this story. A beautiful story, wonderfully illustrated, it’s an exceptional gentle tale about the magic of and patience needed when growing up. The prose is fantastic and this is a must addition to your child’s selection of books.

This was a beautifully illustrated children’s book about love and patience. It was very sweet. I’d buy it for a child in my life.

Thanks to the author and publisher for the e-arc I received from NetGalley.

“Avocado Magic” by Taltal Levi was such a sweet and inspirational story for children! The illustrations are beautifully done with warm colors and soft lines. It’s a comfortable book for any child to curl up with!

The story begins with a kindergartener named Ellie who’s upset that she isn’t growing faster despite becoming a year older. Her father tells her she’s like an avocado seed – small but full of magic. He then walks Ellie through the steps of how to grow an avocado tree. Ellie is quite impatient for the seed to sprout and grow, but her father keeps reminding her to be patient and wait for the magic to happen. As the avocado tree slowly grows, so does Ellie, and the story follows her and her tree as the years pass by.

I would highly recommend this book to younger children. The pictures alone will hold their attention, but the story is a wonderful tool for parents and teachers to use to explain the importance of patience – and to possibly use the instructions to start their own avocado tree!

Thank you to NetGalley and NorthSouth Books for the opportunity to read an advanced reader's copy of this book for an honest review.

Very sweet story about patience and remembering that growth is always taking place especially within us even if we don't see it. Cute illustrations!

A girl named Ellie is upset about not growing fast enough so her dad has her learn about patience through the growth of an avocado seed. They patiently water it and watch it grow - very slowly.

This was a cute story and picture book, focusing on growing up, patience, and that sometimes things just take time. I liked how it all came together, with teh age progression of Ellie and her avocado seed/plant/ tree. The book was vibrant and fun. Illustraions were flowing and really pretty.

I think that as she ages with the avocado and grows up, some nuance might be lost on some younger readers that she has a lovely tree for her kids... and that she has fully grown up. Maybe not though.

The book also included avocado seed instructions and care.

What a lovely book. The illustrations flow seamlessly with the story. It has a good message, and children will enjoy it.

This is a very sweet and simple children's book that teaches the value of patience and hidden potential. The highlight for me was absolutely the illustrations. They are gorgeous and warm and vibrant and will definitely be eye-catching to young children.

Overall I thought the message good but I wanted something a little more from it, something a bit deeper. I also thought the ending with Ellie growing up and moving out was a bit rushed and not explained in a very clear way. I did love the instruction on planting your own avocado seed, I think that's something that kids (and adults!) would love to do.

Thank you NorthSouthBooks for the ARC in exchange for my honest review.

Ellie is impatient to grow and her father used the seed of an avocado to gently remind her that growth is happening all the time, even if you can't see it or even if it takes a long time for the changes to be seen

I had been in the past couple of weeks in a really bad reading slump for myself and when I get like this and I am screaming out for books to read, I give myself something quick to read and I know I had a couple of picture books left on my Netgalley shelf to read and review. Avocado Magic by Taltal Levi was one of them and after reading this book, I guarantee it will give you and other readers a new appreciation for the Avocado which is often a tasteless food. In Avocado Magic by Taltal Levi, it is Ellie's birthday. She goes to bed all excited but when she wakes up in the morning, she is disappointed as even though she is now a whole year older, she doesn't feel any different than she did the day before. Nothing has changed, how can a birthday and being a year older not make any significant change? Her Dad, seeing Ellie is down gives her an Avocado seed to nurture and grow and explains that just like this process can be slow and steady with a little bit of everyday joy and magic in our lives, we can grow to be amazing just like the avocado from seed to ready to eat. The moral of this book is that we all need a little Avocado Magic in our lives and to appreciate the small moments and joy in our everyday lives though it might not be obvious to the naked eye, great and amazing things are happening in the background. Also included at the end of this book are instructions on how to grow your own Avocado from seed. This picture book with its beautiful illustrations is perfect for children aged 6-10 years old.

Do you remember how impatient most of us were to "grow up"? This is a lovely story of how one loving father showed his daughter how not to get in a rush. The illustrations are lovely, peaceful looking with an almost golden/sunny feel to them. There are also directions at the end on how to grow/sprout your own avocado.

Ellie's birthday was exciting but she's disappointed to find that her feet still don't touch the floor when seated in the kitchen. When she shares the disappointment with her father, he's wise enough to show, not tell her, how slow growth can be by using something familiar to her. After all, they celebrated her birthday under an avocado tree, so what better thing to use. A simple avocado seed. Initially frustrated at seeing no immediate growth, her father reminds Ellie that the magic within takes time and works best if patiently nurtured. Some cute scenes of her ideas for nurturing it mirror ways parents may nurture and love their own children, a subtle note, but there. We follow Ellie until her feet finally touch the floor and beyond, always with her avocado near. Finally, we see her as an adult with her own family, sharing her father's wisdom with her own child under her now avocado tree. In other words, a sweet story of a father's love and nurturing as passed on to his own child, Ellie, who continues the traditions with her own family under the now tall, strong avocado tree she nurtured.

As always, I more or less went through the story initially simple to enjoy the illustrations. They do an excellent job of telling the story, actually, and a clever reader/child can almost come up with their own story simply by looking at the illustrations. The author illustrated the book herself, btw. As a parent, it's the perfect story to use with a child who despairs of ever growing up. For the child, of course, growing up initially means physically while the father and readers can see how much more is involved and shown through Ellie's life. While there isn't a huge amount of action or, for that matter, obvious humor, perhaps the story is all the stronger for those very reasons. Thank you #NetGalley and #NorthSouthBooks for sharing Ellie's avocado story with me. I thoroughly enjoyed it and am still smiling at the sense of sunshine/gold in the illustrations. This one is for all parents and would make a lovely gift to new parents, I'd think.

Growing pains aren't just about physical changes. It's also about the urge for freedom, wanting your thoughts to matter, and essentially, having a voice – something that can be tough even for adults. This book becomes inspiring also for grown-ups feeling hopeless about self-fulfillment. It's about the rush to achieve something, feeling stuck in the age when kids don't realize that life is more about enjoying the journey. This feeling might make children miss out on the beauty of their current age and ultimately feel unsatisfied no matter what they achieve later. They're always longing for something more attainable, unable to find contentment within themselves, waiting for something to happen instead of appreciating the present. In my childhood, stories often portrayed growing up as something that happens gradually over time, emphasizing the importance of patience and the beauty of the journey using the metaphor of a butterfly emerging from its cocoon. Patience was key; without it, reaching the true potential of something wasn't possible.

This book conveys a similar message, but it uses an avocado instead of a butterfly, which seems more fitting. While perceptions of time might vary, the essence remains: 'Everything needs time to mature.' Some children might struggle to relate to a butterfly due to their short lifespan or the time it takes to transform. This might hinder their understanding of the story's intended message. In Turkey, choosing an avocado might seem odd as it's relatively new to our tables. However, it has been grown for years in cities along the Mediterranean coast and, albeit slowly, is gaining popularity in other cities too. Despite the belief that avocados are imported and not grown here, some fellow countrymen have been harvesting avocados from their gardens for years. So, this book could help instill awareness among readers in my country as well.

Taltal Levi's 'Avocado Magic' is an illustrated book dedicated to those rushing through the process of growing up. It successfully achieves its purpose, whether taken literally or metaphorically. The illustrations and the story parallel the child's growth with that of an avocado. However, unlike a child, when an avocado seed is planted, there's a sense of acceptance, a calmness about its current stage. On the other hand, you see impatience in the child, unable to cope with disappointment, showing a tendency to cause harm. Yet, with the calm approach of an adult – which is crucial as reacting to negative behavior sets a bad example – the child accepts the journey and shares it with the avocado. When the child pauses to enjoy the moment, much like an avocado basking in the sun, it demonstrates the effectiveness of this approach. And when the awaited day arrives, it shows that the wait was indeed worth it, portraying the fruition of time.

Additionally, the expectations the child has about the avocado, depicted in one of the pages, intrigued me. It reminded me of how we sometimes project our desires onto things unintentionally, much like what adults might have expected from us when we were kids. However, an avocado seed has limitations on what it can become. Yes, it'll eventually turn into something beautiful, but only if it chooses the right path. This suggests that aligning our lives with our talents and interests is key to realizing our true potential and encountering a happier, more evolved society.

Another significant aspect is how the book suggests that a child, dealing with a situation through a metaphor, might share it with peers. It indicates that any impact on a child's life can create a chain reaction. In the wrong hands, it can undoubtedly turn into something harmful, which is never our intention.

Sometimes, we forget that we only get one shot at life and rush through it. We put in so much effort to reach somewhere that we forget to appreciate the journey. Amidst all kinds of tension, stress, and sorrow, I sometimes notice this in myself when I take a moment to listen to my inner voice. Then, I put everything aside and focus on something I'd regret not doing later. That's my way of getting through tough moments.

After two wonderful successes, this Levi book didn't really do much for me. It's about a girl impatient to grow – she measures her success by whether she can touch the ground with her toes when sat on her breakfast chair – and so is given an avocado stone to nurture. Oddly enough this doesn't exactly burst into life and growth overnight, either – so the girl is distracted, and we watch the two grow up together, but would something like this appeal to a younger version of me? I don't think it would have done. And that's not just because I hate avocados…

A wonderful message and a spectacular art about growth. This book is engaging and the color scheme is calming to the eyes.