Cover Image: The House Keeper

The House Keeper

Cassie moves to the country to escape her past and build her dream. She dreams of owning and running a B &B . She falls in love with Hindon House a big run down mansion. She soon discovers that someone in the town doesn't want her to own Hindon House. Strange things start to happen and very strategic accidents. Cassie doesn't know if it's someone close to her or who it might be.
This is a slow, twisty mystery. I enjoyed the twists in the end and didn't see them coming. I especially loved the villain. I want to say more but won't ruin the book. I also liked Cassie's backstory.. is she a terrible person or someone were rooting for ?

Thanks to #BoldwoodBooks and #NetGalley for providing me with the ARC of #TheHouseKeeper by #ValerieKeogh. Still reeling from the sudden death of her husband, a young widow jumps into fulfilling her dream of a lifetime: opening a bed and breakfast out in the countryside. Cassie finds the perfect old house to help with her plan, to heal her pain and maybe hide a secret or two, but Hindon House has some secrets of its own to hide. The story weaves into a decent little mystery that got me staying up late a couple of nights! This was a well-crafted, taut story that kept me guessing until the very end.

As others before me have said in reviews the title didn't quite hit the mark with this.
Following a recent tragedy, Cassington sells up and moves in pursuit of her dream to start up a B&B and Hindon House seems like the perfect location to renovate and make her dream a reality.
It isn't long before strange happenings alert Cassie that all is not as it seems at Hindon House.
This book was bound with twists and turns and kept me guessing from start to end.

Cassie buys a dilapidated old house to restore to glory as a B&B. But a series of suspicious and spooky incidents make her think that someone is trying to force her out of her new home...
The Housekeeper is a psychological thriller set in the UK.
Cassie was recently widowed and wants a fresh start. She leaves London for the country and intends to fully renovate Hindon House. But the lights and electrics are constantly failing despite repeated checks by professionals. She starts to fear that someone doesn't want her to stay in the house but her steely resolve is determined to see the project through.
The book is written in the third person in the present day throughout, with some recollections of Cassie's past. Cassie makes several references to a secret that hints she might have a dangerous streak. I felt desperately sad as her marriage and IVF journey are described as well as her husband's death in a car crash.
The atmosphere is really spooky at times. There is a good tension created as Cassie begins to fear for her life as dangerous incidents start to stack up. I guessed the twist of who but had no idea on why. The front cover offers a clue so don't look too closely... I don't quite 'get' the title but I suppose it could have multiple interpretations.
The Housekeeper has a creepy atmosphere and emotional plot twists.

Can’t believe I’ve not read any of this lady’s work before…. My TBR pile has grown now!
Story of loss and a woman wanting to try to grieve and recover. Only to be met with further turmoil in this thriller full of twists!! LOVED how we as the reader are kept on edge and really does pack a punch. Great read! Thanks netgalley, author, publisher ⭐️

THE HOUSE KEEPER interested me from the beginning, with a plot that promised intrigue and mystery. I was drawn into the story initially but around the 30% mark, the plot started dragging and not much progress was being made. There was too much time spent on plot elements that didn’t move the story forward and as a result, I found myself losing interest and just trying to make it to the end. The twist at the end did redeem it slightly, but not enough to make up for more than half of a book that was bloated and a bit overwritten.

Thanks to NetGalley and Boldwood Books for the opportunity to read and review THE HOUSE KEEPER.

Another sort of new-to-me author is Valerie Keogh. I loved her book, The Trophy Wife, and that one made me look into her other novels and start reading her back list. The House Keeper is a new book, out now. Worth your time to read. I am a fan of reading a book without knowing exactly what it’s about. If I see an author I like, I happily go into it blindly and trust that the author is going to keep me engaged with the story. Such was the case with this book!

Here are the details:

An unwelcome guest? Still in shock after the tragic death of husband Richie, Cassie Macreddin hopes that her new home, historic Hindon House, is the place where she can heal her pain and hide her secrets. But Hindon House has secrets of its own… Cassie soon realises that not everyone is pleased at her arrival and that someone is actively trying to make her leave Hindon House….but who? And why? As events escalate, Cassie must fight to save her home…and maybe even her life.

Read it now!

The main character, Cassie, recently widowed, leaves London to move to the countryside to fulfill her life long dream to run a B&B. Enter Hinton House, a large manor left to be overtaken by ivy, brambles, mold and rot. Cassie begins renovations on the house and strange things start to happen. Lights go off, breakers switched, running water, uplifted floorboards and more. With every obstacle, she desperately seeks out the history of the home and its past owners, convinced someone is out to get her. When things continued to happen throughout the book, it made me suspicious of different people, other possible paranormal activity, but in the end the real story was nowhere near what I had expected.
It took me several days to read, longer than normal, it was slow in parts (not the fast paced thriller I had expected). The MC’s constant internal confidence battles and psychological breakdowns had me both angry and sympathetic. I really felt for her situation, and could feel her frustration, but also wanted to give her a swift kick-in-the-butt at times as well.

Not my favourite book by this author. I found the first half meandering and I was wondering where the thriller element was going to come in. I think I just didn't believe in the main character and so the story didn't hold my attention.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC.
That was an interesting and different book. I did not expect any of the end.
It is kind of slower moving at first and then things go haywire as more things happen while construction to restore Hindon house continues. Things really get interesting when we find out what happened there and who is trying to cover things up.
It was a chaotic but good book. I didn’t expect the ending at all.

The Queen of Mystery is back with a bang.............

The Housekeeper by Valerie Keogh brings to you a fast paced psychological thriller with an immersive plot and equally interesting characters. The plot at once draws your attention with its mysterious tone. With each page tension and secrets start rising in the atmosphere. The plot transcends an aura of thrill inside you. Indeed, Valerie Keogh is a master story teller. In fact, her writing style is quite interesting where she chooses each word carefully making the narrative as simple as possible.

The plot sparks interest with every page and I can assure you that every incident will come as a surprise for you. Also, the tertiary characters have an equal footing with the main character. Cassie's character is very mysterious where readers interact not only with her present but with her shady past also. And, then you hit the climax like a fast speed car giving you an adrenaline rush. For me the book was awesome and exciting. Thanks to Boldwood Books and Netgalley for providing me with an opportunity to read and review the book.

After the death of her husband Richie, Cassie Macreddin continues on with the plans that they had together, to own and operate a B&B. She purchases the historic Hindon House. The perfect place for her to recover from her tragic past.

Not everyone is happy with her decision in the town. It seems that someone is trying to chase her from her plans. The lights go off, and the electric breaker keeps getting turned off. She hires the best, or so she thought to get started on the remoldeing. It is a huge undertaking with The things that go on you would think that this is a haunted house, well it may very well be.

Cassie meets and makes friends with an elderly lady and they often visit each other. She learns a little more about the house and about who had previously lived there, and why they left. The man that she has hired to do the work Daniel Cody seems to be legit, so between the two of them, she starts going through and getting rid of items that were left behind.
A bit of a back story, her husband prior to dying had asked Cassie for a divorce. He is no longer happy in the marriage, while on the way to a friend's house for a party, there is a tragic accident that she feels was her fault.

Things get stranger and stranger until the culmination, had me floored, never saw it coming. But that is what a good story is about, right? Keep the reader hooked until the last page. I really enjoyed the book. I do intend to read more by this author!

I give it 5 stars!

Wow what a great book, Which just keeps on giving. Enjoyed every twist and turn and the ending was just brilliant. Highly recommend this book.

I did finish it but this was not one of her best books a little bit disappointed nothing much going on in it the thrill factor seemed to be missing

Valerie Keogh is an author who writes the most superb books. I have read the majority (if not all) of her work. I am now at the point that I dont need to check the blurb or even see the cover. If it has Valerie's name on it, I really want to read it!

The Housekeeper is an immensely addictive psychological thriller. I found myself almost inhaling this one! Even the title isn't as straightforward as you would think.

Valerie has created an atmospheric and twisty story. Cassie, the main character, a widow whose husband died in a car crash, wants a fresh start in the country. She buys an old dilapidated house to make into a BnB. Strange things start happening, and Cassie starts to think someone wants her out.

I found the fact that I suspected everyone and knew nothing, such an enjoyable read. Everyone and everything held secrets! I loved it! It's as simple as that. The characters were, as always, so well created that it was easy to get invested and obsessed with wanting to get all the answers.

The creepy factor was high, too! I was extremely pleased I had started to read The Housekeeper during the day. By the time I had got to the last quarter it was going dark and I had to turn al the lights on! It crept me out quite a lot. Valerie Keogh has done it yet again! She knows how to tick every single box for me to have a belter of a read.
Thanks to Rachel's Random Resources and Boldwood Books and NetGalley.

The Housekeeper was a great read. The main character, Cassie, left London to move to the countryside and she bought a large manor house for her to turn into a B&B. When she moved, she got a lot of funny looks when she went into the town and she started to get suspicious. Cassie begins work on the house and strange things happen in the house and she is trying to work out the history of the house and its previous owners. She is convinced someone is out to kill her. When things began to happen throughout the book, it made me suspicious of different people but who it turned out to be really shocked me.

I thought it started off as a slow burner as mysterious things happened around the house. The pace picked up at the end when everything started coming together and it was shocking. I was so eager to know the truth behind the house and I was hooked from the first chapter. I did find the title was misleading as I was expecting a housekeeper to turn up and look after the house but it didn’t take anything away from the story.

The writing style was good in this book, it kept me engaged and made me guessing all the time. The characters were intriguing, the main character was well developed and I was curious about her secrets. I’ve read a few of this authors books and they are consistently good! I highly recommend this author and their books.

A House Keeper but not as you may expect….An interesting story building on the premise of a widow selling up in London and buying her dream home to turn into a B and B……however there is a lot of guilt she is trying to run away from and inevitably this follows her…….also the dream home is more than in need of renovation…..and it has a past,a murky one that some people want left in the past and don’t take kindly to the possibility of it all being unearthed The story is told well,although Cassie ( main character ) is very defensive and has a habit of causing herself untold grief by seeing slights that just aren’t there half the time…...there are reasons for this though…..(there are too many coffees mentioned 😊 at one point Cassie was on her 4th in the matter of a couple of hours ) nevertheless a good intriguing story that took a surprise twist near the end and was not what I was expecting at all….😎

BLOG TOUR REVIEW

Review for 'The Housekeeper' by Valerie Keogh..

Read and reviewed via NetGalley for Valerie Keogh, Boldwood Books and Rachel's Random resources Tours.

Publication date 9th October 2023

This is the third book I have read by this author. I have also read 'The Librarian' and 'The Nurse' and would highly recommend them both!!

This novel consists of a prologue, 44 chapters and an epilogue. The chapters are short to medium in length so easy to read 'just one more chapter' before bed...OK, I know yeah right, but still just in case!

'The Housekeeper' discusses some topics that may upset some readers or may not be suitable for others. I like to point this out ahead of time in my reviews so you can judge if this book is for you or not. In this book Valerie discusses miscarriage and infant death.

If you are ever looking for a fast paced thriller then Valerie is definitely the author for you!!! I don't even bother reading the synopsis before I start reading her books now because I just know they are going to be fantastic. As you can tell I LOVED the storyline!!! I found it to be extremely fast paced and I just could not put it down and ended up reading it in one sitting. The only thing I will say that I found to be a shame when it comes to the storyline is that by the end of the book I did find the ending to be questionable when it came to the realism. I still enjoyed the storyline and the book but I have to admit that, for me, I preferred the other books I have read by this great author. I loved the gothic type setting and the creepiness during the storyline. I cannot remember the last time I flew through a book so quickly. Each and every time I went to put it down to do something my fingers were itching to pick it back up as I just HAD to know what happened next!! Valerie's evocative writing skills ensures you are dragged deep into the storyline seeing everything that is happening and feeling the tension and suspense throughout. I was on the edge of my seat and biting my nails wondering what was going to happen next. My heart was in my throat throughout reading this fast paced, gripping and gritty psychological thriller! It is ram packed with twists, tension, stress, suspense and everything you could ask for in a psychological thriller. I can't say more than that as I don't want to spoil it for future readers so if you want to know you'll have to grab yourself a copy!! You won't regret it!!

The characters come to life with Valerie's fantastic writing skills. They are well rounded, complex, realistic and strong making them all the more believable. I had mixed feelings when it came to Cassie where at times she annoyed me with her snappy attitude at some of the male characters, other times I felt sorry on her and then at other times I wanted to shout at her for being so clumsy or not using some sense, for example in regards to the lights going out you would like to think she'd learn to keep a torch on her after the first couple of times!!! Although she did annoy me in occasions I was still completely invested in her and needed to know what was going to happen and the reasons behind everything that was happening. I enjoyed meeting Daniel Cody and Elsie Morgan but would have liked to know more about them and see their characters fleshed out more . Although there are definitely mixed feelings about the characters I still enjoyed this fantastic storyline which is definitely a bonus as usually when I'm not a fan of the characters it puts me off reading the book or I won't enjoy it but Valerie's fantastic storytelling skills definitely makes up for it. I won't go into more details as I don't want to risk giving anything away but Valerie has done an amazing job constructing an addictive and explosive psychological thriller with varied characters that you just won't be able to put down!!

Congratulations Valerie on another great read!!! This is exactly why you are in my favourite author club!! Here's to many more successes 🥂!!!

Clear your schedules before picking this up as you will not be able to put it down!!!

Make sure you read to the very end of the book to read the first chapters of Valerie's 'The Lawyer' which promises to be just as addictive as this book and is one I'm looking forward to reading myself!!!

Overall an absolutely page turning, addictive, gripping and gripping must read that will keep you addicted from the very start to the fantastic ending!!!

288 pages.

This book is just £1.99 to purchase on kindle via Amazon, free with kindle unlimited and £12.99 in paperback which I think is an absolute bargain for this book!!!

Rated 4/5 (I enjoyed it ) on Goodreads, Instagram, Amazon UK and Amazon US and on over 30 Facebook pages plus my blog on Facebook.

Feel free to add me on Goodreads or follow me on my website or Facebook for more reviews.

#TheHousekeeper #ValerieKeogh #BoldwoodBooks #BoldwoodBloggers #BookAndTonic #RachelsRandomResources #rararesources #BookReview #BlogTour #BooksOnTour #BookReview #BlogTour #BooksOnTour #Goodreads #Amazon #AmazonKindle #Bookstagram #Bookblogger #KindleUnlimited #Netgalley

@TheHousekeeper @ValerieKeogh @RachelsRandomResources @rararesources @BoldwoodBooks @BoldwoodBloggers @BookAndTonic @Bookworm1986 @bookworm86 @Bookworm1986 @bookworm86 @Goodreads @Amazon @AmazonKindle @Bookstagram @BookBlogger @KindleUnimited @Netgalley

Cassie Macreddin is heading into Wiltshire to look at a home she wants to buy. It’s called Hindon House. She knows it has been vacant for a couple of years and certainly needs a lot of work. She wants to redo it and open it as a Bed and Breakfast.

Her husband, Richie, had been killed in a car crash leaving her uninjured. So, six months after his death, Cassie quits her job, sells her apartment and furnishings, and using Richie’s large insurance policy money, heads off for a new life.

Settling on the house, she realizes there’s more to repair than she thought but plans to do a lot of the work herself. She hires Daniel Cody who has a great reputation for doing good renovations.

But, soon things start happenings that make her wonder if someone is trying to make her leave the house. She certainly doesn’t believe in ghosts so could someone else be behind these events and if so, why?

This book is so twisty and scary that it sent chills down my spine the whole time I was reading it. The ending was a real shocker and left me shivering. A great story to read with all the lights on in the house. Enjoy!

Copy provided by NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.

The Housekeeper is an addictive read with a snappy pace and an intriguing storyline.

Cassie moves from London to an old house in the country to open a B&B and help her get over the pain of her husband's death. Things don't go according to plan and immediately sinister things happen. Several of the village residents don't seem happy that an outsider has taken over Hindon House, but it's up to Cassie to find out who and why.

The book was also a little creepy at times. The lights going off suddenly, the eerie kitchen, the previous owners just getting up and leaving suddenly... it gave me the odd shiver throughout.

I will say there is a certain amount of suspend your disbelief at the ending but it was still thoroughly enjoyable.

The housekeeper was the perfect read for these long autumnal nights.