Cover Image: The House Keeper

The House Keeper

The House Keeper is the title and it's misleading as you think of hired help but it is not that at all rather a keeper of the house and all it's secrets which the title makes perfect sense just not in the way the majority of people would think. I personally think it is very clever and after reading the entire book I was not disappointed. It started out slow paced but at the 50% mark it picks up and will bowl you over. I got the haunted house vibes which is perfect reading for this month especially. The characters while likeable are untrustworthy and the plot has a secret twist that I did not expect.

This was a good book, with a twisty ending. It was well written and fast reading.
Cassie is a widow, with a desire to start her new life. With the life insurance money after her husband’s death, she buys an old house, with the plan to open a country B & B.
While renovations get under way, Carrie continually finds strange things happening in the house: lights going on and off, bars on windows, even a pet cemetery. However, she remains determined to proceed with her plans. That is, until she’s stopped.
By the shocking end of the book, the secrets of this old house are finally revealed! Valerie Keogh has written a very good, entertaining book!
4 stars

Thank you to NetGalley and Boldwood books for the advanced copy in return for my honest review.

I found this book to be a thoroughly enjoyable read. The author has done an excellent job of creating an interesting narrative that kept me engaged throughout. Although I classify myself as a fan of this genre, this book managed to surprise me with its unexpected twists and turns. The book does a great job of captivating the reader from the beginning, with a captivating first page and a brisk pace that never lets up.

The narrative invites readers to form their own theories about who the culprit might be, and then masterfully casts doubt on those assumptions, creating a sense of suspense and intrigue. The plot of the book is intricate and cleverly designed, with each revelation adding complexity to the story.

Overall, I would highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a well-crafted mystery with plenty of surprises and a satisfying payoff. Another recommended read by Keogh that you don't want to miss out on!

This is definitely my favourite thriller by Keogh to date.

I love books set in old houses, there's so much to be explored in them and they usually have a great history to them. Hindon House it turns out had plenty of both, and it made for such a great read. I was a little disappointed that there didn't turn out to be a haunting, well not of the spectral kind anyhow and no one would suspect a nonogenarian would they?

Fast paced, suspenseful, disturbing and definitely one to immerse yourself in for several hours.

This was yet another compelling read from Valerie Keogh. I did enjoy the twists and turns of this book. the development of the growing sense of dread, of the knowledge that someone or something was working against the heroine and her attempts to renovate a neglected house. Highly recommended Thank you #BoldwoodBooks and #Netgally

Cassie buys Hindon House as part of her plan to move to the country to start a new chapter in her life. Trauma has left her questioning everyone around her as she moves forward with renovations to open a B&B. But old houses hide their own secrets and Hindon House is no exception. As the cast of characters move around the pages, their place in the overall story is sometimes unclear. But secrets will be revealed and Cassie's step forward may not be so straight forward. Make your reservation and setlle in with a good book....this one....for a twisted trip.

Thanks to #NetGalley and #BoldwoodBooks for the ARC #TheHouseKeeper by #ValerieKeogh. This book is disturbing and suspenseful in that someone or something thing wants her gone. Already dealing with guilt over her husbands death, should she give up or keep going?

Another absolutely superb psychological thriller by Valerie. Cassie leaves her past life in London and buys an old country house with the vision of turning it into a B&B, the perfect place being Hindon House - or so she thinks! Soon after moving in, she finds out about the previous owners who stayed a matter of months before leaving and selling up. Not long after this, strange things start happening around the house making Cassie think she is going mad or at the least, that the place may be haunted.

I read this one in just over a day, unputdownable and a real page turner, each chapter ending on a cliffhanger or revelation. I’ve read quite a few of Valerie’s books now, and they never disappoint.

The House Keeper was an unputdownable, page turner of a story that I loved. There were plenty of twists and turns to throw the reader off track and quite the unexpected ending.

Thank you to NetGalley and Boldwood Books for my ARC.

Cassie Macreddin leaves her London apartment to be the new owner of Hindon House. She found the home property on the internet, an old home that needed extensive repair and redecoration such as enlarging the floor plans, knocking down the walls, and without exception extending the kitchen. Her heart is set on getting the new house and there seems to be a delay that has stopped her dream. The Hindon House was the ideal outside of London for her to quit her boring job in civil service and start afresh was her dream that had to be made possible. She meets up with Chris Baker the real estate agent of Hindon House who is ready to show her around the house. Her plan was to run a country house B&B.

Cassie had given herself six months since the accident that had killed her husband - Richie. Having widowed she was hiding the truth behind her husband's death from her friends. It wasn't something she could tell. She kept it to herself regardless otherwise it would ruin everything she had planned. For ten years they have been married the matter that they couldn't have children began to impact their relationship as Richie was obsessed and desperate to have children.

Cassie finds a pet cemetery on the grounds of the house. A graveyard or cemetery she did not want in her garden. Daniel Cody promised to take up renovation for the Hindon House - getting rid of those small rooms gutting the kitchen, getting rid of excess furniture and replacing the light-fitting. Surely the house had dark secrets and a history of having previous owners. Always the lights go out which makes her unsettled. This made Cassie cry, frustrated, desperate and cold angry. There is a fault with the electrics or someone is playing tricks on her? Some are ghosting her. The unreliable electrics were unsettling and to add were a burden on Cassie. Some of the suspects of Cassie were - Chris Baker and underbidders who had an interest in the house. Somebody wanted the house to themself.

Mrs. Elsie Morgan is another interesting character, who knows a lot about the Hindon House.

I found the story mysterious and intriguing. A cozy lovely read for those who love crime and thriller stories that have compelling twists. Never I guessed what was happening throughout the story but it ended well. Thanks to Netgalley and Boldwood Publishers for an advance digital review copy for my honest review.

Smitha Agy: Novel Nerd Blog: https://smithareading.blogspot.com/

WOW, what a story this is. Addictive from the very beginning with so many twists. The title didnt seem to fit but became relevant towards the end of the book. Great story that I thoroughly recommend. Many thanks to Netgalley for the opportunity to read this ARC in return for an honest review. I look forward to more writing from this author

Excellent book! This is my second book my this author and it won’t be my last! Great character development and it kept me on the edge of my seat guessing who it was. This is about a woman who buys an old home with plans to turn it into a B&B. Shortly after she moves it, strange things start to happen. Who could it be? The realtor who wanted to buy the home? The contractor? Previous owners of the home? The lights randomly go out and she feels a strange vibe in the house. I don’t want to ruin or give any spoilers except to say…. Read this book! You won’t be disappointed. I stayed up way too late reading this book to get to the end. Thank you to net galley and the publisher for an ARC of this book.

Cassie Macreddin has moved from London into her new home, Hindon House in the Wiltshire countryside, leaving behind friends and family. Cassie hopes to begin to recover from the shocking death of her husband Richie, whilst putting into action the couples long term dream, to turn the place into a B and B.
But Cassie arrives with a monumental secret, one which haunts her during the day and through her dreams at night. Creepy Hindon House has secrets of its own and Cassie has a feeling that there is something wrong with the house. Whilst Cassie starts to unearth the houses past, she gradually starts to unravel both physically and mentally. Is somebody trying to harm her or is it all in her mind?
For me, this book was a bit of a slow starter. It took quite a long time to build up, but once it got going it had some great twists and the final part was compulsive reading. An enjoyable read.

The House Keeper by Valerie Keogh

A fabulous read that kept me guessing until the last chapter , throw in a few twists and I didn't want the book to finish.
Cassie has lost her husband in a car accident and as part of her recovery from the loss decided to follow her long ambition of running a bed and breakfast.
She discovers Hindon House and sets to renovate it to enable her to start her business.
She employs local builder Daniel Cody and they set to the task.
However all is not as it seems and the house has secrets and soon things begin to happen.

Cassie is about to live out her dream. She quits her corporate job and invests all she has into purchasing an old house in the countryside to open her very own B&B. When Cassie starts renovations, she realizes she may have bit off more than she can chew. She also feels like she is going crazy -- did she leave that light on? Why does she feel malicious vibes in the kitchen?
The House Keeper is a perfect read for spooky season! Reading it at night brought out the most nail-biting parts of this story. Keogh's characters are simultaneously likable and unlikable (something I really appreciate in reading characters). This book keeps you on the edge of your seat til the very end! (A satisfying ending, I may add). Her writing consistently takes you into Cassie's thoughts and you can truly feel the emotions and fear that she is feeling.
I truly enjoyed every page of this book. It's a quick read that you don't want to put down, except maybe to turn the lights on...

If you want an addictive and twisty read this is the book for you. Cassie lost her husband he died in a car accident.so she has decided to give up her job and do her dream of opening a bed and breakfast. And her dream house has come on the market. Hindon house very old and in need of a lot of work. Cassie gets the house. And gets a local contractor in Daniel Cody work begins. And she forms a relationship with an elderly lady. But things start to happen the electricity suddenly going off. now this book is very creepy. What secrets does this house have? And what are Cassie secrets to once you start you won't want to stop reading? so recommend all these authors books .

Another great read from Valerie Keogh that kept my attention from the first page. An utterly addictive and unputdownable psychological thriller that keeped me oreading into the night. Although the title didn't seem to fit in with the actual story, it all becomes clear towards the end.
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.

NEW BOOK ALERT

RELEASES OCTOBER 9th!

I really enjoyed this story. It is a captivating and chilling tale that combines elements of mystery and suspense. The story revolves around a woman named Cassie, who embarks on a journey to renovate an old house, only to discover later on that both she and the house are both harboring secrets.

This book will leave readers on the edge of their seats, eager to uncover the secrets hidden within the walls of the house.

One of the most intriguing aspects of the book is the introduction of a character who seems intent on keeping a disturbing secret buried within the property. Unbeknownst to Cassie, the character's sinister intentions become clear as they attempt to eliminate anyone who gets too close to unraveling the truth.

Prepare to be captivated by this haunting story of a young woman, an old house, and the buried secrets that refuse to stay hidden.

So honored to read this as an ARC through Netgalley!

The House Keeper by Valerie Keogh is the perfect pacey thriller, loaded with suspense and chills in every nook and cranny. I chomped at the bit to reach the end yet wasn't ready for it to be over. The pretty Wiltshire setting added a layer of haunting beauty to decrepit and grand Hindon House which oozes with secrets. But the reading experience doesn't stop with the story itself. Keogh consistently dazzles with clever writing and bendy twists which had me on edge in the best way possible. What a fun book to become completely immersed in, happily oblivious to real life for a few hours.

Cassie Macreddin is a widow after losing her husband in an accident. Rather than be mired down with memories and a mind numbing job she decides to buy a massive run-down property with beautiful bones to re-invent as a B&B. She tackles innumerable jobs immediately along with construction crews. Some locals are tense and suspicious in her presence, especially when they discover which property this newcomer has bought. Renovations come with special challenges and dangers which test Cassie's mettle. As the project continues, secrets surface. And, of course, there are crimes and red herrings galore, and as trite as it sounds, nothing is as it seems.

Searching for just enough thrillery vibes to hold you in their clutches, a sharp as tacks mystery and secrets darker and deeper than the deepest well? You need The House Keeper in your life. Valerie Keogh is an auto-author for me, no need to even read the synopsis.

My sincere thank you to Boldwood Books and NetGalley for providing me with a digital copy of this delectable novel. Ideal for any time, it seems particularly apt to read in October.

Thank you NetGalley and Boldwood Books for the chance to read the ARC and to review the Housekeeper, a fast-paced story. With short chapters and no time jumps the story flowed seamlessly. It was mysterious and suspenseful and filled with atmosphere and dread. It kept my interest from page 1 to the wonderful end. There are several heart pounding occurrences and great twists. Although the title is a bit misleading it all becomes clear at the end. This book is another home run for Valerie Keogh and I thoroughly enjoyed it and highly recommend it.