Cover Image: Gollitok: A Horror Novel

Gollitok: A Horror Novel

Huge thanks to Wicked House Publishing, Netgalley, and Andrew Najberg for an arc in exchange for an honest review.

The cover is awesome! I loved this book even though it had my anxiety ramped up so high. I caught myself holding my breath many times.

I was drawn in immediately and had to know what was going to happen next. This story was awesome!

I've been putting this off because I wanted to find the right words. This book is different, because it does so many things right to make it into its own kind of experience.
When I first started reading, the language seemed old-fashioned, but as you read, you learn that the setting is actually a solitary place in a post apocalyptic world. There is a lot of description, but nothing feels wasted. There is a continuous sense of dread, and then we start seeing the horrors.
I'm going to recommend this in my horror groups so I can keep talking about it!
Thanks to NetGalley for letting me read this

This book is about what happened at a former prison. A survey crew goes to Gollitok, the prison to find out what is still there. They knew that things had not gone well there, but they had no idea of the horrors that happened and would happen to them.
If you enjoy apocalyptic and post apocalyptic stories, you will enjoy this one.
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Woah, this was a great read! I know nothing about Andrew Najberg prior to reading this. I had received (and enjoyed!) a few other Wicked House ARCs so I was down to try this one.

I’m really glad I did. I agree with other reviewers it gives off some Annihilation vibes, but I preferred the action and sense of dread with Gollitok. There were some scenes that made my palms dampen with nerves. Overall I thought the book was wild in the best way.

And I was *extra* excited to get to the About the Author and discover he’s local to me. That never happens so I look forward to seeing more from Najberg in the future.

I received an advance review copy for free from NetGalley and Wicked House Publishing, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.

An atmospheric dystopian horror tale that runs rampant with paranoia, sinister impressions and utter dread. Gollitok focuses on the main character experience and descriptions of this prison island that has a merciless history. The rest of the characters are compelling though not completely likeable. It appears that everyone has their own orders and nobody is necessarily trustworthy. The slow burn breadcrumb reveals don't spoon feed the reader at all. You are in the for ride and must be patient for answers to be provided.

The authors note reveals that Gollitok is inspired by Goli Otok Prison, where his grandfather was interned. I had never heard of this Croatian political prison and find it to be a very unique setting for a post-nuclear war novel.

Read if you like:
- jellyfish
- islands with secrets
- being watched
- dread inducing atmosphere
- tight spaces
- dilapidated ruins
- Jeff VanderMeer's Annihilation

CW: gore, gun violence, blood, death, body horror

[Blurb goes here]

Varka, a government operative, is tasked with a mission: a journey to the desolate prison island known as "Gollitok," a forsaken place abandoned by society. His superiors provided scant information, mentioning that someone had witnessed a perplexing phenomenon on the island.

With little to go on, Varka assembles a team of investigators to venture into the enigmatic depths of "Gollitok" in search of answers. Regrettably, the answers they uncover are far from what he expected, surpassing even the darkest imaginings of his nightmares.

Within the confines of these pages, there is much to admire. While the story unmistakably unfolds in a post-apocalyptic setting, it is subtly alluded to, rather than explicitly stated, imbuing the narrative with an ominous atmosphere that keeps readers on edge.

The characters, each with distinct missions, relentlessly pursue their objectives, even resorting to the unthinkable, including betraying and eliminating their teammates.

Although I wouldn't categorize this as a traditional horror story, it encompasses all the elements of a suspenseful and spine-tingling tale.

Thank you for the advanced copy!

This is the first book i have read by this author. I love Horror novels and the more disturbing it is the better it is :)

This book started off great and didn't disappoint at all! This was a different kind of Horror book but oh my i am a huge fan now of this author. I will pick up anything that is written by this author what a fantastic book.

Fast paced, gore and great plot lines. Great writing.

Thanks NetGalley for this book couldnt be happier to review.

Thank you Wicked House Publishing, Andrew Nahberg and Netgalley for the ARC of this book!

This book started strong and didn't let up with action the whole time. This is quite different to my usual horror choices but I really liked stepping out of my comfort zone and Andrew has definitely converted me as a reader of his!

Fast paced, just the perfect amount of gore, excellent post apocalyptic plot and a super quick read!

A solid 4/5 for this one from me!

This was an amazing read from start to finish!! Full of anxiety and edge of the seat moments it's a great sci-fi/postapocalyptic horror!

When they assigned Varka to a routine survey of the Gollitok island he gladly accepted as he saw an opportunity for advancement and family redemption. But this job reveals to be anything but routine and Varka and his team will have to face so many horrors in the hope of making it through more or less alive.

I loved everything about this book, the setting, the postapocalyptic background, the flawed characters, the team dynamic and the so many dangers they face! Literally, since page 1 the reader understands that there's going to be trouble, but what, who or where from is not revealed. This creates an expectancy that together with the ambience of the story makes it impossible to not keep reading whilst waiting for the worse! It is even more compelling knowing that this island with a shady past really existed (and still does).

If you want to be immersed in a tense plot with action and horrors, this is the perfect read!

Thanks to the author, Netgalley and Wicked House Publishing for a copy and this is my honest review.

This was an eerie horror novel based on an actual prison island off the coast of Croatia. The time - forty years in the future after a worldwide nuclear holocaust. Pandemic to follow, anyone?

A small group of mixed government and military individuals is sent to Gollitok for varying reasons, it is found during the course of their grueling and deadly time on the island.

Great story, great imagery. Loved the dark atmosphere throughout. I highly recommend.

I received this book from Net Galley and Wicked House Publishing. All opinions are my own.

I wanted to "love" this book but only ended up liking it. I could see elements of it being a really good book. What I craved was to have my adrenaline pumping and goose bumps on my arms. What I was expecting was more gore and horror but got a more mysterious, slower build up. The author wrote it in this way as to mess with your mind. While I did have so many thoughts and the horror was scary; it just did not keep me on the edge of my seat in anticipation of what was to come next.

Although, thing I kind of struggled with was that I did not really connect with the characters. They were fine but it is not like I shed any tears for them when something bad happened. Yet, I still did find this to be a quick read. Overall, I did like this book and would read another by this author.

This is the first book I have read by Andrew Najberg. I really enjoyed this novel. It’s a slow burn, but in the most dark and sinister way. The world building is eerie and the author does a great job with his development. I recommend this book if your looking for a good mysterious island type of book.

Thank you NetGalley and Wicked House Publishing for allowing me to read this ARC in advance for my honest opinion.

This is the first horror book I have read, set in a post-nuclear Eastern Europe, and it will probably be your first as well. This book felt bleak and dreary from the beginning. This gave me major gothic horror vibes.

There is good action, complex characters, and mystery throughout the story. I kept feeling like I was watching Alien or a post-apocalyptic sci-fi movie while reading this. Maybe that's just me... I really liked the author's descriptions of the setting. I had no trouble picturing where the characters were at!

I think the pacing on this book was slow, but that may be something others enjoy about it. A lot of time was spent on some elements, while others were barely touched on. I had a hard time emotionally connecting with the characters as well. At times, I felt like I just didn't care what happened to them...

This was an original idea in an original setting that I think was done pretty well. I give this a 4⭐️ rating. I would recommend this if you're looking for a dreary, foreboding, sci-fi, post-apocalyptic, gothic horror story with some action and a lot of mystery.

A very descriptive read. The island had so many weird things going on. I could visualize the weird noise and strange happenings. Knowing the crew was sent to this island under false pretenses was definitely a way to add more suspense. I felt just as confused as the main character when he found out some very disturbing information. The whole team becomes in danger and the fight to survive was thrilling. I was ever so glad to reach the end of this novel just to end my own trepidation.

A post-apocalyptic sci-fi story with a hefty dollop of horror. Set on an island where there is an old, decommissioned prison famous for its extreme cruelty, this story has a dark and hopeless feeling right from the start and doesn't really let up all the way through the book. Very descriptive, maybe slightly too much at times as I felt that I could almost draw an intricate map of the island and its buildings with almost every footstep being described in such detail. I liked this book but I didn't love it as much as I hoped to.

Thank you to Wicked House Publishing and NetGalley for providing a review copy.
Where to even start with Gollitok? The prose is lush and beautiful - cinematic even. I had no trouble at all picturing the story as it unfolded. Speaking of the story unfolding, I feel like it is best read with a vague idea of what the plotline is and very little else. Let it surprise you as things start coming together. A very strong slow burn of a novel. 4.5 stars

I enjoyed this book. It’s funny how it was able to stick with me. I started reading this book got away from reading for quite some time yet I still had this book with me when I picked it back up to finish it.

Inspired in part by the real Goli Otok island that was the site of a prison for 40 years, this dystopian and sci-fi influenced horror novel brings to life the stark and barren landscape, and also the feeling of isolation and desperation, that people who were imprisoned on the island would have undoubtedly experienced. While it did immerse me in the surroundings, I found it difficult to engage with the characters. On the surface, the characters feel like caricatures. The inquisitive scientist, the hardened soldier, the out of his depth government official. I've seen the types before. But nothing about them really grabbed me. I think it's that their personalities over swallowed up by the setting of the island. The island is the biggest thing in this book, in size and and character, for I would say the island is a character in its own right.

I thought the book played out much like a computer game, and I would even say this could be classed as GameLit fiction in a way. The protagonist, Hammel Varka, seems to develop in confidence and ability as the book progresses, and much of the action feels like quests and missions. There is a computer game structure to this novel. While reading this, I did wonder about the overall purpose of the plot. There's hints of many concepts. The horrors of war, the ethics of science, the chasm between those in power and those without, and maybe even simply a good versus evil conflict. Some or all? I'm not sure of the intent.

Full of adventure and danger, imaginative horror, and a knack for chilling description, Andrew Najberg has created a speculative horror that I could see play out well on a big screen as a movie or TV series. There are visuals here that would do well in that medium.

Thank you to the author, the publisher, and to Netgalley for providing a free copy of this book for an honest review. All comments are my own.

Entertaining horror book that was a quick and creepy read. Once you get into the story it is quite suspenseful and the whole exploration aspect creates a sense of tension that carries you through the story pretty rapidly. I enjoyed it immensely.

The premise of this book interested me immediately. A team sent to survey an abandoned island prison in a harsh post-apocalyptic world? Sign me up! This book did not disappoint. From the very beginning, there is a sense of "wrongness" and it only continues to increase. Who is trustworthy? What is really going on Gollitok? Well written and fast paced. I will definitely be checking out more by Najberg.