Cover Image: Nina the Starry Bride 1

Nina the Starry Bride 1

Thank you for allowing me the advanced readers copy of this manga! I found this manga hilarious at times, and somewhat romantic in others. Can't wait to read the rest of this series soon!

I’ve been into contemporary stories lately so, when this Fantasy manga caught my attention, I was glad to get a change of scenery.

Nina The Starry Bride is—in my opinion—a heartbreaking story at heart. From the very beginning, we see what kind of life Nina is living, and you can’t help but hoping the future has something better in store for her. However, is impersonating a dead princess truly any better? Only time will tell.

I really enjoyed this first volume, the story is quite captivating—I couldn’t help feeling sad for Nina—and the characters have interesting personalities.

Summary:

Nina has had a rough (horrible) life. She and her friends all lost their families, so they did the best they could to survive on the streets. Unfortunately, that sort of life is tough on children, so there was more loss on the way.

In an act of desperation, Nina's own brother sells her into slavery. As it turns out, the guy who bought her needs her for a specific reason – she needs to replace the recently (and secretly) deceased princess.

Review:

I think we've all read a series (or ten) about commoners secretly becoming royalty, but I still couldn't resist giving Nina the Starry Bride Vol. 1 a try. While this series does lean on many tropes, it has a certain level of charm that makes it feel unique.

The first volume goes a long way in establishing the plot and core characters. We have Nina (now Alisha), her two half-brothers (pretend?), the king, the queen (a potential problem), etc. Each character seems to bring their own plot, which is nice. It means there's a lot of potential going forward.

At the end of the day, all I want to do is protect little Nina. She's so young and has gone through so much. They designed her character well because she's very earnest and believable. She's the perfect protagonist.

Nina the Starry Bride Vol. 1 is a solid start to the series, and you better believe that I'll be reading the rest of it!

Highlights:
Manga – Shojo
Romantic Fantasy
Secrets & Royalty

Will I continue the series? Yes

Thanks to Kodansha Comics and #NetGalley for making this book available for review. All opinions expressed are my own.

You Can Also Find Me On:
Quirky Cat's Fat Stacks | Quirky Cat's Comics | The Book Review Crew | Monkeys Fighting Robots | Storygraph | Bookhype | Bookstagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Reedsy

I enjoyed this read. The world building was interesting and the characters were well built. I am excited to see how the story progresses. I would want to learn more in the future which I think is a good thing for this book because there are defiantly manga i've started and not want to continue after book 1 or 2 but I do not think book 2 will let me down. I think the emotions and actions of each character were well planned out. I would recommend this to my manga reading friends for sure.

Young orphaned girl that lives in poverty gets a chance at a new life as a princess' double. It's not the most unique trope, but still makes for a fun read. The tone of the story at the start is dark and serious, but it actually quite quickly and abruptly shifts into something more light, cute and goofy. I'm willing to read a few more volumes before I form my opinion on this series since they are short and an be read really quickly. Judging the series only from this first volume though I found all of the the characters lacking in personality department and the plot was barely there. But the illustrations were really cute!

Hmmm... I won't do a full literary review for this book, especially because I DNFed a small percentage of it read. Indeed, the images were attractive, the reading was easy and fluid, but the story was not interesting. The MC was classic “powerless young girl who easily falls under the prince’s spell”, baaah not super interesting. However, thank you to NetGalley for allowing me to discover this book!

4.5/5

I have to say I really liked this one.
It's set in a fantasy world probably in a sort of past where this young girl who has almost lost everything and everyone finds herself thrown all of a sudden into a world of luxury and princes and castles.

I really liked the premise of the series, and especially how it was developed throughout.
Our main protogonist feels a lot of different emotions, and the author was able to deliver all of them.
The story starts when Nina has lost amost everything, she's living basically like a boy surrounded by only a few people who are left in her life after the plague took almost everyone. All of a sudden she finds herself taken by some misterious people, dragging her to this sort of court, where from now on has to learn to become a princess. She's in fact the only person they were able to find with the same eyes as the lost princess, who apparently had a terrible accident.

Her life is everything but easy, she has to adapt to this new life, know all the new people there and especially live without the ones she always loved and took care of her for so long.

In this first volume there's a lot going on, but the art is very clear and super pretty to look at and the story seems already very intriguing and very interesting.

Thank you to NetGalley and Rikachi for letting me read this!
This was such a cute and fun manga. It reminded me of Rei Toma’s works, which I absolutely love. I will definitely be reading more of this series and probably look to adding them to my physical manga collection. 🤭

I am not much of a shoujo manga reader, which is why I went into this with an open mind. And I'm really glad I did, because I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would!

The first volume pretty much just sets up the world, characters and the main plot, but was an enjoyable read all the same.
Nina lives as an orphan, when she is approached by the prince. She is to impersonate the recently deceased princess not just before the world, but even the king and queen, who don't know of the princess' death.

I had a lot of fun reading this and very much enjoyed the characters and their interactions. And with the end of the volume setting up the first conflict, it makes you want to pick up the next volume immediately!

Special thanks to NetGalley and Kodansha Comics for sharing this ARC with me in exchange for my honest review.

It's hard to give an opinion about volume 1 of this manga, mostly because there was a limited amount of content. Oftentimes the first (couple of) volume(s) of a manga are world-building and setting up the story. That was the case for Nina the Starry Bride as well.
There are some things that I can give an opinion on: the art-style is stunning. Depending on the genre characters may look different of course, but within a genre, there are also a lot of differences between manga artists. I really like Rikachi's style. Although not much is happening storywise, the story that is alluded to is very compelling. I will be keeping an eye on further releases.

I chose this mostly based on the cute cover and was surprised how much I enjoyed the story. Nina is a fun character and I really like the world building so far. The art work is gorgeous and I'm looking forward to reading the next volumes.

Adorable characters and beautiful artwork! I was hooked on the story almost straightaway and didn't stop reading until I finished the book in one go. Definitely continuing with the series!
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the review copy.

I loved this book, it gave me everything I wanted as a reader and more. I am a sucker for a cover and fell in love with the storyline and characters. Well written and kept me engaged :)

This manga was just ok. I found myself mostly bored and frustrated at some redundancies. Why explain again in a later chapter what happened in the first chapter? I can see in a subsequent volume, but not the same book.

This manga is the reason why I love manga, feelings do start to develop, but it stars much more as gratitude, Nina is a brave girl that has big shoes she needs to fill in. the drawing is gorgeous, thank you for letting me read it, I am sorry I took so long to deliver a review, life kind of happened and I wasn't able to read and review it before.

Thank you Netgalley and Kodansha Comics for the free ARC and this is my honest opinion.

thank you to netgalley for the advanced reading copy. I really enjoyed this and will be getting copies for my shop.

Thank you NetGalley and publishers for the opportunity to read and review! This manga was a cute read, I am still trying to figure out the characters' ages, because Nina looks quite young while Azure looks close to adulthood if not already an adult and I can see a romance brewing which if Azure is an adult then I am personally no longer going to read the rest of the series but for the time being I am enjoying it and should there be an ebook sale on it I will continue with the next book.

When the Astral Princess-Priestess dies three months before her wedding to prince from a neighboring country, Prince Azure desperately concocts a plan to find a replacement. He plucks Nina, a thief, from the streets to serve as her double and promises to teach her court etiquette.

However, if their ruse fails, they risk getting beheaded and a diplomatic disaster.

Nina the Starry Bride, Vol. 1 by Rikachi weaves a captivating fantasy romance filled with danger and court intrigue.

For better or worse, the story itself leans into a lot of familiar fantasy tropes--i.e. rags-to-riches, Prince(ss) and the Pauper, but the gorgeous artwork and compelling characters help it stand out from the crowd.

Nina really is an enjoyable MC so far—she’s kind-hardened and strong-willed, willing to stand up for herself and others, and I like how non-passive she is.

It also looks like there's a budding romance between Prince Azure (who is pretending to be her half-brother) and Nina, so I detect a forbidden romance and a love triangle in the future and I’m curious to see where the rest of the story goes.

The story starts off with the death of Nina's childhood friend, and Nina being sold off to the second prince of the Fortuna kingdom. Azure means to use Nina to replace the dead princess-priestess Alisha, who is engaged to the crown prince of Galgada.

Both Nina, and Azure are loveable characters. Although they might have started off with a horrible first impression, I like how the two of them defend one another throughout the story.

Overall, I really enjoyed the story, the art, and I look forward to Nina's and Azure's development.

I would recommend this manga for fans of:
Snow White with the Red Hair
Sugar Apple Fairytale
Dawn of the Arcana

Thank you NetGalley and Kodansha Comics for the opportunity to read this ARC !

This manga was really cute. I enjoyed the characters and the story very much. If you are looking for a quick read with great pictures and story line, this is a good one.