Cover Image: Otherworldly Izakaya Nobu Volume 1

Otherworldly Izakaya Nobu Volume 1

I want to thank Netgalley for an advanced ARC of this manga , all opinions are my own.

This was a very cute read and made me laugh at times because everyone was so mesmerised by the food that it over ran them hehe lol, I would continue with this series because it's fun and engaging to keep u interested from page to page.

I give this a 3.5 stars was fun. 😊

I think this is a wonderful slice of life manga focused around food. Perfect for fans of "Ms. Koizumi Loves Ramen Noodles" or "Today's Menu for the Emiya Family," or if you liked "Food Wars" but want something a little calmer and more wholesome. I think it is abundantly clear the creator loves food, and this is displayed on every page. The central characters, the chef and....waitress? Hostess? The woman on the cover, basically, are wonderful, even if we do not get much of them with just themselves.

I also really enjoyed the display of how food, especially good food, can impact a person and their day. The only real downside is this book made me very hungry.

I did have some problem with the pages being quite blurry, I'm not sure if that is an issue all the digital issues have or just the one I was provided. I do wish to buy this book, but I will defenitly be checking to see if the art is this blurry in the print editions.

When two moons rise in the sky, two different worlds collide for an evening of fine dining and good company.
This slice-of-life manga is heartwarming with the bonus of being educational. Readers unfamiliar with the German words and Japanese food will find themselves finishing the book with a whole new vocabulary and practice in empathy. The story opens with two low-ranking soldiers after a long day and looking for a place to take the edge off. After discovering an odd door, they walk through and find themselves in a modern, Japanese-style pub.
While the pub is filled with modern-day amenities readers will be familiar with, such as glass cups and hot plates, the characters are amazed by these unfamiliar items. Something simple like the soldiers being wary of a glassware allows the readers to see the familiar from an unfamiliar perspective. Learning to view something outside of oneself is valuable for practicing empathy. Overall, the book has many layers of teachable moments.
From a technical point of view, there is a variety of language and exposure to Japanese culture. Readers are introduced to German words, most of them food-related, along with Japanese cuisine. When an unfamiliar vocabulary term is introduced in the story, the author includes a footnote containing a brief definition. At the back of the manga is a “Menu”, which collects all the German and Japanese terms into one place, along with pronunciation guides and definitions. These inclusions help to educate the reader without disrupting the flow of the story.
Readers who enjoy the “Delicious in Dungeon” manga series will fall in love with this quaint pub and its colorful characters. No matter the reason for picking up the book, readers will finish with a new education and appreciation for the many characters visiting the pub.

DNF @ page 10

This one just wasn't my jam and that's okay. Not everything we attempt will be for us.

Thank you so much Netgalley for a digital copy of the manga in exchange for an honest review.
If you like cozy vibes, stories about food, and just constantly changing people mind, this is the story for you.
This is a beautifully illustrated story about a hole in the wall izakaya restaurant in a fictitious German village. Due, to each chapter being told from the different perspectives of each new patron there is no set main character which adds an interesting and fresh touch to the story. we get to spend a short moment of time witch each of the characters and learning their preferences and what is going on in their lives and seeing the impact food has on them before and after a great meal. There is one chapter that felt straight out of Ratatouille with a cruel and harsh man who has sealed off his joyous side from youth and is bring back to his roots with a pasta dish. He changes everything and starts over new and becomes a generous person.
This story was just a really warm read that makes you want a comforting warm meal and to be adventurous the next time you eat out because you might discover something exceptional.

I am biased because I started with the live-action adaptation of the light novel this is based on, and I have also read the first volume of the light novel series. So I know all the characters, the stories and I know how what at the beginning seems quite random people going to a Japanese pub (izakaya) to have something at the end of the day develops little by little into its own world, with lots of stories and characters that are related to each other, and more depth than a 'food/other world' story should.

So reading this first volume of the manga adaptation I feel like watching the show or reading the light novel: it is enjoyable enough, the characters are nice, and the little stories are entertaining, but not much else. But I know what is to come, so I know I have to first get introduced to the world, before getting to discover its depth. That makes it more interesting for me than if I have come to the story without background.

The art is very nice, even if sometimes the drawings of people enjoying their food may seem too much, too over the top..

I would recommend to give this a try, particularly as the story becomes more interesting the more we get to know the characters.

So, I don't really understand the appeal of reading these detailed depictions of food and the random characters you have no attachment to rhapsodizing over eating it. It can be an atmospheric enhancement to a story, as well as a plot device (see Kakuriyo, which does both of these things well). But as the entire plot, I just don't get it. (Then again, I don't understand people who pay to watch other people eat, and I have heard that exists)

The other thing that bothered me was the proliferation of untranslated words, mostly Japanese and German, that weren't translated in the main text but rather footnotes.

The art was nice.

Recommended if you like that sort of thing, but not if you want an actual story.

Its a really heart warming slice of life manga with food. The characters are sweet and all the food drawn looks delicious and lifelike.

Thank you NetGalley for the ARC.

If you want a detailed story, this isn't the manga for you. But if you enjoy food and the happiness it can bring to others, then pick this up! An episodic manga focused on a fictional German town with a Japanese style pub highlights the joy food can bring. It's fun to see how the different character react to the different types of Japanese dishes.

And whatsontap made me chuckle every chapter!

This graphic novel was a lot of fun to read. I had never read anything by this author before, but I will definitely be looking out for more of their works in the future. I can't wait to add it to my library's collection.

This slice of life manga will resonate with fans of A Restaurant to Another World. Focused on a Japanese resturant in a fictional historical German city, residents come to enjoy a meal with ingrediants and receipies foriegn to them, yet none leae unsatisfied.

This is very easy to read story, both cozy and charming. It is a great interduction to this series, but I do hope we start to get more background to the chef and why the restaurant is here in future volumes.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the review copy.

This is a well drawn and interesting food manga story.

The reader is taken to a Japanese style pub called "Nobu" which exists in the medieval European city of Eiteriach. We are not told how the pub arrived in this medieval city or what the customers think about this strange pub. All we know is that the food tastes magical and this magic seeps into the lives of those people who visit this pub.

Sometimes food manga stories can be quite boring but this was is very engaging and the artwork is great. The reader is drawn in and is left wanting to visit the pub themselves and taste the food that is offered.

Copy provided via Netgalley in exchange for an unbiased review.

I haven't read much manga for years and forgot that you need to read it right to left. Once I got back I to the hang of it I found this was a cute graphic book. It has some very nice art but not much of a plot. Cute and pleasant quick read though, enjoyable enough. Suitable for children.

Oh, this is SO charming. It's just little vignettes about a time-travelling izakaya which is currently located in a small medieval german town, and shows the locals discovering new food and, sometimes, themselves. Make sure that you're reading when you can go out to an izakaya after, though! You WILL get hungry!

I thank NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with an advanced reader copy of this book in return for an honest review

This was an adorable manga mostly about Japanese food. This pub is somehow connected to Germany so the the Germans aren't well known with the Japanese dishes. Each chapter follows different characters (only the staff from the restaurant is in every chapter) and they discover sashimi and noodles and more. The food helps them find joy and happiness and warmth in their lives which was cute.

However, while it was enjoyable it's also forgettable. I wish we had some more backstory about how this pub appeared randomly and more. I think this might be explained in the other volumes but for now I don't feel the need to continue with the series.

Otherworldly Izakaya Nobu (Volume 1) is a manga style graphic novel written by Natsuya Semikawa, with art by Virginia Nitouhei. A Japanese style pub called “Nobu” exists in a back alley of the fictional medieval European city of Eiteriach. Its customers? A pair of slacker soldiers, a spoiled heiress, an uptight tax collector, and more. When the citizens of this strange world sit down to enjoy some unfamiliar Japanese cuisine, their troubles simply melt away. The curtain rises on this otherworldly eatery and the gourmet fantasy about to unfold within!

Otherworldly Izakaya Nobu is a well drawn and fun read. It is light hearted and quick to read. There was a good variety of characters, and I liked the undercurrent of mystery. Just where did this shop come from, and how do they get their ingredients? There is good character description and development for the each member of the rotating cast. We get deep insights into a cast of very different characters, more than you might expect in such short chapters. I look forward to more from this series, because I want to know more about the pub, its two person staff, and its regular patrons.

The food descriptions made me hungry. This book would benefit from color pages to give the food more substance. I felt it was too lite on the story. There isn’t much of it. It’s sort of like Ratatouille without the rats and the plot. Just customers coming in for food. Cute little vignettes, but nothing cumulative.

IRASSHAIMASE!

I really like manga theme like this! Cooking and delicious food! All character really enjoy the food! The karagae and chicken nanba make me droll too, i hope there is next volume here.

Thank you to NetGalley for provide this book, it is pleasure to review this book.

#IzakayaNobuOtherworlly #IzakayaNobu #NatsuyaSemikawa #VirginiaNitouhei #UdonEntertainment #Manga #NetGalley #ARC

3 stars

A quick read with great art. The manga is very episodic without any real overarching plot that isn’t showing off good looking food. Wish we could of gotten to know the chief and Shinobu at all as they feel like background characters in their own restaurant.

A wonderful, quick, and easy read! Loved it! The art style is beautiful and the characters are so great! Highly recommend this to any manga lovers!