Cover Image: Watch Where They Hide

Watch Where They Hide

My first Tamron Hall book but not my last. I loved the characters, storyline and pace. This was very well written. I struggled with it feeling disjointed as the author seemed to keep reminding the reader that the main character was black. It didn’t add to the book but felt very much unrelated to the story. Like I said, I really enjoyed the writing so I’ll be reading Ms. Hall again.
Thank you NetGalley, Tamron Hall and Harper Collins Publishers/William Morrow Books for the opportunity to read and review this book.

Watch Where They Hide is the second book in the Jordan Manning series. Jordan, whose success in helping the police in the first book has gotten her more attention, agrees to help a woman who begs her to find out what happened to her sister. Shelly tells Jordan that her sister would never just disappear and leave her kids behind. The more Jordan looks into the case the more questions she has. Why haven't the police dug deeper into the case? Did Marla just leave her life behind? Tamron Hall does a good job of writing about the realities of being a reporter, which makes Jordan a more enjoyable character. The climax of the story was lacking for me, but the overall writing and character development was solid. Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC.

Just like most people, I know who Tamron Hall is. What I didn't know, was that, besides being a wonderful journalist, host (and you know, a badass), she's also a wonderful writer as well. I enjoyed every moment reading this book, the intricated and very well elaborated plot, each revelation and the main character, If there's another book in the Jordan Manning series, I can't wait to read it.

Watch Where They Hide is the second book in the Jordan Manning series. I did not know this was part of a series when I requested it. While reading it I did not feel as if I was missing anything from not having read the first book in the series. In my opinion this can be a stand-alone read.

Marla, a wife and mother has gone missing but based on who you talked to was she missing, murdered or just tired of being a mom. When Marla's sister gets the feeling no one cares about her missing sister she reaches out to Jordan Manning, a reporter in Chicago who is known as "Justice Jordan." Jordan agrees to talk to her but makes no promises about whether she will follow through with an investigation. One conversation leads to a clue about Marla and then another and another.

There are plenty of shady characters to choose from, but Jordan soon follows a suspect that may finally lead to the truth about what happened to Marla.

This story has many twists and turns that take the reader on a wild ride. The suspects were a motley group that were very believable. Jordan seems to be more of an investigative reporter than an anchor on a news desk. This makes her more interesting as we see her pull at threads in order to get to the truth. I thought this was well written and the characters were interesting. I am hoping there will be more books to read in this series.

This is the second book in the Jordan Manning series. I do believe that if you didn't read the first, you'd have no problem reading this as a standalone.

I really enjoyed the first book. This was a good read but admittedly, I enjoyed the first much more. This was an entertaining read which I didn't love nor hate. A solid 3 stars out of 5.

Jordan receives a call from Shelly Biltmore with news that her sister Marla is missing. Marla was in the middle of many life changes including a custody battle. She had just moved back home. Jordan is a hot mess and not the most enjoyable character. Jordan meets Nate in this book and Nate is man who can handle Jordan but a good guy.

Jordan is on a quest to uncover the truth about her sister.

I received an ARC in exchange for my honest review. Thanks to Netgalley and William and Morrow publishing.

I love watching Tamrom Hall on TV so I was excited to read this thriller by her!

Shelley turns to TV journalist Jordan when her sister goes missing. Jordan feels obligated to help with the case after solving previous cases. This was an interesting format since it was told from the perspective of a reporter. I loved Jordan’s character and really empathized with Shelly and Marla. This is book #2 in the series but it can be read as a standalone.

Tamron Hall did a great job building a tale of suspense and keeping the reader interested in the story.

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for this ARC!

A missing woman in a custody battle and it seems to her sister that no one, including the police are looking for her. So the sister contacts Chicago investigative reporter Justice Jordan. Jordan is leery about looking into the case as it seems no one she talks to is telling the whole truth about what they know, including the sister who contacted her, but she keeps digging. And what Jordan finds is nothing at all what she or anyone expected.
A read that keeps you reading till the end.

BIPOC Mystery Thriller set in Chicago 2009 following a TV journalist who looks into the case of a missing mother and discovers secrets and scandals that put her own life in grave danger.

4/5 stars: This is the second entry in Hall's Jordan Manning series, which is a Mystery Thriller that takes place in 2009 Chicago and follows a Black TV crime reporter in 2009 Chicago. With plenty of twists and turns, Hall's written a gripping tale that will leave you on the edge of your seat until the final page. Additionally, Hall's writing and character work is stellar; the characters are well-rounded and complex while remaining likable. I appreciate the fact that Hall has set the book in 2009, with it being on the cusp of social media, true crime and trials on TV it puts Jordan right in the middle on the action. It's great to be back with Jordan, who's tough, hard working and determined to prove herself in her career. Hall's experience as a TV journalist shines through and make's Jordan so much more realistic. Hall touches on some sensitive topics, so take care and check the CWs. While you could read this as a stand-alone, you'll gain so much more by reading this series from the beginning; so be sure to pick up book one, As the Wicked Watch.

I received this eARC thanks to William Morrow in exchange for an honest review. Publishing dates are subject to change.

Thank you to NetGalley and William Morrow Publishing for allowing me to read this book by Tamron Hall. Watch Where They Hide is the story of Justice Jordan a investigative reporter. This book is number 2 in the series - in the first one she apparently solved a case with a serial killer. In this book Jordan is looking for her next big investigation while struggling with her singleness as her bestie is getting married. Jordan comes to work to find a woman has called several times but the messages are all unclear. Flash forward a few days later and Shelly the mystery caller appears at her work and is begging her for help to find her sister Marla. Shelly claims the police aren't taking it seriously and she knows that something has happened to her. Jordan is hesitant to take on the case but as she starts to dig she becomes more and more intrigued and decides to take on the case. Overall, it was a pretty good mystery. Its a short and easy read.

I liked this one it reads like a Dateline show. It was a good read overall and presented strong female characters and a good plot but felt it needed something at the beginning to draw you in but overall a good read

Oh man I really wanted to like this book. The premise sounded good, but with no real sense of urgency or thrilling moments the story fell flat.
I think part of that could be Chalked up to this being a series. The author seemed more set on building up the character of Jordan than the actual murder mystery. I think a little more excitement and focus on the mystery would have helped move the book along.
I do think Jordan as a character and the series could be great in the long run.
I would say 2.5/5 stars for me. Rounded up to 3 for goodreads.

This was a very fun follow up to Hall's first book. I love that "Justice Jordan" is always sympathetic towards women victims and doesn't play into the victim blaming that can often occur in serial killer/murder thrillers. I also appreciated the nuanced characters, and the lack of good vs bad, but rather complicated people doing complicated things. I will definitely read any future books in this series!

We are told that you should write about something you know and that is exactly what Tamron Hall has done. Her novel concerns a black female TV journalist in Chicago investigating the disappearance of a woman. The story is interesting and the characters are well developed. It is ironic that the TV journalist is able to accomplish more than police departments in several states.
I thank NetGalley and William Morrow for the opportunity to read and review this intriguing novel prior to publication.

Tamron Hall, does it again

I mean, did we expect anything else?

I completely fan-girled out last year after reading “As The Wicked Watch". I fell in love with Tamron Hall’s writing style. Right then, I knew that Hall, would join my list of "auto buy authors" .

I love the way Hall throws us right into the chaos. The suspense is present early on. The character development is on point and each one of the characters come to life between the pages. The twist got my pulse racing and left me in pure shock.

This is a MUST READ for everyone who loves thrillers, suspense, and even drama.

Watch Where They Hide is out March 12, 2024, you know what to do! Head on over to your favorite bookstore and pre-order this book!

Teaser :

After dropping her child off at preschool, Marla Hancock, a stay-at-home mother, disappears. She had recently left her verbally abusive husband in rural Indiana and moved in with her sister, Shelly, who simply can’t believe that her sister would ever willingly vanish without her children. But with limited support from the town’s police department or media resources, Shelly fears that Marla’s disappearance won’t get the attention it deserves, or worse, will go unsolved. So, several weeks after filing a missing person’s report, she reaches out to TV journalist Jordan Manning for help.

After her investigative and reporting skills helped solve multiple murders, Jordan Manning’s career in the newsroom is on the rise. She has gained a reputation as more than your typical news reporter: a “fixer” with a vigilante edge, dogged and undeterred to seek the truth. But even with this new status, Jordan still feels pressure to prove herself as a young Black professional. When Shelly reaches out, she feels compelled to do all she can to find Marla.

Jordan’s search twists and turns in ways she could never have imagined, illuminating scandals and secrets that place her own life in grave danger.

Watch Where They Hide by Tamron Hall is the second novel in the Jordan Manning series, but it can be read as a standalone book. Jordan Manning is a detective who will stop at nothing to get justice for victims whose stories are too often ignored by the media and the law.

A missing woman, Marla, was a no-show in picking up her kids from school. Her sister is desperate to find her and get the police to take her seriously that Marla would not just walk away from her children. Marla had been struggling to make it on her own; she was broke, unemployed, and in the middle of a custody battle when she moved back to her hometown.

Watch Where They Hide is such a great book and story. This complicated love triangle had many twists and turns. I was surprised at some revelations and outcomes which I didn’t see coming.

I cannot wait for more in this series. Watch Where They Hide by Tamron Hall has good writing, good storytelling, a good plot, and well-developed characters.

#WatchWhereTheyHide #NetGalley @WmMorrowBooks

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for this eARC.

I LOVED this mystery! The characters, writing, and the plot quickly grabbed (and kept) my interest.

Jordan Manning is a well-developed main character, I am downloading the first novel on this series immediately after I post this

Interesting side issues include race, celebrity, and the politics of being an investigative reporter.

Recommend for the Dublin Murder squad fans, and for readers who enjoy intriguing murder mysteries unsullied by copious amounts of "romance" or detailed sexual escapades

A very engaging mystery, very similar to a police procedural although the main character is a reporter.

Looking forward to many more from this talented and entertaining author.

From the start this book lacked that “pull you in”
from the beginning. It was very slow going and I could really get into it.

In "Watch Where They Hide," Jordan Manning, a journalist with a knack for entangling herself in police investigations, is juggling her newsroom responsibilities and personal life when she, receives a distressing call from Shelly Biltmore concerning her missing sister, Marla Hancock. Marla, a stay-at-home mother seeking independence, has mysteriously disappeared, prompting Shelly to seek Jordan's assistance.

Jordan Manning remains a familiar yet frustrating protagonist, maintaining her self-absorbed and reckless tendencies from previous installments. A new addition to the story is Nate Fisher, a patient love interest who contends with Jordan's challenging demeanor. Despite his admirable qualities, Jordan's reluctance to reciprocate complicates their dynamic.

Regrettably, "Watch Where They Hide" failed to capture my enjoyment. The plot, seemingly disjointed, introduces an early murder that adds little substance to the main storyline. Jordan's ego-driven actions, coupled with unrealistic scenarios and an apparent lack of police competence, detract from the overall believability of the narrative.

Jordan's disregard for personal commitments, including her role as a maid of honor and friendship, further emphasizes her self-centered nature. Her ego was loud in this installment, contributing to an unappealing character dynamic. Jordan is a hard character to like, making it hard to root for her.

Tamron's work as a journalist and story telling ability comes through loud and clear in this tale. A fast pasted story with twists and turns that does not disappoint. I will now go back and read her prior booked and hooked for good

I realized after I was approved to read this book by NetGalley and the publisher that it was the 2nd in the series. I felt that from the beginning as it felt like there should have been more history explained. It was a pretty slow book with little suspense but an interesting end. if I’d read the first book maybe I would have liked this book better.