Cover Image: The Last Dragon King

The Last Dragon King

Thank you NetGalley for sending me a copy of The Last Dragon King. I really enjoyed Arwen as a character. I liked her conversation and her interactions with the dragon king. I liked the romance between the two of them and the story was very nice.

A lot has happened in 358 pages so I can say for sure that this is packed with action. In each chapter something is going on and somehow you don't get bored.

When the dragon king comes to Arwen’s village looking for someone with enough magic to carry his child, she thinks she has nothing to worry about! Until her mother tells her differently.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from NetGalley. The opinions expressed in this review are completely my own. Thank you for allowing me to review

While the premise and world building of this book is quite good the overall 'not like other girl' vibes the main character Arwen constantly oozes is just off putting.

Single POV, War Time, Death, Betrayal. Forced Proximity

This book was actually released in 2022 and it is the first of a 4 book series. It was very predictable as it had many of the classic fantasy tropes. - "I'm not like other girls", enemies to lovers, secret/unknown magical powers, etc. The story moved too quickly, so I did not feel like I knew Drae or Arwen well enough to be too invested in their story. I don't know the full breadth of either of powers, and I felt there could have been more conflict regarding her powers, not just about her potential inability to provide Drae a child. The word womb was used way too many times.

I would not spend money to finish this series, but if I happen to come upon them, I would read more.

2.5/5 stars

I really wanted to love this book. The beginning really had me. I loved the fml and her backstory. It then started to give a bad wattpad story. The way that child bearing was talked about was very weird to me and was so important. The relationship was very frustrating in so many ways. I did feel like somethings and decisions were made fast. After a while she started rot feel like a pick me. The purity was also very weird. This book just wasn’t my cup of tea.

Thank you Bloom Books and Leia Stone for a digital e-ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Thank you NetGalley and author Leia Stone for the copy in exchange for an honest review.

"The Dragon King is looking for a wife.

This news throws the women in my village into a tizzy. The king will be sending out the royal guard to bring women of childbearing age to his castle in Jade City.

There is only one requirement: the woman must carry enough magic to produce an heir for him.

I’m a watered-down human with a mere ten percent dragon magic lineage, I know I won’t be chosen, but for some reason the magic sniffers command me to present myself to the king as a possible wife.

I’m ready to go to Jade City until my mother tells me a terrifying secret. A secret that could get me killed… by the king himself."

This is the first book in the Kings Of Avalier series. I love reading book.

While this was a quick read, it was not for me. It started off promising. I liked Arwen and her background. I had assumptions about where the plot would go, and for the most part I was right and I was down to be okay with it but boy did the plot lose me. I get that this is a standalone book so they had to fall in love rather quick but it didn’t even feel plausible. The chemistry really wasn’t there for me so it all just didn’t click for me. I was hopeful that there may be some epic battle scenes or drama to bring it back for me, but even that was lacking.

**Potential spoiler below**

I found the focus on purity and child bearing to be very off putting. And for them to be so in love so quick and have the whole side plot of not being able to have kids together (which the solution should have been obvious but they got there eventually) to be very annoying.

Thank you to the publisher for the e-arc

thank you to netgalley for the advanced reading copy. I really enjoyed this and will be getting copies for my shop.

There’s one word that caught my eye: dragon! I am living in my dragon book era right now! This book was phenomenal!

This book started out so strong but became less and less appealing the more I read on. On one hand, this was a super quick and easy read which I knocked out in a couple of days, on the other hand I was left feeling somewhat confused after finishing the book. The story had a lot of potential but the characters and the pacing left quite a bit to be desired. It seemed that a dramatic event was happening out of the blue far too often and they were rarely ever fully fleshed out. Despite my criticisms I did really enjoy reading this book, I just wish that more time was spent delving into the characters and details of the events of the story. Sometimes it felt like I was simply being told what happened rather than really being drawn into the story and being shown what happened (if that makes any sense haha). I think this series definitely has potential!

Série de Leia Stone rééditée par Bloom Books et qui sort aujourd’hui en France, j’ai passé un bon moment avec ce livre mais il y a quelques bémols

Nous allons suivre Arwen, une jeune chasseuse qui aide sa mère et sa sœur à survivre dans un petit village reculée du royaume mais un jour, le roi exige que toutes les jeunes femmes du royaume qui ont un minimum de magie le rejoignent à Jade City pour qu’il puisse choisir une épouse… Arwen va tout faire pour éviter cette situation mais c’est surtout qu’un lourd secret se cache dans son passé…

Le livre se lit très rapidement, on passe un bon moment avec les personnages, l’intrigue avait un potentiel de dingue mais j’ai trouvé que cela manquait d’explications, certains éléments de l’histoire étaient survolés… Idem pour la résolution de l’intrigue, ça me laisse sur ma faim… Les personnages sont sympas même si certaines de leurs réactions m’ont un peu exaspérés…

En bref, un roman sympa mais qui souffre de beaucoup de bémols…

This one started off so strong! I’m was intrigued and pulled right it. And then I don’t know where it started to go wrong but unfortunately it did.

I loved the action and a bit of suspense! I didn’t really like the romance plot though. It was good at first, but then it was frustrating and a little repetitive and yeah. Just lacked what I look for in that area.

The way it ends though does have me intrigued. It was a quite easy read though and for the most part enjoyable!

Thank you NetGalley for the ARC of The Last Dragon King (Kings of Avalier, #1) by Leia Stone.

I was surprised by how much I liked this book. It had Bachelor and Fourth Wing vibes. I love that the main character is a hunter and fighter with morals. That the King snuck into her village to access the community.

There was definitely a slow burn romance there. Being able to turn from a human into a dragon is pretty sweet. I read this book in a day and enjoyed every minute.

The king plans to summon women with magical abilities to his castle in Jade City to bear heirs. Despite having a minimal dragon magic lineage, the protagonist is unexpectedly chosen by magic sniffers. Excited to go, a shocking secret from her mother reveals potential danger, hinting at a threat from the king himself.

I have to be honest, this was badly written. I'm not a really critical reader but the style of writing reminded me a lot of bad wattpad fiction. The story sounded promising and I liked the premise a lot. BUT the romance was lacking depth and it just moved too fast. many plotpoints and characters didn't make a lot of sense to me. The characters are written very shallow... I couldn't bond with them emotionally.

It was entertaining but just that. I am unfortunately not a fan.

I received and ARC from netgalley for a honest review. Thanks for the arc, NetGalley!

I devoured this book in 1 day. Some fantasies are dense with the world building, Leia Stone struck the perfect middle of developed world and fast pace while still being an easy and captivating read. This scratched the fantasy itch I didn't know I had at the time and I jumped right into the second book- The broken Elf King.

Easy and fast read about a dragon king who needs an heir and him falling in love. Cute romance and it moved quickly.

The Last Dragon King by Leia Stone is a YA fantasy romance set in a world where the king is a dragon shifter. It follows Arwen who lives in a small mining village. When Drae the dragon king sends out a decree that he is in search of a new wife and is selecting women from every village, Arwen could not care less. She just wants to live a quiet life with her family. However, the king's people select Arwen as one of the women who could potentially marry the king, and her life is turned upside down.
I found this to be a fun and fast-paced YA fantasy that can be read quickly. I enjoyed the premise of the book and I was intrigued by Drae's character but I had some issues. Arwen was not my favorite main character because she is "not like other girls." I also found the pacing of the romance to be weird. It would seem like we were establishing the romance but then we would move 5 steps back and that was frustrating. Then once we finally got to a good place with the romance some decisions were made that I did not like. It was a pretty upsetting circumstance and Arwen had no thoughts or questions about how that choice would impact her life. The issue did resolve but it left a bad taste in my mouth. Besides that, I thought this book was fun and I am curious to see where the series goes.
Thanks to NetGalley and Bloom Books for the ARC in exchange for a review!

I should know by now that I dont like the FMC in 80% of the books I read... and this was no exception. She was so picky and made me roll my eyes too many times. I found the plot interesting, tho.

This book was a quick and enjoyable YA fantasy book. In a time where dragons are all the rage, it came at a perfect time.

This book is detailing a fictional world where the last dragon king is in need of an heir in order for his people to keep their magic. He decides to test the magic of women from different villages to determine who will be able to produce a viable heir. Enter our MC, who does not know her own magical capabilities. She is quickly thrown into the path of the dragon king against her will. During this time she begins to fall in love with him of course.

Their love is not an easy one. Even though her feelings are reciprocated, because of her lineage it is predicted that a child they produced would end in heartbreak. This is where our characters deal with their major hurdles, marriage for convenience while being in love with each other or marry one another but lie with others to produce children.

I will admit, I got a bit angry when I read the second option. I understand why it was offered, but still annoyed me. Luckily the love between the two chests tees was too strong to allow this and there was a happy ending between the two.

While dealing with the turbulence of their own relationship, we have the underlying turmoil in the kingdom, which is set up in the background and will obviously be explored further in the rest of the series.

The MC was a bit annoying at times and definitely felt a bit like a pick me girl. She used the womb a bit too much. Drae I actually really liked and wished we got to explore more. His past heartbreak with his wife and children was so upsetting and made me understand his actions a bit more.

Overall, this was a quick and light read. I found myself enjoying it and will probably continue the series.