Cover Image: The Friendship Club

The Friendship Club

I have read many books written by Robyn Carr and am a fan of her voice and style. In this book, she focuses on female friendships across generations and facing the roller coaster that is life sometimes. I enjoyed this quick read and would recommend it to those who like to read this subgenre of women's fiction with a slice of romance.

Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for a digital ARC. All opinions are my own.

This was my first read of a Carr book, I so love her Virgin River tv show. I found Marni and Ellen to be excellent strong characters but I didn’t enjoy Bella. Bella I found to immature and I didn’t believe the pregnancy contributed to the way she acted at all. This started out slow as we got to know the main characters and then it picked up nicely with several HEA at the end. I look forward to hearing more about Ellen perhaps in a story about her next.

Thank you NetGalley for allowing me to receive this book for an honest review

I generally look foward to reading Robyn Carr books and I was so happy when I received this one. But for some reason I just could not get into it. It started off ok but then I felt board.

Maybe this one just wasn't for me. I look foward to the next one.

the setup…
Marni McGuire is a highly successful, long-term host of cooking show who’s pretty satisfied with her life now that she’s in her mid-fifties. Her only daughter Bella is pregnant with her first child and somehow thinks her mother needs love in her life, though she’s struggling in her own marriage because her hormonal emotional rollercoaster is driving her husband (and her) crazy. Marni was widowed when Bella was an infant and is divorced from her second husband. Her best friend Ellen who’s also her show’s extremely talented producer is equally content living a single life after having been her late husband’s caretaker for years. Unfortunately, Sophia, their promising young intern is in a relationship that is scary but she’s hiding that from them and her father. When Marni and Ellen find themselves in friends-to-lovers romances, they not only keep them secret but question whether they should disrupt their contentment.

the heart of the story…
The thing I liked about this story is how all of these women were talented, successful and had strong senses of self and self worth. Marni and Ellen’s reluctance to enter into committed relationships was born from their prior histories. Why take the risks when your life is working so well? It’s when they discover Sophia’s peril with a stalker crazy man she dated briefly that the women form a bond, opening up about their pasts that provide wisdom and insights, secrets they’d not shared before. Poor Bella was going crazy and needed her mother’s guidance.

the narration…
Plummer is a wonderful storyteller and I liked the voices she gave to these four women.

the bottom line…
I enjoyed this story about four strong women who form a bond as they face new crossroads in their lives, sharing with and supporting each other without judgment and always with respect and admiration. Sophia’s issues were a frightening illustration of what so many women face today and it has nothing to do with being weak or strong. I also liked the honesty of their relationships with the men in their lives who were a reflection of their own great choices (excepting Sophia). It was all highly relevant and insightful.

Robyn Carr’s books are such comfort reads to me. Sadly, this this book lacked all those things. I felt that it dragged on and I didn't connect to any of the characters. I'm guessing this is just a one off, and I will certainly show up for her next book.

A well written story of the extended family we surround ourselves with. Lead character Marni, her assistant Ellen, daughter Bella, sister Nettie and young intern Sophia. Each woman at a different point in life, but all gathering together. Each character is well written. Some with humor, grace, a bit of crazy. We should all be so lucky to have friends such as these

I normally love Robyn Carr’s books, but with the book being told from the viewpoints of multiple characters, I didn’t feel like I was really able to connect with any of them, or their stories. It felt like a peek into the lives of a group of intertwined people, but I didn’t feel like it was building toward a main conflict, or a focal point. Not my favorite book, even though Robyn Carr has long been one of my favorite authors.

I received a copy of this book from NetGalley; all opinions are my own.

I typically enjoy Robyn Carr’s books. I’m a huge fan of her Virgin River series and am working my way through her backlist. But I had an incredibly difficult time getting into this story. I could barely connect with the characters, and the pace felt super slow. It took me a lot longer to finish this one book than it typically takes me to finish 3-4. I know even my favorite authors will occasionally write one book that just won’t resonate with me. And this was definitely Ms. Carr’s. I look forward to her next release with a lot of eagerness.

NICUnurse’s Rating: ⭐⭐⭐

A cozy read about a circle of women and their friendship and relationships. Great conversations and banter, slice of life- easy and entertaining read.

From the first few chapters, I was hooked! I couldn't put it down. This is an amazing and heartwarming women's fiction friendship read. The multi layered, strong characters, each with a drama in their life were written so well. The dialogue and banter was sharp, realistic and perfect for this story. This was a wonderful book. I loved it from the first page to the last.

I have read other books by Robyn Carr (like Virgin River) and enjoyed them immensely so I was super excited to get this book. It did not disappoint! If you like Debbie Macomber, Elin Hildebrand, or Susan Mallery you will be sure to love this book. It would actually be the perfect beach read. I will be sure to read many more books by Robyn Carr in the future !!

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with this book in exchange of my honest review!

My blog is https://bookreviewsbyjules.blogspot.com/

Goodreads https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/44083250-julia

Instagram/bookstagram https://www.instagram.com/bookreviewsbyjules/

Thank you!

The Friendship Club is a story about four women who come together when dealing with some of life’s challenges. The story centers around Marni McGuire, a cooking show celebrity. She’s had two marriages and thinks she’s done with dating, but maybe not. She has a pregnant daughter Bella, and her assistant Ellen and Sophia, a young intern. Each of the women have their own story about what is happening in their lives.

The women form an informal “friendship club” to support each other through their situations. The two older women, Marni and Ellen have some life-lessons to convey, but they also just provide support to Bella who’s marriage may not be what everyone sees, and Sophia who is dealing with an abusive situation. The power in this story is in the way these women support each other and learn about themselves and each other in the process.

I enjoyed The Friendship Club and how the support the club brought to these women was so important. I like this author’s writing style, as it is easy-to-read and fall into. A satisfying women's fiction story.

This women's fiction novel features multi-generational women who are family, co-workers, and friends. They support each other through relationship problems and crises, and they celebrate when when things work out, including new connections. Cooking and food play an important part, since the main character, Marni, is a TV chef. This is a thoroughly enjoyable story of strong women who are able to face challenges and even manage to make the world a better place. Recommended.

This is a cozy read about friendship and love. I loved the characters and how they supported each other through the good and rough times in their lives. It showed how important friendships are to women. I also liked how many of the characters found a way to make a difference in the world by using their talents, experiences, and resources. It inspired me to think about ways I can serve others. Another theme of the book is that love can always be found when you open your heart to it. The book did get a bit spicy in a few places and I had to skip over the love scenes! Other than that I couldn't put the book down! I highly recommend this book to readers who enjoy a book about friendships.

Thank you to NetGalley and Harlequin Trade Publishing for the ARC in exchange for my honest review!

Robyn Carr explores the intersecting lives of four women of multiple generations in her newest women's fiction novel The Friendship Club. I enjoy reading about characters at different stages of life and Sophia, Bella, Ellen, and Marni provide plenty of food for thought as they each approach a crossroads with the possibility of taking them in new, and in some cases unexpected, directions. Carr does a good job of making all of these women - and their circumstances - relatable. While they range in age from twenty-two to sixty, they're developed in such a way that I was able to identify and empathize with all of them even if I had not shared their individual experiences.

The female bonding and support is strong in this book, something I enjoy in real life and on the page. I appreciated the banter among the women, the fun they have, the secrets they share, the way they challenge one another but also have each other's backs, the empowerment that results from that. I also like the fact that Ellen and Marni, at ages when many are contemplating retirement, step forward into new opportunities. Reinventing oneself never goes out of style.

While the primary focus of this book is on the evolution of the women, there are also romantic elements. Some of the women find themselves entering into promising relationships as well as finding peace with past partners. A marriage faces emotional challenges during an IVF pregnancy, and, as in real life, one toxic relationship goes off the rails. There may be readers who are triggered by this.

Finally, as one who uses baking to deal with stress, I love Marni's multi-tier cake. Okay, let's be honest, I love everything Marni cooks and bakes in this book. It had me drooling and ready to hit the kitchen myself. Also, as someone who was primary caregiver to my late husband for many years, I closely identify with Ellen and the emotional challenges she needs to overcome in order to move forward into a new relationship. I felt like I was right there with her, facing those emotional hurdles, and feeling an immense sense of relief when she conquered them.

If you enjoy women's fiction, strong female friendships, overcoming adversity, and starting over wiser and stronger, give Robyn Carr's The Friendship Club a try.

Content Warnings: stalking, abusive relationship, cheating

Four women from four different walks of life come together in a unique friendship that has the bonds of a lifetime.

Marni is a Famous cooking show host who has been married twice, lost a husband to death and one to divorce. Now in her 50s, she is happily single and living her best life. And excited to become a grandma. Ellen, who is Marni’s friend, and production person on her show. She spent years taking care of her husband, who is now no longer with her. Ellen two is happy to be living the single life. Bella is about to embark on a new phase of womanhood by becoming a mother. And Sophia, an intern, at the cooking show who quickly becomes a friend. It’s just learning the ways of life and love.

Robyn Carr beautifully blended some romance, some suspense, and some women’s fiction into a fantastic story. It shows the bonds and strength of friendship. Coming together when needed. Finding strength through someone that you care about. Building each other up in the best possible way. And being there just being there. Robin touches on subjects that can be strenuous and triggering for some people. She does it with class and style. She is able to take these harsh subjects and show what friendship is really like amongst women who care about each other. This story was more than I expected it to be.

Rating: 4.5 Stars

Warm-hearted, uplifting and addictive, The Friendship Club is the spellbinding new novel by much-loved number one best-selling author Robyn Carr.

Marni McGuire has done it all and seen it all. In her mid-fifties, the celebrity cooking show host has been married, divorced and widowed and is now happily single. The only fly in the ointment is that her pregnant daughter Bella is desperate to find her a man and refuses to believe that her mother is perfectly happy on her own. Deciding to humor her daughter, Marni agrees to go on the dates her daughter has set up for her – and is shocked when she finds her resolve to stay stubbornly single wavering as she begins to wonder whether her Mr Right might still be out there after all…

Marni’s best friend is also enjoying the single life – or so she tells herself, however, when one of their younger colleagues appears to be caught up in a toxic relationship, the older women join forces to show the intern that life’s too short to spend it with somebody who isn’t right for you. Meanwhile, Bella is worried that the impending birth of her child might end up putting a strain on her marriage.

As the four women find themselves navigating the challenges of relationships, dating, loneliness and romance, they find themselves relying on one another as they realize that good friends are worth their weight in gold.

Robyn Carr is at her absolute best with her latest page-turner, The Friendship Club. Witty, compelling and immensely enjoyable, The Friendship Club is a deft and astute exploration of women’s relationships at different stages of their lives that will make readers laugh out loud and shed a tear or two. Written straight from the heart and with all the flair, sensitivity and humor that have become her hallmarks, Robyn Carr’s The Friendship Club is sure to rocket up the bestsellers list and satisfy her legion of devotees and newcomers to her work alike.

This book took until the sixth chapter for me to really get into it. I did finally connect with the characters in the book and wanted them all to succeed. I like how all the women came together to help each one out but also learn to be on their own and enjoy new things. This book was a feel good, easy to read, and heartfelt.

A great story of four women, their friendship with each other, their relationships and support of one another as they navigate life's circumstances.

Friendships come in all sizes and shapes. Some long term. some not. Some close, some definitely not. But the friendships developed over time and through troubles make the biggest impact on your life. THE FRIENDSHIP CLUB is built around a bonded friendship so close that two of the women are mother and daughter. Four women of differing ages and at different stages of their lives will carry each other through some of the most trying times, tempering the ups and downs that occur in each life. Robyn Carr is well known for her emotionally charged books featuring women at their weakest and strongest moments. Her stories always remind you that there is a way through the troubles as long as you keep your head up and listen to those who love you.