Cover Image: The Friendship Club

The Friendship Club

Rounded up from 3.5 stars.
This was a really lovely book to read. I loved each of the female characters that were part of the "club" and their stories. I did feel as though Marni was the guiding character in these stories and that because of this, she was the most well developed. Ellen, Bella, and Sophia all felt a little less known to me just because of them being more of side characters than guiding stories.

Despite that, reading each of their stories gave me something different and all felt well explored. They all experienced different problems to work through, but the moral of the story is they were able to do it all together.

Thank you to Harlequin Trade Publishing and NetGalley for an eARC in exchange for an honest review.

The Friendship Club by Robyn Carr is a heartfelt and touching book focusing on friendships, family relations, domestic violence, mental health, and second chances. Though it might not sound uplifting, I could not stop reading this book, wanting to know more about each character. Ms Carr is a master at writing words to create the imagery and emotions her characters are dealing with.

Centering around four women from varied age groups, they discover that it is the power of friendship that helps them, and us, get through life's challenges. Marni, a fifty something celebrity chef, may finally be ready to renter the dating world after making some bad man choices. Bella, Marni’s daughter, is a smart and ambitious woman, about to have her own baby. Ellen, Marni’s coworker, feels past her prime but may also be ready for love again. Sophia, their young intern, finds herself in a bad relationship and after a scary experience and needs recovery time.

All four of these women are strong, independent, and stand on their own, though some discover that sometimes, it’s nice to have a man around. Forging new relationships, each member takes steps toward sorting out their lives. Marni finds refuge in her kitchen, Ellen in Mark's neighborly calls, Bella bringing her son into this world, and Sophia having the courage to leave in order to start over again.

Bonding together, the support these women offered each other a lifeline that gives them courage and strength to move forward. While it may seem like they’re an unlikely bunch, they truly brought out the best in each other. Although this book brings out all kind of emotions, it will leave you feeling hopeful at the end. If you like books about strong female friendships this was really wonderful.

I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book.

There just something cozy and comfortable about a Robyn Carr book. I've enjoyed so many of her novels and this was no exception. The book centers around tv celebrity chef Marni McGuire, her pregnant daughter Bella, her introverted colleague Ellen, and a younger show intern Sophia as they navigate the ups and downs of marriage, relationships, dating, and life in general. They are there to support and encourage each other and lift the others up. This is a story of true friendship between women of different ages and backgrounds. While not my favorite of her stories, I still really enjoyed this book.
I voluntarily read and reviewed an advance copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

The Friendship Club is a wonderful story of Marni and the challenges she's faced, and overcome, along with the sisterhood of friends she's built, including her now-adult daughter and college-aged intern who works for her cooking show. While the older women are trying to convince the younger women of their happiness, the younger women are struggling to find their own happiness and follow the examples set by their elders. They all eventually realize they can learn from and alongside each other, and realize both happiness and new life lessons they never expected. A highly recommended read!

I am a huge fan of author Robyn Carr, have been reading her romances and women's fiction for years, and I've read everything of hers I've been able to get my hands on.

I loved this latest offering from Carr and I highly recommend it.

Marni McGuire hosts a popular cooking show on a cable network and is helped by a crew of women who also happen to be her friends. Also part of this circle of friends is her pregnant daughter.

The story highlights love in our older years plus the more serious subject of domestic abuse, so be forewarned if that can be a trigger.

I received this Digital Review Copy from MIRA Editors through Net Galley in the hopes that I would read it and leave an unbiased review. This is that review.

Thanks to NetGalley for the arc!
Wow! This was a really great book!! This storyline was a little off from my normal reading picks but it sounded good so I thought I’d give it a try - I’m so glad I did! The different stories of the women and their backgrounds all went together amazingly and brought it all together. Everyone had a different background but they all cared so much about each other and same goals - love and friendship. It was a great story, wasn’t slow but allowed enough to keep the interest as it went. It was a great book to deter from my normal reading choices.

What a wonderful story. It revolved around Marni, who was a TV chef. She loved to cook and it just happened. She started sampling foods at grocery stores with her small daughter (Bella) on her back and she always sold tons of whatever product she was sampling. Then she got a small segment and it grew to her own show.
Her first husband was killed quite early in their marriage. Then she met Jeff who had an affair and wasn't smart about his money from the divorce settlement. Marni worked with Sophia, who was an intern for the show, and Ellen, who was a fabulous chef but didn't want to be on air. Marni and Ellen had been single for awhile and neither one really wanted a love affair, but sometimes love just happens slowly but surely. I felt bad that Bella was going through horrible hormone issues and was having wild thoughts of her husband cheating, but In reality, he just wanted something to eat other than a salad. Bella thought she was too fat, so at a lot of salads. He thought she was beautiful and pregnant but she had trouble hearing that. Her mom talked her down and told her to get some counseling. Sophia's story was hard, as I worried that something bad would happen to her. A night out went wrong and a young man was fixated on her. When she finally told the ladies what was happening, they got her help and it turned things around for her. The love stories for Ellen and Marni were both sweet and well deserved. The whole story was just perfect.

I got this book from NetGalley and am voluntarily leaving a review

ʙ ᴏ ᴏ ᴋ • ʀ ᴇ ᴠ ɪ ᴇ ᴡ

📖 The Friendship Club
✍🏻 @robyncarrwriter
⭐️ 5
🌶️ 1
🫶🏻 ARC #10 of 2024
📚10/100

This book was the easiest 5 ⭐️s I’ve given in 2024 yet.

🤝🏼 best friends / friendship
💔 loss, divorce, abuse and stalking
🫶🏻 second chances
🥹 family over everything
🥗 FMC is a chef/tv star
🐶 golden retriever MMC
💣 drama
🌶️ a very little bit of spice

There were multiple FMC and MMC to follow, but for the first time in a while..they were easy to differentiate and follow.

I absolutely LOVED Marni, Ellen, Sophia and Bella’s stories! They each had their different tropes, struggles, story lines and dramas. And it was 🤌🏻 @robyncarrwriter was able to make you feel every emotion with every character and root, cheer, cry, fear and feel for them all individually!

This is book #10 so far in 2024 and my fourth 5 ⭐️ rating!!

I absolutely LOVED this book and will absolutely be looking into the Sullivans Crossing series now!

#booksta #bookish #booksbooksbooks #booklover #bookworm #booknerd #arc #netgalley #arcreader #loved #robyncarr #thebestfriendsclub

NOTE. I have posted my review on GoodReads, Story Graph. & will post in my instagram on the pub date

There is much that can be said about the friendships and bonds of a small group of women as they move through their lives together. Robyn Carr has let us visit 4 unique women of various ages and see how they manage to deal with the unexpected life events that have the ability to disrupt their lives. Some of these events are wonderful and others could have disastrous effects! Ms. Carr sorts it all out and lets us enjoy yet another of her books!

Publication date: January 23, 2024

The Friendship Club is a standalone book by author Robyn Carr (Best known for the Virgin River series). This is a women’s fiction with a touch of romance.

Marni McGuire is a celebrity chef, once widowed and once divorced living happily on her own with her circle of friends surrounding her. Marni’s circle consists of her sister Nettie, her friend Ellen (and producer of her show), her daughter Bella and Sophie her the young intern at her show.

Each of these women are at the peak of change in their lives and depend on each other for advice, guidance and friendship. When one of their own is caught up in an abusive relationship they come together to help guide and protect her.

While keeping busy filming her show and maintaining her friendships Marni is certain love and relationships aren’t in her future. A connection with an unexpected suitor makes her realize that maybe it’s not too late.

This is a good story with strong female characters and incredible friendships. There is a sprinkle of romance for a few of the characters as well. I did find some parts a bit repetitive, multiple explanations of the same past memories said different ways. This is a 3 star for me, decent but not a ton of character depth. This is a quick easy light read!

Disclaimer: I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

#NetGalley #robyncarr #thefriendshipclub

I loved this story by one of my favorite authors. This was about Marnie and 3 others, her best friend Ellen, her pregnant daughter Bella and Sophie who is an intern on Marnie's cooking show. They get together and talk with good food and wine about life. Each one has their own story and all are very interesting. A MUST READ. A GREAT READ.

The Friendship Club by Robyn Carr centers around Marni McGure, a self-made host of a popular television cooking show. Marnie's account and those of her support staff/friends Ellen and Sophia and Marnie's pregnant daughter Bella offer romance, friendship and drama (stalking, divorce, abuse). These are women who have battled past/through pregnancy, IVF, disabled spouse, etc. to become stronger and closer.

I felt there was a loose thread or two. There were enough comments about safety -- to stay inside behind locked doors in a secure house that lead me to believe more was coming....(especially when people kept walking through the door...not all of whom would have had access). I also thought there would have been more development regarding Jason and Bella and their drama.

Thanks to Harlequin Trade Publishing - MIRA, Robyn Carr and NetGalley for this ARC.

I am a huge fan of Robyn Carr’s books, but I don’t think I can provide a public review of this book. I am used to reading ARCs, but this truly seemed like a first draft. There were so many run-on sentences and incomplete thoughts that it was almost unreadable. If this is the way the book will be published it is only a 2-star read for me. If a later draft or audio version becomes available, I would love to give it a second try.

The Friendship Club
Robyn Carr
January 23, 2024

Marni Cooks had just finished wrapping up the season filming. All involved in the show talked about celebrating in their usual way. Ellen the producer and project intern, Sophia stayed to clean up while Marni put out hors d’oeuvres. While they waited for Bella, Marni’s daughter and sister, Nettie to arrive all chatted about upcoming plans. When Marni’s life went awry after Bella was born, she took whatever jobs she could find to support her family. Those developed into a career as a TV chef. She built a new home in a secure area where the series could be taped twice yearly. It had become very popular and was syndicated. After losing her first husband and divorcing Jeff her second, Marni’s life circled around her show, Bella and her husband.
The Friendship Club will be published by Mira on January 23, 2024. I was able to read and review Carr’s latest novel via NetGalley. Once again, in reading her novels I was very impressed by her story-telling. The plot is family oriented with a delightful tone yet the particulars that surface are valuable advice. It’s a wonderful book that I encourage all to read. Her fans already have plans for the purchase or a library hold but those who have never read her books should get a copy. Her method of telling Marni and the characters' history is excellent. I found myself identifying with their situations. Do read and enjoy Robyn Carr’s latest publication!

I know I say this about every Robyn Harding book but this might just be my favorite by her!!!!!!!!!!! I loved the female camaraderie in this story so much!!!!!!!!

I have enjoyed the TV series based on Carr's work, so I thought it was time to read one of her books. I am so glad I did. I truly enjoyed the Friendship Club! The characters slowly enter into reader's hearts as we join them on their journeys to self discovery! Each of the female protagonists navigate huge life challenges, which they learn they can lean on each other for support. Carr handles big life topics like domestic violence, being a widow, finding new love, and living life in the moment throughout the pages of her book. I felt like I was sitting in a living room with the four friends and often wanted to give them my own advice. Carr has written yet another story readers can connect to that will tug at their heart strings. Thanks to Harlequin Trade Publishing, MIRA and Net Galley for an ARC, so I could give an honest review!

The Friendship Club by Robyn Carr is a wonderful stand-alone novel. The story revolves around 4 women in different age groups (who are friends, family or coworker); centered around Marni McGuire.

Marni is a well-known cooking show chef, whose tv show, Marni Cooks, is very successful. She has been married twice and is now happily single. Her pregnant daughter, Bella, keeps trying to set up her mother with blind dates, which Marni tries to avoid; especially after her disastrous divorce a few years ago. Bella, who is a lawyer, finds herself overwhelmed by her pregnancy and her marriage is struggling.

Ellen works with Marni, and also loves being a chef, though she likes being out of the limelight. Ellen and Marni are very close, having worked together for over 20 years, with Ellen widowed and content living alone. Ellen enjoys spending off time with Marni, Bella and Sophia (who also works for the cooking show). Sophia is in college, and works at the television station, in an internship, helping prepare the food in the background.
These women have a close bond, which also includes Marni’s sister Nettie, and when they get together, they always help support each other. This is a wonderful story about friendship and relationships, as well as helping each other. Both Marni and Ellen find themselves becoming close to possible relationships. Marni becoming close to Sophia’s father, a local farmer, and Ellen slowly falling for her next-door neighbor.

When Sophia meets Angelo, she finds him very attractive and fun to be with. But things change drastically, and he shows a very bad side. Sophia breaks up with him, but now he is stalking her, breaking into her house. She finally tells Marni and Ellen, and they try to help her, with Sophia staying at Marni’s house; with a restraining order against Angelo, who continues to appear. They all have each other to get through difficult times, and Sophia, still living in fear, will change her life and move back home to Argentina, where she can be free.
What follows is a touching and heartwarming story, revolving around friendships, family, violence and love. The Friendship Club was a sweet story so very well written by Robyn Carr.

Robyn Carr can do it all! I absolutely loved the story of friendship and belonging in this story. Highly recommend.

The Friendship Club by Robyn Carr

I love Robyn Carr’s books, but usually her romances like Virgin River and Thunder Point. I was a bit worried about trying a women's fiction one since I don't typically enjoy the genre. I dove in because I love Robyn Carr, and I really loved this! The characters captured my heart and I loved the setting. I didn't want to stop reading when life things came up, and always hurried back to it when I could. Women's fiction tends to be very emotional, heavy, and dramatic and I don't like that in my books. That wasn't the case here, though. The book was happy and the drama was just the right amount to keep me interested. I definitely recommend this one!

We all need friends and what Robyn Carr has written here is a story of friendship and love. The women in this story support each other first and foremost. Each one helps the other shine brighter. Marni is a TV chef, Ellen is her assistant of twenty years, Sophia is her intern, and Bella is her daughter. Each woman has a different romantic path and outcome in the story.

Robyn writes characters so well and easily switches from each character's story seamlessly. Not only is a supportive environment for women shown but there is also an exposure to domestic violence and a battle with infertility. This story reminds readers of the importance of friendship and the willingness to try romance and change again. Learning about hydroponic gardening was a bonus.