Cover Image: Someone Saw Something

Someone Saw Something

“Someone Saw Something” by Rick Mofina is a gripping thriller that delves into every parent’s worst nightmare: a missing child.

Rick kept the chapters short, and the tension high. The anticipation I had turning the pages, made me anxious to see what was to come next. Rick’s writing is crisp, evoking the frantic emotions of a desperate mother and the relentless pursuit of truth.
The pacing is relentless, mirroring the urgency of the search for Corina’s son Gabriel. Rick’s attention to detail immerses readers into the bustling city, from the newsroom to the shadowy alleys. The suspense is apparent, and the twists keep coming until the final revelation.
“Someone Saw Something” is a rollercoaster ride of suspense, secrets, and heart-pounding moments.

I really enjoyed this thriller about a family drama that results in a kidnapping. So many different theories are explored before the cops figure out who the kidnapper really was. Was it the disgruntled boss, the development company looking for a falsified report, the much older boyfriend of their teenaged daughter? The chase scene is so tense and stressful, will they get their son back?!? I did figure out who the kidnapper was before the cops did, but just barely. I could not put this down! Highly recommend!

BOOK REVIEW🚔🚨📰⏳🎥🧸📍🔎🗽

Someone Saw Something - @rickmofina
Pub date: 4/30/2024
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Oooooh. This fast-paced crime thriller was just what I needed after some slow-ish reads. And also reminded me why “police procedural” is my absolute favorite trope within the thriller/mystery genre. (With legal thrillers being my second fave).
From the minute I started reading, I felt like I was inside of a Criminal Minds episode. Hence the music I chose for this post👀. The family dynamic, the drama, the emotions, the fast pace, the revelations being discovered one by one. The “race against time”. My heart was beating so fast wondering what was going to happen next!
I absolutely loved how there were multiple POVs. My favorite being the female detective’s POV— The fact that she had lost her own child and wanted to solve this case so badly because she had that connection to it, and knew what it was like to be in the mother’s shoes, made it feel so much more “real”.
I only left out 1 star because I really didn’t like the daughter’s character, and her relationship with her boyfriend. Not only because she was underage and he was much older than her— (yuck), but I just felt like both characters were unlikeable in their own ways, and sometimes their interactions/scenes in the book, together and apart, felt forced and just “thrown in”.

Thank you to @netgalley @htpbooks @_mira_books_ for this e-arc in exchange for an honest review!

#netgalleyreview #thrillerbookreview #policeproceduralbooks #crimethrillerbooks #htphive #htpbooks #bookfluencer #newthrillerbooks

Six-year-old Gabriel Tanner is walking home from school with his older sister through New York City's Central Park. He tries out a toy airplane he made and goes to retrieve it up a hill and behind some thick bushes. Charlotte is texting on her phone with her older boyfriend, but soon realizes Gabriel is missing. There are many suspects in his abduction. Gabriel's mom is well-known journalist Corina Corado whose international reporting has gained her many enemies. However, Corina's husband has made his share of enemies, too, in his career as a Forensic Engineer working on a controversial project.

This is a fast-paced thriller and is one of those stories where all the main characters are keeping secrets, so many of them look suspicious. I saw through most of the red herrings and caught onto the clues about halfway through the story about who was behind Gabriel's disappearance. However, I was still in suspense over what would happen and what the motive was for taking him. I had to suspend disbelief a few times, but this is an entertaining book that shows both the good and bad sides to the power of the media.

I received an advance copy of this ebook at no cost from NetGalley, Harlequin Trade Publishing, and Mira. My review is voluntary and unbiased.

A twisty child abduction thriller that takes place over seven days. Young Gabriel disappears while his stepsister Charlotte is busy texting with the boyfriend her parents have forbidden her to see. His mom Corina and his father Robert are desperate to find him (of course) but they both have secrets that lead to lots and lots of suspects (perhaps too many). There aren't too many surprises here for fans of this genre but I found myself turning the pages. Thanks to the publisher for the ARC. Would be a good one for travel.

Someone Saw Something follows the Corado family as they deal with the aftershock of their 6 year old son, Gabriel, going missing. The story unfolds slowly as there are many possible leads about where Gabriel has gone. As each lead is explored, new possibilities emerge. Half way through the novel the story finally picks up pace as an ending starts to come into sight. I found the first half of the novel to be too drawn out, while I loved the twists and building suspense of the second half. I was able to predict the outcome fairly early in the book, which took me by surprise as I usually struggle with all of the plot twists. Overall, a good suspenseful novel about a family trauma.
Thank you NetGalley for the ARC.

Someone Saw Something by Rick Mofina is a highly recommended family drama centered around the search for a child who has gone missing and presumed to be abducted.

News anchor and journalist Corina Corado asks her sixteen-year-old stepdaughter, Charlotte, to pick up her six-year-old little brother, Gabriel, from school because their father, Robert had to delay his flight and is unable to do so. Charlotte and Gabriel walk through Central Park on their way home so he can have a text flight of a plane he made. As the plane flies over a hill, Gabriel runs off to get it and Charlotte, who is texting, says she'll be right there waiting for him... but he doesn't come right back. Charlotte runs to find him and can't. The unthinkable has happened. Gabriel is missing.

A missing child and subsequent search and investigation is enough excitement to hold up a plot. Adding one complication, the hate mail Corina receives as a well known journalist is an understandable concern. But Mofina ups the ante to almost unbelievable levels. The number of secrets, twists, and extraneous directions the investigation takes is throwing everything into the plot, including the kitchen sink. The whole twenty-one year old "boyfriend" of your sixteen-year-old daughter thread could have been left out, as could Robert's big secrets.

The characters are portrayed as realistic individuals, except for maybe the whole withholding of major pieces of information that might be connected to the search for their SON. However, while reading your emotions will be running high as you wait for the characters to just tell the whole truth.

Admittedly, it held my attention because of all the secrets and intrigue, but in the end I felt as if the main concern, Gabriel, was being buried under all the other plot threads and characters included in the narrative. This overload of extras that maybe were possibly connected with the investigation actually slowed down the novel and the main concern - searching for Gabriel. 3.5 rounded up. Thanks to MIRA for providing me with an advance reader's copy via NetGalley. My review is voluntary and expresses my honest opinion.

The review will be published on Edelweiss, X, Barnes & Noble and Amazon.

Although I enjoy Rick Mofina books, this one fell short for me. It seemed to be missing the usual fast paced tension that the author is known for. I found it repetitive and slow paced, and too many characters interspersed. However I do appreciate how Mofina eventually connects them. I also enjoy multiple POVs with a twist or reveal at every chapter ending. Overall, I do recommend this book especially for fans of Mofina, just go in with lower expectations of his previous books.

Read this if you like:
-family dysfunction
-stories with radical organizations
-secrets and lies

My rating 3 out of 5
Thanks to NetGalley and Harlequin Trade Publishing MIRA for this eARC that will be published April 30 2024.

Not my favorite Mofina to date and definitely a slower paced read.
I'm usually a fan of his use of multiple povs but I feel like I didn't like any of the voices we got in this one.
Also Corinas job just sounded so boring to me so everytime it was mentioned or some scenes were taking place at the newscenter building I was just fading out slowly.

The ending was just ok. I figured out the why but not the who initially.

Thank you to the publisher for the advanced copy.

Corina is married to Robert and they have two children ... Charlotte is sixteen and Gabriel is six. Robert was supposed to pick up Gabriel after school but he's tied up in a meeting at the last minute so Corina asks Charlotte. Charlotte and Gabriel cut through the park so Gabriel can fly the airplane he had just built. She's texting her older boyfriend she isn't supposed to have and isn't paying attention and Gabriel disappears. The police are called and the hunt is on.

I've read a few books by this author and thought this one was okay. There were so many side stories (aka red herrings) and I felt the book could have been edited down so it wasn't so long and drawn out. Corina is a journalist and had been getting death threats from a conspiracy theory group followers, Corina feels Robert is hiding something (an affair perhaps?), Charlotte is still in contact with the boyfriend though her parents had told her to stop, Corina has a sleazy boss who had put the moves on her and then threatened her, a rival network keeps broadcasting that Corina had been so desperate for a baby that she stole one from a dying mother in Nicaragua and illegally adopted him (ie Gabriel), how are the Russians involved, and more. She does have the support of her news team, friends and a support group that is helping to find Gabriel.

It is written in third person perspective with the focus on wherever the action is. The ending came together quickly and was a bit a letdown for me. I thought Corina acted rashly at times, thus putting Gabriel in danger, and not letting the police do their job.

First and foremost, thank you to NetGalley and Harlequin for this opportunity.

The book started out somewhat fast paced but I found this novel to be a slow burn the further in that I got.
Charlotte picked up Gabriel from school and he wanders off while in Central Park. She’s in a scramble to find him before her parents find out he’s missing. But he never shows which leaves Charlotte no choice but to involve the police.
Corina is a reporter for a news channel and has many threats towards her over the years.
I felt nothing for the characters in this book. It was also very repetitive with the “queen of lies”, the gifts they received, the well wishes, the same questions being asked over and over. I did not find it suspenseful at all. It was a slow burn at best and really wanted to just find out who did it.

Thank you Netgalley, Harper Collins and Rick Mofina for the ARC of this novel.

A missing child is every parent’s worst nightmare.

For journalist Corina Corado, it’s a terrifying reality.

When six-year-old Gabriel vanishes from Central Park, his mother, news anchor Corina Corado, is desperate for answers. Who would take her son—and why?

Detectives suspect there’s a connection to the barrage of hate mail Corina’s received over the years. In her line of work, it’s not unusual for agitated conspiracy theorists to send messages that threaten violence…or worse. But as the investigation deepens, the secrets that Corina, her husband, Robert, and her stepdaughter, Charlotte, have kept start to unravel.

As the truth behind Gabriel’s disappearance emerges, Corina must race the clock to track down her missing child…before paying the ultimate price.

Thd book started off very slow for me. It improved as I continued reading. Honestly not my favorite Rick Mofina book. 3 out of 5 ⭐️

I have to say I feel like Rick Mofina often tends to get overlooked and is under appreciated. While this isn’t my absolute favorite of this work, it’s dang good and seriously engaging. Of course any mystery/thriller story involving kids tends to pull me in. There is something about kids (or animals) in danger that always heightens the tension. It’s every parent’s nightmare, their child going missing, which is exactly what happens when Corina’s step-daughter and adopted son, Charlotte and Gabriel, cut through Central Park. Charlotte is distracted with her phone and before she realizes it Gabriel is gone. Corina is a news anchor and the cops suspect the abduction may be related to her job. They also know the clock is ticking away on their chance to find the missing boy. But what’s the truth? This is an intrigue, fast-paced story, where everyone seems to have secrets and getting to the truth won’t be easy. I’d like to thank Harlequin Trade Publishing | MIRA and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review an eARC of Someone Saw Something.

Enjoyed it, but wasn't my favorite. Rick Mofina is one of my favorite authors and I always get excited when he has a new book out. I know there's going to be some sort of twist that I will never see coming. This book felt like it was missing something and is extremely repetitive. The characters weren't my favorite. Why not be truthful from the start? Robert held so much back. Everything that happened in Philadelphia seemed so shady and planned. Concealing it made him extremely suspicious. I can't forget the title because Corina must have said that phrase a thousand times. She says it every time she's in front of a camera, which is extremely often. The creepiest part of the book wasn't the abduction of Gabriel but had to be Vince's obsession with Charlotte. He's twenty-one and she's only fifteen. They couldn't stay away from each other, even after the police got involved. Charlotte blamed herself for Gabriel's abduction, since she was on the phone with her much too old boyfriend. It wouldn't have mattered either way. The person wanted Gabriel and put his/her plans in place. He/she went to a great deal of trouble to snatch the boy. This book is full of so many crazy people who will believe anything they hear, even if there aren't any facts backing it up. There were so many twists and turns. I had no idea who could have kidnapped Gabriel, since the list of possible suspects was endless. There were so many people who hated Corina, it could be any one of them. With all the cameras around, shouldn't they have caught something?

Definitely recommend the book. It was a good mystery/thriller and kept me entertained. I enjoyed the story and writing style. I look forward to reading more books by the author.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Harlequin Trade Publishing through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.

Wow. Someone Saw Something was truly a masterpiece of interweaving and well developed storylines that was nothing short of amazing. I cannot remember ever reading a novel that was so well written that I could picture scenes better than if it played out in a movie. This felt real.

The layers and layers of Someone Saw Something peeled back like an onion and left the reader not wanting to make claims on what they think happened. This book allowed me to slow down and truly enjoy the chapters rather than rushing to finish. Mofina expertly introduced new characters as if they’d been there all along, creating a stream-less storyline without the ups and downs and curveballs other books consistently produce. Every single character belonged and without excess/useless information, could’ve branched off as the star in their depiction of this story.

Absolutely the best and most well written book I’ve ever read- and at approximately 5-8 books a week, I’ve seen a lot. Thank you NetGalley and Harlequin Trade Publishing for this advanced readers copy!

International bestselling author Rick Mofina returns following Every Thing She Feared (2023) with his 32nd novel, a standalone riveting thriller, SOMEONE SAW SOMETHING.

In this complex, multi-layered, gripping crime thriller/domestic suspense, the son of a journalist/news anchor is kidnapped in Central Park as dark, hidden secrets emerge.

Corina Corado is a busy mom, a news anchor, and an international journalist. Her husband, Robert, an engineer, is delayed on a flight/meeting, so she called her 16-year-old stepdaughter, Charlotte (Robert's daughter with his wife, who died years earlier), to pick up their adopted six-year-old son, Gabriel, from school.

Gabriel was excited about a plane he had built with his father and talked his older sister into walking through Central Park on the way home so he could fly his plane. Charlotte agreed and loved her little brother. However, she was distracted momentarily by texting her older secret boyfriend, Vince (which her parents disapproved of). When she looked up, Gabriel was gone. How could he have disappeared?

Frantic, she locates the cop in the park, and the authorities are alerted immediately. The mother and father are also contacted. Charlotte blames herself, and their life soon falls apart. Everyone casts blame. Central Park was a vast labyrinth of roads, paths, lakes, lawns, and darkened woods with hidden realms. There were all kinds of dangerous people out there. They must find him! Why hasn't someone seen something that would help them locate their boy?

An intense investigation begins. Detectives suspect there may be a connection between all the hate mail Corina has received over the years and agitated conspiracy theorists. There was media abuse when Corina interviewed a husband and wife team who led a controversial group known for extreme views connecting to disturbing conspiracy theories.

They accused Corina of stealing Gabriel (back story here), stating she was the Queen of Lies, from relentless social media to altered photos and manipulated videos accusing her of every imaginable evil linking her to child stealing and more. However, she thought all this had died down.

There is also another storyline involving Robert. He is keeping dangerous secrets. Corina and Charlotte also have secrets, and her boyfriend, an Uber driver, is involved.

Corina is accustomed to reporting the news, and now she is in the news with many negative opinions and feedback. As a well-known international journalist, she has threats, and they most recently paused their extra security. Is the kidnapper someone with a grudge against her, a random kidnapper, or something else?

Where is Gabriel, and who took him? Motive? In a race against time, they must piece together the mystery puzzle pieces with many suspects before it is too late.

Engrossing and captivating, this is every parent's worst nightmare: a missing child with two high-profile parents and a small, young, innocent boy. Absorbing, chilling, intense, suspenseful, and impossible to put down. You need to figure out who to trust or believe. An intricately plotted ticking time bomb in a race to find an innocent boy.

Mofina is a professional, former international journalist, crime writer, and bestselling author who has an insider's view of journalism's dangers and challenges globally.

SOMEONE SAW SOMETHING expertly explores family trauma, dangerous secrets, strong familial bonds, and a determined mother's love while overcoming all the negative media and conspiracy theories.

Character-driven, the tension and suspense mount as the author shines and weaves a twisty, sinister tale that is unputdownable! The title is fitting for this brilliant crime thriller from a seasoned author, which will keep you turning the pages into the wee hours of the morning. I highly recommend it! I loved the Epilogue.

This book is for fans of Michael Robotham, Linwood Barclay, Lisa Unger, Michael Connelly, Fiona Barton, Hank Phillippi Ryan, and James Patterson. Library Journal calls Mofina "one of the best thriller writers in the business."

INTERVIEW: Stay tuned for my #AuthorElevatorSeries chat with Rick, where we will go behind the scenes of the book and this talented author.

Thanks to MIRA Book and NetGalley for an advanced digital review copy.

Blog review posted @
JudithDCollins.com
@JudithDCollins | #JDCMustReadBooks
My Rating: 5 Stars
Pub Date: April 30, 2024
April 2024 Must-Read Books
April Newsletter

A gripping and emotional ride following the abduction of a child. The reader is instantly drawn into the family's anquish fueled by fear, anger and guilt. The many twists and red herrings had me devouring the book in almost one sitting.

I was not really a fan of the book. I found it very slow and drawn out.
A child go missing in a second in Central Park while his sister is texting her boyfriend.
A story about family drama is brought out during the investigation to trying to find Gabriel.
I just found it very slow and drawn out. It could have been condensed by not adding in so many characters. Definitely not a book I will be excited to talk about

I enjoyed a lot of the mystery here and the tension between the characters, but the pacing was painfully slow. I wish it was a bit more fast paced, but overall I liked it!

Thank you to NetGalley for this ARC. All opinions expressed are my own.

I have read most of Rick Mofina's books and all are easily 4-5 star reads. Someone Saw Something is a great 4-star story. Six-year-old Gabriel disappears from Central Park while on his way home from school with his sister Charlotte. His mother, Corina is a news anchor and desperate to find him. Along the way of the investigation, we learn that everyone has secrets. There are a lot of characters in this one and I felt there were a few draggy parts, but overall, another winner from Mr. Mofina! Great twists and turns as usual! You really can't go wrong with this author, and I look forward to more!

Thank you to #NetGalley, Rick Mofina and Harlequin Trade Publishing, MIRA for this ARC! All opinions are my own.

I will post my review to Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Instagram and other retail and social media sites upon publication.