Cover Image: L'Air du Temps (1985)

L'Air du Temps (1985)

This story is a brief glimpse into the microcosm of a thirteen year old girl while the world and its problems loom on the periphery.

There was a nostalgic quality to this story that I enjoyed. It takes place four decades ago-when I was also a child-and so many of the pop culture references and musings of Zinnia were relatable. I to was in a world where the adults in my life had an unspoken language and whispers that hinted at heavier cares.

I would recommend this story to a more mature audience due to the exactitude of the pop culture references, yet the message can be applied across generations.

Thank you Regal House Publishing for the opportunity to respond to this story. All opinions are my own.

n 1985, the shooting of Mr. Marfeo disrupts the quiet suburban neighborhood of Maple Bay and prompts thirteen-year-old Zinnia Zompa to reorganize everything she knows about her parents—their preoccupations, obsessions, and above all, their battles with each other. As her understanding of the world grows, Zinnia sees how the violence she witnesses is part of a larger pattern of domination, one that shadows the world far beyond her neighborhood, and that coming of age means reckoning with this darkness

A quick read about a girl's life as she navigates and a murder mystery happening. I read it in one sitting and had a pleasant time. Thank you to Netgalley and the publishers for the arc.

A quick read about a mature young girl's life and the the lives of those who surround her. The characters are interesting and well written. While the story itself is short, the plot has some depth to it.

Interesting coming of age story. Very realistic characters. Thanks to Netgalley for the opportunity to read this book

An intensely imagined story of a teenage girl's coming of age against the backdrop of a murder and the repressive mysteries of her parent's marriage. Eerie, strong and beautifully realised this had elements of The Virgin Suicides in tone at least. She is particularly good at the unknown acreage of the teen condition and the boredom, intensity and fascination that it can engender.

L'Air du Temps (1985) is a book with a unique concept. While it's a murder mystery the actual crime is almost a background story, the real tale is of coming of age and the darkness that can lurk beneath the facade of the neatly kept lawns,shiny cars and seemingly perfect families of the suburban America of the mid 1980's.

As 13 year-old Zinnia Zompa sees life around her with increasingly mature eyes, leaving most of her childhood certainties behind her, the facade is lifted on the reality of her parent's relationship,aspirations and the adult world in general.

This is a great book, not much appears to happening while in reality a great deal is happening in Zinnia's world.