Cover Image: A Long Time Coming

A Long Time Coming

I thought this was well crafted, with unique characters and although it took me a little bit to get into it, it was a great read! One to add to your list.

This book was the perfect conclusion to this series. The cane brothers are all so lovable and it was nice to get to see breaker and his growth.

Meghan Quinn's "A Long Time Coming" delivers a classic romantic comedy premise – the best friend falling for the bride-to-be – with her signature humor and charm. However, while entertaining, the novel fails to fully capitalize on its potential, leaving readers with a somewhat uneven and predictable reading experience.

The story's strength lies in Quinn's ability to create likable and relatable characters. Breaker Cane, the loyal best friend turned reluctant "man-in-waiting," is an endearing protagonist whose increasing feelings for Lia are both humorous and heartfelt. Lia herself is a vibrant character, and the dynamics between the two friends-turned-potential-lovers are often delightful and authentic.

Quinn's writing style is breezy and engaging, infusing the narrative with plenty of witty banter and laugh-out-loud moments. The supporting cast, particularly the overbearing mother-in-law, Mrs. Beaver, provides ample opportunities for comedic situations and misunderstandings, keeping the pace brisk and the reader entertained.

However, the novel's predictability becomes its Achilles' heel. While the premise is ripe with potential for emotional depth and character growth, Quinn's execution often feels surface-level, relying heavily on well-worn tropes and clichés. The lack of genuine conflict or obstacles beyond the typical romantic comedy fare robs the story of its emotional resonance, making it difficult for readers to fully invest in the characters' journey.

Additionally, the pacing suffers from occasional lulls, and the resolution, while satisfying on a superficial level, feels somewhat rushed and lacking in the emotional payoff that the buildup promises.

Despite these shortcomings, "A Long Time Coming" remains an enjoyable and lighthearted read for fans of romantic comedies. Quinn's comedic timing and her ability to craft charming characters help elevate the material above its more predictable elements. While it may not break new ground in the genre, it delivers on its promise of a fun and entertaining escape.

Overall, Meghan Quinn's "A Long Time Coming" is a solid 3-star effort – a enjoyable romantic comedy that entertains but fails to truly soar due to its reliance on familiar tropes and a lack of depth in its execution. For readers seeking a breezy, humorous read without high expectations, this novel may just hit the spot.

This is the last in the series of Cane Brothers books. Each was a little better than the last. A Long Time Coming features Breaker and his best friend Lea. Lea is recently engaged and being railroaded by her mother in law to be with a fiance who doesn't seem to care. Lea asks Breaker to be her man of honor and help distract the mother in law. Breaker discovers along the way that he has always loved Lea.

I wasn't sure how this would go along with Meghan Quinn's spiciness with Lea being engaged but it all works itself out. There is a ton of spice from the spice queen! I loved Breaker's brothers but he has to be my favorite of the three. A little nerdy and such a sweetheart with a potty mouth. The perfect combination!

Thank you to NetGalley, Bloom Books and Meghan Quinn for the e-ARC of this book. This review is my own opinion.

I loved the banter and true friendship this book brought. The perfect recipe for a beautiful marriage. Quick, easy, entertaining, light & fluffy read

Many Meghan Quinn books are on Kindle Unlimited but this is my first one. I enjoyed it alot but be warned it is steamy

I was looking for something steamy and this did fit the bill (although the progression here was a little weird). It wasn’t my favorite of the genre but I enjoyed it. Before I can even type if out, I gotta say, what’s with the names? They’re terrible. Breaker? Ryot? Eww. Anyway, I like Breaker at first. He is sweet and nerdy and cute. But by the end he’s sort of obsessive and overbearing and doesn’t seem nerdy at all. Lia is needy and her morals are totally off. It’s a little perplexing how these two could be THAT close but never think it’s going to get romantic. Anyway, a little cringey but still enjoyable.

Oh my gosh this book was too freaking cute! I love this series so much! I loved Breaker, and their story was so swoon-worthy!

A Long Time Coming
by Meghan Quinn
My rating:
5/5
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Breaker and Lea have been best friends since she received an invite to a secret scrabble game competition in college. Lea is getting married to Brian and since her and Breaker have been best friends for years, he is going to be with her every step of the way as her Man of Honor. Their families always thought they had a connection, but Lea and Breaker always say they are just best friends.

Okay this was the third book in the Cane Brothers series and it was SO GOOD. I didn’t love the 2nd book in the series as much as I did the first and this one but oh my gosh, this was just perfection.

I loved the relationship between Breaker and Lea. I typically don’t love a friends to lovers trope but this one opened my eyes that I enjoy it more than I thought, but the writing has to be good. This delivered!

The slow burn!! The spice! I loved it all. Absolutely recommend this one!

Thank you netgalley for the ARC! You can read this one now!

wow. this book was so amazing!! i can't believe netgalley let me read this early .thank you so much! it was amazing and wonderful and fun and the characters were just so so so great!!!

I think out of all the three books this one was my favorite by far. I couldn’t really get into the first book but after reading the next two. I’m glad I didn’t give up on this series.
Tropes:
- Slow Burn
- Best Friends to Lovers
- Billionaire
- Dual POV
- ROM Com

The last Cane brother falls in love, actually, he was in love the whole time he just didn't know it. I loved this one, especially because it was so different than the previous two, the story was on a whole different level. I loved how the story between Breaker and Lia evolves and how they come to their special HEA.
I volunteered to review an ARC of this book for Netgelly

I would like to extend my gratitude to NetGalley and the publisher for providing an advance copy of this book. It’s been a pleasure reading and reviewing such a charming tale of love, friendship, and the unexpected paths our hearts can lead us on.

“A Long Time Coming” by Meghan Quinn is a delightful journey through the complexities of love and friendship. Quinn’s narrative is both witty and heartwarming, as she explores the theme of unrequited love with a fresh perspective. The story follows the protagonist, who finds himself falling for his best friend on the eve of her wedding. The ensuing chaos and emotional turmoil are depicted with humor and sensitivity, making the characters relatable and their experiences tangible.

Quinn’s writing shines in her ability to craft steamy romance that doesn’t shy away from the laugh-out-loud moments that life often presents. Her characters are well-developed, and their interactions are a testament to her skill in creating dynamic relationships that evolve over time. The book’s pacing is perfect, keeping readers engaged from start to finish with a blend of drama, comedy, and romance.

4 stars!

Meghan Quinn... you've done it again! Friends-to-lovers is not my favorite trope, but Quinn makes it work in "A Long Time Coming," the last book in her Cane Brothers series. Usually, I want to pull my hair out when two best friends that are so clearly smitten with one another don't tell each other when they realize are in love, but the slow burn between main character Breaker and Lia is sooooooooo good that it almost makes me reconsider my feelings on this trope. Breaker is honestly my favorite of the Cane brothers, probably because I'm also a huge nerdy geek just like him. I found him to be endlessly charming. I also loved that he didn't feel the need to flaunt his money like his brothers. The fact that Lia and Breaker met at a secret Scrabble society? Amazing. Their banter is perfection, their humor full of long-running jokes and funny nicknames. Their friend "date nights" typically include taco truck dinners complete with game show reruns. The wedding dress scene literally had me in a pile of goopy mush on the floor holding my breath. UGH, it was so freaking well-written. To the readers, they are obviously perfect for one another, but they just can't get there themselves. Every interaction Lia had with her fiance, Brian, who was wrong for her in every single way, made my skin crawl. It's so painfully obvious that he was not the man for her and that he was only getting married to please his horrible, awful, social-climbing mother! When your partner doesn't know even the most basic things about you, you're in danger, girl! I finished this book quickly because it was a super readable, easily digestible rom-com that had me hooked from the very first chapter. The chemistry between the characters was off the charts good, especially towards the last third of the book when the k1nk1ness flowsssss. I can't wait to read more of Meghan Quinn's books!

Thank you to NetGalley, Meghan Quinn, and SOURCEBOOKS Bloom Books for the complimentary ARC of this book. All opinions are my own. I was not compensated for this review.

Meghan Quinn is definitely one of the queens of spicy romance. This is the third book in the Cane brothers series. I loved the friends to lovers trope. This is a slow burn but it's worth the wait when it all comes together. This is adorably sweet, hilariously funny, so romantic, and it squeezed and tugged at my heart strings in that pleasurable, painful way I adore. I couldn't ask for anything more in a book. Breaker and Lia were both fantastic characters and I loved their connection and chemistry. If you want a swoon worthy book then this is for you. I would highly recommend this book and the other books in this series.

Thank you NetGalley and SOURCEBOOKS Bloom Books | Bloom Books for allowing me to read this ARC for my honest opinion.

This was an entertaining read!

It took a bit for me to get into, but it kept me interested once I got to a certain point. The characters were lovable, and getting to revisit some of the main characters of the previous books in the series was fun.

I enjoyed this one.

A series you must read if you haven't yet!!!!
I really did enjoy this book, and it was the perfect ending to this series.
When Breaker & Ophelia first met, their connection was instant but platonic. Now as they settle into their adult life, living next to each other and spending their free time together has become a norm. But everything is about to change since Lia has been roped into a quickie wedding with her boyfriend and Breaker has suddenly come to realise his feelings.
Thank you to NetGalley, Bloom Books, and Meghan Quinn for this arc. All thoughts are my own.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

I have to say, out of the three brothers I was the most interested in reading Breaker's story. He never quite fit the same description as his brothers and with the whole nerd story line I was interested in seeing how his romance played out. Ophelia did have me wanting to strangle her at times. Like girl, really, Brian??? He was the most vanilla bf/fiance I've ever read. A momma's boy to his very core. Why did it take Lia so long to not see how Breaker treated her like she walked on water?

Anywhoooo, once the engagement was called off, THANK GOD, their romance moves quick! Maybe a tad too quick? I would have liked to see more into their transformation from bff to bf/gf.

Absolutely loved this Cane brothers story! Breaker and Lia are so great together. From best friends to Breaker becoming Lia's Man-of-Honor to Breaker realizing he has feelings for Lia. Lia is content in getting married, but doesn't feel that deep connection to her fiance. You'll love this read! It's steamy and romantic and will give you all the feels!

loved this romance and how the characters changed through the story. also loved the friends and all of the interesting things that happened during the story. loved the growth of the main character and all of her trials .