Cover Image: Diary of a Dying Girl

Diary of a Dying Girl

Diary of a Dying Girl is a collection of Mallory Smith's unflinching diary entries about slowly dying of a terminal illness, Cystic Fibrosis. Many of her feelings were too difficult to share while alive so she kept them in a password-protected journal. Diagnosed at age three with an illness that attacks the internal organs, she lived to the fullest on borrowed time.

The title is what initially grabbed my attention with this new release. What could the diary entries of a dying girl be about? How honest are her journals? Will it help loved ones understand? Will her thoughts mirror mine? Not as a dying girl but as a girl living with a chronic illness.

Diary of a Dying Girl is full of happy and struggling moments. She writes about love, sex, volleyball, the environment, school, friends and family. Toward the end of the book are diary entries from loved ones that give more perspective to her illness, hospitalization and last days.

Mallory Smith passed away at 25 years old, two months after receiving a double lung transplant. Her words will live on in this memoir. It is beautifully written with the innocence of a young intelligent girl with legit fears and wisdom beyond her years.

Happy Early Pub Day! Diary of a Dying Girl will be available Tuesday, May 7.

Disclaimer: An advance copy was received directly from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. Opinions are my own and would be the same if I spent my hard-earned coins. ~LiteraryMarie

Enjoyed the format of being written in diary entries. A sad, emotional and inspiring story. Be sure to give this a try. Take you to the publisher and Net Galley for the opportunity to read.

#NetGalleyARC I really enjoyed this book and learned a lot from it. I highly enjoy reading about people and learning about their lives, especially when the story is told in their own words. I haven't read the original adaptation but I may now. A great and must read.

Thanks to the publishers at Random House Children's and NetGalley for letting me read this book and write a review. Mallory Smith's stories will continue to be told through her diary entries. The book is written in a diary format. It also shows how Mallory grew up with Cystic Fibrosis and how she manages it.

First of all, I loved the way this was written with the diary entries - I think it really helped us to get inside of Mallory's head and develop her character. This was a very informative and empowering read that I hope others will pick up to develop more inclusivity and compassion for others. Even if readers don't face CF on their own, they can still relate to the same social pressures and desires that Mallory does as a teen. Thanks so much for this ARC!

It was honestly a difficult read about a girl who has so much potential and receives so much love. Through her diary entries, we learn so much about her as she reveals her innermost thoughts and emotions. Her story serves as a reminder of the importance of embracing tough moments with courage and resiliencem Thank you NetGalley for the ARC.