Cover Image: Under the Palms

๐Ÿ“– 261 pages
๐—˜๐—บ๐—ผ๐—ท๐—ถ๐˜€: ๐ŸŒด๐Ÿ’ฐ๐Ÿ˜ฎ๐Ÿ˜ฑ
๐—ฃ๐˜‚๐—ฏ ๐—ฑ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฒ: 5/21/2024

๐Ÿ’š๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐˜ƒ๐—ถ๐—ฒ๐˜„ ๐˜๐—ถ๐—บ๐—ฒ๐Ÿ’š

Thank you @kairarouda for the #gifted copy! The @thrillerbookloversthepulse is lucky enough to review this one!

Dive back into the world of the powerful Kingsley family with the gripping sequel to BENEATH THE SURFACE. This second installment is a rollercoaster of scandal, intrigue, & drama that will keep you on the edge of your seat. Packed with action packed thrills, the story unfolds through multiple points of view, allowing you to delve into the minds of each character. If you love stories with over-the-top, malicious characters seeking vengeance, then this is the book for you. Get ready for a wild ride!

๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜€๐˜๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜† ๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—น๐˜‚๐—ฑ๐—ฒ๐˜€:
โ—ฝ๏ธ scandal & dark secrets
โ—ฝ๏ธ a luxurious beach resort
โ—ฝ๏ธ a powerful family

๐—ฃ๐—น๐—ผ๐˜: Under Paige's leadership, the Kingsleys gather for a retreat at a lavish Laguna Beach resort. Richard Kingsley's sons, John and Ted, vie for succession, with Ted being Paige's estranged husband. Paige allies with Richard's ex-wife and daughter, holding a secret that could disrupt the family legacy. As power struggles intensify, the family faces threats beyond the Santa Ana winds. Amidst greed and betrayal, no Kingsley is safe.

Thanks to #NetGalley and #Thomas&Mercer for the book #UnderThePalms by #KairaRouda. Beware the Santa Anna Winds. They are dangerous and so is the Kingsley family. There is a fight for the CEO and President position of the family business. And murder is not beyond their grasp. I could not put this hook down. Amazing!

The crazy Kingsley family is back with more drama than ever!
Richard Kingsley heart is failing and the family will do anything to have a place in the company. With his daughter in law, Paige, as current CEO, the sons will stop at nothing to get her out of there.
The woman of the family join as a team to take them down.
This book is full of unlikeable characters and you better have the popcorn ready for their drama andโ€ฆ..murder?!?!
Be sure to check out and read the first book of this crazy family, Beneath The Surface.

Even though this is book #2 in the Kingsleyโ€™s series,it can be read as a stand alone, as the author does a good job of incorporating the important details of the first book!

Everyone is shocked after the announcement on the yacht that Richard Kingsley, CEO of his own company, named Paige Kingsley, his daughter-in-law, as the President of the company, instead of his own sons. In the first 8 months, Paige has divorced Ted and has gotten the company involved with giving more to charities. Paige feels successful in her new role.

Everyone is invited to attend The First Annual Executive Global Enterprises Executive Retreat at Twins Palms Resorts in Laguna Beach. What are Richardโ€™s motives for this retreat? Will Paige remain as President? Will the past catch-up to them? Is it what it seems?

Kaira Roudaโ€™s writing just draws you in from the start! I loved all the twists and turns. Just when you think you figured it out, she throws in a curveball! The drama will keep you turning the pages to find out who will lead the company. A wonderful book to take on vacation!

Thanks to Thomas & Mercer, I was provided an ARC of Under the Palms by Kaira Rouda via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. #UnderthePalms #NetGalley

4.5 stars rounded up to 5

Under the Palms continues the saga of The Kingsley's and what a story it is.

Kaira Rouda has knocked this one out of the park.

There is murder, backstabbing, secrets, jealousy, betrayal, plotting and conniving.

What more could you want.

Did I mention crazy?

Paige is the best, Ted and John are just nasty and the patriarch Richard takes the cake.

Twists and turns , a storm is brewing with the Santa Ana winds and the atmosphere is tense.

That's all I am saying .

Get your copy and hope no one disturbs you as you get lost in the Kingsley world.

What will happen next?

Thanks to NetGalley and Thomas & Mercer for a compelling read.

"๐‘ป๐’‰๐’† ๐’‡๐’–๐’•๐’–๐’“๐’† ๐’Š๐’” ๐’ƒ๐’“๐’Š๐’ˆ๐’‰๐’• ๐’˜๐’‰๐’†๐’ ๐’˜๐’† ๐’‚๐’๐’ ๐’˜๐’๐’“๐’Œ ๐’•๐’๐’ˆ๐’†๐’•๐’‰๐’†๐’“.
๐‘น๐’†๐’Ž๐’†๐’Ž๐’ƒ๐’†๐’“, ๐’•๐’†๐’‚๐’Ž๐’˜๐’๐’“๐’Œ ๐’Ž๐’‚๐’Œ๐’†๐’” ๐’•๐’‰๐’† ๐’…๐’“๐’†๐’‚๐’Ž ๐’˜๐’๐’“๐’Œ."

Special thanks to @thrillerbookloversthepulse @kairarouda @amazonpublishing and @netgalley for this #gifted eARC.

โžก๏ธ swipe for synopsis ๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿผ

MY REVIEW:
โญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธ

The kingsleys are back at it again , vying for their fathers attention, love, and approval - oh and money, of course. Don't think they aren't bringing their normal dysfunctional selves to the table either because it's the same old shenanigans-different location.
This time, Paige is in charge and clawing to keep her role as president while John and Ted are dying to oust her. There's a special appearance at the twin palms retreat by a familiar face, and of course , everything goes off course - which is always expected in their presence.

Of course, this retreat is full of surprises and MURDER, but who is the culprit, and who keeps sending Paige threatening messages?

All will be revealed in the shocking ending. - which of course I can't spoil!!!!

Definitely check out this continuation in the Kingsley drama!

PUB DATE:
May 21, 2024

QOTD โ“๏ธโ‰๏ธโ“๏ธ Have you ever stayed at an all-inclusive resort?
Where at?

AOTD - I went to Mexico w my family and fiancรฉ one year and LOVED it.

#mysteryandthrills #thrillerbooklovers #thrillerbookloversthepulse #thekingsleys #kairarouda #underthepalms #thrilleraddict #bookbuzz #upcomingrelease #upcomingthriller

A fun, fast paced read about the family you love to hate.
Under The Palms is the second book in the Kingsley family series and while I accidentally read this one before the first, I can say it still kept my attention, keeping me interested in seeing where the rest of the story will take us and , more importantly, Paige.
You can check out my more in-depth spoiler free review here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUqj-u8s_qw

This is the second book that has the wealthy Kingsley family of Southern California behaving badly. In the first book, BENEATH THE SURFACE, there is trouble on the family yacht. In the second book, the family is at a corporate retreat and the Santa Ana winds are blowing in trouble.

I love the multiple points of view in this book. There is even a pivotal character that had no voice in the first book that gets his own chapters in book two.

You can read this one as a stand-alone, but these books are quick reads and itโ€™s worth reading book one to get a real deal feel at this scheming family.

Bring on book three!!

Are you looking for a delicious, easy to read, action packed thriller? If so, pick up this series. Beneath the Surface is the first book. They are both about the Kingsley Family, a horrible cast of unsavory characters that you looove to hate. This book is told from multiple POVโ€™s in the present. The chapters are short and kept my attention, there is enough going on throughout the whole book to keep me guessing!

Richard Kingsley is the king of the world, rich, successful, powerful but unfortunately he is sick and getting older. He names his daughter in law Paige as his successor. But that makes his two sons, Ted (Paigeโ€™s husband) and John angry. While Paige is watching her back and trying to protect her new found position, all the Kingsley clan (her father in law, husband, his brother and Uncle Walter) all want to take her job and will stop at nothing to get it. Add in a crazy ex wife with a mafia baby daddy, conniving girlfriend desperate to save her family and marry rich, jewel thieving sister, an endless list of characters that will have you hating and rooting for the Kingsley family. But who do you trust?

Oh and did I mention they are at a perfect resort for a business retreat during crazy Santa Ana winds and a wildfire? This book will keep you on the edge of your seat. I really loved the inserts from the OC Scoop. Every couple of chapters we got some gossip from the media throughout the book, this was a great touch.

๐ŸŒด Thank you to NetGalley, Thomas & Mercer, the author and Thriller Book Lovers for the opportunity to read this book. My opinions are honest and my own!

Thank you to @thrillerbookloversthepulse for having me on this tour!

Ms. Rouda never disappoints! The Kingsleys are an interesting brood for sure....I can't say I particularly liked any of the characters and they pretty much remind me of everything I hate about Hollywood and reality TV, but Rouda is one of those authors who can write despicable characters and still deliver a heck of a story. Talk about rich people behaving badly!

I will say as well, that Rouda did a great job of filtering in details from book 1 because I read this as a standalone without having read the first book and still thoroughly enjoyed it.

Additional thanks to NetGalley and Thomas & Mercer for the digital review copy!

The twisty continuation of the first book by Kaira Rouda. You definitely need to read the first one before this one.

The family continues to try to shuffle for control of the empire. The backstabbing, manipulation and drama are on every page. It feels like this family can only think about to throw someone under the bus and kiss Dad's(Richard's) butt. As Paige fights to keep the presidency, Richard, the patriarch, is faced with his own demons of the fast.

The question you keep asking yourself is - Who is going to win in the end? And it takes until the end to find out!

I do want to preface this by saying I did not read the first book. Obviously I think that would have made a lot of the family dysfunctional relationships and drama clear from the start, however I wasnโ€™t completely lost and was able to get a pretty clear picture quickly with this family mess!

I will say this book wasnโ€™t one that gripped me and I found myself having a hard time connecting to it. A huge part of that was every character was extremely unlikeable and unhingedโ€ฆ. The crazy wealthy Kingsley family was returning with drama , secrets, and everyone had an agendaโ€ฆ their own success no matter what it took. From the previous book the Father, Richard, had appointed Paige his ex daughter in law as the CEO of the big company and nobody was happy about itโ€ฆ the two brothers.. exes , sisters , enter all the crazies to the vacation that was supposed to be pleasantโ€ฆ. I quickly realized with this family and cast of horrible characters. This vacation was going to be anything but pleasant.

This book had a lot of the crazy family dynamic drama if that is something that intrigues you then this is a book that would be good for you however, like I had stated because I couldnโ€™t connect with any of the characters because I didnโ€™t like any of them I couldnโ€™t get into this book there was a lot going on And at the same time it felt repetitive. I just didnโ€™t enjoy this one overall as much as I had hoped that I would however, itโ€™s not to say that this is not going to be a book for others that enjoy that type of crazy, twisty, evil family, dynamic drama. I also quickly realized what was the outcome of the ending way sooner than I thought I would and that didnโ€™t give me much motivation to want to keep reading although, like I said, the drama at times was entertaining.

Thank you to the Author, Netgalley, and Thomas & Mercer for the ARC!

The second book in this series, and it was so much better than the first. While in the first book, it felt like nothing really happened until the end. This one had shit going on from the start.
Another book filled with the unlikeable but very rich Kingsleys, who appear to have it all. But as always, the more you have, the more you want. Each family member is intent on getting to the top, not caring who they step on to get there.
I enjoyed this one so much more than the first, and I'm excited to see where the story goes in the future.

I love a good psychological thriller with some rich family drama. The Kingsleys are back, and everyone is still plotting to be the CEO of the family company. Paige is currently the CEO, but brother John and Ted want her out. Of course, Richard, the narcissistic father, hasn't really made up his mind and I think he just enjoys seeing them all fight about it. His company, his power, his decision. Everyone is sooooo unlikable in this book! But I was definitely there for it all.

If you haven't read the first book in the series, I really recommend it because it sets the stage for the second book. What a crazy family! A great sequel to the Kingsley family drama!

The last time we saw the Kingsleyโ€™s, they were reeling from a disastrous family yacht trip. Richard Kinglsey was looking for a family member to appoint president of his company, Kingsleyโ€™s, and he decided to appoint Paige, his daughter-in-law.

Paige has been doing the job for some time now and thinks sheโ€™s doing a great job but John, the oldest son, and Ted, Paigeโ€™s estranged husband, are gunning for her job. When the biggest deal in company history goes wrong, Paige may be the one to take the fall even though she simply signed off on the deal. Hoping to raise spirits, Paige has set-up a weekend team-building retreat at a luxurious Laguna Beach resort. When Paige senses that Richard is looking to dethrone her as president, the weekend quickly runs off the rails. When Richardโ€™s ex-wife, Serena, and Richardโ€™s wild daughter, Sibley, show up at the resort, tensions begin to grow even hotter. The Santa Anna winds are howling and stirring up more than just dirt. How many of the Kingsleyโ€™s can make it out of this weekend alive?

I hate to say it, but this book was a miss for me. I was hoping that the sequel may have been a better match based on the higher reviews, but I still could not seem to connect to the characters. I think this series just may not be a match for me. The story switches back and forth between the points of view of many of the family members. Each perspective is entertaining enough but there is something missing in the depth of the characters for me. While I typically have no problem with unlikable characters (a Kaira Rouda specialty), I do believe that the characters need to have something interesting about their story to draw you in but I didnโ€™t find that with any of the characters in this book unfortunately. I will definitely continue to read what Kaira Rouda writes but I may call it quits for the Kingsley series. This one just wasnโ€™t for me :)

Thank you to Thomas & Mercer and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

This was the perfect 2nd book for this series - a murder, a natural disaster, and more backstabbing characters than you know what to do with! Can't wait to see this interpreted into live action and cannot wait for the 3rd installment!

This is the sequel to Below the Surface, which I really enjoyed, when we met the messed up family for the first time! This go around, they are holding a business retreat at a 5 star hotel and problems will arise as always! The unscrupulous Kingsley family returns to make more bad choices and to exhibit more bad behavior in this follow up to Beneath the Surface. In Under the Palms, Richard Kingsleyโ€™s company, now run by his daughter-in-law, Paige, is off to an executive retreat at the posh Twin Palms Resort in Laguna Beach. This is a family that you love to hate! Theyโ€™re horrible people who do horrible things in the name of greed. Rouda wrote such a compelling story and I was completely sucked in from the first page. This was a book I didnโ€™t want to put down, and the short chapters made it east to fly through. The multiple points of view worked really well, and that was a great way to get to know each of the characters individually as well as seeing the family dynamics.

Thank you to NetGalley, Thomas and Mercer for the opportunity of reading Under the Palms by Kaira Rouda.

The Kingsley's are back and what a story they have to tell!
I'm not going to spoil anything, all I have to say I hope this book will be developed into a movie as Beneath the Surface!

For anyone who want to read this and has not read Beneath the surface, read that first we get to know the Kingsley's a bit better, even though there is a family tree in Under the Palms.

Again, thank you NetGalley, Thomas and Mercer for this ARC.

I have loved this authors, other book, so I was really excited for this one, and actually moved it up my TBR to be able to get to it earlier. However, I was so disappointed in the really simplistic writing and character development in this book. I didnโ€™t really like or care for any of the characters,, and maybe that was the point, but I think in order to get a reader to keep reading there has to be somebody youโ€™re rooting for in this. I figured it out pretty early on what was happening, but the constant mention of the Santa Ana wins, and the impending fire really didnโ€™t seem to add much to the story the way it was supposed to. Overall just a disappointing read.

This is a worthwhile novel, very suspenseful, filled with secrets and lies and surprises that kept me glued to the very first page and held me there until the final revelation.

Thank you to Kaira Rouda, NetGalley and Thomas & Mercer for the arc of this book.