Cover Image: ADHD Girls to Women

ADHD Girls to Women

As someone who strongly suspects that I have ADHD myself, only realising as an adult, it has been very eye-opening to see the information available here which comprehensively looks at how it presents it girls and women.

it was really interesting reading about ADHD in females - the differences and misconceptions that are out there.

I picked this book to read as I truly believe that I have ADHD (32F) and have been wondering if I should go to my doctor. This book pretty much confirmed I should at least bring it up in conversation on my next appointment.

It was interesting to read abut others lives with ADHD and how they were finding it all.

The one thing I will say though: It's a little long. All the information is relevant, but I feel like it needs to be broken up in some way. Its not only aimed at people who may know someone with ADHD, but also those with ADHA themselves. I was only a few pages in and there was just so much to read I lost concentration.

A much needed primer about ADHD, a condition in which women and girls are disproportionately underdiagnosed. As a result, they slip through the cracks and don’t get the help they need. As an ADHD woman who grew up in a family full of other people with ADHD, this is important to me.

This is a comprehensive, well-researched book that gets specific about the impact and implications of ADHD diagnoses for girls and women. This oft-overlooked population deserves to have research and resources dedicated to them, and Dr. Lotta Borg Skoglund is part of the community looking to do just that. She spends a lot of time defining what ADHD is and discussing the neuroscience of it. I appreciated the consideration of hormonal factors too; however, I think the language got a bit mucky at times. I'm not sure if that was something that was lost in translation, but being more deliberate in separating hormones and anatomy from gender identity would have made this section more inclusive. It also would have deepened the conversation about sociocultural and gendered factors contributing to the dearth of knowledge around ADHD in girls and women. Skoglund provides short vignettes from patients to illustrate her points of how ADHD affects quality of life and functioning. This serves as a great informational resource. Now I'd love to read her impressions about what clinical interventions have been the most useful in her experience and what those of us on the practitioner/professional side can do to support our clients/patients with ADHD.

A Great book to help girls with ADHD who grow up to be women with ADHD. Because it never goes away you just learn to function with it.

I wish I had liked this book more. As someone raising a daughter diagnosed with anxiety, OCD, and inattentive ADD, this book peaked my interest. I often wonder myself if I too have ADD to a degree, and was I over loooked? It had some interesting thought provoking ideas, and pointed out many areas where study is lacking in this area. Unfortunately I was left feeling a bit like, but where do we go from here? How do we get those answers instead of just asking them? I think I was hoping for a bit more about HOW to cope with it, and less explanation as to what ADHD is.. As someone who has a hard time getting through this type of book, I didn't find this one much easier to get through. I feel bad saying that, as I can imagine how much work goes into a book like this. But unfortunately it read very textbook to me. While I appreciated the real life stories sprinkled throughout, they often just ended without an explanation of what we were go take from the story. While it was meant to give hope, it often depressed me instead. It made ADHD sound like a horrible condition to have, and didn't list very many solutions in great detail. I think that is what I would have liked to see more of in this book. I wanted more hope, more success stories, and more about what to do and where to go next. I want to thank NetGalley and Jessica Kingsley Publishers for an eARC version of this book to review. This review expresses my own personal unbiased thoughts and opinions.

This book is well written, and so different from other books on ADHD. It explores real life stories of women with ADHD, highlighting the downfalls of the current diagnostic proceedures in helping support women. It also helps describe the experience of having ADHD as a woman perfectly.

ADHD Girls to Women is such an informative read! It really puts it in such a relatable perspective. As someone who was diagnosed later on in life, I found this book filled with knowledge that brought comfort.

This book is easy to read but very informative about the impact of ADHD at different stages of a woman's life. It includes real life stories from a variety of women.

‘ADHD Girls to Women’ is the book on ADHD that I wish I had about three years ago when I received my late diagnosis at 30. Instead of a how-to guide that is supposed to solve all my ADHD problems (which is impossible & no, I don’t just need to get better at organizing), this books exists to help explain why I had to go through most of my life (at this point) without an answer as to why I always felt broken & different. This books tries to explain why most girls & women receive late diagnoses, or maybe never get diagnosed at all. And I use the word “try” because, as mentioned in the book, the research studies in these areas are either lacking or just don’t exist at all. It includes what scientific information is out there & supplements it with first-hand reports from those the author has worked with & studied.

By the end of the first chapter, I had already cried a few times - tears of grief, joy, & relief.. This book gives me the language to identify & express what I’ve been feeling for most of my life. It helps me feel seen & understood in a way that no other book or article on ADHD has made me feel. This all sounds very dramatic, but I wouldn’t hesitate to state that this book has already been life-changing for me. I’m planning to share this book with my partner &, maybe, with my mother, who has two daughters with ADHD but somehow doesn’t think this is something that she might want to look into herself.

If you are someone with ADHD or if you love & support someone with ADHD, I would HIGHLY recommend this book. It won’t solve anything - because ADHD is not something that can be “cured” - but it will give you incredibly important insight & context. While I initially read this as an ebook, I have already purchased a physical copy for myself & I have since re-read the book in audio format, which is very well done & a format I would also recommend.

Thank you to Jessica Kingsley Publishers & NetGalley for providing a digital advanced copy of this book. All thoughts & opinions expressed are my own.

Ironically I found this very hard to get through as it’s presented in a very dry, academic manner.

It’s good information but requires a lot of attention to digest.

As a child and adolescent therapist, I am always looking for new ways to help my clients. A common scenario that I often encounter is how stereotyped ADHD is between genders. This title caught my attention because it is targeted for girls-woman and knowledge is limited for the masses. The cover is also beautiful so that definitely caught my eye.

I would have liked to see more information on the treatment side, especially with connecting possible medication management back to the biological side of things.

I am impressed with how in-depth the author goes from a biological standpoint - structures of the brain and emotions, to a socioemotional standpoint and how this can impact one throughout the life stages and how development is different along with implications of ADHD throughout one's life. I also appreciate the inclusion of recommended reading as one can continue to grow their knowledge base around this topic.

All in all, This is a book I will definitely be utilizing in my practice and I recommend it to any woman, or clinician yearning to learn more about ADHD in girls and women.

I read ADHD GIRLS TO WOMEN by Lotta Borg Skoglund as I feel like I have many female acquaintances and friends who are coming to an ADHD diagnosis later in life as a way to be more informed and educated on this topic. I would definitely classify this book under the umbrella of pop psychology, as each chapter was a digestible overview of the science behind this condition. And while this book was a short read, it unfortunately left me wanting more - I understand that the research on ADHD in females is lacking, but there didn't seem to be much commentary of where we go from here. I enjoyed the real-life clinical vignettes, and wish they would have anchored the beginning of the chapters as a way to introduce rather than be scattered throughout. I also feel like there could have been more specificity as to how we can better diagnose ADHD in women and the differences in symptoms between females versus males. Another thing I wanted to highlight is that there were a few grammatical and spelling errors throughout, but this may be due to the nature of this book being translated.

What a great, informative quick book about how ADHD presents differently and affects females differently than the stereotypical male archetype we normally look towards when considering the disorder.
As someone who has suddenly found myself in a full-time parenting role of a nine-year-old girl with ADHD, this collection of research and anecdotes helped me make sense of many things I couldn't previously. I believe it will help me to stay patient and have important conversations with this little girl in my life as well.

An interesting read but ironically as someone with AuDHD, it was not as accessible as expected. There isn't anything to break the text up to give the reader a break. It was a good read, but it took some work. Left me with some interesting things to think about but I think if you are new to this kind of book you would be better off starting with something more explanatory and kinder to the brain.

An interesting read ; but not as accessible as expected. Definitely worth reading but perhaps better served by having read a more introductory text before approaching this one. Overall, some interesting insights and learnings to take onboard.

This book contributes to addressing the need for publicly accessible knowledge about ADHD symptomatology in the context of individuals born female, which is a largely underrepresented and unknown space.

Still to this day, many people think of ADHD and think of that one extremely hyperactive kid they knew in school, unaware of predominately inattentive presentations of ADHD often observed in females.

This is a great resource for those who have received a diagnosis themselves, suspect a diagnosis or want to better understand how ADHD may be impacting the functioning of women in their lives.

This is an incredibly accessible book full of studies, data, first-person accounts, and so much knowledge. It is very eye-opening. So much of what is shared in this book only scratches the surface of the unique experience of girls/women living with ADHD – many of whom never get diagnosed, or receive a diagnosis later in life.

*A quick note: this book mostly refers to girls/women in terms of sex assigned at birth, therefore please be aware of that going into this and note that for that reason, it’s not as comprehensive and could be triggering to some.

Some personal takeaways:
- ADHD is characterized by two key domains: inattentiveness and hyperactivity/impulsivity. We tend to think of the latter only.
- The term “attention deficit and hyperactivity disorder” is quite misleading… ADHD is also: difficulties with executive attention and function, difficulties with controlling and regulating cognitive and motivational processes, etc.
- I found the sections on hormones, cognitive function (or dysfunction), aging, relationships, health, and neurodiversity, so enlightening.

I truly recommend this to anyone who may be curious to learn more for themselves, for a family member, or a patient/student. It is a wonderful, short, and easy-to-read resource.

(Many thanks to NetGalley and Jessica Kingley Publishers for the eARC in exchange for an honest review.)

Thank you to Jessica Kingsley Publishers and NetGalley for the advanced copy.
I absolutely recommend "ADHD Girls to Women" to any woman recently diagnosed with or suspecting ADHD. As a woman diagnosed late in life, this book REALLY resonated with me, offering insights into how ADHD uniquely affects women that my doctors never mentioned.
Reading this book, I was constantly making connections between my quirks and ADHD, making it a strange sort of soul searching experience but in a good way.
The way this book was written is definitely adhd friendly in my opinion, the combination of research and anecdotes in more of a conversational tone made it feel less daunting than and more interesting!

In ADHD Girls to Women: Getting on the Radar, Lotta Borg Skoglund addresses an issue that is not talked about enough. She discusses how treatment for adhd is based on the male form and how females are diagnosed further in life or not diagnosed at all.
Even though she talks about a medical condition, the writing is very simple to understand.
I loved that the book is not just theoretical and gives a lot of real life stories from people with adhd. Even though I don’t have adhd I related to many of her entries and it made me feel understood and it led to better understanding of what I was feeling.