Cover Image: ADHD Girls to Women

ADHD Girls to Women

I highly recommend Skoglund's book ADHD Girls to Women to any woman who has recently been diagnosed with ADHD or suspect she may have ADHD. This was a topic of particular interest to me since I was only diagnosed this year as an adult (even though both of my brothers were diagnosed in elementary school).

ADHD Girls to Women provides a survey of the different ways in which ADHD affects women. Some of the information applies to all individuals with ADHD, but the focus is on women because it often is treated and can manifest differently in our society than with men, and is generally under-diagnosed in women. The book is conversational in tone, combining research with anecdotes and quotes from particular patients, which made for a quick read.

It was a peculiar experience to read this book and realize that certain things about me that I've always considered strange or abnormal were are likely connected to my ADHD. However uncomfortable, I ultimately found this to be a helpful and somewhat comforting read.

Kudos to Skoglund and team for translating the book from Swedish to English, and thank you to Jessica Kingsley Publishers and NetGalley for the advanced readers copy!

ADHD Girls to Women is packed with information and case studies.

I've been curious about ADHD (and ADD) and knew very little about it. I highly recommend ADHD Girls to Women if you are curious about it, especially if you are wondering about it with a female in mind.

Thank you to NetGalley and Jessica Kingsley Publishers for approving my request to read the advance read copy of ADHD Girls to Women in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to Lotta Borg Skoglund for writing this book, as it seems that very little with ADHD is available for women. Nice reference material listings at the end of the book.

I was shocked to learn (at the end of the book that this seems to be translated from Swedish). Nicely done.

"ADHD Girls to Women" by Lotta Borg Skoglund is an absolute game-changer! Skoglund, drawing from her expertise as a clinical psychologist, navigates the intricate journey of females with ADHD with unparalleled insight. This book is a beacon of understanding for those who've felt lost in a world that often overlooks the unique challenges faced by ADHD girls and women.

Skoglund skillfully weaves together personal stories, research findings, and practical strategies, creating a guide that's both informative and incredibly relatable. From childhood struggles to adult triumphs, the author addresses the multifaceted aspects of ADHD, highlighting the strengths often overshadowed by societal misconceptions.

What sets this book apart is its emphasis on empowerment. Skoglund not only delves into the complexities of ADHD but also provides actionable advice on harnessing strengths and navigating obstacles. Her compassionate tone and genuine understanding make it a must-read for anyone seeking guidance or looking to support a loved one with ADHD.

"ADHD Girls to Women" is a beacon of hope, fostering a sense of community and self-acceptance. Skoglund's work is a testament to the power of knowledge and empathy in transforming lives. Highly recommended!

Informative, well written, backed up by research. Liked how there were stories relating to each section as well. Felt like I could see myself at times.

Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️/5

Well another book about neurodivergent women that made me both feel so seen and so called out. 😗 A warning for folks, there was quite a bit of discussion of sex assigned at birth. They used compassionate language and talked mostly about socialization of women and girls, but if SAB is triggering for you, this book might not be the best fit.

I felt like this book made the neuroscience so accessible and I like the way the book went through different life stages and elements of life. It was also incredibly validating and compassionate for folks that are struggling with major life functions, always relating it back to the fact that ADHD brains are simply not built for certain tasks. The chapter on medication and other treatments was very helpful for me and just encouraged me to continue on my treatment journey. Overall, a really helpful and interesting read!

An insightful look into ADHD especially for girls. Will use in my professional life. Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for letting me review this book.

I have to admit, I'm not diagnosed with ADHD, yet. However, whenever I read things about ADHD they make so much sense to me. This book is so informative and is sorely needed by a community who is often diagnosed much later in life. This book has so many great stories and provides practical advice and strategies for those with ADHD and their friends and family. It's a bit more academic than I originally thought it would be, but that just means I had to take a bit more time with it.

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with an eARC of this book. However, all thoughts an opinions are my own.

Encountering a book that speaks directly to the challenges of late-diagnosed ADHD in women is an enlightening and empowering experience. This particular book stands out as a beacon of hope and insight. Unlike many others, it goes beyond theoretical discussions, bringing to light a rich tapestry of personal stories from women and girls who have lived with ADHD. These narratives collectively piece together a comprehensive and relatable picture of the condition.

For someone like me, who only understood her struggles through the lens of an ADHD diagnosis much later in life, this book is a revelation. It offers clarity and validation to those who might feel lost or misunderstood, struggling with everyday tasks that seem straightforward for others. It's precious for women who might be on the brink of discovering their relationship with ADHD, as well as for their families and friends.

This book is more than just a guide; it's a comforting voice that assures you that you're not alone. It provides practical advice and strategies not only for those with ADHD but also for their support systems. It aims to build bridges of understanding and cooperation, making life with ADHD manageable and fulfilling.

Thank you to the publisher for the eARC!

There was a lot to like about this book. As a woman raising two AFAB children in a household full of neurodivergence, seeing the experiences on paper was amazing. So many times the narratives struck home and the well researched explanations of why ADHD brains behave this way was enlightening. Compared to how much of ADHD diagnosis and treatment occurs here in the US, focusing almost entirely on the experience of white boys, this approach to understanding and managing symptoms feels light years ahead.

However, and here is where it becomes only a middling book, some of the information felt surprisingly dated. The entire book is strictly binary when it comes to gender and treats sex and gender as one synonymous entity. I will grant that this may be an issue of translation (I don't speak enough languages to know how the use of the singular "they" is evolving worldwide), but it felt very glaring. Adding in the occasional reference to studies that are pretty commonly known as outdated and/or poorly designed (do people still think the Marshmallow Test is a real thing?) and the book loses some appeal.

I can't say this would be a bad addition to a Neurodivergence Reading list, but it should be read with an eye to some shortcomings. Overall, I enjoyed the book, found much of it to be informative and have already recommended it to some of my parenting cohort.

As the mother of 4 kids, one girl and 3 boys, all of which have been diagnosed with ADHD/ADD, I found this book to be a good read.
My daughter took a lot longer to diagnose and has been very different from her brothers in how she presents. Now at 20, we’re finally at a decent point with her medication and therapy.
A worthwhile read for all women!

All Rise for the young women living with ADHD. This book is for us, delving into the history of misdiagnosing women and girls as well as how ADHD impacts women differently and how this comes down not only to socialization but also to the roles placed upon us. Personally, as someone who was diagnosed when she was still in elementary school, I too was also given the speech about how rare it was for a girl to have ADHD and that I was undercover in my experiences. However, Skoglund proves years of misinformation wrong by showing the reader that ADHD does not care about sex or gender and effects people equally.

A useful read for people who either are women with (or who think they may have) AD(H)D or have such women in their lives. A lot of it deals with the subjective experiences of those women; not being one, I can't comment on whether those parts are effective (in the sense of, "oh I feel seen" or "wait, that doesn't describe me at all" -- or, for that matter, if feeling a part doesn't apply to you would make you feel better, by suggesting you don't have ADHD, or worse, by making it feel like it's missed your experience). And, it's not clear to me whether the points this book makes are old hat to any woman (with ADHD or not) who has already been engaging with her own psychology through therapy or psychiatry. Its main thesis, though, is more or less that ADHD is under-diagnosed and under-treated in women and is too often either mistaken for anxiety, depression, or another of a panoply of mental health conditions, or is a genuine comorbidity with those conditions yet is ignored or missed. If nothing else, it's worthwhile to amplify that message to people.

As an adult women diagnosed with ADHD later in life then I would have liked, this book made me feel seen and heard, and not like something is wrong with me. Very insightful and informative, and I would absolutely recommend!

Thank you NetGalley and Jessica Kingsley Publishers for this ebook in exchange for an honest review.

Translated books are a hit or miss situation. This was thankfully a good translation. This book was a decent source of information, and I'm glad I had the opportunity to read it. There were some outdated and condescending terms/language, but it is definitely worth the read.

I was diagnosed with ADHD as a kid, and it was a big issue growing up because I struggled a lot during school so my mother got me all the help she could get me and being herself a Psychologist helped a lot. We never talked about this, to a point my sisters never knew I was diagnosed as a kid until now, they just thought I was struggling in school and that was it.

As an adult, I started noticing there is not much about ADHD in adults and have been looking for things to help me out, because I still have it, and it affects me differently now than it did as a kid.

This book is the perfect handbook for this.

As a woman who only got her ADHD diagnosis later in life, I've got to say, stumbling upon a book like this is a breath of fresh air. It's like finding a treasure map for making life better despite having this pesky condition. What's cool about this book is that it doesn't just talk in theory; it dishes out loads of real-life stories about girls and women who've dealt with ADHD. It's like a big puzzle, and these stories help you see the whole picture.

Before I knew I had ADHD, I used to think something was seriously wrong with me. Struggling to do things that seemed simple for others made me feel pretty dumb. So, I'm super stoked that this book could potentially be a game-changer for other girls who suspect they might have ADHD. It might also be a lifeline for folks who have loved ones dealing with the same disorder.

In a nutshell, this book is like a friendly hand on your shoulder, saying, "You're not alone, and there are ways to rock life with ADHD." It's not just for us ADHD peeps; it's also a handy guide for friends and family who want to understand and support us better. It's all about getting in the know and making life better together.

*Thank you to NetGalley, Lotta Borg Skoglund and Jessica Kingsley Publishers for providing the eARC in exchange for a review, but all thoughts are my own*

This was such a great read, so informative and catered to the right audience, with a mix of informative and sympathetic text. Have already recommended this book to a friends, it was an incredible book.

Great resource for those suffering from ADHD with a ficus in women. So happy to acquire and share this and hopefully help some people out!