OH MY GOD! This book needs to come with a warning to not start after 8pm because you will be up all night. I wish ‘Listen for the Lie’ podcast was real. I’d be their #1 fan! This was such a good story told in a unique way.
Lucy and Savvy were best friends in a small town. Then one morning Lucy is found wondering down the road and Savvy is dead. Lucy can’t remember anything from the entire day and their small town has decided she’s guilty of murdering her best friend.. Even though the police didn’t bring the case. Years later she ends up back in town for the first time since. Following her journey back in her small home town while a podcaster is interviewing the entire town trying to solve Savvy’s murder was so fun. I already know this a going to be one of my top thrillers for the year. Even though this is a thriller, there were still parts that were so funny and every Office reference was appreciated!
Not only did I love the story but the narrators killed this! Even the podcast had theme music. I loved everything about this book and audiobook.
Note: Lucy’s grandmother is my favorite character I’ve read about in a very long time.

Pub date - March 5th, 2024. Thank you Netgalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

4.5⭐️ Everyone thinks Lucy killed her friend Savannah. Found wandering the streets covered in her friends blood, and with no memory of the event herself, the community had all but found Lucy guilty of Savvy’s murder. Years later, true crime podcast host of “Listen for the Lie”, Ben Owens, comes to town to reinvestigate the unsolved murder. When Lucy is forced to return to her hometown and the life she left behind, she must face what it means to get to the truth about what really happened to her friend.

This story is incredibly engaging and unique as it tackles true crime from the podcast standpoint. I found it amazing that this book has me creeped out one second and laughing my butt off the next, as the author uses dark humor sprinkled throughout in the most perfect way. Each of the characters were fully fleshed out and relatable (well minus one maybe), and I was hooked almost from the start. At one point, I felt myself wanting to race through to find out what exactly had happened.

My only criticism, and what kept this book from being a 5 star read for me, is that the middle section of the book felt repetitive and that slowed the pacing down for a bit. However, that said, this is a worthy read, especially given how fresh and unique it is.

Of note, this is great on audio, however, I would recommend reading the physical or ebook alongside it. There are quite a few characters and families to keep straight, along with multiple timelines, and I think having both formats helps.

Read if you like:
•unique books
•podcasts
•dark humor
•twisty reads
•true crime plot line
•the night swim by Megan Goldin
•none of this is true by Lisa Jewell

Thank you {partners} @celadonbooks and @macmillanaudio for my gifted copies.

Lucy has lived with being the prime suspect in her best friend's murder for 5 years - losing jobs, friends, and every new person she meets trust. Did she do it? She can't say no. She can't remember that evening at all. Now two things are happening:: she's returning to hometown, where the murder happened, for her grandmother's birthday. And a popular True Crime broadcast has raised a lot of interest in the crime.

These are familiar thriller tropes, but this is NOT a typical thriller, it was SO good!

I loved Lucy's characterization as leaning into her bad reputation with dark humor and the little gems from her family too, like her mother observing maybe the podcaster will save her reputation: " People believe men, especially men who look like that. If he says you didn’t do it, if he even casts enough doubt, people will believe actually him. Look at that Ronan Farrow fellow. No one believed that movie man assaulted all those girls until he said it was true.” The various characterization of Texas women overall was a highlight.

I also enjoyed Ben, the podcaster, who surprised me several times. Meeting side characters first through the podcast, then Lucy meeting then in town was a clever touch.

I'd call this a thriller, not a mystery; because of the memory loss element, we dont' get enough clues to figure out what really happened, but you do get ideas and red herrings and it keeps you in suspense. The ending worked for me. My main word to describe this book is "page turner".

The narration was A+ and for this, like all podcast books, I definitely recommend the audio. I'd call this a 4.5 star book rounded up for the performances.

Thanks to NetGalley, Celadon Books and Macmillan audio for the advanced copy.

I thought this was incredibly well done! Each character was voiced by a different narrator and it really felt like a true crime podcast playing out. I love the true crime podcast trope and hope that authors will keep using it because it really makes it easy to connect to the characters as if you feel like you are solving the case with the podcasters. I was really rooting for the main character of the whole time and loved how this played out. I did not see the ending coming at all and thought it was really wonderfully done. This is one of the best thrillers I've read in a while. Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

This book is like:

-A gripping audiobook experience with dual POVs
-A thrilling podcast narrative that brings the story to life
-A cleverly crafted ending that left me surprised

OH MY GOD. Let me tell you, this book is an easy 4.75 stars in my books! If you ask me how to absorb this story, I'd recommend the audiobook to anyone and everyone. The dual POV and the podcast element truly elevate the narrative. The ending? Spectacular. However, my slight deduction of -0.25 comes from a wish for a few more clues sprinkled throughout the story to make that 'aha' moment more pronounced. But, let's be honest, that's a tiny critique.

The pacing, the witty writing, and the overall storytelling in this book were nothing short of amazing! The story unfolds like a perfectly scripted podcast episode, unveiling truths as we listen.

Thanks to #NetGalley and #MacMillanAudio for the ARC #ListenForTheLie by #AmyTintera. I love listening to a podcast version of a book. It always gives so much more to the story. This book is great with all the drama-past and present, the small town games and the finger pointing. Highly Recommend.

🎧 𝔸𝕦𝕕𝕚𝕠𝕓𝕠𝕠𝕜 • ℝ𝕖𝕧𝕚𝕖𝕨 🎧

𝗟𝗶𝘀𝘁𝗲𝗻 𝗙𝗼𝗿 𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗟𝗶𝗲 by Amy Tintera
Release Date: March 5, 2024

𝗠𝘆 𝗧𝗵𝗼𝘂𝗴𝗵𝘁𝘀 𝗼𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗦𝘁𝗼𝗿𝘆
This book was SO GOOD! This was my first by Amy Tintera but everyone says her other books are really good, so I've found a new author! I was hooked from the very beginning of this one. Lucy was such a likeable character, even though she was a suspected murderer. Her sarcasm was so on point, I found myself giggling through the whole book. I loved that the book.incorporated podcast episodes that enhanced the story! I highly recommend this book if you're looking for a new thriller!!

𝗠𝘆 𝗧𝗵𝗼𝘂𝗴𝗵𝘁𝘀 𝗼𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗔𝘂𝗱𝗶𝗼𝗯𝗼𝗼𝗸
I'm only recommending this on audio! January LaVoy was absolutely perfect for narrating this. Every character had their own voice. The podcast was perfect also. There was intro and exit music, and Will Damron was perfect for the role of Ben Owens. I listened at 1.25x speed and it was perfect! I wish I could listen to this for the first time again, it was easily at the top of my audiobook list for 2023! I recommend the audiobook as the only way to enjoy this awesome thriller!

Thank you to Netgalley, Amy Tintera and Macmillan Audio for an ALC!

I did the audio version and with it being a story and podcast in one it had all the live action noises. I’m really starting to enjoy how these are done! Even though I don’t listen to podcasts, I love this style in thrillers!

Lucy thinks that she must have killed her best friend. Everyone thinks she did. And if everyone tells you you’re a murderer, even the voice in your head… does that mean you are? This was the ultimate whodunit mystery! I throughly enjoyed it and would recommend it for sure!

Finished this awesome audiobook and I LOVED it! Like for real. The main character doesn't know if she killed her best friend years ago but everyone thinks she does and then a guy (who looks like an Avenger 😍according to her grandma who is a hoot) starts a podcast about it where it's based on Texas (accents and all!)

I highly recommend if you like thrillers especially with a little dark humor and some twisted relationships to add this to your TBR! ESPECIALLY the audio format! It's SO GOOD!!!👏🏻 I was so hooked and really loved how it had a podcast built in. It was like listening to Serial but then also getting a funny but dark main character that you can't help but root for! I didn't guess the twist either which was great!!!!! I want more like this please! I think it'll be a 2024 thriller hit (hopefully) 🤞🏼

What if everyone - including YOU - believed you murdered your best friend? When Lucy was found wandering the street, disoriented and covered in her best friend Savvy’s blood, everyone assumed she killed her. But Lucy doesn’t remember, and nobody ever found out the truth. Lucy was married to the town’s golden boy and Savvy was a social butterfly, especially popular with the boys in town. It’s been years since that awful night and Lucy has moved to LA to start a new life. But when true crime podcast host Ben Owens starts investigating Savvy’s death on his hit podcast, “Listen for the Lie”, Lucy is forced to confront the past and the night she can’t remember.

I always find it ironic how much I enjoy books centered around podcasts when I don’t actually listen to any podcasts LOL. This one was particularly fun to listen to on audio, as there were bits of the podcast interviews interspersed throughout the story. I really felt badly for Lucy, as she truly couldn’t remember what happened that night and her journey to trying to get to the truth and uncover her repressed memories were intense and at times, painful. I also loved the comedic relief provided by the dark humor (Savvy continually whispering “lets kill” to Lucy’s subconscious made me laugh nearly every time it happened). This unique mystery had me on the edge of my seat! January LaVoy and Will Damron narrated this one to perfection.

Thank you to Macmillan audio, Netgalley and Amy Tintera for the ALC! “Listen for the Lie” releases March 5, 2024. This review will be shared to my instagram blog (@books_by_the_bottle) shortly :)

🎧Audiobook - 5/5 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

“I should have been a better victim. The truth doesn’t matter if you fight back.”

A whodunit that is unique and has subtle dark humor scattered throughout. While listening, I found myself smiling often and even laughing at points, which is an impressive balance for a murder mystery.

Lucy Chase was found alongside a road 5 years earlier with her best friend’s blood on her, a protrusion on her head from an obvious struggle and no memory of what had taken place. Everyone, including Lucy, thinks she is the obvious and only suspect, but without any proof, there is no arrest made. She moves to LA to try and move on, but is requested to return to the place of the crime for her grandmother's birthday. She reluctantly decides to go because Grandma is one of the few people she communicates with from her past, and she may be the only person who believes in her innocence.

The story is mostly told through Lucy's POV, which is both witty and cutting in the best way, making her an engaging character. Her and Grandma were largely responsible for the smiles and giggles I mentioned earlier.
In addition to her perspective, we also witness the unraveling of the events surrounding the murder through a podcast called 'Listen For The Lie', where an attractive and somewhat arrogant podcaster, Ben, comes to town to investigate the murder and shed light on the events surrounding that night.

This is where I say from my perspective, the audiobook is the most obvious choice as it offers the opportunity to listen to podcasts and interviews with the townspeople throughout. Also, Savvy's narration and voice are something I believe you will not want to miss. 😅
January LaVoy and Will Damron's narration team is deserving of a big thumbs-up.

You get a good look back at Lucy's past relationships and what makes her tick. The characters are well-crafted, engaging, and occasionally amusing.
The writing felt smart and unique, and I was pleasantly surprised to learn that this was Amy's first adult novel. I will be looking for the next one.

It is anticipated that this audio will be released in the beginning of March. If you're looking for an audiobook that's less graphic and more diverse than your usual thriller, make sure to add this one to your 2024 list. I highly recommend it.

Thank you to Net Gallery author Amy Tintera and Macmillan Audio for giving me the ALC in return for my honest review.

Lucy is the subject of a true crime podcast as she was accused of murdering her best friend Savvy but there was not enough evidence to convict. Back in her home town for a family event, everyone including her parents seem to belive she did it. But as Lucy is unable to remember that night she is invested in the Podcaster finding.

Thrillers with true crime podcast within the story have been on the rise. Some pull it off and some don't. This one is successful incorporating the podcast into the story. I throughly enjoyed the discoveries in the case and will be interested in other works from this author.

Thank you to NetGalley and MacMillan Audio for an advanced audiobook for review.

TW: Language, drinking, toxic family relationships, cheating, alcoholism, abusive relationship, sexual assault, rape (mention), physical abuse

*****SPOILERS*****
About the book:
After Lucy is found wandering the streets, covered in her best friend Savvy’s blood, everyone thinks she is a murderer. Lucy and Savvy were the golden girls of their small Texas town: pretty, smart, and enviable. Lucy married a dream guy with a big ring and an even bigger new home. Savvy was the social butterfly loved by all, and if you believe the rumors, especially popular with the men in town. It’s been years since that horrible night, a night Lucy can’t remember anything about, and she has since moved to LA and started a new life.

But now the phenomenally huge hit true crime podcast "Listen for the Lie," and its too-good looking host Ben Owens, have decided to investigate Savvy’s murder for the show’s second season. Lucy is forced to return to the place she vowed never to set foot in again to solve her friend’s murder, even if she is the one that did it.
Release Date: March 5th, 2024

1. The insert of random romance
2. Lucy's voice of "killing" was annoying
3. Overly sexual for zero reason

Overall Thoughts:
I was sucked into this book and the story of if Lucy was guilty of killing her friend.

I keep thinking that Lucy's dad was sleeping with Lucy's friend and did something. That is why he was hovering around her and what she said.

Honestly I did not like the voice Lucy had that told her to kill. I found it annoying. It started to become more frequent. It just felt like it was out of character for this story and didn't do anything to add to it.

Ahhhhhh everyone cheats on one another. But it's pointed out that Lucy's dad was always cheating on her mom. This book is overly sexual. Everything centers around what people look naked and who is having sex with who. Then of course Lucy has sex with Ben and I don't understand the point of every thriller has a unnecessary romance. It's all so cringy.

Don't worry Lucy goes home and everyone is just obsessed with her. All the men want her.

All the men are cheaters and abuse all the women.

Final Thoughts:
This book was all over the place. At first I thought this was a book about trying to find out what happened to a woman that was killed via a podcast. I feel almost hoodwinked because what I ended up getting was a story that centered around sex and who was cheating on who. It honestly gets to be confusing trying to keep up with who was with who. I felt like I was the only person still infested in knowing who killed Savannah.

It's a shame because the writing was really good and the story was going well.

I get the impression that I will forget this book though by the time it's published. I wish there was something more memorable that happened in it.

A late contender in 2023 for a top audiobook of the year for me! This is a fantastic audiobook. With the podcast theme and fantastic narration from January LaVoy, and a solid well executed slow burn suspense plot, Listen for the Lie is one of those books just made for audiobook, Amy Tintera is an author now very much on my radar for her next book.
Thank you MacMillan for this excellent audiobook, I know many mystery and suspense fans will love this one.

Standouts
1. the narration and overall production, the podcast episode style... this is a highly engaging production.
2. Tintera offers a highly satisfying mystery with deft notes of gender roles, gaslighting, memory, and being haunted by (the past, the unknown, doubt...)
3. a thoughtful and thought provoking ending, I really liked how the mystery resolved itself but more how it was discussed by the main character (that's all I will say). It really tied in big themes nicely.

notes: content for abuse, gaslighting, mental health

Lucy was accused of killing her best friend Savvy years ago. Everyone thinks she did it. The problem is, Lucy has no memory of that night. When a podcaster enters the equation in hopes of discovering the truth, Lucy will have to confront her past.

Books like this are often most enjoyed in audiobook format, and this is no exception. I enjoyed the full cast aspect and sound effects— it really made it seem like a podcast.

Thanks to MacMillan Audio & NetGalley for providing an audio ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Yawn, another mystery built around a podcast - is what I thought when I read the synopsis for this one but I am happy to say I WAS WRONG! This was a pretty great little book with an extremely flawed heroine (who was quite funny, too).

Lucy has spent the past 5 years in L.A., escaping her hometown after her best friend Savvy was murdered. It doesn't help that A) everyone thinks she killed Savvy, B) she doesn't remember anything that happened that night, and C) there's now a popular podcast dealing with the crime and trying to solve it. She goes back home at her grandma's behest for her 80th birthday party, and chaos ensues.

Lucy isn't exactly likeable, but she is very real. She's a smart-mouthed woman who does a lot of dumb stuff, but it's largely human dumb stuff rather than trying to insert herself in the solution of the mystery. I enjoyed the family dynamics and the discussion of Lucy's previous domestic abuse situation; it felt like an accurate portrayal of a woman finally dealing with her trauma instead of just dulling the pain.

Looking forward to more adult material from this author, and January LaVoy was a great narrator, even if her "Texan middle aged woman" voice wore a little thin in spots.
3.5 stars rounded up

Thanks to NetGalley and Macmillan Audio for sending me an ARC of Listen for the Lie in exchange for an honest review.

Five years ago, Savannah Harper was found brutally murdered. Her best friend Lucy Chase was found with a head injury, no memory of what happened, and an awful lot of Savvy’s blood on her dress. At first, their small town of Plumpton, Texas believed Lucy must have escaped Savvy’s unknown attacker. But soon the town turned on Lucy, believing she murdered her best friend even though she was never charged. Now, Lucy lives in Los Angeles but is still haunted by the night she can’t remember. And her old life is colliding with her new one because the true crime podcast “Listen for the Lie” has decided to investigate Savvy’s murder for the show’s second season. Encouraged by her grandmother, Lucy returns to Plumpton to reluctantly agrees to help the podcast host Ben Owens with his investigation, despite her fears that together they may prove that she was Savvy’s killer.

Listen for the Lie is a wonderfully constructed story. Much of the tale is told from Lucy’s perspective. She’s a great character, funny and snarky, yet with a troubled past and a dangerous edge because she constantly imagines murdering people, hears a voice that keeps saying “let’s kill,” and genuinely doesn’t know if she killed Savvy. But interspersed with Lucy’s chapters are outtakes from the “Listen for the Lie” podcast. Those sections are incredibly well-written, note-perfect recreations of true crime podcasts like Serial. As we meet the various characters from Plumpton—Lucy’s ex-husband Matt, her parents and scene-stealing grandmother, Nina, Emmitt, Colin, and Kyle—both from Lucy and the podcast’s perspectives, the mystery of who killed Savvy deepens until the answer is finally revealed.

Finally, a word about the narrators, January LaVoy and Will Damron. Both are Audie Award winners and it shows. Their performances are simply excellent. Additionally, the production value and background music in the podcast scenes are so well done that it sounds like an audiobook being interrupted by an actual Serial-style podcast.

Listen for the Lie is a great mystery with a compelling main character. And along the way, the story explores false memories, gaslighting, gender dynamics, and how the media has a habit of smoothing the rough edges, buffing and polishing certain people (read: pretty, young white women) into unrealistic, perfect victims. 4.5 stars rounded up to 5. Highly recommended, especially the audiobook.

Five years ago, twentysomethings Savannah Harper (Savvy) and Lucy Chase of Plumpton, Texas - who were best friends - went to a wedding, and drank and partied with the other guests. After the wedding, Savvy was found in the woods, with a crushed skull, and Lucy was found nearby - injured, dazed, and covered with blood.

Lucy claimed to have no memory of what happened, and the police found no evidence to prosecute her. Nevertheless, the residents of Plumpton labeled Lucy a murderer; Lucy's marriage ended; and Lucy's parents acted like she was guilty. So Lucy left town and moved to Los Angeles, California.

Now, half a decade later, Savvy's murder is in the news again. A true-crime podcaster named Ben Owens, whose podcast is called 'Listen for the Lie', has taken it upon himself to solve the case (in other words, to prove Lucy did it). Thus Ben is interviewing people who knew Savvy and Lucy, and reconstructing the night Savvy died. Ben's podcast goes viral, after which Lucy loses her job and gets the cold shoulder from her boyfriend Nathan.

Meanwhile, Lucy's grandmother Beverly is planning a big bash for her 80th birthday, and she implores Lucy to come to Plumpton for the celebration. Lucy is VERY reluctant to set foot in her hometown, knowing that people will stare and whisper and possibly do worse. Nevertheless, Lucy agrees to visit Plumpton for her grandma's party.

As it happens, podcaster Ben Owens is in Plumpton at the same time as Lucy, and he asks her to give him an interview. Lucy is tempted, but the truth is, Lucy isn't convinced of her own innocence. She continually hears a voice in her head telling her to kill people, and suggesting ways to do it.

Still, Ben seems to be getting the local folks to open up and reveal new evidence. Moreover, Ben is handsome and personable, and Lucy finds him very attractive. After awhile Ben and Lucy get friendly, and decide to work together to reveal the truth.....even if it means proving Lucy DID kill Savvy.

The narrative is interspersed with episodes of the 'Listen to the Lie' podcast, where we learn - bit by bit - about what happened in Plumpton five years ago. The town was chock full of podcast-worthy occurrences, such as unrequited love; domestic abuse; violent outbursts; marital infidelity; and more.

At the book's climax we see how all the chicanery in Plumpton resulted in Savvy's death.

The best characters in the book are Lucy, whose observations are sarcastic and amusing; and grandma Beverly, a feisty octogenarian with a long line of admirers.

I enjoyed the mystery, but the plot isn't totally realistic. It seems that ALMOST EVERYONE in Plumpton lied about where they were at the time of Savvy's murder, but the police (apparently) didn't suss any of this out. They just focused on Lucy and let the investigation go stale.

Still, this is an engaging thriller with interesting characters and a touch of romance.

I listened to the audiobook, narrated by January LaVoy and Will Damron, who do a fine job.

Thanks to Netgalley, Amy Tintera, and Macmillan Audio for a copy of the book.

Get the audio!!
Narrators: January Lavoy, Will Damron

I absolutely love Lucy Chase. She is my kinda gal - smart, sarcastic and she doesn’t take crap from anyone. She returns home to Texas for her Grandma’s birthday. It’s been 5 years since she was found covered in the blood of her bff, Savvy. The town was convinced she committed the murder, but there was not enough evidence to convict her.

True Crime Podcaster, “Listen for the Lie”, Ben Owen’s arrives in town and is determined to figure out what happened to Savvy. There were so many twists and turns in this story.

I listened to this one and highly recommend it. The narration was very well done. Being able to hear Lucy’s sarcasm and Savvy talking to Lucy in her head adds to the story.

Thank you @celadonbooks @macmillan.audio for the #gifted copy.

4.5/5
Do yourself a favor and listen to this one!
Well, this was fun! I loved listening to the combination of past and presents storyline with the podcast episodes. Listen for the Lie held my interest from start to finish. The plot moves at a perfect pace and the characters are extremely well developed. I also really enjoyed the humorous snarky bits of dialogue woven into the story. The narration and music added for the podcast set the tone beautifully for this twisty, slow-burn, thrilling whodunit. A huge thank you to NetGalley, Macmillan Audio and the author for an ALC in exchange for my honest review. So good!