Emma Lord's "The Getaway List" is a heartwarming and spirited coming-of-age tale that translates beautifully into the audiobook format. Known for her knack for capturing the intricacies of young adult experiences, Lord delivers another captivating story filled with adventure, self-discovery, and the bonds of friendship.

The story follows Fiona Jacobs, a high school senior with a meticulously planned future, who suddenly finds her life upended. When her best friend, Gabriel, is diagnosed with a serious illness, Fiona decides to put her carefully laid plans on hold. Together, they create a "getaway list" of adventures to complete before graduation, setting off on a journey that promises to be as transformative as it is exhilarating.

The audiobook is brought to life by the talented narration, which perfectly captures the essence of Fiona’s voice. The narrator’s expressive performance adds depth and authenticity to Fiona's character, making her relatable and endearing. Fiona's determination, vulnerability, and humor shine through, drawing listeners into her emotional and physical journey.

Lord’s writing is both engaging and heartfelt, blending humor and poignancy in a way that feels genuine and impactful. The narrative is filled with vivid descriptions and lively dialogue, and the audiobook format enhances these elements, making the story feel immediate and immersive. Each adventure on the getaway list is narrated with a sense of excitement and wonder, capturing the essence of youth and the bittersweet beauty of fleeting moments.

One of the audiobook’s standout features is its portrayal of friendship. Fiona and Gabriel’s bond is the heart of the story, depicted with authenticity and warmth. Their interactions are filled with the kind of banter and deep understanding that defines true friendship. The narrator skillfully conveys the nuances of their relationship, from light-hearted moments of joy to the more serious and introspective conversations about life and the future.

Supporting characters also add richness to the narrative, each contributing to Fiona’s journey in meaningful ways. The audiobook does an excellent job of bringing these characters to life, with distinct voices and personalities that enhance the listening experience. Fiona's relationships with her family, friends, and new acquaintances are explored with depth and sensitivity, adding layers to the story.

The pacing of the audiobook is well-balanced, maintaining a steady rhythm that keeps listeners engaged from start to finish. The episodic nature of the getaway list adventures allows for a variety of settings and scenarios, each contributing to Fiona’s growth and self-discovery. The narrator's ability to convey different moods and tones enhances the storytelling, making each chapter a unique and memorable experience.

In conclusion, "The Getaway List" by Emma Lord is a delightful and touching audiobook that captures the spirit of adventure and the importance of embracing the present. The exceptional narration brings Fiona’s journey to life, making it a compelling and immersive listen. This audiobook is a must-listen for fans of young adult fiction and anyone who appreciates a heartfelt story about friendship, courage, and the magic of unexpected detours. Highly recommended for those seeking a narrative that is as uplifting as it is poignant.

Emma Lord has a unique way of using words and creating characters who say them. The only thing I hate about the THE GETAWAY LIST is that I’ve let it sit in the need to listen to pile for wayyyyy too long. And now that I have heard Riley and Tom’s story, I’m wondering how soon it is too soon to listen again?

Three main things I loved about this book:
1 The adventure. The idea of the actual getaway list is so cute. I love that Riley and Tom have made it since high school and decided to achieve it after graduation.
2 The found family. It’s a favorite trope of mine. When the perfect group of people works together, and you look forward to group scenes, you know something is done right.
3 Multiple Swiftie and AO3 mentions. As a fan of both, it made me giggle and my heart happy!

I found Norma Butikofer to be a great narrator for the book. Excellent job at differentiating the characters and bringing them to life!

I recommend THE GETAWAY LIST as an audiobook. You’ll have a great time listening and might want to go on an adventure with your own getaway list!

Thanks, Macmillan Audio, for the ALC!

Content Warnings: abandonment, bullying

I loved pretty much everything about Lord’s latest release. At first, I had trouble empathizing and connecting with Riley. The secondary characters were fun and engaging. I always appreciate how Lord uses the city as a character and setting becomes vital to the story.

I am a big fan of Emma Lord's previous books, but out of the 4 I've read - this was my least favorite. Honestly, I just wasn't enjoying rooting for Riley, and when I don't like the main character, it's hard for me to enjoy the book.

I am very much looking forward to Emma's upcoming adult romance book.

I enjoyed it - and yet, I think this was my least favorite Emma Lord book - and I devour all of them easily! And, I largely think it is because I listened to it via audio; had I read a physical or digital copy, I think I would have enjoyed it more.

First, there is quite a motley crew of characters - so it can be difficult to keep track of everyone when listening to an audio recording. But overall, there was a lot going on and it all felt a bit flat for me; I just wasn't invested in the story or the characters. We have multiple difficult relationships with parents, a group of friends navigating feelings, relationships, and next steps in life. And delicious sounding brownies (for some reason, this is the scene that stuck with me the most).

Overall, I will still read anything from Emma Lord (and loved her upcoming adult romance!), but this one just wanted my favorite.

The Getaway List is yet another adorable YA story that author Emma Lord has created. It’s a lighthearted, coming-of-age romcom, with themes of friendship and self- discovery with a fun NYC setting.

Riley and Tom were such great characters, and the audiobook narration paired with them so well.

*many thanks to Wednesday Books, Macmillan audio and Netgalley for the gifted copy for review

The Getaway List by Emma Lord released in January of 2024. I've been putting it off because after completing this, I have no more Emma Lord's to read until 2025. A sad day, indeed...But that day has come. I started the audiobook this morning, because I just couldn't resist anymore and sure enough, I binged it all in one day.

This story is unsurprisingly sweet and cute, full of heart-warming character moments and a #goals Found Family that I wanted to be a part of. I really enjoyed it!

In this story, we meet our MC, Riley, on the day she graduates from high school. She realizes that she's been working so hard the past 4-years, trying to do everything her Mom wants, that she hasn't had any time for herself. She's at a point when her classmates are moving on to their next steps, and she doesn't even know what she wants her next steps to be. It hits her like a truck.

Riley also realizes she misses her best friend, Tom, who moved away years ago to New York City with his Mom, and she needs a chance to reconnect with him. Being with Tom, before he moved, those are the last times she really remembers being able to be herself. She misses him and their easy connection. Needing the freedom to explore options for what the future may have in store for her, Riley plans an impromptu trip to NYC. Sadly, her Mom doesn't support her decision and the two get in a row. Her Mom tells her she can't go.

But Riley's 18-years old, it's time she start making decisions for herself. Even though she's not leaving under the best of circumstances, her mind is made up and off she goes.

The reunion between the two friends is a little uncertain at first. They haven't seen one another in corporeal form in years. Nevertheless, before long, like true friends, it feels like they've never been apart. After a few days, Riley is feeling more like herself than she has in a long, long time. She decides it would be best if she stay for the Summer. She and Tom have begun to check off items from their Getaway List, and it just feels fated.

There's also something else brewing in Riley's mind. What are these butterflies she's getting in her stomach whenever she's with Tom? This is a whole new feeling, one she just may now be ready to explore.

One of the things I love most about Emma Lord's books is the journeys that the characters go on. Her books are very much Contemporary, with Romance being more of a subplot, which works for me. I'm not a heavy Romance Reader and the books I enjoy the most with Romance in them, tend to focus a lot on other things going on in the protagonist's lives other than Romance; such as family or career issues.

This book is truly about self-discovery for Riley. She's lost herself in trying to make her Mom happy, and doing what she needs to do to be the good girl. She's been doing what her Mom wants, but finally comes to a point where she recognizes she needs to start making decisions for herself.

She's at that fantastic crossroads in life, just after high school, where all obligations of childhood are completed, and it's time to start take the first steps into adulthood. The world is literally her oyster. I liked her desire to reconnect with Tom, and I definitely understood her motivations for tracking him down. It was fun watching them reconnect and being along for the ride as their feelings for one another evolved.

My favorite part, however, was the Found Family that Lord created around Riley and Tom. They were both having difficulties with their Moms, and the added support they received from their friends was so needed. There was a line in the book, I didn't flag it, so don't quote me, but it was something along the lines of, 'family isn't who you share blood with, it's who you'll spill blood for'. That hit in a special way with this book.

If those are the kind of vibes you enjoy in your Contemporary stories, you need to check this one out. It delivered all of that and more. The mix of funny, heart-warming moments, with more serious, quieter moments, was beautifully-executed, IMO. Overall, I thought this was such a gratifying story. Lord wrapped everything up in a lovely little bow, and I walk away with a big smile on my face. I'm so happy that I finally made time for this; that I finally caved and read the last Emma Lord book that I have left to read. Emma, I will see you in 2025!!!

Thank you so much to the publisher, Wednesday Books and Macmillan Audio, for providing me with copies to read and review. Clearly, Emma Lord is one of my go-to authors and I cannot wait to pick up more from her.

Her brand of sweet will never get old to me. I eat it up like ice cream with every available topping on it!!

thank you to netgalley for the advanced reading copy. I really enjoyed this and will be getting copies for my shop.

4.5⭐️ this book is so darn cute

if you
-love New York City
-have experienced that in between of being a legal adult but feeling very much unprepared for it
-wish that Rory had run away with Jess when he offered at the end of season 4

this book is for you

"Emma Lord's 'The Getaway List' is a delightful read that takes readers on a charming journey filled with humor, heart, and adventure. The characters are relatable and well-developed, making it easy to become invested in their stories. Lord's writing style is engaging, with witty dialogue and vivid descriptions that bring the setting to life. While some parts of the story may feel predictable, overall, 'The Getaway List' is an enjoyable and entertaining read that is perfect for fans of contemporary YA fiction. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a fun and heartwarming escape for the summer."

Thank you netgalley for the ARC of this audiobook.

This is my favorite Emma Lord book since her first, Meet Cute. It has a lot of the same elements - mainly the love of New York, the friend circle, the app, and just SO MUCH CUTENESS and will-they-won't-they stuff. Riley and Tom are such unbelievably cute cinnamon rolls that it's hard not to love them, but as usual with Emma Lord, that fluffy exterior belies the hot messes that they actually are. Riley's issues stem from her shutdown after Tom leaves in high school, leaving her bereft without a co-conspirator. Because she got into trouble at school with him, her mother attempts to control her every move in her last years of high school, creating a "Good Kid" version of Riley where she not only feels like she's not herself, but also that her true self is not good enough for her mom. Whew. Tom's story unfolds as we see Riley and Tom traverse New York and discover just how isolated he's become - and how he combats that. I won't go into spoilers, but let's just say that Emma Lord knows how to reveal secrets at precisely the right moment, and even though I had guessed at some of the secrets Tom was keeping, I couldn't guess at everything.

I think the thing that resonated the most with me in this book is Riley's feeling that she's directionless. There's nothing more relateable at 17-18, when people tell you you're supposed to be choosing what you do for the rest of your life. Her scrappiness and her ability to find and discover more about herself is what drives this book, and makes it such a keeper. The cute scenarios, the wonderful friend circle, and the backdrop of New York are icing on the cake.

Emma Lord has been an auto-buy author for me since the beginning - she doesn't disappoint. People looking for really awesome older YA contemporary that isn't too adult will find it here.

I was excited to read this book, but it just didn't work for me.

The story was cute but it just didn't stick with me. I enjoyed the characters and the found family aspect but it felt like something was missing. Maybe I'm just not the ideal audience for this one.

I love a book that has a quest or list of things to do. I liked the friendships and how their group developed naturally. I also liked that these young adults were navigating what it's like to be on their own for the first time. It's such a strange time when you leave home but don't yet feel like a grown up.

Still not entirely sure what a "The Getaway List is," I just know that I want one for myself, please and thanks.

A sweet story of a girl and her bff who moved away meet back up to complete their getaway list in the Summer between Hight School and College in NYC.

A lighthearted teen rom-com about self discovery and becoming your best, true self when you find the perfect people to see exactly who you are and love you in spite of, and because of your quirks. Riley and Tom are relatable characters struggling to make their way after High School and following their summer adventures- with a hearty dose of suspension of disbelief- makes for a fun ride.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to both read and listen to this title with an eARC and ALC.

This is a charming coming of age, friends to lovers, young adult romance.

Riley and Tom have been inseparable since they met. That is, until circumstance separated them when Tom's mom gets a job in NYC. Without her partner in crime, Riley finds other ways into mischief, which leads her mother scheduling her last two years of high school to death.

Upon graduation, Riley feels free and finally has the time to determine her next move, even if it's not college. What could make more sense than visiting Tom in Manhattan while she parses out her next move?

While there, Riley and Tom try to work through their co-authored Getaway List items. As they check off their bucket list tasks, they collect a group of friends that turn more into family. They also begin to realize, maybe they've always been more than friends.

This story has Emma Lord's signature plucky charm with a charming story of self-discovery and hope. I would recommend this to 14 and up kiddos as it's squeaky clean.

The audiobook took me a while to get into because the narrator has a hint of a New England accent that echoed of Moira Rose at times. It took me out of the story on more than one occasion. That could be a me thing, however.

This was a 3.5 rounded up to 4 stars for me. It wasn't remarkable in that I'd like to reread this and would have made it part of my personality, but I enjoyed it.

This was so cute I really enjoyed it , the characters and plot were well done as well I definitely plan to buy it

I thoroughly enjoyed this book! Receiving an advanced copy was a delightful surprise. I believe both existing fans and newcomers will find it equally enjoyable.

Emma Lord has quickly become one of my favorite young adult authors. I have read all of her books, and love them all. I was so excited to receive an early copy of this book and it did not disappoint! This is one of my favorites of hers that I have read. Lord, definitely knows how to write a coming of age story. I loved how the characters grew and developed throughout the story and their relationship. Overall this one is super sweet, With lots of fun filled adventure and self-discovery.

𝙉𝙖𝙧𝙧𝙖𝙩𝙤𝙧: Norma Burikofer
𝙇𝙚𝙣𝙜𝙩𝙝: 9h 45m

I thought this #audiobook was so good! I love the narrator in this one and I thought she did a great job. This story was fun, enjoyable and I felt like I was right there with the main character throughout.

𝙍𝙚𝙖𝙙 𝙞𝙛 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙚𝙣𝙟𝙤𝙮:
• NY setting
• coming of-age
• bucket list
• self discovery
• friends to lovers
• swifties

"...that makes me so happy. The idea that we know all the same stars. That we'll always have that in common even when we're far away."