Cover Image: The Stranger in the Library

The Stranger in the Library

Happy Publication Day to Eva Gates for The Stranger in the Library, number 11 in her wonderful Lighthouse Library cozy mystery series. This is one of my favorite library/librarian themed cozy mysteries, and I’ve read all of them – I love visiting the Lighthouse Library. (Secretly I sometimes wish I had my very own room like Lucy did/Louise Jane has.)

“Outer Banks librarian Lucy is working on an art show at the library when paintings–and people–start to go missing.”

This feels a little unique since now the police are actively working with Lucy to help solve the mysteries instead of being frustrated by her sleuthing ways. It’s a solid mystery that I couldn’t figure out until the end. I enjoyed watching it all come together. It’s also fun to see Lucy and Connor settle in after their recent wedding and honeymoon.

This series provides great mysteries, wonderful characters and the perfect setting for armchair travel. @crookedlanebooks

While I’m not an art fan at all and the talk of it and history are slightly boring to me, I still enjoyed the mystery behind this book and seeing Lucy in action sleuthing again. I never would’ve thought I’d actually kinda like Louise Jane’s character, ever, but now even though she’s still snarky and everything, she’s a fixture I’d miss, lol. She’s always good for a laugh whether she meant to be funny or not 😉 Will good old LJ really find the love she’s been hoping for with someone from this book? Or…maybe she loves the lighthouse apartment too much to really fall for someone. I guess only time’ll tell on that!

Lucy and Louise Jane were together during the showdown and what led up to it as well as what followed. They did honestly work well together sleuthing and of course, LJ’s always got a trick or two up her sleeve. I’m eager to see what happens in the next book—will it be about what Louise Jane found out she’ll be doing soon?

I voluntarily read and reviewed an ARC of this book provided by Crooked Lane Books via NetGalley, and my opinions are my own.

This book wasn't my cup of tea. I think this book series is best to read in order. I had a hard time connecting with the characters or even caring who died and who did it. I just didn't feel any connection.

This is the 11th book in the series, but would work well for new readers, too. I've not read all of the books in this series, but have enjoyed the ones I have read. The main setting of the book is a lighthouse library in the Outer Banks of North Carolina, and the art scene plays a big role in this book. The library book club's pick for the month, a classic by Patricia Highsmith, may even have a link to the current crimes. I think this is a very clever element of the book.

In The Stranger in the Library, an important exhibit of American Impressionist paintings has come to town and the library is joining in the celebration by hosting their own display of reproductions. Newly married librarian Lucy McNeil is proud of what the Bodie Island Lighthouse Library was able to put together. Things get mysterious when a reproduction painting that only has sentimental value to Lucy's coworker Louise Jane McKaughan and her family, is stolen. Then, one of the organizers of the main art show is killed at the launch party. Is there a connection between these events?

Unlike in some cozy mysteries, the local police chief welcomes Lucy's help in investigating the crime. Sam is short-staffed and knows Lucy's observations have helped solve cases in the past. Lucy's husband, Connor, worries about his wife, but doesn't try to stand in her way. Lucy has an unlikely sleuthing partner this time, Louise Jane, who in the past has been critical of Lucy. This time, Louise Jane has a vested interest in the case since it was her family's painting that was stolen and also because she is developing feelings for a mysterious newcomer that is one of the suspects. Louise Jane can be hard to take, but she has mellowed in this book and I enjoyed seeing her and Lucy team up. The book has some slow parts, but is entertaining as a whole and has a dramatic and satisfying ending.

I received an advance copy of this ebook at no cost from NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books, but my review is voluntary and unbiased.

There nothing like starting a new book and begin relaxing and smiling as you are back with good friends. The town has a big art fair going on. Not to be left out the library has one of their own. Neighbors have brought in their own art whether a post card of a well-known painting or a privately owned family copy of a local artist’s print. Opening night is a vast success. Oddly enough the print is stolen that night. The following night the exclusive showing of the art exhibit opens with a lot of odd occurrences including finding someone in the outdoor fountain. Topping off with the discovery of the missing print back on the library stairs. However, the backing of the painting has been opened. Lucy once again becomes involved in solving these two mysteries or maybe one mystery entwined. Loved it!

What's better than a library in a lighthouse? An art show in a library in a lighthouse!!! Lucy and crew are putting on a fabulous art show including books on the artists and artwork that also helps introduce an art show being put on by the town art guild that has original artwork from the artists. Once again, the library crew are put in the middle of the mystery when one of the reproductions at the library is stolen and later when a body appears on the scene! Can Lucy and crew solve the puzzle before more bodies drop or the killer skips away at the end of the art show? This series is well written with witty dialogue, detailed mysteries and great characters! This book once again showcases the author's skill at crafting an entertaining and intriguing mystery with lovable characters! I'm just sad that I am back to waiting for the author to give us another book in the series! I always read these stories way too fast!

The honeymooners have returned, and they are going to get straight back to work. An art exhibition is coming to Nags Head, so the Bodie Island Lighthouse Library staff decide to have an educational display, along with copies of some of the priceless items. When someone steals one of the copies overnight, Lucy and company are a little puzzled as to why someone would steal a copy.

The next day Lucy is attending a gala for the exhibition for the real art pieces when a dead body is found. Since the police have their hands full with the murder, the stolen art gets pushed to the back burner, after all it is only a copy.

Oddly enough Lucy and Louise Jane work together on this mystery. If you have read this series, you know that Lucy and Louise Jane are like oil and water. The painting belonged to her family, but I was still surprised to see the two of them working together harmoniously. This was a little different than the usual mysteries that Lucy is involved with, but it was still very interesting. There are plenty of red herrings and a few twists along the way, just to play with your mind and make you doubt what you think you know.

I always enjoy the books in this series as the characters are fun, and since I have read them all, I feel as if I know them personally. If you enjoy an intriguing cozy mystery, you will enjoy this one.

Thank you to Crooked Lane Books and NetGalley for this ARC. I am leaving this review voluntarily.

I have to admit this entry into the series (book 11), just didn't hold my interest as much. Which is odd, as Gates brought in other characters and outside dynamics, to stir up the library and it's employees-which was nicely done. Per chance, it was just not grabbing me...but the story is well done, and there is a dual mystery involving a stolen painting in the past, and the current one from the library display. It's an interesting take on a past/future events, and the characters use their "I just happened to be going to..." to well effect to solving the mystery at hand. With a little last minute danger for Lucy, it's also a quick read.

Welcome back to OBX , always a great time with Lucy and everyone at the Lighthouse library. This is a cozy mystery, that keeps the reader engaged and reading till the last page. Loved it. The characters are wonderful, with a little bit of quirky thrown in to keep reader off balance until the big reveal.

The Stranger in the Library takes the reader to Nags Head Outer Banks North Carolina. Some of the elements come from the author’s imagination. The library in the lighthouse is one of those things but doesn’t a library in a lighthouse sound amazing? Every visit to Bodie Island Lighthouse Library sparks my imagination and leaves me feeling happy.
Great art is coming to Nags Head. Lucy and the team at the library create an exhibit celebrating all sorts of art. None of their exhibits are priceless, but it makes for a fun evening.
One of the organizers of the art exhibition at Granger House winds up dead. A painting from the library goes missing.
Lucy and Louis Jane are unlikely partners in figuring out what is happening behind the scenes. By the end of the book it looks like something good may be in Louise Jane’s future.
I enjoyed reading The Stranger in the Library. I think you could pick up this book as a stand-alone but reading the entire series in order will increase the enjoyment. The lighthouse and the people in this series are characters I would enjoy knowing in real life.
Thanks to Netgalley and Crooked Lane Books for the opportunity to read this book.

This is a favorite cozy mystery series of mine! I love the Outer Banks setting, and the characters are fun and interesting. And of course, the library in the lighthouse! The art scene in this book was really interesting and I enjoyed learning about it. It felt a little chaotic at times, as there were a large number of characters from outside the main group, and it felt a little more disconnected from the usual community, but it was still fun and I loved it! I can't wait to see what comes next for Lucy and the group. Thanks to Netgalley and Crooked Lane Books for the advance digital copy!

Thanks so much to crooked lane books and netgalley for the arc of this one in exchange for an honest review!

I have read a few books in this series and I have liked them in the past. However, this one I couldn’t get into. Maybe it’s because it was about art and I’m not usually into that as much. I’m not sure.

I liked the setting and the characters but I think the plot was just a bit boring for me. Overall, not a bad cozy mystery but not my favorite.

I enjoy Eva Gates books (Lighthouse Library Mystery series) immensly. They are like conversation with a dear friend over coffee and cake.
The Stranger in the Library is the 11th installment in the Lighthouse Library Mystery series and is set... in the lighthouse library and small town of Nag Head (where this library is situated).
Newly married librarian Lucy is all ready (or not) for quiet and fulfilling married life but... crime does not rest even in the idyllic Nags Head. Take a library, a mysterious painting, a whole exhibition of the famous Impressionists' works, add art wheelers and dealers, past and present lovers and enemies and you got yourself a very volatile cocktail. Lucy gets entangled into the murder mystery again, gets in danger... again and promises herself not to do it all... again.
All in all, Stranger in the Library is a very worthy addition to the series and a very comfy cozy pleasant mystery for summer/autumn/winter/spring reading.
Enjoy.

When a traveling show of impressionist art comes to Nags Head, North Carolina, librarian Lucy and the staff at the Bodie Island Lighthouse Library are inspired to create an educational display about art history. Their launch of the display is a huge success, but the morning after, they discover that a reproduction of a famous painting has gone missing. No one knows why anyone would bother stealing it: the picture is of no value–the real, priceless painting is under lock and key at the art show itself. Lucy gets an invite to the glitzy opening night for the real show, where she notices unusual tension among the show’s organizers. Then, the man scheduled to give the welcoming speech fails to arrive, and a party-goer is discovered drowned in a fish pond. Meanwhile, Louise Jane is totally captivated by Tom Reilly, a handsome, charming art dealer lurking at the edges of the receptions on both nights. Tom slipped away from the party early, and he cannot be located by the police. Who, Lucy asks, is Tom Reilly, the shadowy figure threatening to break Louise Jane’s heart? Something is afoot in Nags Head, and it’s up to Lucy and her friends to get to the bottom of it before it’s not just paintings being framed. I absolutely love this series! It helps to have read the previous books in the series but still this is a highly enjoyable mystery!

This is the eleventh book in this series and it was fun to be visiting the Lighthouse Library again.

Lucy and Connor are back from their honeymoon and are happy to attend a cocktail party and exhibition of original art in the town. Unfortunately they discover a dead body in the fishpond outside, and consequently become involved in the police investigation. The author supplies lots of excitement and red herrings, and the eventual culprit is not anyone who I suspected!

Nicely written, an interesting mystery and great characters including the beautiful cat. Five stars.

(4.5 rounded up)
I received a complimentary ARC copy of The Stranger in the Library (Lighthouse Library Mystery #11) by Eva Gates from Net Galley and Crooked Lane Books in order to read and give an honest review.

…Always entertaining, this series with its fun, intriguing, cozy mystery vibe is cleverly crafted, with a brilliant and quirky cast of characters, intricate plot, nail-biting suspense, humor, and a touch of romance…

A fan of The Lighthouse Library Mysteries, this eleventh entry, The Stranger in the Library is yet again another wonderful addition to the series.

Newlywed librarian Lucy, inspired by her recent honeymoon in Europe, has organized an art appreciation exhibit at the Bodie Island Lighthouse Library with reproductions of famous impressionist art works and an original from local Nags Head Artist O’Callaghan not valuable but sentimental, on loan from Louise Jane’s family, O’Callaghan’s descendants. Their exhibit is to coincide with a big art exhibit that is being launched in town celebrating the who is who of the art world being launched at a gala at the library. With the art world’s movers and shakers in attendance, we are introduced to some larger-than-life characters, such as the mysterious art dealer Tom Reilly, who Louise Jane becomes enamored with.

With the event ending successfully, Josie, Lucy’s cousin, and local caterer, wants air in the garden and is joined by Lucy and Louise Jane. While out there they stumble across someone face down in a fishpond only to discover Mark Farrago, one of the main event’s organizers, is dead. When her good friend and Detective Sam Watson asks for Lucy’s observations on the case, Lucy channels her inner Nancy Drew and gets to work. When Lucy notices that the painting on loan from Louise Jane’s family has been removed from the wall without a trace. Louise Jane, terrified of her family’s ire over the missing painting, teams up with Lucy to get to the truth. Although often at odds with each other the two band together to find the truth before the murderer finds them.

Always entertaining, this series with its fun, intriguing, cozy mystery vibe is cleverly crafted, with a brilliant and quirky cast of characters, intricate plot, nail-biting suspense, humor, and a touch of romance. Having read the series from the start I was not disappointed. Overall, I love this series and I thoroughly enjoyed The Stranger in the Library. I highly recommend it.

In this installment of the Lighthouse Library Mysteries, newly married Lucy McNeil has just returned from her honeymoon in Europe, where she experienced many of the great works of art. She and her fellow library staff create a homespun version of an art museum in order to tie in with the fancy gala being hosted in the town of Nags Head featuring many real famous paintings. When one of the replicas vanishes from the library wall and then the gala planner ends up dead, Lucy realizes she has another mystery on her hands.

I admit I am not that big of an art history fan. I can appreciate brush strokes and the capabilities it takes for color theory and image creation but I am not an art geek. I recognized the famous names in the book but that's about the extent of my art education. Unfortunately, since I didn't find this all fascinating it detracted a little from my full emersion in the story but that didn't detract from the cleverness of the plot and the little details Ms. Gates includes in her mysteries leading to the whodunit, which is why I still gave five stars.

My thanks to Crooked Lane Books and Netgalley for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

A travelling exhibition of American Impressionist art is coming to Nags Head in the Outer Banks and Lucy, the librarian at the Bodie Island Lighthouse library is using it as a springboard to feature art history education in the library. She has borrowed as much art as possible mostly in the form of prints and reproductions from the local residents to put up on the walls alongside a display of art books. The morning after the library’s successful launch party, she notices a painting missing. Not very valuable, it’s a poor reproduction of a painting by a famous Outer Banks artist on loan from Louise Jane’s grandmother who is a descendant of the artist.

The excitement of attending the opening night of the travelling exhibition overshadows the mystery of the missing painting, especially after a man is found dead in the fish pond. Lucy will need all her sleuthing skills and will have to pair up with librarian Louise Jane despite their past history to solve both these mysteries.

This is a fun addition to the series, taking us into the shadowy world of art collection and those who work in it. There are some unlikeable characters involved with the art exhibition, as the stranger to town, Tom Reilly, whose purpose is unclear. Some good twists and a thrilling ending round out an enjoyable mystery.

The Stranger in the Library by Eva Gates is the eleventh A Lighthouse Library Mystery. It can be read as a standalone for those new to the series. I always enjoy returning to Nags Head, North Carolina. The author’s descriptions capture the area and the buildings (real and imagined). I would love to work in the Bodie Island Lighthouse Library (it reminds me of the TARDIS). Lucy has been busy working on an educational impressionist art display for the library to complement a traveling impressionist art show that is visiting the town. Louise Jane, of course, gets in on the act by donating a family painting to the library’s exhibit. Lucy is a strong female protagonist. She is friendly and relatable (I would like to be her friend). She picked up some gorgeous dresses on her honeymoon (lucky girl). There is a delightful cast of characters in this series. I have even come to like Louise Jane. The mystery was well plotted and paced. There are some twists along the way. I had someone pegged as the guilty party. I loved joining Lucy as she asked questions and searched for clues. I was not left with any lingering questions at the end (hooray). The Bodie Island Classic Novel Reading Club chose Ripley Under Ground by Patricia Highsmith. I enjoy it when an author mentions a book that I have not read previously (gives me a new book to add to my TBR pile). I liked the author’s note at the end with her explanation of the MacGuffin she used in the story. I was sad when my trip to Nags Head came to an end, but I hope I will get to visit again soon.

This is the eleventh book in the Lighthouse Library series. I love this story. We see Louise Jane and Lucy working together to solve the mystery. We actually get to see LJ in a nicer, gentler light. The book is well-written and well-plotted.

I really liked the mystery of Louise Jane’s artist ancestor. Also, the introduction of Tom made this interesting.

Lucy and Connor are adjusting to being married and care deeply for each other. I liked how Tom called Connor in order to find Louise Jane and Lucy.

I can’t say anymore. So please read this story to find all the twists until the reveal.

I received an advanced copy from Netgalley. I am not required to leave a positive review.