Cover Image: The Fury

The Fury

It was alright. Nothing spectacular and I still find The Silent Patient to be the author's best outing yet.

If you like books with unreliable narrators, this is the book for you. In true Alex Michaelides style, we never know quite what is the truth, even when our narrator, Elliott, swears that it is. Generally, speaking, I LOVED this book. I really enjoyed the characters, even though they were shallow and hard to connect with, at times.

There were surprises and suspense, and just the right amount of humor. Also, the Easter Eggs that the author places in his books to connect back to his previous books is always fun to look for.

Thank you to the Author, Narrator, Publisher and Net Galley for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

"This is a tale of murder.
Or maybe that’s not quite true. At its heart, it’s a love story, isn’t it?"

I really liked the format of this story. Told from a the POV of a narrator looking back on the events and speaking directly to the reader about what happened. A story about love, friendship, jealously, betrayal, and murder - all while trapped on an isolated island; I had high hopes for this one. It was an interesting read, but felt slow moving with a little too much fluff for me. It did keep my attention, just didn't have the shocking twists and turns that I had hoped for.
The book does deliver what it promised, a mystery that would be solved by the end of the weekend trip on the island. If you like the isolated island mystery trope, and enjoy a slower burn, I think that you would like this book.

⭐⭐⭐💫 (3.5)

Thank you to @netgalley @celadonbooks and @macmillan.audio for the gifted copy of this book.

The premise of this one is interesting. Told in first person as if the narrator is reading a journal or having a conversation with the reader, I was a lot lost. When I first started the audiobook, I listened to nine chapters before I realized I had no idea what was happening. So I put myself on hold for the ebook at the library and when it came in, I started the book again reading in tandem with listening. This helped me keep things in order in my brain and allowed me to follow the story. I ended up liking it way more than I thought I was going to. It is very twisted and that's what makes it so interesting. Definitely worth a read or listen once you adapt to the writing style.

I have to remember when I read Alex Michaelides’ books that nothing will ever compare to The Silent Patient. I thought this book was good, there was a ton of twists and turns that I didn’t see coming. I really didn’t enjoy the unreliable narrator in this book. I was so sick of hearing “well this is how it really happened…” Overall, I am glad I read it, and would still recommend it. I think it’d be the perfect book to read for a book club.

Thank you Netgalley for the eARC in exchange for an honest review.

Listened to this book. Narration was good. I really enjoyed the Silent Patient and was looking forward to this book. I found the story line slow and bit predictable. Was just an OK read for me.

Saying this is a slow burn is an un understatement. It seemed to take forever before anything occurred of importance. The plot is more a mystery than a thriller. I was over half of the way through before I became interested in the story. Once my interest was piqued, I was invested in the mystery. I have read all of the books by this author and this was my least favorite. There were times I enjoyed the narration of the audiobook and other times I felt it got in the way of the actual story. Because I did enjoy half of the book my rating is 2.5 stars rounded to 3. Thank you NetGalley and Macmillan Audio for my audiobook.

My Thanks to NetGalley and Celadon Books for the ARC and the audiobook of this book in exchange for my honest review.

So, "The Fury" is basically a mash-up of all your favorite entertainment references, right? You've got a bit of Shakespeare, some Greek Chorus, a dash of Norma Desmond, and a sprinkle of "Baby Jane and Blanche Hudson", all wrapped up in an Agatha Christie style mystery. It's like Alex Michaelides took all these bits and bobs and whipped up a brand new narrative.

Our narrator is this playwright dude, Elliot Chase. He's got us thinking about how thin the line is between what's real and what's made up. He spins us this story about friendships, love, and, yep, murder. It all kicks off when Lana Farrar, this stunning but kinda elusive actress, invites her pals Kate and Elliot, her kid Leo, hubby Jason (also Leo's stepdad), and her loyal assistant Agathi to her private Greek island, "Aura", for Easter. There's also Nikos, who pretty much lives on this remote island all year round.

So, everyone's getting ready for a long weekend on the island. This place is famous for its storms, or "Furies" - a little nod to Greek mythology. After a night out on a different island, a storm rolls in, cutting them off from the rest of the world. In the middle of all this, they stumble upon a body at the island's ancient theater.

Naturally, everyone's wondering - who did this? And why? The cops take their sweet time getting there. But here's the thing - with a bunch of suspects who earn their bread by acting or spinning stories, can you really trust anyone?

Michaelides does a great job of painting a picture with his words. The characters are pretty well fleshed out, and the story sort of plays like a movie in your head. The chapters are short and sweet, so you find yourself flying through the book. If you're a fan of Agatha Christie, Lucy Foley, or Anthony Horowitz, then this book's got your name written all over it.

Not my favorite Alex Michaelides. Could've been the narrator, but I had a really tough time getting into this one. I love some of Alex's other books though so I will definitely try another in the future!

Alex Michaelides has become a staple in the mystery world of books. What started with The Silent Patient that got every reader talking about it, led to more and him becoming a must read author. I constantly find myself checking to see when he'll come out with his next book. The thing with Alex's books, it grips your attention from the start, making you think you know what to expect from it and leaving you shocked at the end when everything is thrown out the window.

Lana Farrar was once a movie star that everybody loved to watch. When she becomes a recluse and decides to leave the lime light to spend time with her son and husband, it leaves the world wondering what happened to her. Those close to Lana are invited once a year to her Greek island. Elliott Chase who is one of Lana's friends, loves Lana and while he loves Lana, Lana does not love him as anything more than a friend. When Elliott plots to find a way to get Lana to fall in love with him and leave her husband, When his plan goes awry, everything changes for Elliott and what he always wanted is further away from him. Though this story was supposed to be about love, it quickly changed to murder.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the free copy of The Fury by Alex Michaelides in exchange for my honest review.

Thank you Celadon for this gifted arc and to Macmillan Audio and NetGalley for the advance listening copy of this book!

Unreliable narrators trope is always hit or miss to me, but I actually liked it in this book. I will say there were times when I kind of rolled my eyes at the narrator, but I think it had more to do with the plot. There are so many different paths the plot could've gone and I didn't see it taking the one it did. While I enjoyed this one more than The Maidens by this author, it was still just okay to me. I did enjoy the audiobook format more and definitely recommend the audiobook version.

They say comparison is the thief of joy and I think that’s true for Alex Michaelides. I compare each of his books to The Silent Patient which I ADORED and nothing since has lived up to my expectations or compared to his first thriller.

This one had an interesting premise but I did not like the narrator. I also didn’t really like any of the other characters. There are a couple surprise reveals that were good but not enough to change my mind about it. If you didn’t like The Silent Patient maybe this one will do it for you.

Many thanks to Netgalley and Celadon Books for this audiobook.

I loved the narrator who put their own spin on the novel with adding words and taking them away. Sometimes it was confusing but I still loved the book. It definitely made it easier to read. I read the finished copy with this audiobook and it was so much fun. I can't wait for the next Alex Michelides book.

So, I finally decided to take a dip into the world of Alex Michaelides with "The Fury" on audiobook. After reading it I have some mixed feelings!

Let's start with pacing. I love a fast paced book but also know that sometimes a slog is necessary. I was initially intrigued by the parallels between this story and Agatha Christies, And Then There Were None... but it quickly took a turn that I was not into. Picture a sloth on a leisurely stroll through molasses—that's the vibe "The Fury" gives off. Michaelides definitely takes his sweet time letting this story unfold, with stretches of exposition that drag on longer than necessary. I also don't think the audiobook narration added anything special to it.

In terms of characterization... Mariana, our protagonist, is supposed to be this badass woman seeking revenge, but her actions often left me confused and questioning their purpose. Everybody else is not noteworthy (sorry).

On a positive note, Michaelides knows how to paint a scene, weaving an atmospheric backdrop that's as eerie as it is captivating. And amidst all the sluggishness, there are nuggets of wisdom about trauma and memory that make you stop and think—brief moments of clarity in the fog.

For previous fans of Michaelides "The Fury" might be the perfect thriller for you, but for me, it just didn't hit the spot. With its sluggish pace, forgettable characters, and lackluster finale, it's a bit of a letdown.

This honeslt9wasnt my favorite ooo by this author. But a bad Alex Micheledes novel is better than most author's best work.

I wanted to like this story, but I couldn’t get into it. The beginning was very boring and I found it difficult to care about the characters. This was just wasn’t for me.

Synopsis: “This is a tale of murder. Or maybe that’s not quite true. At it’s heart, it’s a love story, isn’t it?
Lana Farrar is a reclusive ex-movie star and one of the most famous women in the world. Every year, she invites her closet friends to escape the English weather and spend Easter on her idyllic private Greek island.
------
Michaelides' The Fury reminded me very much of Benjamin Stevenson’s Ernest Cunningham books. The narrator is one of the main characters in the story… playing quite a central role and speaking directly to the reader.

The Fury is a twisty-read filled with secrets. All of the characters are painted in such a light that they could all be the potential murderer, although none of them could possibly have done it. It's a fun and interesting read that keeps you guessing.

Many thanks to Netgalley and MacMillian Audio for sharing a book that is difficult for readers to put down.

Absolutely one of my favorite reads so far this year! So cleverly written and the narration is amazing. The setting is on a private Greek island cut off by the wind. Love it! Of course a murder occurs and then the cat and mouse game begins.

THE FURY
Alex Michaelides

Everything you need to know to be prepared for a five-star experience is in the synopsis. Everything you need for a five-star reading experience is in this book.

Let’s talk about THE FURY!

In THE FURY we are following a group of friends on a private Greek Island called Aura. Lana Farrar, the ex-movie star, has invited her very close friends to unwind and relax over Easter weekend.

By the end of the weekend, plans unravel, secrets are revealed, and someone ends up dead. We learn the who, the what, and most importantly the why, in this spectacular “WHYDUNIT” by Alex Michaelides, out January 2024!

I spent a weekend reading THE FURY. The first thing I noticed was how intentional the writing was. Thought and time and care went into thinking about what the words were saying, where the sentence was landing, and how the reader was experiencing the book.

I had a spectacular and unforgettable reading experience.

Just as the painting was in THE SILENT PATIENT, so is the wind in the fury. It’s a non-human entity that acts much like a character. It interacts with the scene; it has its own behavior and becomes just as vocal and informative as the dialogue between characters.

There are elements carried over from both THE SILENT PATIENT and THE MAIDENS. THE FURY is synergistic and felt like the culmination of something bigger than itself.

The sum of many parts.
There is something here for every reader out there and will be particularly compelling for die-hard thriller fans. This is the one you’ve been waiting for.

I cannot wait to hear this as an audiobook and I’m 100% rereading this with you when it comes out in January 2024.

Finally, again a book by Michaelides well worth the price of admission.
If this is the show, I want a ticket!

THE FURY...⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Thanks to Celadon Books and Macmillan Audio for the advanced copy and the awesome opportunity to provide early feedback!

I was hoping this book would take more advantage of its beautiful Grecian setting, but it...didn't. However, I love a multi-player mystery a la Agatha Christie.

I sufficiently disliked every character in this book, which I normally enjoy in a book, as long as I am not "supposed" to like any other them. However, my disdain for everyone (especially the narrator!) made it difficult to feel invested in who lived, died, murdered, or got murdered.

Another reviewer mentioned that this book contains a spoiler for The Silent Patient, so if you're planning on reading that, do it first.

I want to express my appreciation to Celadon Books for this Advance Reader's Copy, it pains me to write less than a stellar review because I just don't like doing that.

However, to me, this was the least successful of Michaelides' books. I loved The Maidens and I enjoyed The Silent Patient. I cannot imagine the pressure for a writer like Michaelides to keep producing high-stakes thrillers. Also, the cover of this book is GORGEOUS.