Cover Image: Girls with Bad Reputations

Girls with Bad Reputations

It was really good but Xio never dissapoints. She really encapsulated teen angsts, rock music and first loves

There was a lot to enjoy about this book. The characters were interesting and I enjoyed the elements of the band.

Girls With Bad Reputations was an entertaining romance/women’s fiction. The characters were well thought out with great backstories, and the supporting characters were all unique with stories of their own ready to be explored and told. I thought the contrast between the female and male main characters were contrasting in a way that was also complementary to their love story. And I loved how the scenes were based on the female main character’s band tour. Very fun!

The story addressed important situations/circumstances as well, which made this story not only fun, but relevant and needed.

I listened to the audiobook, which had two wonderful narrators who brought the characters to life. They complemented each other well. I listened at 2x speed with 1.75x speed being my “normal”.

Thank you NetGalley and Dreamscape Media for this advanced audio copy.

Girls with Bad Reputations is #2 in The Lillys series. This book centers around the drummer, Kayla and how she falls for the tour bud driver, Ty.

This book is fire. Following Kayla and Ty's journey on tour while also braiding in history of where they have come from. The audiobook has Benjamin Charles and Tyla Colier going back and forth from Ty and Kayla's perspective. This is perhaps my favorite part of the book.

Indie Rockers, book nerds, and navigating challenging pasts, this book is worth the listen.

Thank you NetGalley for the audiobook.

Story: ⭐⭐⭐.5
Audio: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Thank you @ntegallery and @ dreamscape_media for giving me access ot this audiobook in exchange for an honest review.

This book was a wonderful blend of heartbreak, love and found family. I adored The Lily’s and the dynamic of the 4 women in this band. It was beautiful to see Kayla become the woman she strives to be away from the pressures of others. Her story and the rising success of her band The Lily’s seemed to over shadow the romance portion of this book but I have no issue with that!

I loved the topics this books addressed and I believe it addressed them really well. I saw the parental pressures, a found family, systemic racism and the very beautiful way consent can be woven into a healthy relationship. The communication in this book was fantastic!

This story was one that felt so incredibly real and as such pulled me in. I will definitely read more of @xioaxelrod in the future!

The characters are dynamic and electric. Their personalities and stories started the story off with promise. While I continued to love them throughout the book, the storyline went in a more “family drama” direction than I cared for. That is not to say that that aspect was not done well - it was, I’m just not a fan of those particular plot lines.

One of the things I appreciated the most was the clear and skilled communication between our main characters. Haters of the miscommunication trope will find a fast friend in this sweet romance. Another amazing bonus: it is extremely consent heavy!!

Thank you Xio Axelrod and NetGalley for my advance audio copy in exchange for an honest review! My opinions are my own.

Plot - 4
Writing and Editing - 4
Character Development - 4
Narration - 5
Personal Bias - 3
Final Score - 4

I loved the second installment of this series. I cannot wait for more from The Lillys as they are getting their big break! Just a fun and heartwarming story of a group of found family as each member works their way through past and present trauma. The audiobooks for this series are all phenomenal and bring this story to life. #GirlswithBadReputations #NetGalley

Thank you NetGalley for this arc & a chance to step outside of my comfort zone with new fiction books. This just wasn’t my cup of tea , nothing genuine wrong I’m just not ready or not a fan of grief.

I found myself struggling with this book, ultimately deciding to DNF it at the 29% mark. Having enjoyed the audiobook of the first installment, "The Girl With Stars in Her Eyes," I was eager for the opportunity to listen to the sequel, "Girls with Bad Reputations." Unfortunately, it did not resonate with me as I had hoped.

While the book wasn't inherently "bad" — the writing flowed well, and it encompassed the tropes I typically enjoy — the pace was dragging. Despite making multiple attempts to listen, I couldn't shake the sense that the story was progressing too slowly for my taste. As a mood reader, I considered that perhaps my mindset wasn't aligned with the book's atmosphere during my initial attempts. However, my struggles continued after setting it aside and coming back after reading something else.

Perhaps I will come back to this at another time and try it again, but as of right now I just couldn't get into it.

The narration was very smooth, however it didn't keep me engaged. I often found myself getting distracted while listening and having to rewind the book to relisten to what I missed.

This audiobook listen was a re-read of this book for me and it was phenomenal! I loved the Dual POV narrators for Kayla and Ty. They did a fantastic job embodying the characters and portraying their emotions. I thought the audio was very well done.

This book was wonderful!!! A black girl drummer in a rock band, living her truth, while being and amazing person!!! I loved every bit of it. I loved Kayla's story, and seeing her being so soft and vulnerable, yet strong and determined to come into her own. The relationship with her mom tripped me out sometimes but I was so happy to see her navigate it in a way that was healthy for her. Seeing her finally freeing herself to express her true feelings and be seen in all her fullness by her mom was such a joy to watch. Sometimes parents want the best for use without realizing how much their machinations can suffocate the growth of the very child they are aiming to successfully propel into this harsh world. The romance between Kayla and Ty was so sweet and wholesome!! I loved Ty's personality,the way he cared for his grandfather, his consideration for Kayla, and him just living in his truth and not letting society dictate the way he showed up in this world. The band members and Kayla's dad were also a wonderful cast to this story. My favorite character was Ty's grandpa, I couldn't get enough of his cooking and love for Ty. This book tackled some big topics, but I appreciated the approach and resolutions we got by the end.
Thank you Netgalley and Dreamscape media for the audio book. The narrators were awesome and really brought the characters to life.

3.75⭐, 2🌶️

Did I choose chaos and listened to this book before reading book one of the series? Yes. HOWEVER, props to Xio because I feel like I didn't miss much (probably some details about Candy in the band and obviously a lot of information about Toni and Seb's relationship.) I'll likely go back and read it because I generally enjoyed this book and loved the girls of The Lily's

Overall, this book felt a bit longer than necessary. The romance felt secondary to both Kayla and Ty's family/ life problems. It was nice that their relationship was low drama, but it just didn't keep me as enthralled as some other books, especially as a Rockstar romance!

Thank you NetGalley and Dreamscape Media for an ALC of Girls with Bad Reputations, written by Xio Axelrod, narrated by Benjamin Charles and Tyla Collier.

Cute romance book loved the characters, the story, and how their relationship developed. Also enjoyed Kayla she was focused on what she wanted to do in her own life. She was a fantastic drummer. Let’s not forget sweet Ty who is loving and cares so much about his grandpa and even though life was not fair to him he was positive and would keep going forward.

𝐆𝐢𝐫𝐥𝐬 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐁𝐚𝐝 𝐑𝐞𝐩𝐮𝐭𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬 (𝑇ℎ𝑒 𝐿𝑖𝑙𝑙𝑦𝑠 #2)
𝐁𝐲 𝐗𝐢𝐨 𝐀𝐱𝐞𝐥𝐫𝐨𝐝
𝐏𝐮𝐛𝐥𝐢𝐬𝐡𝐞𝐫: 𝐒𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐜𝐞𝐛𝐨𝐨𝐤𝐬 𝐂𝐚𝐬𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐚
𝐏𝐮𝐛 𝐃𝐚𝐭𝐞: 𝟐.𝟔.𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟒

Thank you @sourcebookscasa for the #gifted book.

Thank you @dreamscape_media for the gifted audiobook.

I love that Kayla is a female drummer in a rock band! I love that this book addresses that most people assume she’s not the drummer, too. Kayla is a great character; not only is she the drummer for the Lillys, who are about to go on their first official tour, but she’s hiding part of who she is from her bandmates and the world.

As they set out on tour, they hire Ty as their tour bus driver, and Kayla immediately finds she loves talking with Ty. The press looks to dig into their personal lives as Kayla and Ty grow closer - both are afraid of what they will uncover.

I didn’t read the first book, which is not a must, but it may help you understand the dynamics between the bandmates better. Nevertheless, I enjoyed Kayla and Ty’s blossoming relationship, especially when you add Kayla’s overbearing mother and Ty’s super sweet relationship with his granddad.

The descriptions of band and tour life, plus great friendships, made this a fun and entertaining read / listen. But be ready to get hit with some deep feels, too.

Girls With Bad Reputations is a continuation of the journey of The Lillies, an all girl rock band trying to get their big break. In this episode, we go on festival tour and meet drummer Kayla and tour bus driver Ty. Both are keeping some secrets and trying to live their lives on their terms. As an audiobook listener, I was tickled that Ty listens to audiobooks while driving the bus (one earbud for safety!). We have more drama from the label and their former band mate, which isn’t resolved yet. I recommend reading the series in order because of the label and former band mate drama, and the growth of the band.

When I read the first book in The Lillys series, I fell in love with Kayla - the badass, book loving drummer of the group. Getting to know Kayla on a deeper level in this book was such a pleasure.

Kayla and Ty's love is quiet and comfortable, blooming organically. The slow burn was so deliciously painful, but so, so worth it. I enjoyed getting to know Ty - his relationship with his grandfather was adorable.

I cannot wait to get more of The Lillys. Loved the narrators of this book - they did such a wonderful job bringing Kayla & Ty to life.

This is the story of Kayla, the drummer of the Lillys, unfolds beautifully, showcasing her journey from a constrained upbringing to the heart of a rock band on the brink of stardom. Her connection with Ty, the introspective tour bus driver, adds depth to her tale, weaving a narrative rich with themes of self-discovery and resilience. The backdrop of music and the band's camaraderie breathe life into their story, making it a compelling read. This book not only captures the essence of rock and roll but also delves into artists' personal struggles, making it a heartfelt exploration of identity and belonging. A truly engaging read that strikes a chord with its portrayal of love, music, and the quest for personal freedom.

A great slow burn of enemies to lovers! (emphasis on the slow--- but still totally worth it IMO)
This is the second in a series, which was not mentioned, and while I was not confused, I definitely wish I had read the first one so going back to do that now.

This was a great audiobook and it was rich with plot/character development!

This had a fun premise and I enjoyed the slow burn friends to lovers storyline. They had good communication and were very supportive of each other. I loved the female character being a rockstar drummer. I am more of a romance reader and like more romance in my books this one I felt focused more on the found family and the heroine's journey. Overall it was an enjoyable story and I had a good time with it.

if you want a sloooow sloooow romance, then this is for you. There was a lot going on storyline wise. Some were interesting, some were not. Axelrod's writing style was nice so I may try them again. I wish netgalley said this was a 2nd in a series. I wasnt lost, but i wished I read the first first.