A good historical mystery set in a well researched and vivid London in WWI and featuring well plotted characters.
It kept me hooked, guessing and reading.
Recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher for this ARC, all opinions are mine

This book really surprised me. I knew I was going to be reading a book placed in World War II and I knew it would be focused on the German bombings in London at that time. But what I did not realize, for whatever reason on my part, was that this was going to be such a riveting and engaging story about people and a murder investigation.

Pam really hones in on a set of characters that are intertwined with one another and showcases the human element of betrayal and how sometimes you're too close to someone to realize how deceptive they really are. A woman barely survives a bombing after her home has been hit right in the back, but as she's pleading for help out of the rubble, a mysterious figure arrives and ends her life.

The rest of the book lays out for you the daily comings and goings of this family and slowly unfolds the deception and eventual murder of Madeline. I was rather impressed with the detailed storytelling and engaging characters. Truly, I devoured this book quickly and loved it. Pam Lecky is a new to me author and she has lots of books out that now I need to seek out!

WW2 historical mystery

This is a well-written WW2 historical mystery/romance, very readable, with interesting characters, a twisty plot all set in London during the Blitz. It is perfect for your summer escape reading!

Thank you to the publisher who lent me an e-arc via Netgalley. This review is optional and my own opinion.

This is about the people that helped in WW2 to help others. Madeline is trapped in her house after bombings in London,she is still alive but a familiar face strangles her.They are using the blitz to cover their tracks.It is a great story of WW2 but with a different twist of murder.Thank you to Netgalley and Avon books UK

Thanks to the Publisher and Netgalley for an early review copy.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book.

It’s set during the London Blitz, but also different.

We read about the fire wardens and how hard lives were for people as the bombings destroyed properties and loved ones died.

The story was also about murder and crime, how different gangs who didn’t enrol to help out during the war, but instead robbed and stole to line their pockets.

We also meet Madeline, who isn’t having a good life and whether her sister Peggy will realise this and help her.

I recommend this book.

This is a great WWII Historical Fiction with a difference. It’s set during the London Blitz. We learn about the fire wardens, & how dangerous & catastrophic the German bombing was for many with the loss of homes & loved ones. It’s also a crime drama & murder mystery. We learn of rival gangs who’ve evaded call-up & are profiteering. It’s a fascinating look at London life in 1940. Then there’s Madeline. What a tangled web her life is! Can her sister Penny find out the truth? There’s also Historical Romance. Totally riveting. This story captivated me immediately. Highly recommend

"Under a Lightning Sky" by Pam Lecky is a twisty and suspenseful story set in London during the Blitz. This World War II-era murder mystery is a gripping and addictive page-turner that will keep you on the edge of your seat.
The story follows Madeline Fairfax, who is caught in a bombing raid while cooking for her family. When she regains consciousness, she finds herself trapped in the rear of her house, but it's too late - she's been strangled to death. As the police investigate, they discover that Madeline's death may not have been an accident, and it's up to Detective Jamie Barton to unravel the mystery.
I loved how Lecky wove together the threads of Madeline's life, her family, and her relationships to create a complex and intriguing puzzle. The characters are well-developed and multi-dimensional, with even the secondary characters feeling fleshed out. Penny, Madeline's younger sister, is a particularly compelling character - her struggles to cope with her grief and her determination to uncover the truth are relatable and inspiring.
The setting is also expertly handled, with Lecky capturing the atmosphere of fear and uncertainty that pervaded London during the Blitz. The use of real-life events and historical details adds authenticity to the story, making it feel like a true account of life during wartime.
The mystery itself is cleverly constructed, with plenty of twists and turns to keep you guessing until the very end. I loved trying to piece together the clues alongside Detective Barton, and I was completely surprised by the reveal.

Overall "Under a Lightning Sky" is for fans of historical fiction, murder mysteries, or anyone looking for a gripping and suspenseful read. It's a truly unique and captivating tale that will keep you hooked until the very end.

This is a murder mystery. Who is killing in the midst of death and destruction of the blitz.?
London is literally feeling the heat and wrath of Hitler.
So many are putting their lives at risk to put out the fires, find and save the wounded, and provide food and protection.
The detective in this story is hard at work trying to untangle a murder. There are many suspects.
I received a complimentary copy of this book. My opinions are my own.

Another great read from Pam and although it's a wartime story it's slightly different as it deals with crime and murder. I enjoyed this one. My thanks to netgalley and the publishers for giving me the opportunity to read this book in return for an honest review.

A well done mystery set during the Blitz. What really happened to Madeline? Someone killed her, but who? This has all the atmospherics you want combined with a mystery that's twisty enough to keep you guessing. Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC. A good read.

During a bombing raid, Madeline Fairfax is caught in her kitchen whilst cooking for her husband and children. She becomes trapped in the rear of her home, but regains consciousness just in time to see a familiar face, offering hope of rescue. But instead, Madeline is strangled to death. As a dangerous murderer, uses the Blitz to cover their crime, local detective Jamie Barton enlists the help of Madeline's sister, volunteer firefighter Penny Fairfax, to help. Now, caught in a web of uncertainty and mistrust, a grieving Penny must find the truth and do whatever it takes to protect those she loves most.

Madeline Fairfax was making a Christmas pudding when a bomb hots near her home, she's flung across the kitchen and loses conscious for a few minutes. When Madeline comes round and sees a familiar face, but Madeline does not get rescued, she gets strangled instead. The police thought she has been killed by the bombing, but the marks around her neck were discovered at the morgue.

Although this story is set during the Blitz, it's more a murder investigation than a war story. We have two crimes being solved by local Detective Jamie Barton - a jewellery shop robbery and the murder of Madeline Fairfax. Madeline's sister, Penny, is helping solve her sister's murder. We learn some historical facts in this twisted and well-plotted read. This is a quick and enjoyable read.

Published 4th July 2024

I would like to thank #NetGalley #AvonBooksUK and the author #PamLecky for my ARC of #UnderALightningSky in exchange for an honest review.

I am obsessed with reading WW2 historical fiction that takes place in England. The words of authors are the only way I will be able to understand what my relatives went through, survived and, in some cases, thrived. That being said, I usually don't read crime drama. That is until now. I absorbed the story, excited for the crimes to be solved. So thrilling. So exciting.

OH. MY. GOODNESS. I was sucked into the numerous crimes that had to be investigated by the New Scotland Yard. There were so many twists, I didn't think they would have discover who was involved. The interrogations had me wanting to know more. I wanted to help solve the crimes. I needed to know who was involved and why.

Making the inspectors job more challenging was the bombs that the Germans were dropping. Evidence was being buried with debris. Suspects could disappear in the rubble. Suspects could not always provide alibis. After all how many people are watching from the same roof.

This story gave me such detail of what may have happened in the city during the bombings. I am still shocked that one could be driving a long and a building, maybe more than one, could come down. Freaking scary!!!! I don't think I will ever look at a pothole the same way.

I can't believe how naive I have been. I never thought about the gangs taking advantage of bombings. Silly me, thought that the people of England stood together against those trying to destroy others. To think that some took advantage and took everything they could from others breaks my heart. This was definitely an eye opening story.

A family split by war: death, infidelity and terror. There are gang wars, murder, indomitable spirit and love during the London Blitz. The story starts with the seemingly motiveless murder of an innocent woman caught in the Blitz one night. Then there's a theft from a locked jeweller's safe. Are the two linked? Detective Inspector Jamie Barton, coping with an upturn in crime due to the war, certainly thinks so. Auxiliary Fire Officer Penny Fairfax agrees. Together they try to solve the crime and grow to respect each other and perhaps something more. A strong cast of characters and a good storyline that whips along make this a great read.

During the London Blitz, Madeline Fairfax becomes trapped in her home after a bomb detonates nearby. When her body is found the next morning, it first appears that Madeline is just another victim of the relentless bombing. Soon Detective Jamie Barton is called to the medical examiner’s office only to be told Madeline was murdered. Barton quickly connects Madeline to the victims of a recent robbery. Are these two events connected?

Suspects abound and Jamie enlists the help of Madeline’s sister Penny, a volunteer firefighter doing her part for the war effort, to help. They discover that not many people liked Madeline, but which one didn’t like her enough to kill her?

Pam Lecky’s “Under the Lightning Sky” is a twisty mystery with many clues and lots of misdirection. Just when you think you’ve figured out who the killer is, another clue is revealed and you have to take a step back and reassess. It’s a page-turner that immerses the reader in wartime London.

“Under a Lightning Sky” is great for those who enjoy WWII historical fiction and historical mysteries.

I received an advance review copy for free from NetGalley and Avon Books UK, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.

I really enjoyed this book. Pam Lecky does a great job of painting a picture of what life must have been like. Her characters and the story are very well written.

I stopped reading at 45% because I just couldn’t get into the book. I feel that by 45% in, a plot should be established and there should be some sort of excitement that draws the reader in and keeps them intrigued to finish the book.

Under A Lightning Sky is a gripping mystery set during WWII. I enjoyed the plot and found it interesting that a murder takes place during the Blitz over London. Pam Lecky weaves a tale of suspense, mystery and betrayal, together beautifully.

The Miller family is devastated when their married daughter is killed during an air raid and the ensuing investigation reveals shocking details. The story keeps you guessing about who did it until the end. I would recommend this book as it was a very good read.

Thank you to NetGalley and Avon Books UK for an advanced copy of this book.

✨4.5 stars✨

This is my first time reading a book by this author and I really enjoyed this book!

This is a murder mystery set during the Second World War in London during the Blitz. I found this book really easy and quick to read and the investigation into the murder had me invested throughout.

I would recommend this book to people who enjoy murder mysteries as this was perfectly executed in my opinion and I am excited to read more from this author in the future!!

I received an ARC from the publishers via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Madeline Fairfax boys have been evacuated to the country, she’s making a Christmas pudding when she’s caught in a bombing raid and doesn’t make it to the streets shelter in time. Madeline can hear the planes getting closer, suddenly there’s a big bang and she feels herself being flung across the room and when she comes around she trapped in the back of her house, Madeline sees a familiar face and she's relieved to be found. Madeline is killed and not rescued, initially the police assume she died in the raid and from the wounds she sustained, until they notice some suspicious marks on her body at the morgue and it’s up to detective Jamie Barton to solve the case.

Penny Miller is Madeline’s younger sister, she works in the family’s jewellery store during the day and as a volunteer firefighter at night. Penny has never liked her brother-in-law Arthur, in fact she told Madeline not to marry the older solicitor and it drove a wedge between them.

The Metropolitan Police have been busy during the Blitz, the bombings and blackout creates the perfect cover and environment for criminals who are involved in gang violence, the black market and stealing from damaged houses. Detective Barton starts by interviewing the people closest to Madeline, her parents, sister and husband, and he finds out she’s rather impulsive and headstrong. He has to consider was Madeline she bored with her life and did she cheat on her spouse, or did she get mixed up with the wrong people and have money problems? Jamie looks at the evidence again and he re-interviews neighbours and Penny gives him a couple of clues.

I received a copy of Under a Lightening Sky by Pam Lecky from Avon Books UK and NetGalley in exchange for an unbiased review. Beginning just before Christmas 1940, I have never read a murder mystery set during the Second World War and it certainly adds to the uncertainty, suspense and makes it harder to solve the crime. Due to evidence being destroyed by the bombing or it changed the scene of the crime, so many people didn’t have a permanent address and it made it harder to follow up alibis and leads.

A narrative full of lots of twists and turns and I didn't guess who the killer was. Mistrust and deceit, uncertainty and secrets are hidden in the story line and I liked detective Barton’s and Penny’s characters (they would make a wonderful couple and this book could be a great way to start off a historical suspense series) and five stars from me and I highly recommend.

“London is under attack, but within the rubble, a greater danger lurks…”

The magic of historical fiction for me is that it truly makes me feel like I’m experiencing life in another era. I’m always excited when I find an author who expertly combines fictional characters with real settings and events and presents it in such a way that makes it all feel visceral.

Lecky creates a rich picture of everyday life in Blitz-weary London.

I stopped and re-read the first chapter a couple of times because I’d never read such a realistic-sounding portrayal of the confusion and disbelief the air raid caused. Of course people would become confused if the nightly raids for the past three months were predictable! I’d never thought of that nor how people would be so focused on (in this case, the pudding needing 10 more minutes to cook) what they were doing and the interruption the raid caused. Perhaps getting to safety wasn’t first and foremost in peoples’ thoughts as I’d imagined. I love a different spin on the familiar.

Where most authors (at least the ones I’ve read recently) focus on the British air defense during the Blitz, Lecky focuses on the civilian victims. She does touch upon the ‘Blitz Spirit’, the stoic acceptance, and the heartwarming human connections that resulted from the disaster but her focus quickly segues to the crimes perpetrated under the cover of the bombings. Lecky capably immerses her readers in a world where detectives had their hands full dealing with the destruction caused and had little time to investigate crime….and shows them the ‘perfect storm’ created for criminals to have a field day.

The opening scene prepared me for what Lecky had in store and was the ‘carrot’ I needed to keep reading while she prepared the backgrounds for DI Jamie Barton and DS Lyle. I enjoyed the fusion of historical fiction and crime, thought her twists were great, and loved the mystery and ensuing investigation. The possibility of a Fairfax family devotion coming into play and readers’ awareness of Madeline Fairfax’s secret intentions gives plenty to ponder while attempting to solve the crime.

This standalone murder mystery set during the Blitz was a refreshing read in this genre.

I was gifted this copy by Avon Books UK and NetGalley and was under no obligation to provide a review.