The Baby by A J McDine and narrated by Tamsin Kennard was a superb and gripping psychological thriller with a jaw-dropping twist that was just excellent from start to finish.

The day I was told I’d never be able to have a child, my world came crashing down all around me! My husband Miles, says "he still loves me" but I lie awake at night, wishing we could have a family. Our little family made by me and him.

Then, one morning, I woke up and my husband’s side of the bed is cold and empty.
I hear a noise and head downstairs to see what it was.

In the middle of the rug in my living room is a wooden drawer. They are all wrapped up, they have perfect rosy cheeks and beautiful round blue eyes, a baby gazes up at me.

I shiver. It’s all I’ve ever wanted was a baby I could hold and love etc, but this baby is not mine…......

OMG!!!!

Who's does she belong to?

Did I take her last night and forgot I did it?

This book is full of brilliant twists and turns throughout that will have you sitting on the edge of your seat and the end WoW Just excellent!!! Superb!

I highly recommend this audiobook..........and I really felt for Lucy as I can't have children and I will always remember the day I was told I can never have children etc and my Hubby loves me! But you feel something is missing in your marriage!!!!

Big Thank you to Netgalley, Bookouture and Bookouture Audio for providing me with an ARC.

I thought I’d hit a reading slump and was really struggling to get into books again. Until I read this. What an absolutely amazingly written book (it helps that I love babies!) There was so many twists and turns that every time I thought I’d figured out what was going on something else was happening and even another twist right on the last page. This book was so good, and I will recommend it to other people as well. It was fast paced and a quick page turner, I managed to read it within one evening as I just couldn’t put it down.

Omg this was amazing! Such an original storyline and such a twist on the missing baby storyline of most other domestic thrillers. I can't say I liked the characters much but they were definitely written to be very problematic and dislikeable lol. They commented to being such vile people! Good twists and turns, I flew through it

Three-Star Review for 'The Baby' by AJ McDine

I recently read an advanced reader's copy of The Baby by AJ McDine, published by Bookouture, and I found it to be a mixed experience. The novel delves into heavy themes such as gaslighting, emotional abuse, miscarriage, and alcoholism, but I felt these issues were not handled with the sensitivity or depth they deserved. The portrayal of alcoholism, in particular, felt a bit off and lacked nuance.

One of my major issues with the book was its predictability. From the beginning, it was clear where the story was heading, especially concerning the husband's behavior. There was little effort to disguise his manipulative and abusive nature, making the plot feel formulaic and devoid of suspense. It was also puzzling why so many women in the story fell for his charms, despite his obvious red flags.

The protagonist's decision to move overseas with him after only four weeks of knowing him seemed especially unrealistic and difficult to relate to. The character decisions throughout the story often didn't make much sense, which further hampered my engagement with the plot.

Additionally, the ending felt a little too perfect and implausible. Without giving away any spoilers, the resolution wrapped up in a way that didn't seem believable given the complexities and seriousness of the issues presented throughout the novel.

Overall, while The Baby touches on important topics, the lack of depth in handling these issues, along with a predictable plot, implausible character decisions, and an unrealistic ending, left me wanting more from the story. It’s a thought-provoking read but one that could benefit from more complexity and sensitivity in its portrayal of difficult subjects.

A woman wakes up with a hangover and a baby. She doesn’t know where the baby came from – it’s definitely not hers, and she doesn’t remember taking it. Her drinking problem doesn’t help much, because our heroine is too used to not remembering things.

First of all, it was a fun book. It is fast-paced, it’s ok-written, the characters are interesting to follow. We have unrelatable narrator, we have a secret, we have the picture-perfect husband (who obviously has secrets in his own). It’s a default thriller as I like to call them. It’s intriguing, it’s easy to read, it’s quickly digestible, it’s predictable to a point, but it’s still – and it’s the most important thing! – fun.

Yes, I could predict almost all the twists. Yes, it is clear from the start who the villain is. Yes, the writing is simple. Yes, it’s unrealistic.
But it was fun! I liked it ❤️

Incredible!!! What a book!!! I flew through this because it was literally impossible to put down.

It was immediately fast paced, which I loved, and there were so many questions! The main one being, why has Lucy woken up with a baby in a drawer in her living room?!

The story encompasses a lot of hard hitting issues, including domestic abuse, baby loss (trigger warning for this because that particular scene is pretty hard to read), gaslighting and alcoholism. All dealt with brilliantly.

At first Lucy is quite a hard character to warm to, but as you learn her story this becomes easier and you end up rooting for her.

The drama in this book is excellent and I would highly recommend. This is the first book I have read by AJ McDine and it certainly won't be my last.

Thanks to Netgalley, Bookouture and AJ McDine for a copy of this book in return for an honest review.

The Baby was a fantastic read. The description really intrigued me and the twists and turns were great and kept me on the edge of my seat throughout.

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for my ARC.

A.J.Mcdine has done it again! And think it might be my favourite so far! I literally loved this book... the suspense, the issues addressed, the plot twists! My heart broke for the protagonist and all she lost and faced losing, and I disliked Miles profusely. Most of the plot twists were complete surprising, although I did guess one key one (was rather proud of this).

Adored the ending, and couldnt put it down!! Must read!

Thank you to Netgalley and Bookouture for this Advanced Copy!

Lucy wakes up one morning, with no memory of the night before. She hears a noise and goes to investigate. She finds a baby asleep in her living room-only she has no children.

She’s always wanted a baby, but she can’t have children of her own. So the big question is, whose baby is this? And where did he come from?

This was a fast paced thriller with little twists that’ll keep you guessing! The plot is soo good and the characters are easy to like.

If you like suspense novels, definitely add this one to your TBR👀

This was a fun domestic thriller! I really enjoyed the characters and pacing of the book, and absolutely loved the ending. The plot also took turns I wasn't expecting, which always make a thriller read that much better. As a new mom, the baby component really pulled on my heart strings. The only reason I didn't give 5 stars is because I felt like the mom-baby component wasn't totally captured right - the baby is really young and the challenges of babies at that age were either glossed over or not captured, which made the story a little less believable. But otherwise, this is a great quick read!

Wow, this one was gripping and had me on the edge of my seat!

Lucy and Miles are a happy couple that have decided not to have kids, or, well Miles decided they didn't want kids. Lucy likes to drink, and Miles is often gone for work. While Miles is gone for work, Lucy wakes up to a baby in their house, that seems to have just appeared from nowhere. She is racking her brain to figure out what she did during the previous nights drunken adventure and where the mystery baby came from. Lucy immediately bonded with the baby, and when Miles suddenly returns home unexpected from his work travel, things start to go downhill from there.

I really enjoyed this book! I think I saw some of the plot twists coming, but it didn't make the read any less enjoyable. I found myself rooting for Lucy, even though in other scenarios she could've been a character I didn't like. You really feel for her being with Miles and it makes you warm to her.

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for the ARC (Advance Reader Copy) of The Baby by AJ McDine. It is my first book by this author and I will be sure to look for more. This book was very entertaining and easy to read. It was a fast read and it had a couple of twists. For those who enjoy a good domestic thriller, this one is worthwhile. The one thing that negatively impacted me was the amount of repetition. Readers don't need quite so much of it. I gave it 4 stars because I did enjoy it.

Oh how I loved this book! I love missing baby tropes so this was amazing to me! The FMC was very unpredictable which added to the suspense factor because you really weren’t sure what she did. Her struggle and want for motherhood was very relatable. I loved her as a character because I found her sympathetic and the plot was well put together and very fast paced! Thriller lovers will love this book!

Really enjoyed this book .had plenty of twists and every time I thought I had figured it out there was another one . Enjoyed it from start to finish and kept me hooked . Highly recommend

This is the first book I've read by McDine and I can see I've definitely been missing out. The Baby is brilliant thriller/domestic drama that I really enjoyed.

It's told across dual timeline and is narrated by Lucy, Miles wife. Lucy is quite a heavy drinker, it's her emotional crutch and masks the fact that she will never be a mother.

The plot is highly addictive and McDine takes us on a fast paced, twisty ride, full of suspense as we begin our search for the baby's mother.

With alcohol-induced amnesia often ending up with confusing memories for Lucy, her most recent experience rocks her at her core. When she awakes after being passed out after another night of drinking and discovers a baby in her living room, she tries to reach the furthest part of her brain to try and remember whose baby it is and how the baby go there. With her husband Miles away while working on an oil rig, Lucy panics when she thinks of him coming back home to discover the presence of a baby.

Here’s the thing. Miles always said that he did not want them to have children. But, with no news alerts popping up about a missing baby, Lucy fantasizes about keeping it. As this is a psychological thriller, the tension in this book kept me riveted to my Kindle screen. The twist was a jaw-dropper that really surprised me. One thing I will say, Miles reaction was a surprise, both to Lucy and to me as well. I love how this book was written and how compelling it was to read. Kudos to Ms. Mcdine. I will be back for more.

Many thanks to Bookouture and to NetGalley for this ARC for review. This is my honest opinion.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for this ARC!

I had a lot of fun with this book. More than anything, this book is, in substance, a fun ride, which is the nicest thing to find in a thriller book. I so much enjoyed the mystery of this story, and it provided a great twist on something that had maybe been done in different ways before. There was a wonderful undercurrent of menace running through this, and it did carry really well.

Lucy falls quietly into a 'potentially unreliable' narrator bucket, with a lot to say but also a very muddled up view of life. She finds a baby in her house one day - but the catch is, she's never had a baby. In picking him up, she finds things changed forever. While it's tough to review this one without spoilers, it can be a little predictable at some points, but sneaks in with some twists that you don't quite expect throughout.

This is a good one to curl up with on a rainy day and get right into the mystery with a good cuppa. It's a wild ride, and definitely keeps you gripped through the story.

This is quite the psychological thriller with some crazy twists!
Lucy is a sympathetic character I felt for her. Wanting so badly the baby that ended up in her home, she encountered betrayal & secrets in determining where he came from. She found a lot more happening in her life than she ever realized right up until the treachery on the last page.

Thank you, AJ McDine, Bookouture & netgalley for my copy! All opinions are my own.

I really enjoyed reading The Baby by A.J McDine it was a brilliant read and different from the many other thrillers I have read in the past.

Lucy wakes up after a night of heavy drinking and discovers a baby in here living room. Lucy has no idea how the baby got there, she has no memory of the night before and comes to the conclusion she must have stolen him.

Although Lucy knows she should go straight to the police with the baby, she has always wanted a baby of her own so decides to leave it for a bit, and besides even if she went to the police she has no idea what she would tell them.

Over the next few days Lucy starts to bond with baby ‘wren’ whilst also trying to work out in her mind exactly how Wren came to be living with her, but all that happens is Lucy draws a blank.

When Miles comes home after working away he is furious to discover a baby in his home, he challenges his wife and storms off, demanding Lucy does the right thing and takes him to the police station. Just as Lucy is heading out Miles comes home after having a change of heart and convinces Lucy they can all be a happy family of three.

Whilst Lucy and Miles are bonding with Wren Lucy is still determined to work out in her mind exactly how she has come to be in this position. Upon her quest for answers Lucy discovers a few home truth about Miles. Before Wren came into their lives Lucy was a heavy drinker, but since having a baby in her care Lucy stopped and now her head is clearer than ever she comes to see how controlling Miles is of her.

As more secrets about Miles, Lucy discovers just how manipulative he has been and still is. When Lucy is contacted by Shona a woman from Edinburgh who Lucy has never met before, claiming she knows things about Miles, Lucy decides to pay Shona a visit to see exactly what she knows. Soon the truth comes out and things turn out to be much more deadly and darker than Lucy could have imagined.

I was hooked on the baby right from the start, it was a fast paced, exciting read with plenty going on to keep the reader interested. I can honestly say I loved every word I read and would certainly recommend this book.

Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher and the author for an advance copy of this book in exchange for this review.