Cover Image: Midwestern Gothic

Midwestern Gothic

So far in 2024 this is in my top 3. Every story was great and loved the the Kill Creek throwback/same universe stuff. Scott Thomas deserves to be included in the upper echelon of horror/thriller writers. 5 incredible stars

Okay let’s just say I absolutely LOVED this so so much! I love how spooky I actually felt from these short stories! Each story more thrilling than the last. Each one pulls you in a different direction of thrills and horror, so if one story doesn't chill you, then next one is sure to

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for this ARC!

I know that this one has already received a lot of praise, and I can understand that this is definitely a good cup of tea for others. However, unfortunately, this one was just not for me. I found the horror elements of the stories a bit lacking, and unfortunately they just weren't fleshed out enough.

I think this book was trying to be as spooky as the name let on, but there was just some pieces missing for me. I was hopeful that the short stories would be tightly woven horror and that there was going to be some more detail fleshed out in the plot, but unfortunately that wasn't the case. They dragged on, but not quite in the right way.

I do think the writing style was enjoyable and there were some beautifully phrased bits, but all around, unfortunately, this one was just not for me,

Thank you to Netgalley, and the publisher for a chance to review this book.

This was a fun book filled with four short stories. Each one different than the last. If you've read 'Kill Creek' then you should enjoy this one too.

Each story more thrilling than the last. Each one pulls you in a different direction of thrills and horror, so if one story doesn't chill you, then next one is sure to. I look forward to whatever Scott Thomas puts out next.

A novel that delves into the eerie and surreal aspects of life in the American Midwest, wrapped in the aesthetics and mood of a gothic tale. The story generally revolves around unsettling and mysterious events that uncover the darker underbelly of small-town America, blending horror elements with the pastoral settings of the Midwest. The novel explores themes such as isolation, the decay of the rural landscape, and the haunting legacies that linger in these communities. Midwestern Gothic tends to use the environment—its vast fields, decaying farms, and quiet towns—as a character in itself, contributing to the overall atmosphere of suspense and foreboding. Thomas weaves together the supernatural with the mundane, creating a chilling portrayal of a region that is both familiar and disturbingly strange. This genre, often reflecting a sense of despair and decline, provides a perfect backdrop for a gothic tale set against an American rural landscape.

Interesting read. I enjoy this authors style of writing. It leaves me excited to read more of his work. Great character development

MIDWESTERN GOTHIC by Scott Thomas is everything I loved about Kill Creek. The tension, the atmosphere, and the land. The damn haunted land. Taking inspiration from the four authors in Kill Creem, each short story here is a blast. The Boy in the Woods is my favorite. A beautiful take on camp horror, and I love how the trope is set on its head. A little bit of Friday the 13th Jason origin buy only Jason is the hero in this one. At least how I interpreted it. These are four utterly horrifying, buy more importantly, entertaining and satisfying. Highly recommend.

This collection of novellas from Kill Creek author Scott Thomas was a definite win for me. I did read Kill Creek in preparation for this, but it isn’t necessary. Kill Creek fans will enjoy how each novella honors one of the authors in the previous work.

The first, about an abducted construction worker, was probably the weakest in the collection for me, It took me longer to get through and didn’t chill me as much as the rest. Next, a young woman discovers her town’s link to an old folk tale. While not viscerally scary, it did resonate with me, and was one of my favorites. In The Boy in the Woods, a young boy’s camp experience turns into a slasher nightmare, and my favorite, One Half of a Child’s Face, deals with a woman clinging to her child through a custody battle with her ex-husband.

Some of these stories hit differently and I had varying reactions to all, but overall it was extremely positive. I love the setting and the tie ins to Kill Creek. Will definitely read anything by Scott Thomas in the future.

This book was neat! It’s a collection of 4 novellas that I believe are deeper dives into some other books that Scott has written, but you don’t need to read them to enjoy these stories (I haven’t!)

The first two were good and filled with lots of dread, the 3rd story really fucked me up haha and the 4th was a masterpiece! Truly so well thought out and executed.

Thanks Netgalley for the ARC 😊 would def pick this one up if you are into creepy mid paced thrillers specifically centered around small towns in the Midwest.

In MIDWESTERN GOTHIC, author Scott Thomas (Kill Creek) offers up four very enjoyable horror tales. These novellas were creepy and messed with my head in all the best ways.
The BOY in the WOODS was my personal favorite.

Check it out!

Midwestern Gothic was incredible. I am a huge fan of the macabre, creepy, unsettling, all that is gothic and this story collection knocked it out of the park! My goodness, this was such a refreshing read. I finished it within a night and it left me staring at the wall when I finished. I recommended this to my book club and hope we pick it up in the fall ! This is such a great read for spooky season!

It’s official: Scott Thomas can do no wrong! I’ve adored every single one of his novels. Short story collections aren’t my favorite genre, but I decided to take a chance on one of my favorite authors. I’m sure glad I did! Midwestern Gothic has everything I love about Thomas’s works: compelling plots, well-developed characters, and truly chilling scares. The first two stories were 5 stars, the second two 4 stars. Can’t wait to see what Thomas comes up with next. I will be adding the hard copy of this collection to my library as soon as it comes out.

“It’s not one shadow we live in but a series of shadows cast by objects we don’t even know are there. Most people focus only on the sunlight because that’s the way you get through life—you think of warmth and try to ignore the shiver that runs down your spine or the prickling of your skin when you suddenly pass unexpectedly through darkness.”

Scott Thomas’s new creepy collection includes four novellas that show the real face of the American heartland. Set in Blantonville, Kansas which will be familiar to those who have read “Kill Creek”, each story unveils the true horror that runs deep into the history of this land.

“The Door in the Field” is about a construction worker who goes for drinks at night at a strange bar near the woods. This leads him down a bloody path.

In “The Boy in the Woods”, a young boy named Eddie is bullied for the way he looks. At the end of summer camp he has to spend an extra day with the councillors. All is as expected until night time when something infects them and Eddie has to fight or kill to survive.

“One half of a child’s Face” is dark story about a women who shares custody of her daughter with her ex and his girlfriend. From her home she can see into their apartment and finds herself watching them. However in the neighbouring apartment she notices a strange new painting, over the following days the children of this apartment complex circle around it as though its been calling to them. Here is where the horrors become real.

“Wear your secret like a Stone” is about a store clerk who has her halloween book of choice recommendation removed from the shelves after a customer complains about it being too gory and inappropriate. Hell bent on knowing why she tries to find this customer. This leads her to secrets she wasn’t prepared for.

This collection is a great example of gothic horror. Each story encapsulates these traits really well and leaves the reader feeling unsettled yet wanting more.

I have enjoyed reading this collection and having previously read Kill Creek it was fun to see little references made to that novel.

Overall a great wee collection fans of gothic horror will enjoy.

Four Novellas in one, and a lot to take in. Those who enjoyed Kill Creek will dive into these and get lost.
They have the same thrill and excitement.
Highly recommended.

Scott Thomas returns with Midwestern Gothic, a collection of four novellas loosely interconnected under what we can perhaps begin to see as the “Thomas extended universe.” Events and characters from Kill Creek are referenced in each story, but aren’t overtly necessary for your comprehension. This collection feels a bit backloaded as the final two are superior than the opening couple, but each has its moments to shine. Scary and suspenseful, as we’ve come to expect from Thomas.

There's a lot to like in this collection of novellas from Scott Thomas. For starters, fans of his debut novel, Kill Creek, will be treated to each of the stories included referencing, and in some cases centering around the four authors from the aforementioned book. If you haven't read it (though you should) the inclusion does not necessitate any previous knowledge to enjoy the story. True to its name, Midwestern Gothic focuses in on the heartland. These are stories of strangeness set in small-town rural America, and arguably, the setting for each one acts as a hinge on the plot, excepting perhaps "One Half of a Child's Face". If you need any further selling points, the collection clocking in at over 400 pages gives every story a fair amount of breathing room, providing fleshed-out worlds and living characters.
"The Door in the Field" mixes cursed media, true crime, and an unsettling cosmic backdrop for a story that races out of the gate. "Wear Your Secret Like a Stone" scratches that 'small town with a sordid history' itch, and as such, was my favorite in the collection. "The Boy in the Woods" sees Thomas putting his own unique spin on Friday the 13th and Nick Cutter's The Troop, promising to make it a reader favorite. Finally, "One Half of a Child's Face" takes us home with a little Rear Window, and dare I say, some Ghostbusters 2.
Overall, a strong collection where each story feels fully realized without overstaying its welcome. Completely human without ever losing sight of the things that go bump in the night.

Four novellas display human nature in its scariest form while fighting for survival. These downright creepy, haunting stories will stay with the reader long after the final page. Each tale portrayed characters with distinct personalities and the choices they made when faced with the horrors in their world. This was my first from this author, and I have to say, I am dying to read his previous work if this was any indication of his talent for storytelling. These were exceedingly descriptive, with fully developed characters, which is a nearly impossible feat for novellas. Each story had an originality that you don't see often when you read as much as I do. With a gothic, haunting atmosphere, this was a brilliant read for any horror fan out there. Four Stars.

Thank you, Netgalley and Inkshares, for this ARC.

Scott Thomas is a master of horror and “Midwestern Gothic” is a terrifyingly terrific collection. 4 knockout Novellas that will have you thanking the horror gods for Scott Thomas. I was in a bit of a reading rut and this collection snapped me out of it. Thomas gave us one of the finest haunted house novels ever in “Kill Creek” and here he works in the same universe but delivers starkly different horrors. While there are some connecting threads each one stands on its own as a masterwork of horror storytelling. While he may not be as “prolific” as some, in my opinion he can stand along side the horror greats. Read it! Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC.

What a delicious taste of the sweat and fear I've come to expect from southern-style gothic horror. This collection explores the oppressive overbalance of the Bible Belt so well, and it truly forces the reader to engage with their discomfort both while reading but long after you put each story down. This book truly evokes that discomfort, the heat, the terror, and the dread of long American summer nights I'm sure many people can relate to. Definitely pick this one up! I'll be sure to read the author's other work after enjoying this one so much.

This was my first time reading a book by Scott Thomas and I'm definitely interested in reading his other work now! This is a collection of four novellas, my favorite being the last one. They all maintained tension throughout and did also make sense as a collection. The stories were creepy, and the characters were compelling.
Thank you to NetGalley for the ARC!