Cover Image: Burning Sky

Burning Sky

Lori Benton’s masterful storytelling breathes love, life, and emotion across the dusty pages of history. Over two centuries later, the spirit of the frontier continues to inspire and encourage us. Women like Willa vulnerably display the beauty of femininity with deep, heartbreaking love and graceful, empowering faith to this day.

Benton is without a doubt one of my all-time favorite authors. I love the way the author unapologetically exposes the raw emotional experiences her characters endure while faithfully crafting word pictures worthy of the vivid and artistic splendor of God’s creation which they represent. I highly recommend this book and eagerly anticipate this author’s future works.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher and was under no obligation to post a review. The opinions expressed are my own.
Look at that cover!

"April, New York Frontier, 1784, The woman who had been Burning Sky had kept off the warrior path that came down from the north through mountains, along the courses of river and creeks."

Burning Sky was born with the name Willhelmina Obenchain but prefers Willa. "Willa Obenchain had been an Indian captive." Mohawk. She is returning to her parents homestead.  Just after reaching her childhood home, she finds out her parents are missing.  She speaks with her long lost best friend and discovers that the towns people knew them to have been taken away as Loyalists.  Their homestead is to be auctions off soon and sold.

Neil MacGregor finds himself lost in an unknown place, without his horse and supplies.  He is injured and Willa finds him, treats his wounds and brings him back to her place.

Richard Waring is an old love interest for the then 14 year old Willa.  She comes to find that war has changed Richard.  He intends to buy her families land.

Willa struggles to find peace with her life.  She has lost her Mohawk husband and her two young girls.  The people in town distrust her because she has been living with savages for 12 years.  People tell her she is despoiled.  Willa fights between two worlds.  Her Mohawk people and trying to find her old self.  Then Joseph Tames his horses, is a tribe brother of Willa's who has followed her home.  Joseph finds some lost children and brings them to Willa.

I enjoyed this book but I also found it slow.  I understood Willa to be a good character.  The author really took her time in setting Willa up for the reader to understand.  She has an inner struggle.  "Was she meant to remain Burning Sky of the Wolf Clan? Should she have gone to Niagara? Should she still go?"  Once she learns of her parents being gone, I feel like it would have been easy to just leave and finish her life with the Mohawks.  But she is a strong woman who stuck it out and that is this book.

This book is about overcoming struggles and not giving up.  Every character had to overcome some decision that had to do with this topic.

I liked the book.  It was hard to get into.  The writing is a bit long winded, fluffy and different then what I'm used to.  It took me a few chapters to really find the story but once I picked it up, I was able to plow along and finish the book.

I think Willa's home is in Canada.  I think a lot of American's don't know the history of Canada during the Revolution because we are taught about the reason of the war and hone in on that, leaving out the rest of North America.  Canada was affect by the Revolution and many people who still thought following the Crown was in our best interest were called Loyalists.  Most Loyalists fled to Canada to avoid death and persecution.  They didn't fare well there either, especially after the war ended.  It's an interesting history.

The author didn't expand upon Willa's parents, which is okay.  Benton added in what the reader needed to know about her parents.  I think there could have been a bit more about the history here but it wasn't essential to the story.

The book is written in the third [person.  The narrative changes from Willa to Joseph.  Joseph was in most of the book.  He is an important character but I feel like his character wasn't nearly as developed as Willa.  For me, there are still some questions about Joseph.

There is talk of God and his intentions upon our lives.  Joseph was a Christian and Neil was a believer in Christ so there is some spots where Christianity and the Bible are mentioned.

Overall, I'm not sure this book is one I would go back to. I am glad I read it.  I think it offers some good talking points and points to ponder.  Might make a good book club choice.  It is a clean book.  There are some spots with fighting.  I wouldn't consider this a romance at all.  There are hints of romance but this is a story about survival, choices to we make and living with regrets.

Content: some violence, sexually clean, no language.

I received a copy from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Another great Lori Benton book.

I absolutely fell in love with the characters of this book, and found myself caught up in all the trials they had to endure. Definitely hard to put down.

I really enjoyed how their faith was portrayed - real and at times flawed, while still inspiring. The way scripture was quoted was not forced.

Very enjoyable