Rating 3.5 stars.

Wolf Tracks is a fast paced wilderness crime novel. Mark McCabe, our main character is a special agent from Fish and Wildlife Services and is fresh off two years undercover working in poaching rings. Upon his return home he gets a call from the FBI stating that his ex-girlfriend, biologist Jesse Hall's vehicle was discovered riddled with bullets and the wolf pack she was studying was found dead. She's missing and McCabe is stubborn in believing she's alive, he won't hear of anything else. He begins to work with the FBI as a wilderness consultant but he also searches all angles on his own time. He knows she's out there and he's dead set on finding her.

This was fast paced from the get go and did not slow down once. There are a lot of character names and people you get introduced to, and it made the book give off the feeling of a chop show episode. Where you'll see the characters in the next episode. It has great ambience when it's describing the mountains and rivers and the forest. Gives me the feeling of Longmire in that way.

I'd like to thank Kirk Russell, NetGalley and Strawberry Creek LLC for this eARC in exchange for an honest review.

Trigger warnings I gathered: kidnapping, drugs, gun violence, animal death, animal cruelty, rape, alzheimers, cancer

What worked for me: the atmospheric wilderness setting, the character of Mikayla Herbert.

What didn't work for me: the abundance of undistinguishable side characters, the repetitive pacing.

This was a wonderfully done novel, it had a great overall feel to this and worked with the wilderness of the story. The characters were everything that I wanted and thought the overall feel worked with them. Kirk Russell does a great job in writing this and I enjoyed all the elements of this book.

This book grabbed my attention from the get-go. It starts strong and ends strong.

When Mark McCabe learns that his ex-girlfriend’s truck is found abandoned and riddled with bullets, he consults with the FBI to find out what happened to her. He isn’t privy to much information as he’s not an FBI agent, but he is determined to find Jesse and hopes to find her alive, even as most of his leads end up being a dead-end.

There is much drama and suspense in this thriller. The descriptions of the wilderness and wildlife make the story even better. Thank you, NetGalley and Strawberry Creek LLC for the advanced reader copy.

I was hooked from page one and could not turn the pages fast enough. I really enjoyed the character of Special Agent Mark McCabe and his skepticism of the “by the book” FBI agents he is asked to assist in pursuing leads for his missing ex-girlfriend. The suspense is believable and non-stop. If you enjoy the outdoors with plenty of action, this is a definite must read. I hope the author plans additional adventures for McCabe! I received an ARC from NetGalley, and the opinions expressed are my own.