‘When I’m the President’ by Samantha Pillay is a delightful children's book that inspires young readers to dream big and think about their future ambitions. Through engaging storytelling and vibrant illustrations, this book encourages children to imagine themselves in leadership roles and to consider the positive impact they can have on the world.

Plot: ★★★★☆
The plot of ‘When I’m the President’ is very cute and well-suited for children. It follows the journey of a young child who dreams of becoming the President. The narrative is simple yet powerful, capturing the essence of youthful imagination and the desire to make a difference. The story is well-paced and keeps young readers interested as they follow the protagonist's vision of a better future.

Character: ★★★★☆
The main character is relatable to many children who have big ideas and aspirations. The book does a great job of portraying the character's enthusiasm and determination, making it easy for young readers to connect with and be inspired by the protagonist. The character's journey is a reflection of the dreams and ambitions that many children harbour, making it a motivating read.

Illustrations: ★★★★☆
The illustrations in this book are colourful and clear, adding a vibrant visual element to the story. The artwork effectively complements the narrative, bringing the protagonist's dreams to life in a visually appealing way. The use of bright colours and detailed illustrations helps to engage young readers and keep their attention throughout the book.

Engagement: ★★★★☆
Engagement is solid, particularly for children who have big ideas for their future. The book encourages young readers to think about their own aspirations and the impact they can have on the world. The storyline and illustrations work together to keep children interested and motivated, making it an inspiring and thought-provoking read.

Readability: ★★★★☆
The readability of ‘When I’m the President’ is quite good. The language is simple and accessible, making it easy for young readers to understand and follow along. The book is well-written and the sentences flow smoothly, making it an enjoyable read whether it is read aloud or independently.

Enjoyment: ★★★★☆
This book is very enjoyable, especially for children who may have big ideas and dreams for their future. The inspiring storyline and engaging illustrations make it a pleasure to read. It’s a book that can spark imagination and ambition in young readers, encouraging them to think about their own potential and the possibilities that lie ahead.

‘When I’m the President’ by Samantha Pillay is a charming and inspiring children's book that encourages young readers to dream big and envision a bright future. With a cute plot, relatable character, colourful illustrations, and solid engagement, it is a wonderful read for children who have big ideas and aspirations. This book is sure to be an enjoyable and motivating addition to any child's library.

I absolutely adore this Dreaming is Believing series. Inspiring our young ones to begin thinking about how they will contribute to society one day, and providing the foundations for ideals of leadership, is such an ambitious effort. However, these books are engaging and feel lightweight, so the empowerment messages are easy to enjoy.

When I'm the President even makes me, at 60 years old, feel like I can still make a difference, can still inspire and do good. And a small part of me is so excited about the idea of a woman in the White House before I leave this earth.

Loved the illustrations and overall concept but I think the author could have approached the idea of a fair and just president a bit more creatively. There wasn't much of a story. here. It would have been okay to give the main character a bit more of an identity in the beginning.

Short and to the point it tells the story of a little girl and what she would do if she became president. From world peace to solving difficult problems she has a whole list. I did find the repeating of When I Am President an unneeded addition. The illustrations are vivid and very engaging. This book does say what we all wish a president to be. I think it is for ages 4 and 5 as younger children would not understand some of the reasons. Good for a kindergarten library.

Easy to read for young readers to aim high. Especially for young girls that may want to be president. What does it mean to be president. A very inspiring book for all readers.

A special thank you to Samantha Pillay and the Netgalley for the ARC and the opportunity to post an honest review.

An uplifting and educational book that discusses the qualities of a good leader and the different concerns they might be expected to address. I really liked how it sends the message that you can be whatever you want to be but you can still be mindful of other people's needs.

This was a great introduction to government for young children. As a teacher, students often have misconceptions about what the President's job is. This book helps teach about what the President does, but in a very simple, kid-friendly way. The illustrations are colorful and detailed, which also helps drive the ideas and concepts in this book. I will be reading this book during our government unit, as I think it will be a great benefit to my students!

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with this book in exchange for my review! All opinions are my own.
I love this picture book! It has an empowering message for young girls. It emphasizes the importance of values and what a president can do to improve the world. The bright, colorful illustrations and the text are simple yet powerful. I will purchase this for our library and recommend it to teachers to share with their students.

When I'm the President is a story for young children about a woman president of the United States of America. It highlights the important traits of a good leader, like listening carefully, being honest, believing in fairness and freedom, and more. It avoids potentially controversial matters of politics, instead sticking to broad consensus topics like working to build world peace and protecting the planet. In focusing on the traits that make a good leader it does not address questions like:
- How does one become president?
- What are the powers and responsibilities of the president?
- Why have we never had a female president in the USA?
Like the other book in this series we have read (When I'm an Astronaut), it is composed of pages with colorful and personable illustrations and a single sentence, making it easy for beginning readers to tackle.
I read the story aloud with my daughter (8.5) and son (6) who both enjoyed it.

He gave it 3 out of 5 stars and said:
- I liked the page with all the flags (in front of the UN building).
- I also liked the page with the Lincoln Memorial.
- I liked the page with people in the shape of America.

She gave it 5 out of 5 stars and had this to say about it:
- It made me wonder if it was talking about just presidents or specifically a girl president.
- I think when it says she would keep people safe, the picture isn't the best example of people being safe.
- I really liked the cute deer by Mount Rushmore.
- It made me wonder if there will ever be a girl president.
- It also made me wonder what it is like to be the president. Sure it may sound fun to be super in charge, but it is a lot of work too.

There was also a link to some free coloring pages based on illustrations from the book. The 8-year-old was particularly excited about the included word search.

Pros: This is the first book I've read in the inspirational careers for kids series, and I can't wait to read more. I love the values that this book promotes as being important for a president--honesty, fairness, protecting the planet.

Cons: None that I can think of.

Thank you to NetGalley and Samantha Pillay for the opportunity to read this book.

𝗪𝗛𝗘𝗡 𝗜'𝗠 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗣𝗥𝗘𝗦𝗜𝗗𝗘𝗡𝗧 with it’s colourful illustrations and positive message is a cute and uplifting read. The illustrations are bright and colourful and add to your reading enjoyment. This is a book that young readers will enjoy. Highly recommend.

This is an inspiring children's book. It is short, descriptive and colourful. I love the female character and her aspirations. Thank you, Netgalley for sharing this book with me. My girls liked it

This book has a great way for showing girls that they can be anything! Full of optimism, I will definitely be reading this book to my daughter. After I read the book, I sent the title of the entire series to our Children's Librarian so she can order them for the collection. A must read!

I loved that this book featured women. I do think the illustrator could have had more of a diverse representation on the pages. I would need to talk through each page if used with younger students.

This simple aspirational book for little girls has beautiful pictures and a lovely message. A good simple message for younger readers.

This book falls into a lot of traps that I think the “If you see her, you can be her” campaigns fall into: they feel patronizing and they fail to appeal to the demographic that, as an educator, I feel would be most important (ages 10-15).
There is a purpose that I feel this book could achieve very well: starting a discussion with younger students (ages 4-8) about the responsibilities of an elected leader, what could happen if those responsibilities are not met, and what qualities make a good leader. As a teaching tool, this book could work very well, but I don’t foresee many students picking this up of their own volition.

Although I’m not a huge fan of the art style in this one, it vaguely reminds me of the covers on the “Who Was” books that I enjoyed reading as a child with my grandfather.

My thanks to NetGalley and Samantha Pillay for providing me with a digital copy of this book to review.

This is a wonderful series for young girls or anyone that aspires to be someone great It encourages the reader to recognize what they can do as an adult to help others in positive ways. There is a bit of confusion with the illustrations and who is speaking ( if that makes sense).

When I’m the President is a children’s book designed to show the qualities of what embodies a good president. I liked the book and there are opportunities for a class discussion based on the premises as well as vocabulary. I can also see a group project being done with the same concept. The illustrations were beautifully done.
What I wanted to see more of is narrative as to why she would do the things she promised. Such as; out planet is fragile and we must take care of it for future generations. So, when I’m president I will write laws to protect our planet. I also would have rather seen the word law instead of rules. This way you can discuss what a law is at the child’s level. I didn’t see as much diversity in kids for inclusion. Wheelchairs, hearing aids.
Overall, it is a nice quick book that can lead to a further discussion in the classroom or at home to begin the talks about civics

This is the first I've seen of this series but it's definitely one I'm going to look into ordering for my library. A lot of kids books are written as informational, it's about the specific job that the book covers. With this book, it seemed inspirational, not only could it inspire kids to really think about themselves in this role, but it also could lead them to take personal ownership over the ideas that are discussed in the book and do what they can to enact them. I absolutely loved the full color illustrations. With such simple text you could use it as a read-aloud with younger kids, with older kids it could be used as a jumping off point for discussion and/or essay writing.

A positive and interesting children's book filled with affirmations to inspire young people. I liked that several of the illustrations contain elements or clues that could lead to a deeper conversation with an adult, like why is there the notion of honesty next to a statue of Lincoln? or what about the presence of that unnamed building next to all the flags (the UN): why is it important, where is it located, what happens there, etc.
The format is a bit tricky (no contextual info). So much remains untold that the book calls for the input of a grownup to enrich the experience, othewise, it remains a bit superficial.
I wasn't entirely sold on the style of the illustrations, but that's more of a personal preference.