Sharp's art style is so unique, a breath of fresh air. The writing is humorous and easily accessible for younger readers. The theme and lesson of the story is a throwback but with a modern twist. This would lead to great discussions with children and students!

I loved this funny tale about two very different sisters. Beatrice is happy and outgoing and her sister Magnolia is rude and demanding. Beatrice decides to knit Magnolia a sweater to keep her warm but doesn't have the money for yarn so she goes into the forest to find treasures to sale. She doesn't find saleable treasures but she does find Bog Myrtle... A quite enjoyable read.

I loved the artwork in this book, but this ambitious story needs heavy editing in my opinion to be success. There are some great parts in this book, the main protagonist, and Bog Myrtle. But the flow is choppy, and this story is too wordy, A little murky, and the sarcastic humor falls flat. Focus on the kids in Kindergarten to 2nd grade, then this book could be a real success.

This was a wonderful read! I was immediately taken in by the art style and I absolutely loved the chosen font. Beyond just the aesthetics, this wove (no pun intended) a charming tale that packages topics like conservation, ethical production, the importance of unions, and kindness in a palatable way for any age to understand. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to review this book!

Not totally sure how I feel about this one. Illustrations are interesting, and I liked Beatrice's sweetness and honesty with Bog Myrtle. Some of the writing felt heavy handed or clunky. Even though I agree with much of what was touched upon in the book, suddenly jumping into labor rights in a children's book was a little jarring. I do think that the frankness of the book is part of the humor, kind of reminds me of books like Stinky Cheese Man; unexpected and a little unusual (in a good way). I will say I liked the ending (it's more in line with classic fairy tales).

A fun read with awesome graphics. This is a story of a thoughtful young girl who appreciates the world and what it has to offer yet she lives with a grumpy sister. The book explores love, crafting, friendship, and family. In the end, everyone get what they deserve. My husband saw me reading this and commented on how I was smiling.

Thank you Net Galley for the opportunity to read this book ahead of release in exchange for an honest review.

I loved it! 5 stars!

I absolutely loved this story! I will be contacting the publisher directly to pre-order this one so I have it in time for spooky season. There are several great things about this story: the juxtaposition between the sisters, the setting as a character, the messaging around nature, the modern folktale.

This book has everything a book needs: crabby sister, spooky house, bog witch, worker rights, knitting, magic sweaters and come uppance.

The world needs more Beatrices!

The stunning gouache illustrations, distinctive colour palette and varied composition styles make this book not only a wonderful story but a gorgeous read. I can’t wait to share this one with my class!

StoryGraph review to be posted on my Instagram on date of publication.

I absolutely adored Bog Myrtle! I even bought a copy for my friend’s kids to be delivered once published. It’s a cute short chapter book about two sisters who are entirely different from each other and thus interact with a creature in the woods known as the Bog Myrtle. Antics happen, and lessons are learned. The artwork is excellent, and the plot is delightful.
This is a well-written, adorable book that is perfect for all children and adults will enjoy it, too.

Thank you NetGalley, Annick Press, and Sid Sharp for the ARC in exchange for a voluntary honest review!

This modern folktale was a lot of fun to read.

It had so much immediate personality and wit, and I LOVE the illustrations. So dark, vivid, and gorgeous.

This story also goes full Lorax, with a nice (although mildly dark) session about sustainability and taking care of the resources we have. There's also a lesson in there about not letting people take advantage of your kindness.

The characters' little quips are hilarious. Beatrice is so bright and sunny toward the world which is really rather bleak. It’s very fun to read. I work with kids, and I could see them enjoying it. The ending was slightly dark, I will say. But all great folktales are.

My new favorite! I want to read this to my story time kids at the library!

This book checked so many boxes for me. It’s the perfect blend of a fairytale/folk story feeling with dark humor. I loved it and I will read anything Sid will write.

Thank you to NetGalley for this ARC!

I adored this book!! It had the cutest illustrations-the little treasures Beatrice collects from the forest, the path through the town showing all the rows of cute houses, and the beautiful, intricate silk sweater she makes for Magnolia. I also thought the writing was witty and quirky-the sisters’ dialogue was funny and I liked how at the very end it shows Magnolia in Bog Myrtle’s stomach saying “whatever!”. Definitely ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️/5 stars for me!!

Bog Myrtle
Sid Sharp
This is the tale of two sisters that had very little money, they lived in an old house along with a family of spiders. Beatrice is nice, friendly, and fun to be around. Magnolia is mean, cranky, grouchy and not so much fun. Magnolia was cold! Beatrice went into the forest to find something she could use to make Magnolia a warm sweater. Bog Myrtle lives in a bog in the forest. Most people thought Bog Myrtle was some kind of monster. But she was really a nice giant forest spider. She gives Beatrice a bundle of silky yarn that she made herself. Beatrice and the family of spiders knit a warm magical sweater and give it to Magnolia. Magnolia saw an opportunity to make some money, she turns the old house into a factory that makes magic sweaters. She demands Beatrice and the spiders to make a lot of warm magical sweaters. The poor spiders go on strike because they are exhausted. Bog Myrtle is very unhappy.
This is a lovely tale for children. The illustrations are delightful and add much to the story. Beatrice is a nice character; Bog Myrtle was very sweet. Magnolia wasn’t as nice, but she did make me laugh. The illustrations brought the house and forest to life. This tale covers capitalism, union, and employees.

I am always interested in folktales and exposure to new culture. This was cute and exciting! The illustration pushes boundaries in a fun way - like with spiders spinning webs off the edges of panels. The two sisters in this story are interesting characters, but Bog Myrtle provides the most intrigue. This is a modern folktale that presents commentary on things like environmentalism and being a good person.

What an absolute blast! I read this with my 8-year old and it was such a hit! I personally loved the mixing of nature tale with traditional fairy tale tropes. The illustrations were fantastic. While reading, we laughed out loud at the spiders striking and unionizing, and at the quickness that Beatrice’s sister met her end. Bog Myrtle was scary, silly, and charming, everything you want and more in a fairytale.

Thank you Net Galley for this beautiful ARC!
I loved how the story touches on current, real-life issues like sustainability and nature conservation (especially as someone who works in the field), labor rights and capitalism.
The depictions of all of the characters was well thought out both in the writing and artwork.
The artwork is what initially sparked my interest and it continues to be absolutely beautiful throughout the book.
I already plan on purchasing a copy for a coworker as soon as it is available!

This is not normally a genre I write reviews for but I think I'm missing out. The storyline and the illustrations were so unique and delightful. Thankfully the spider illustrations weren't scary! I enjoyed the dialogue between the characters. But most importantly there were a lot of lessons within this book that can be easily learned and digested. Without any spoilers I will say I laughed out loud when I read Magnolia's last scene. #solidarityforspiders
Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for a digital copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This was a delightful book! I went into it with no expectations on the subject matter, but loved reading the author’s note at the beginning about following the long-standing tradition in horror of naming the book after the antagonist. This book left me with the resounding thought “Be a Beatrice, not a Magnolia.”

I adore folktales, and this was a fun addition to the genre for children. I enjoyed the artwork and Bog Myrtle. I think the lessons on environmentalism, labor rights, and kindness. However, I did think the language used for the message on capitalism would go over the intended audiences head. It was more aimed at tweens. I think there are more effective ways to convey those messages for children to understand without having to rely on adults to give long winded explanations. I’m conflicted on how the story wrapped up with the sister Magnolia. It was pretty on par with how classic folktales find a resolution but I think some people might find it unsatisfying. I didn’t have a problem with it though, it gave an edge to the story.

Calling this a modern folktale was a very apt description! It reads just like The Woman Who Swallowed a Fly or The Chicken and the Fox. Delightful! (I will say the bug and rat stuff is kind icky but it fits the dark folklore vibe of the book)

What a creepy book in the best way that teaches a message about greed, stability and substance and nature. Great story.