Becoming a Matriarch by Helen Knott is an inspiring and moving memoir of womanhood, grief and trauma from an Indigenous perspective. All of her life the author, Helen, has turned to the women around her for guidance, learning their ways of survival and independence. When her mother and grandmother pass away within six months of one another, Helen must draw upon the lessons of her ancestors to survive and move forward towards the future. The novel explores many facets of life including addiction, sexual assault, loss, prejudice, feminism, family, motherhood, love and community. It is told in intimate, personal and poetic prose that highlights the power and vulnerability of the author’s journey and how she is learning to become a leader, a matriarch. Vivid, funny, heartfelt and compassionate it is an important narrative on healing and living that explores both the dream world of the authors Indigenous ancestors and its profound connection to reality. Perfect for fans of biographical writing that is rich in honesty and beauty 4.25 stars ✨.

What a beautiful book to teach about indigenous culture and what it means to be a woman and Matriarch of that culture. I am so happy that actresses such as Lily Gladstone are putting a face to this beautiful group of people and we are raising awareness and conversation on such an important part of our worlds history and culture.