Thank you NetGalley and Lake Union Publishing for an ARC of Running Cold.
Set primarily in Banff, Alberta Canada, the story follows former Olympian Julie Adler as she struggles to make sense of her husband’s unexpected suicide. As she returns to her roots and takes a job as a chambermaid at the Banff Springs Hotel, her quest to find answers and reestablish herself is thwarted by an old friend.
I wanted to enjoy Running Cold more than I did. I loved Susan Walter’s novel Lie By The Pool, I love Banff, I love the Olympics, and I love strong female leads. However, the story felt a bit disjointed and predictable, and I had a tough time feeling engaged. That being said, if you’re looking for an easy, fun, wintery mystery this coming season, this could be a good fit for you.

Thank you NetGalley for giving me the chance to read this book ahead of time in exchange for a review. You should read it!

‘Running cold’ by Susan Walter is an easy read and a page turner.
After the tragic death of her husband who dies by suicide, Julie, a former Olympian biathlete, returns to Canada (her home country) from California, where she finds a job in a hotel to make ends meet, as all her accounts have been mysteriously drained.
The plot was fairly easy to guess, and some chapters were quite slow.
However, I think it’s a well written thriller and will keep people on their toes! I do recommend it.
Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for letting me read an advance copy in return for my honest review.

What most intrigued me about this story was the protagonist. I don't think I've ever read a protagonist like this one, so it was enough to keep my attention. The setting, the ambience was a plus to me. I do tend to love stories set in cold places or simply during the winter.
I also love the drama and how the chapters were structured.
However, I wouldn't call this a 'thriller'. At best, a mystery. Which is fine to me, but it might disappoint hardcore thriller fans who might dive into this book expecting an action-packed thriller.
I didn't really mind because I like character-driven stories with multiple POVs.
I wish I could 'read' this book again in the audio format one day.

Running Cold by Susan Walter is about a former Olympian who is grieving the recent loss of her husband. Wanting to get away, she returns to Banff, an isolated ski town where she once trained for the Olympics. Staying at a hotel run by a friend, she soon becomes implicated in a murder of one of the eccentric guests.

I enjoyed the originality of this story and the setting of Banff, and even leaned a few things about skiing and the slopes. I was interested to find out that Banff and the Banff Springs Hotel are real places that the author has been and that it inspired her to set her novel there. I found this easy to read with short chapters and medium pacing. I enjoyed having two strong female leads.

Although described as a ‘heart pounding story’, it didn’t have that effect on me. It was a solid story but could have been more atmospheric and immersive, especially with the unique setting. Unfortunately I found the murder mystery a little too clear, even from the beginning. Perhaps this was the intention, however I would have enjoyed to be thrown off track a few times rather than have it be the simple answer.

A good book to read on holiday, especially if you’re staying somewhere cold. Thank you Lake Union Publishing and NetGalley for my ARC.

Julie is a former Olympic gold medalist who goes on a search for answers after her husband’s suicide. Her quest for answers soon turns into a fight for her freedom, and her life. One death, two deaths, three deaths….why are these people dying? Who is going after them?

Although imperfect, I found it super easy to root her Julie, and the detective on the case. They are both strong female leads that know how to kick some ass. I enjoyed both of their POV’s! This is a book you could read in one day, and if you want to know more about skiing, this book is full of info! Susan does a great job describing the scenes so it is easy to visualize!

This is my favorite book so far this year. So many twists and turns. I was hooked by page one and read it in one sitting. I enjoyed the switches between POVs and the unexpected but fulfilling ending. Thanks to Susan Walter and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this future bestseller!

Interesting take on a thriller. I love the take on the Olympics and the overall pace of the novel and Banaff was its own character. Overall a well paced good read
Thanks to Netgalley and publisher for letting me review this book .

This was a unique concept for a survival novel, it uses the concept in a unique way. I enjoyed the way the characters were written and enjoyed the overall feel with them in this universe. Susan Walter wrote this perfectly and was glad it was so well done.

This was such a fast paced thriller that I read it in 2 days. The crew at @thrillerbookloversthepulse were throwing out high ratings and I've joined the club. The story starts out with a suspected suicide and continues on with murder after murder. There were multiple POVs which I love in a thriller! The backdrop is a blizzard in Canada and I learned alot about skiing which I enjoyed. There were a few key characters in the plot, and just as many twists that kept me reading until late into the night. There was alot of mystery, a ton of suspense and an ending that I definitely didn't see coming. Overall I really enjoyed this one and will definitely recommend!

Thank you to @susanwalterauthor, Lake Union Publishing and Netgalley for an ARC.

In ‘Running Cold’ by Susan Walter, we meet Julie, a former Olympian and wife to recently deceased Jeff. In the wake of his death, Julie decides to flee to the mountains of Banff, Canada for clarity. She not only realizes he left her penniless, but he’s also been withholding details that would have ruined their marriage had he not died first. While unfolding the truth about Jeff’s startup tech company and his infidelities, Julie begins and ends her grieving era in Canada where she feels most at home, abandoning her friends in L.A. the process.

Did this book have moments of thrill and leave you questioning which character to believe? Yes. Did it have the energy to keep you lying awake wondering whodunnit? No. While I can appreciate the story Walter was attempting to tell, this book was kind of hard to get through. I just really wasn’t invested in any of the plot, none of the characters were really that interesting. It could’ve been better had the writer tried to develop the characters and their relationships more, but with it only being 200 something pages, there wasn’t enough detail to keep me invested. I didn’t hate it, but it just wasn’t that good.

This was a twisty thriller and the book is filled with mystery, secrets, lies, deception and suspense. It kept me guessing till the end. The characters were mysterious and multifaceted. They are not what they appears to be. The setting and the beginning felt a bit creepy.

Julie’s husband is found dead and it seems like a suicide but it feels strange. It’s been since a month, he wanted to talk to Julie because something was bothering him. Izzie is harbouring a secret. She knows something. It all feels like a puzzle. Though Julie starts working as a housekeeper at a luxury resort. But a guest turns up dead and she becomes a suspect. Her life turns upside down once again. She thought she was starting fresh but then she must get to the bottom of the unfortunate happenings. That’s where the book takes a suspenseful turn. The twists and turns were unpredictable. The truth was shocking. The ending was so twisted. This was such a good suspenseful thriller.

Thanks to the Publisher and Author

Setting is everything in this novel of intrigue about an Olympic Biathlon winner and the fallout from her husband's death. Banff is like its own character as the description of snow covered terrain offsets at police chase. The main character, Julie is smart and athletic and a good person. Likable and easy to root for. The denouement comes abruptly and early and takes away from the overall pace. The second half was really a better book. I liked I and would read more from this author.

Copy provided by the publisher and Netgalley

Running Cold is a twisty, fast-paced thriller combined with a family drama that will make you read past your bedtime and taunt you to read…just one more chapter!

This storyline is super suspenseful that only lets up few hints along the way. Told in multiple POVs, I enjoyed seeing the mystery unfold through the eyes of each character. The atmospheric setting in Banff, Canada, truly brought this storyline to life. This is the second book I’ve read by this author and look forward to reading more of her work! 4.5 rounded up

DNF @30%
There’s just not enough story here. The writing is kind of simplistic, but I can look past that if there’s intrigue. The problem was every chapter was boring, really centered on one event or thought/concept (from grief to cleaning rooms), then ended with some version of “if only the reader knew the truth” or “if only the reader and I knew [insert super vague foreshadowing sentence here].

I skipped ahead and it was the same formula, and worse, I was able to keep up with the story, that’s how little had happened since.

Either it should have been a novella, is unfinished, or it’s just not for me.

Format: Advance Reader’s Copy from Lake Union Publishing and NetGalley

I absolutely loved this book. Susan Walter is such a good story teller. This was a fun murder mystery. I loved the outdoor snowy vibe. The MC is a strong female Olympian. Action packed. I couldn’t put this book down! I also loved Susan Walter’s book, Lie By The Pool.

This book grabbed me from the start and didn’t let up I really enjoyed it and look forward for more from this author.

Susan Walter is a win for me! I found this to be suspenseful and gripping, and I had a hard time putting it down. I would definitely recommend this one.

This book grabbed my attention and I didn’t want it to end. It is told in a few POV and the world setting is so real I felt as if I was in Canada’s snow. Julie is a former Olympian who needs an escape after her husband’s death. Julie was my favorite character because she is so real. Her reactions and actions to things are relatable and I was rooting for her the entire story. A great story that kept me guessing until the end!

Julie Adler’s perfect facade is shattered by grief when her husband commits suicide. His death reveals that their luxurious California life was a house of cards, and his secret business dealings have left Julie penniless.

As she strikes out on her own, Julie feels drawn to her old stomping grounds in Banff, a charming and isolated ski town where she once trained for the Olympics. She finds work as a housekeeper at a luxury resort, but just as she starts to piece together a new life, an eccentric guest turns up dead. And Julie, the last person seen in her hotel room, is the prime suspect.

The evidence is stacked against her, but even in the encroaching blizzard, Julie knows her way around these mountains. She just needs to evade the police long enough to find the truth behind the murder…and before the real killer finds her first.

Thank you to NetGalley for allowing me to read and review this book.
I usually love Susan Walter’s books and this one was no exception. Great storyline, description of the beautiful scenery, would definitely recommend