For the Love

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 05 Oct 2018

Jen Hatmaker is a delight in everything she writes and in her podcast. I have begun going through her backlist, including this book, and always feel seen and understood by her words.
Unfortunately I was not able to read the book. I did not have the correct reader link to download this book.
For the Love: Fighting for Grace in a World of Impossible Standards by [Hatmaker, Jen]I was given this book by NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.

I was able to read this book quickly. Jen Hatmaker's essays were inspiring and easy-to-read. I feel like many people would be able to relate with what she has to say.
I’m a huge fan of Jen Hatmaker’s. This book wasn’t my favorite of hers, but I still really enjoyed it. I’ll read everything she writes. 🙂
Laughing, then crying, back to claughing.... this book is relatable! It feels as though it is written as a conversation with a close friend instead of reading a complete stranger’s thoughts. Jen opens up about awkward, understandable, and scary moments in so many of our lives - you feel as if your  head will fall off from shaking it -yes yes yes the entire time! This book is easy to sit down and finish in an afternoon yet also great to go back to for reference - to remind women to just EASE up. Don’t put so much pressure on ourselves and for the reader to realize that we are all just trying to survive day to day and that our thoughts, opinions, and views may change and evolve with age and experience.
This is a collection of essays by Jen Hatmaker. The first chapter, “Worst Beam Ever” is sooo amazing! After reading it, the phrase “Off the beam!” is now permanently in my vocabulary. I have felt freedom from striving for perfection and been released to just be me. This chapter talks about not concerning ourselves with doing it all but to decide what is most important to us in this season, what is necessary for ourselves and families, what adds value to our lives, and say “no” to the extras that steal our time and our joy. After reading it, I immediately implemented it by choosing not to have party favors at my child’s upcoming birthday party. It’s a small thing, but it was one less thing to have to think about or spend time on. I doubt anyone missed them either. There are many wonderful chapters that contain wisdom and freedom to be who God created you to be.
There are also some chapters that provide a type of comic relief (but still have truth in them).  As if that were not enough from this amazing book (which I describe to others as being like potpourri – a little bit of everything), there are also some recipes to help sharpen your skills and invite other people over to grow relationships. I made the Beef Bourguignon which was delicious and very rich. I also made the Pad Thai and agree with Jen wholeheartedly that fish sauce stinks when cooked and permeates the entire house, but it did help create another oh-so-tasty dish. My family actually did share both of these meals with friends and had a great time!
This book really does have a little bit of everything. It offers encouragement, truth in love, humor, sympathy, wisdom, fashion advice, parenting comfort and frank talk about real issues. It is a book you could read once a year (or more frequently) and find things to apply to grow in your spiritual and personal relationships. I highly recommend this book and would love to hear your thoughts after you’ve read it. For the love, just go buy it already!
I very much want Jen Hatmaker as a new friend. I'd love to be invited to supper with her supper club! This book made me laugh out loud so many times. I feel like I really know her and her thoughts on the world after reading this book. I have to say, it was a bit eclectic. Sometimes it was just funny "thank you" letters to random situations in life, other times it was very serious advice on how to be a missionary who can actually help the very people you are trying to help.

She has good advice for married people. She has some good recipes. She has expressions I will certainly be adding to my list of phrases. This was the first book of Jen's that I have read, but it surely won't be my last!
*I received a free copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

This was my first Jen Hatmaker book, and honestly I don't know what took me so long to pick one of her books up! This was more than your average Christian self-help book. Not only was it encouraging and sometimes convicting, but it was also super funny. If you enjoyed Girl Wash Your Face, then this book is also for you, very similar writing styles (in my opinion). The only thing about this book was that it didn't necessarily all follow the "theme" of the book. However, I enjoyed all of it, so that didn't bother me too much.
Rating: 4/5 Stars
I loved parts of this (marriage and parenting) and was apathetic about others (faith). As usual, Jen Hatmaker made me smile and feel like I was catching up with an old friend.
Jen Hatmaker is one funny, relatable gal.  Reading her books is much like a conversation with a friend.  This book is a series of essays, almost like reading through a blog, so it's easy to digest in chunks.  While the overarching theme of the book is grace, that topic isn't addressed directly all that much.  This is *not* a bible study, devotional, or anything of that sort.  In fact, much of her theology and viewpoint is probably outside standard beliefs of the evangelical world.  (And that is her target audience and culture.)  This is a humorous, entertaining read, but if you're looking for any serious Christian spiritual guidance, this is probably not the right book.

Thanks to Net Galley and the publisher for a complimentary copy of this title.
This book was interesting and was not what I expected it to be. I expected it to be more of a Christian self-help book about loving others and extending and receiving grace. Instead, it was a book that used humor and relatable stories to help women navigate the craziness of life. I found many parts of the book to be funny and relatable, and it was a quick read. However, I did not agree with some points that the author made. What bothered me the most was when she talked about changing the church to meet the needs of the next generation. To me personally, that is not Biblical. It is one thing to integrate different types of music, but we are not to change the doctrine of the church to suit the lifestyles of people today. I would try another book by this author, because I did enjoy her voice and style of writing, but just three stars for me based on some of her views.
I couldn't put this book down. Jen writes as if she was talking to a friend. I enjoyed this fun book full of tales of friendship, loss, and everything in between. It was uplifting and encouraging, but real.
There was a bit of fun with this one as we explore Jesus' grace in your life and the inter connections we form in our lives.
However, for me it was disjointed, disconnected, without a steady flow throughout the story.
To be able to forgive oneself, laugh at our mistakes, trust our own judgements is crucial to empowering us and setting us free.
Love not hate is a great piece to work from.
There is a grey area in this addressing the younger generation and their response to Christianity, to God, to the Bible.
However, the ideas that stemmed from this conversation were not as accurate as I'd hope.
Is attendance down in church? Yes, it most certainly is.
Is it because the younger millenials want depth?
Well, I don't believe so and as a minister of hospitality I think they often feel that other avenues are more important to them. Religion has taken a back seat to studies, to dating, to living a hectic busy life being paid peanuts to carry out.
So perhaps it's just our lifestyle has changed and that's why so many are leaving the church in general.
Perhaps the scandals such as sexual abuse by priests is more of the problem and taints the church's views.
Perhaps the Pope with his views being hammered upon them makes them question their roles and freedom in  voicing their opinions.
Everyone today is a critic. The problem with that is they don't have the credentials to intellectually fulfill that role.
Jesus didn't shine down upon us to merely be a good example. He died on the cross for us. He is our savior.
God and his word are truth. God is good. God doesn't judge.
Calling out critics from FB and other online sites in a book doesn't really appeal to me.
I hope others may enjoy this work, more than I, but for now it's simply ok to me.
Thank you to Jen, NetGalley, her Publisher and Aldiko for this arc in exchange for this honest review.
First I'd like to say thank you to NetGalley for an ARC Copy of this book in exchange for my honest and unbiased review.

3.5 Stars

This book truly took me out of my "reading rut."  I needed something light but also with some punches in the mix, and this book was exactly that.  I laughed out loud at some points and cringed and said "ouch" at other points and of course moments of disagreement but also loud "amens."

It basically reads like compiled blog entries covering things from recipes, kids and being a mom, to Church politics, spiritual abuse, confidence, humility, grace and the like.   There were a lot of parts I just skimmed but it was also filled with some great power paragraphs and one-liners.

"Love God and follow Him.  Really, nothing else matters. If you are ever unsure what to do, remember how Jesus loved people.  He was the best at it.  You can trust Him anywhere He asks you to go, He has been there too.  This is not an easy path, Lovies.  Jesus went to hard places and did hard things; He loved folks everyone else hated or despised.  But if you trust us at all, believe me; This is the life you want, this Jesus life."
Jen Hatmaker writes a self-deprecating, funny, insightful, and realistic book that deals with women's issues and thoughts on life. A worthwhile read for moms and women in general.
I do love Jen Hatmaker but I found this book was not quite what I expected. It is light and funny but not educational or deep.
My favorite Jen Hatmaker book, "For the Love" is filled with wisdom, insight and humor. Jen is a REAL Christian woman and the big sister we all want and need in our lives. Refreshing, transparent, and filled with great advice and storytelling, it doesn’t get much better than this.
Umm... I'm confused.

I thought this was supposed to be a book about giving and receiving grace in a world where standards are high and how to navigate that giving and receiving in your everyday life. Instead what I got was the author's random thoughts as she thought them.

Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy her voice and the content was quite fun to read (probably why I breezed through it), but I was definitely expecting more theology, more bible references and more gospel truths. I was not expecting her random "thank-you's" to the world or her fun anecdotes and secular theology.

I'm a little confused at all the positive reviews and nodding in agreement to all those who are shaking their heads and just as puzzled as I am. This is more a collection of anecdotal and humorous essays with a splash of God thrown in. I don't think it is titled correctly as I don't see much that actually helps a girl out in the whole "fighting for grace in a world of impossible standards" thing.

I didn't come away from this book with anything that really grabbed me or anything I could apply to my life in any sense. It was just a slightly enjoyable read but not one I would pick up again or recommend. Though I might check out her Instagram - she really is quite funny.

**Many thanks to Jen Hatmaker, Thomas Nelson, and Netgalley for a free copy of this e-book in exchange for an honest review.
I heard Jen Hatmaker speak at a Women of Faith conference, and have read snippets of her writing from time to time as part of a daily devotional email, so I went looking for her books on Netgalley. I was blessed when the publisher "granted my wish" to receive an ecopy. My opinion and enjoyment are not based on the cost of the book.
This book was a delight for me to read. Jen veers from happy chat about everyday bits of life to silly thoughts on fashion (rules for wearing leggings as pants was a favorite of mine) to deep thoughts such as how the world views Jesus because of how they see Jesus-followers treating each other.
Laughter and tears punctuated my reading. I can't wait to read another of her books!
Thank you NetGalley for my ARC. This book was funny and engaging. Jen Hatmaker is open and honest and real. Just a refreshing book.