Cover Image: Illuminae

Illuminae

What is there to say that hasn’t already been said? So clever, so engrossing, so creative. The book keeps you on your toes and keeps you guessing. I love the format - though not as easy to read and not the same experience digitally. This was such a great read, and I can definitely understand the hype!
This is a plot-driven, page-turning SF/horror/romance mashup that I predict will have the power to hook reluctant and already-passionate readers alike.

The story is told through letters, chat transcripts, interviews, and other ephemera, and I couldn't turn the pages fast enough, even though reading the e-ARC was difficult in places because of the formatting. The physical book is going to be so much better.

This novel definitely comes from the commercial rather than the literary side of YA, but that's not a bad thing: there aren't many books that I would feel equally at home recommending to a fan of Stephen King, Starship Troopers, or Stephenie Meyer, but this is one of them.
There are so many amazing things about this book, I will say this right away this is a book you have to read in print. The many different types of pages and diagrams are insanely amazing and I couldn't get enough of them. The storyline/plot was just WOW...I'm not even sure there are words to describe this book other than WOW! I have recommended this one to so many people and they all say the same thing. I couldn't get enough of Illuminae and I can't wait to read the next one!
I am traditionally not a science fiction reader, but this was such a great combination of sci-fi and horror, that is was compellingly readable. The format was interesting, surprises were honestly surprising (ones I honestly did not see coming). Character development was not the greatest; it was largely an action story, but I didn’t really mind that. It was thoroughly enjoyable!
What you have to understand about this book is the way it is written. Say goodbye to your neatly written paragraphs and coherent sentences. And say hello to audio transcripts, IM messages, audio transmissions, and reports. But don't let that discourage you from reading this book. Because that is what makes it unique. And despite the writing style, this book is action packed. There's always something happening, something new to discover, and something to take your breath away. Meet unusual heroes, placed in not your everyday situations, with no way to tell which side is up and who the villains are at any given moment. Watch as a deadly virus spreads, an AI goes crazy, and higher-ups trying to figure out what is going on while their only possible way of escape seems to disappear. All that in space, and all that as they're being pursued by an enemy ship.

Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff wrote an amazing piece of fiction that is suitable for all ages. I honestly don't care if you're old or young, you can enjoy this book.
This book (and the series as a whole) is one of the most unique reading experiences I've ever had. Pairing the audio with the text version is probably my favourite thing I've discovered it a long while!
Though this story was a little hard to connect with, I was fully engaged about half way through.  I enjoyed the variety of formats the narrative employed, though I am still unsure who was doing the surveillance reports. Very suspenseful and stressful, though Kady was an admirable character.
I'm a huge Jay Kristoff's fan so I'm so glad to say this book is above my expectations. Absolutely compelling and stimulating! My students felt completely inmersed in the story thanks to the interview transcripts, diary entries and the unique format.
This is a fantastic read.  I absolutely love the format and can't wait to read more!
Was not able to read because I couldn't find it on my kindle anywhere.
I lost interest in this book and did not read it so I cannot write a review. Nonetheless, thank you for the chance to review this book.
I've never read a book quite like Illuminae. Anyone who's read it (or even SEEN it) can attest to how unique it is. Normally I'm not super interested in unique formats, and at first the style made me hesitate. But I'm so glad I gave Illuminae a chance because the format ended up 100% working.

On top of having an interesting format, Illuminae also has a GREAT story. Futuristic, space warfare, deadly virus, artificial intelligence, romance.. so many great concepts. The artificial intelligence was probably my personal favourite. I LOVED the development here and can't wait to see how it pans out over the course of the series.

As soon as I finished Illuminae I was in this weird haze. I just sat there basking in the pure awesomeness of the book. (Then of course I immediately ordered Gemina!)
This book was beautiful! I loved that it was told in a different style, it really helped bring the story to life.
I wasn't able to read this PDF on my kindle. I had a tough time with it. Thanks
This book was absolutely amazing. The style and format of the book was so different from what I was use to. It was fantastic. I read the book in one sitting.