Cover Image: Everything, Everything

Everything, Everything

Years later, I found the phantom book I didn’t give feedback for. Oops. It’s been years since I read this but I really enjoy Yoon’s writing style and contemporary stories. She’s an auto-read author for me.
I enjoyed reading this, but the ending fell flat to me and I kind of felt confused. Overall, a good read though and do recommend.
I wasn't expecting to enjoy this book so much but it was such a lovely read and for a contemporary novel, with a surprising twist! It was a hook to Nicola Yoon's books and I've even read more from her since this read and have enjoyed them too.
I would like to thank NetGalley and Delacorte Books for Young Readers for the opportunity to read and review this book.
I'm not even sure how to write this review because I don't think it will truly show how much I really enjoyed this book. I had heard such good things about this book and the fact that it took me so long to read it makes me sad because I wish I would have experienced it sooner. I will admit, I read The Sun Is Also A Star before I read this one. Then I realized I had to jump into this because I loved the author's writing so very much!
It's kind of impossible not to love the main character, Madeline. At first, you're sad for her because she has been locked away her whole life without every experiencing anything. Her disease makes it impossible for her to leave the house because she's allergic to the air, yep, bubble baby syndrome! I had only ever heard about this through the movie from long ago: Boy in the Plastic Bubble. So I was excited to see how anything would possibly happen for her.
When we are introduced to her new neighbor, Olly, you know right away something big is going to happen.This brooding boy who always dresses in black is definitely going to help turn Madeline's world on end. And so it did. Some may say it was way too quick, but given Madeline's life, it's not at all surprising she would attach herself to someone other than her mother and the nurse that takes care of her.  I do not want to ruin anything with the plot, but let's just say Madeline gets to experience things with Olly you would never have though possible.
The author has a great writing style. I was never bored. As a matter of fact, I could not put the book down and read it in less than 24 hours. This didn't surprise me as I had read her other book in a similar time frame (just the day before!).
I loved the relationships Madeline has with her nurse. As a nurse, it made me remember all those connections I've made with patients in the past and how, many times, I have gone above and beyond to ensure they are happy. This is what Carla does for Madeline. But Carla shakes the world up a bit too much and Madeline's mother cannot have that as it threatens to harm her daughter (or so we are lead to believe). Madeline's mother was a little suffocating from the very onset of the book and this bothered me. I just felt she was always off, and my intuition was not wrong.
Overall, this is a quick read with a good plot and a fun story. I'm pretty sure I'll read anything this author publishes because it just gives me all the feels!
I thought this book was amazing! I could relate to the characters and really enjoyed the writing style.
I am cleaning my Netgalley shelf and I noticed I haven't reviewed this yet.

It has been so long since I read Everything, Everything so forgive me for not remembering the events that happened in this book but I do remember the feeling while I was reading this. This was unlike any book I read and also a very quick favorite. I remember I obsessed about this for months that I even read Flowers of Algernon even I avoided tear jerker books like the plague. All because the lead female loved it.
2 stars. Eh. This isn't all it's cracked up to be. Review to come.

Due to being a high school teacher, I often behind on reviewing. Here are my initial thoughts.
This book was so beautifully written. I loved the story and the struggles the main character goes through in order to live her life. The love story was amazing as well. I highly recommend.
I did not end up finishing this as I read other reviews that revealed the twist to the plot, and decided I was uncomfortable with the portrayal of an abusive mother.
4.5/5 While I felt like there were parts of the book that could've been better and more realistic, overall I loved this debut novel. Such a unique story and had just the right mix of all different types of relationships. I can't wait to see more from this author!
"My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I’m allergic to the world. I don’t leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla.

But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He's tall, lean and wearing all black—black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly.

Maybe we can’t predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It’s almost certainly going to be a disaster."

What a soft book! Olly and Madeline were adorable and I caught myself crying several times while reading it!
Beautifully written.
I love Nicola Yoon's style and the character's are super resonating.
There has been some complaint's about the ending and I wish it had been handled differently, but this did not detract from my overall enjoyment.
I have so many feelings about this book. There are so many surprises, but they aren't that realistic, and it seemed like I wasn't making any sense when I was trying to explain the plot of this book to a friend.
Realizing that I never sent in a review for this lovely book! Everything, Everything was and continues to be one of the most checked out books at my library. It's romance with a twist - a mystery at its hearts that makes it appeal to non-romance readers. Nicola Yoon is one of the most exciting voices in YA lit right now, and I can't wait to read what she's got in store for readers next.
*There are mild spoilers in this review*

Everything, Everything was a book I was incredibly excited to see about but there were aspects of this book that didn't work for me. For one, I didn't enjoy the insta-love (I rarely care for this trope) aspect of this book. It has worked for some and while certain aspects were cute, I wasn't as big of a fan.

The ending was rather jarring and not as well executed as I would have liked. When it came to the big reveal I felt like not giving more information about how or why it happened didn't help flesh out the characters as much. I immediately thought of Munchausen Syndrome By Proxy when it came to mind but didn't come up.
"Wanting just leads to more wanting. There's no end to desire."

I received this book as an ebook from NetGalley in return for an honest review.

It was interesting reading about 'bubble baby disease' as I hadn't heard much about it before. The name of the disease is fairly self-explanatory, but it was still interesting to hear about the bits I hadn't known before.

Something I've noticed in many TV shows, movies and books I've watched and read seems to be that most people say "Welcome to our new home!" when they get to a new house. I still have no idea why people do that.

It's nice how Madeleine is half-Japanese and half-African American but it's not a big deal. But I think that my favourite character in the book was probably Olly, followed by Carla as they both cared for Madeleine and both had a sense of humour.

I'd like to know more about her dad and her brother - what her mum remembered them being like, the little things her brother would do for his younger sister, the jokes her dad would tell...
I never got to this book back when it was released and I am so sorry about that. My tastes have somewhat changed, so I probably should not read it at this point, and I will work really hard to be better in the future. Thank you for the opportunity.
It started quite beautifully-written with diverse characters, including an Afro-Asian narrator called Madeline. Madeline's condition aside - being allergic to the entire world outside her sterile home. There was a whiff of instalove - Madeline first sets her eyes on Olly and her whole concept of the world changes. I did like the build of their relationship after this; through miming at the window, chatting online and sharing poems, jokes and philosophical musings with one another - it was a huge cheese fest.

I was disappointed with the ending. but overall, I thought it was a interesting read contained diverse characters.
Everything Everything is about Madeline, a teenager with SCIDs. She must live in a sterile environment at all times because otherwise she could die. Madeline is happy. She takes online classes. She loves architecture. Her nurse and Mom love her. But then it all changes with the sound of a moving truck. Olly moves in with his abusive father, Mom and sister. When eye contact is made, Madeline is never the same.

The girl who used to be ok with being at home, now longs for the outside. The girl who knew going outside could kill her, wonders If the risk is worth it.

Because love is everything everything.

I enjoyed this book. I didn’t love this book. I don’t think it’s one to rave over. But it’s good. You feel for Madeline. As someone who travels a lot, I couldn’t imagine only seeing the outside world through the windows of my house.

Yoon’s writing is great because she is able to make her characters believable and likeable. Others have commented on the depth of her research for this novel, and that may be true, but I am not sure how much more that would change the plot an ending. My only complaint was the ending felt a bit rushed.

I would recommend to those who are fans of non-fiction for sure!
Everything Everything by Nicola Yoon is a novel that I felt emotionally invested in from beginning to end. Maddy was a lovable main character that any reader would want to befriend and Olly is the love interest anyone would swoon over. Their chemistry was the absolute cutest and even the side characters made the story much more enjoyable. Not only did I love the content of the novel, but the way it was formatted made it even more wonderful to get through. The illustrations were adorable and, above all, I'm super excited to see what else Yoon has up her sleeves.