Cover Image: Manga Classics: Great Expectations

Manga Classics: Great Expectations

The art is definitely cute. I just hope that it was much more longer than what it is and have been much elaborated in it's plot.
Thanks Netgalley for allowing me to read this book! The title and this beautiful cover drew me in and i was excited to read this book! I will be recommending this book to others for readers advisory
There is something a bit jarring about seeing a classic story like this in a Manga format, but it's also a wonderful way to connect this story to reluctant readers, or just people who want to read it the story with a fun new visual element to it. I can't be mad at something that gets kids reading.
This manga classics are my thing.

Normally, I will skip this classics, but this way to tell the stories are really friendly with the reader, so, thank you.

I think that the publisher achieve the objetive of "introduce these classic stories to a new reader who may then go back to read the original texts". I'm buying a copie of Great Expectations. Congrats.

Thanks for the arc. It was amazing.
3.5 stars! I am so glad I found these adaptations of classics in manga form because I have always been interested in these stories but not a fan of reading the actual classics so this series works out perfectly for me! The Great Expectations is a very interesting story I’d say, I wasn’t sure what to expect going into it but the characters and plot are very well written. The ending didn’t quite satisfy me and I wish there had been more romance but it was nice to see a change in Pip’s character, considering how much of a brat he was at some parts of the story 🌚 The art is absolutely beautiful and I will be definitely be picking up more of these books in the future
This retelling is a great introduction or retelling of the classic by Charles Dickens. Boiled down to its essential elements, readers learn the story of Pip through modern language and visuals rather than 19th century British English. The Japanese manga format that reads back to front and right panel to left is a fun twist for readers of English.
Manga Classics are such an amazing addition to any collection. Non-manga graphic novel retellings can be very hit or miss, but Manga Classics are great for their consistency in artwork and quality. Great Expectations is no exception. I will always request each new Manga Classic released in my collection to help struggling readers!
I love this artwork, so clean and pretty to look at. Having read the original novel in high school and hating it, I was pleasantly surprised to find that I greatly enjoyed the manga adaptation. The style was approachable and engaging, definitely something my students will like.
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens is beautifully illustrated. Our library has a few Manga Classics on our shelves, and this one will be added to the collection as well.
I read the original Great Expectations in high school (around 15 years ago). As far as I can remember, this manga version is fairly accurate to the original story.

Pip is a young boy whose parents are dead being raised by his older sister and her husband, a blacksmith. He helps an escaped convict by giving him a file and a meal. He visits an older lady named Miss Havisham occasionally and develops a crush on her adopted daughter Estella. Pip becomes an apprentice blacksmith, and four years later a mysterious benefactor (that he believes to be Miss Havisham) buys his indenture and sends him off to be educated as a gentleman. He continues to visit Miss Havisham occasionally over the years. He still loves Estella. Pip eventually discovers that his benefactor is actually the convict whom he helped. The convict is also Estella's biological father. Pip tries to help his benefactor escape persecution, but fails when his enemy reveals them. The benefactor dies before his execution date. Years later, Pip visits the ruined home of Miss Havisham and sees Estella again. They part as friends.
I enjoyed reading the manga version of this great, classic story. The first time I read this novel was when I was very young and the book was in an abridged form. I remember having so many questions, then. Recently I read the same abridged version and could understand it better. The actual novel...I need to make time for.

This manga version of this novel came in at just the right time for me. I applaud the crafters of this work, for encompassing the entire story in a way that was meaningful and easily understandable. The story of Pip's uncle and Compeyson became clear to me finally. Its great how Charles Dickens weaves all the characters together, so that each one is connected to the other in one way or the other.

I really wished this story had a different ending but I guess its better as it is. I couldn't help drawing the resemblance to Pip's relation to the convict and think of a similar convict relationship in the novel 'Les Miserables' by Victor Hugo.

Again its a classic rags to riches story by Dickens and provides almost a first hand account of the difficulties that disadvantaged children face to become successful.  Again London is shown to be a place of deceitful people mingled with the good people.  Just like the novel ' Oliver Twist'. Its really given me an incentive to read all of Dicken's works.
I enjoy classics being brought to the attention of a younger generation. I can appreciate when art, be it manga or comic is used to capture the attention of those who would, generally, not be interested in classic literature. I, myself, am a bit of a book enthusiast but sometimes find myself disinterested in reading something older than my grandparents. So thank you NetGalley, for the opportunity to try this book out!

The book stays fairly close to the original source material (obviously it won't be 100 percent authentic). But the real star of the show is the art- it's clean and holds your attention.

I would recommend this book!
I love Great Expectations, so this manga version was a joy to read. Not only is the artwork gorgeous, but the story flows beautifully with it. I adore Manga Classics’ versions of classical literature.
This was my first time reading (an adaptation of) Great Expectations by Charles Dickens and I really enjoyed it! It's a cautionary tale about what's truly important in life.

Spoiler alert: It's not about the money, money, money...
I am a big fan of Manga Classics. If you need a way to make classic works relatable to youth or just people in general in an easy to digest way, then I would for sure recommend Manga Classics.

I sometimes have a little trouble relating to the artwork in some of their adaptations (I am looking at you, Sense and Sensibility) the art work in this book is really well done. It is not distracting from the story, but actually adds to it.

It makes some of the more archaic language in some original works more accessible to people and I am always an advocate for that.
Great Expectations, a manga/graphic novel, was a solid 4 stars. This is the 5th Manga Classic book that I have read and it never seems to disappoint. As always, the artwork is beautiful and the book is easy to understand for both children and adults. I have never read the (classic) Great Expectations but recently ordered a clothbound edition that I’m excited to start reading next month.
The book centers around Pip, a young boy whose parents are both deceased and is being raised by his sister and her blacksmith husband Joe. Pip has had a hard life-with little money and treated cruelly by almost everyone he knows (with the exception of Joe), he’s desperate for a better life, the life of a gentleman. With a full cast of characters, including Miss Haversham (an eccentric woman who never got over her bitterness after being left at the altar) and her beautiful adopted daughter Estella- Great Expectations is well worth the read. Thank you NetGalley and the Publisher for providing me a copy in exchange for an honest review.
Turns out I just don't like manga. Maybe the translation's not good enough but I also just don't like the art style in general. Even when it's something I'm familiar with. It's too bad because I've heard so many good things about so many manga.
Just like always, amazing art, amazing adaptation! These books are a wonderful way to get into the classics, to make them seem less daunting! I love that this series exists: adaptation classics into fantastic mangas!
**I received a copy of this book in exchange of an honest review. All opinions are my own.**
I have never actually read Great Expectations. It wasn't one of the classics I was required to read in school (funny thing is that it was made required reading for 9th grade when I was in 10th). So I never really got the chance to read it, it's just never drawn my attention as other classics have. The thing I like most about the Manga Classics is that you get to read classics but in a more entertaining way. I could tell from this manga that I probably wouldn't have enjoyed the actual book. It was so confusing half the time and kinda boring. I've seen how long the actual book is and I definitely would not have made it through.
The art, as always was beautiful. Overall, I enjoyed reading it. It did, however, convince me that I do not need to read the actual book.
A fresh look at an old classic.  Many students find reading Dickens "hard" or "boring" to read.  Manga is popular and trendy at the moment so if we can use it as an access for the real text then lets do it.  Pages are full of colour and has translated the story very well.  I imagine many people will read this book that may not have picked up the original classic in fear of it.