Cover Image: Manga Classics: Great Expectations

Manga Classics: Great Expectations

I am no longer interested in reading this Title, and will therefore not be reviewing it. My Interest in books have changed over the years so due to my personal tastes changing, I cannot review this.
Considered by many to be Dickens' finest novel, Great Expectations traces the growth of the book's narrator, Philip Pirrip (Pip), from a boy of shallow dreams to a man with depth of character. From its famous dramatic opening on the bleak Kentish marshes, the story abounds with some of Dickens' most memorable characters. Among them are the kindly blacksmith Joe Gargery, the mysterious convict Abel Magwitch, the eccentric Miss Haversham and her beautiful ward Estella, Pip's good-hearted room-mate Herbert Pocket and the pompous Pumblechook. As Pip unravels the truth behind his own 'great expectations' in his quest to become a gentleman, the mysteries of the past and the convolutions of fate through a series of thrilling adventures serve to steer him towards maturity and his most important discovery of all - the truth about himself.

I loved the artwork and how well everything was illustrated even to the smallest details.This was a beautiful book to read. Highly recommended.
***I received a copy of Manga Classics: Great Expectations from NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.***
Received a digital ARC of this book via NetGalley.

Manga style retelling. Good for reluctant teen readers to read the classic tale.
I read the original classic a long time ago, so I really cannot remember how that goes, all I know is that it took me a long time to finish. For me, Dickens is harder to read than most other Classic Authors.
Again because of the Manga format I flew through this.
I really enjoyed the images in this Manga novel, and the characters are portrayed really well. Thank you for giving me this opportunity to read this story.
4/5 stars for this Manga, because of the story, not because of any flaw with the imaging.
This was one of my favorites of the ones that I borrowed.

These graphic novels stay very consistent to the story they are about. They also stay very consistent in the artwork. I feel I do not have any issues with the company that produced these. I have been able to read the whole selection and have enjoyed them.
I have always been a big fan of Dickens. In fact, my favorite book is A Christmas Carol. But, his larger works can be quite dark and depressing. Dickens lived through some rough times in his childhood and it certainly colored his writing. The first time I read Great Expectations, I remember thinking to myself about how absolutely F'd up every single character is.....there isn't a single character that doesn't have some darkness or flaw that puts a damper on their entire life. Even if they are just fictional creations, it's difficult to read through a story that shows so clearly how harsh human nature, the world, and society can be. I had to read Great Expectations twice during my school years....and never touched the book again. Too depressing. Too real.

But then I saw this manga version of the classic story. I decided to give Pip another visit. I'm glad I did. This manga classic follows the basics of the story closely enough, but it seemed somehow less depressing accompanied by manga-style artwork. I liked how the manga version ends....it seems to fit even how Dickens felt about the story himself.

The story is still intense, but I enjoyed this slightly condensed version much better than the original novel.

The adaptation of the story is good...the artwork is wonderful! I'm glad I read this version, even if the original story is not one of my favorites.
This was an interesting read. I enjoyed the pictures which were done very beautifully and were very good at portraying the character's reactions to the events in the plot via the facial expressions. I loved all the characters and the pictures were very good at ensuring that and portraying the personalities and behaviours of each of the characters in a way that words (in the original novel) would otherwise do. These manga classics made for such a fun and easy way to dive into a Charles Dickens book and enjoy the story without being hindered by the perhaps challenging vocabulary or anything else that may make you hesitate to read a Charles Dickens book.
I received this via netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Once of my favorite classics growing up! I love seeing this in Manga style. The art work was very well!! I loved it guys. This book was just what I wanted It to be. The world building was fun and enticing. The characters were very well flushed out. I loved the plot of this. I can not wait to read more by this author. I highly recommend this book.
I loved this book. The art is amazing and really brings out the story. I feel like I will remember this story better now than I did reading the original years ago.
I love all the manga adaptations of classics I've read so far. The art is beautiful and the story is adapted closely to the original. The ending is left open, however, as any who have read the original would know that Dickens wrote two endings for this story. This adaptation does not ally itself with either of them and lets the reader decide for themselves. I don't often like open endings, but it fits this book perfectly!

I've said this before in other reviews of their books that they make classics truly accessible to a reader who otherwise would not be inclined to pick up a classic. When I was child, I remember my dad used to buy me comic adaptations of classic literature as a way to get me interested in the original work. For a large part of my childhood I wasn't encouraged to read at all by our local small town school, so I never would have had the skill or ability to read the original works of many classics. I hope this book sparks a desire in people to pursue and read Dicken's original work. I know it would have for me if I hadn't read it already!
I have not read 'Great Expectations' by Charles Dickens novel version but after reading this manga adaptation by Nokman Poon, Crystal S Chan, Stacy King and published by  UDON Entertainment , I will be picking the novel version from the library or bookstore soon enough.

I read this full manga in one sitting. This outright had my full attention from beginning till end.

The illustrations were so good and they fully captured the essence of the whole story. The black and white artwork throughout the manga was so nice and beautiful. Be it showing the inner conflict Pip is going through or the imagery, the artwork is what truly captures the reader's heart.

Sometimes readings Dickens' works, you may have felt that he sometimes goes pages and pages about something which becomes tiresome. In this version that is not the case. And if you, like me, have also faced the problem of imagining the things or scenes mentioned in the old novels sometimes, well the art has solved that problem here.

This was my first manga and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

If you want to introduce someone especially young readers to the classics, this manga adaptation is something I highly recommend. I also recommend this to all the readers and book lovers.

I was provided an e-ARC by the publisher through Netgalley.
My favourite classic 'Great Expectations' in the famous Japanese Manga comic format. Beautiful illustrations and word bubbles precisely convey the story of personal growth & development of an orphan boy, Pip. If you are a beginner in classics or you don't want to read the original unabridged editions but still you want to know about the classic story, this one's the perfect pick for you. Once you are used to reading in the Manga style, it's easy-to-follow. Don't miss out reading your favourite classics in their Manga style.
This entire Manga Classics series idea is awesome. I've been meaning to read Great Expectations for a long time, but it's rather unwieldy and can feel inaccessible. After reading this manga version, I feel like I've got a good understanding of the story to build in when I do decide to read the entire unabridged novel.
Yet another superb Manga Classic. I have done a full review in the link below. I enjoyed reading through this and the art work is very well done. I also highly recommend it. I thank Net Galley for making this available.
{My thoughts} – I have not read the original book that this particular Manga is based on. However, I have to say that reading this version left me with a desire to want to read more. From the very beginning of the book, with the excellent illustrations, to the text within. This books pulled me directly into the 19th century England and it gave me the feeling that I was there right along side the characters in the story as it was unfolding.

This is a wonderful story about Pip and his journey to becoming something more, something greater then he’d been born to be. It is the story about his love for Estella and how even though he wasn’t born to privilege, that he still had the opportunity to obtain it through a benefactor located in London.

I’ve not attempted to read through the original the amount of pages are rather intimidating to me. I might give it a try one day, when I have time to concentrate on the material within it’s pages. In the meantime however, I have thoroughly enjoyed being able to read this version and have a realistic understanding of the original book, without having to read through quite so many pages!

I believe that the creation of these Manga Classics is a wonderful way to help get the newer generation of readers interested in the older classics. I look forward to sharing this version of this classic with my children.
I'm in love with all of the manga classics and Great Expectations was another amazing manga to read. The artwork was beautiful and I feel that it did a great job of re-telling Dickens classic story.
One of my favorite manga classics to date.

Great Expectations has been a favorite of mine since I first read it back in high school, but I love this fresh take on an old classic. Wonderful as it is, Dickens has always felt less accessible than some other classics, so I love that this version aims to appeal  to the masses while still feeling authentic to devotees of the Dickens original.
Such a great classic! I adored reading this! Beautifully done! I highly recommend this one!! Simply addictive!
I enjoyed the art but haven't enjoyed the story very much. I'm not familiar with the original, but this adaptation took me too long to read it. And we're talking about a manga book, which reads much faster. Points for adaptation of classics to a more friendly format for reading them.
I only read Great Expectations once in high school but for some reason I remember it very vividly. To this day, years and years later, I can still recall exact phrases used in certain scenes. I adore this book and when I saw that there was a manga I knew I needed to get my hands on it.

I flew through this (reading it in a day, as opposed to the weeks- or months?- it took me to read the original tale) and for the most part genuinely enjoyed it.

It was, however, too short. There were parts where I felt like we lost important things, even small lines, that added depth to the story, and I missed them. If we were given another 50 pages or so, I would have given this book 5 stars. I was also disappointed that narration was told in third person and we often got snippets of thought from different characters; I missed the first person view of the original (especially since I know it can be done in this format- as proven by the Jane Eyre manga).

And I would be amiss not mentioning that the author chose to not go with Dickens’ second ending, leaving it more open ended. I understand the choice but that last line is one of my favorites in all of literature so it was a little heartbreaking to get to the end and see it not included.

I did like it however and felt it a faithful adaptation to Dickens’ classic (which is surprisingly rare- so often people get this one so very wrong). The characters were well drawn and the story had good pacing. I loved diving into the story again and getting to see all my favorite characters once more- I truly forgot just how much I adore all these people and I wanted to hug them all up now and never forget just how much they mean to me. Pip and Estella and Biddy and Joe Gargery and Herbert Pocket and all the rest. And this story. I always forget just how complex and amazing this story is.

But I also think this manga would be enjoyable to someone unfamiliar with the original work. As much as there was stuff I felt missing the bones and a good deal of the heart of the story are there and it’s a wonderful way to get the story at least in part. I would recommend this to people, though with the warning- as always- that the book is better. But as I only have an e-copy as is, you can bet I will be getting my hands on a paperback as soon as possible. This is one I will enjoy rereading again and again.

(I received a free copy of this from the publisher in exchange for an honest review)